Valkyrie: Better Late Than Never

Despite dropping off the face of the planet the last several months, things have been going really well! I'm weight stable thanks to Eat To Perform, lifting regularly, and seeing some body recomp that makes me preen just a little bit... However, I'd like to be more present in the NF world again, and as I'm counting down to my Spartan Sprint I think the accountability will do me in good stead! 

My entire Spartan team that I've been training with since January or so has bailed on me for the Spartan Sprint in Idaho on June 24th. All 5 of them! Lame. However, Mr. Honeybunches heard of my predicament, and since he was planning to come for a visit anyway in July, said he'd come the last week of June and run it with me! Because he's the absolute freaking best future husband ever! So, even though he can only come for a quick 8 days, it's gonna be the bestest and I can't wait!! 

Onto the goals!

• HIIT the gym 4x a week! (see what I did there?)
    • I was floundering a couple weeks ago: Do I want to go for muscle mass? Should I focus more on straight lifts? Then I remembered my goals: I want to CRUSH those obstacle course races and enjoy myself, and not necessarily feel like dying halfway through (though that may or may not happen anyway, let's be real). In order to CRUSH THE OCR, I need muscle and cardio for days. HIIT it is, 4x a week, with a portion of each session dedicated to straight lifting because Gains Train.
  •  Run 1 to 2 times a week
    • I did NOT learn to love running last challenge...I learned that I do NOT love running, and so I will not be doing Ragnar, the relay race from hell, after all. However, as I approach my racing season (hehe), I will be faced with running a 5k, an 8-10 miler, and a 12-14 miler plus obstacles, so I gotta get my butt in gear anyway. 1-2 times a week is all I am willing to commit at the moment, we'll see how it works for me with this Sprint, and I'll up my game for the Super and Beast if needs be, and I reckon I will need to...hills, anyone??
  •  Drink 100 oz water/day
    • Self Explanatory =)
  • LISS-en More
    • Low Intensity Steady State (AKA: getting my steps in/going for fun, easy bike rides/doing CIZE videos with mom/ walking in place while watching Kubo and The Two Strings for 3k steps like I did last night....). I walk all day at work, but on the weekends I workout on Saturday and do not much else. I want at least 8k steps on Friday and Saturday, or an equivalent activity conversion (like riding my bike or whatnot), because not all movement has to kick your ass to be worthwhile! 
  • Extra Credit: any extra gym sessions/classes/hikes/long bike rides, whatever extra activity it may be, I get to tick the EC box, just for funsies! =)
  • Extra, Extra Credit: Check in on my thread and others' threads at least three times a week!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

My entire Spartan team that I've been training with since January or so has bailed on me for the Spartan Sprint in Idaho on June 24th. All 5 of them! Lame.

You know, your Spartan team are a big bunch of wusses :P

Great news that the Irish lad is coming to run with you although you'd totally own it if you ran solo! 

• Like 2

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

6 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

You know, your Spartan team are a big bunch of wusses :P

Great news that the Irish lad is coming to run with you although you'd totally own it if you ran solo! 

lol you're telling me! They were like, "well we can do the one in August, you can probably transfer your entry."

I said, "I'm already signed up for my full trifecta, I'll run it by myself, no worries." (They literally had like 4 months to save $130 for the entry...poor planning on their part does not constitute an emergency on mine! /endsnark)

Thanks Jon! I actually think I could do it alone, too, but the minute I told The Irish Lad what happened he said, "I'll be there." *swoon* (who needs roses or fancy jewelry? Have adventures with me!)

Today was a good day! I got to end it with 2 tbsp of peanut butter and 2 oz of turkey meat (not eaten together) because I realized I was like 350 calories short on fats and protein, and I gots to fuel the gainz #neverundereatingagain

• Like 2
8 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

lol you're telling me! They were like, "well we can do the one in August, you can probably transfer your entry."

I said, "I'm already signed up for my full trifecta, I'll run it by myself, no worries." (They literally had like 4 months to save $130 for the entry...poor planning on their part does not constitute an emergency on mine! /endsnark)

You know, at they rate they are going, it wouldn't surprise me if you've done your entire Trifecta before they've even started :P way to show them how a real Ranger Does it! Commit then train, don't train to commit. 

22 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

Run 1 to 2 times a week

• I did NOT learn to love running last challenge...I learned that I do NOT love running, and so I will not be doing Ragnar, the relay race from hell, after all. However, as I approach my racing season (hehe), I will be faced with running a 5k, an 8-10 miler, and a 12-14 miler plus obstacles, so I gotta get my butt in gear anyway. 1-2 times a week is all I am willing to commit at the moment, we'll see how it works for me with this Sprint, and I'll up my game for the Super and Beast if needs be, and I reckon I will need to...hills, anyone??

Okay, so 5K is easy. You know that as well as I. You've easily got the CV system to see that through and at a reasonable click so a 1-2 day commitment is fine. I'd still push you to go longer and slower on one of those days. 

I hate to tell you but 10+ miles is really a different animal altogether and you are going to want miles under your legs for those. If only to let you body know what it means to go for a real distance and allow adaptation for going the distance, so that you know what to expect from your legs after a long haul and so that you understand mentally what a 12 mile pace really feels like.  Because it isn't your CV that is going to be your limiting factor but the muscular endurance in your legs. 

Personally, I'd highly recommend running on trails because I find that it is a lot of fun and you can distract yourself by dodging around trees and over rocks and not really focus on the fact that you are running so many miles. Although I did discover I love running so what can I say :P 

As for hills, yeah. Those are going to help. Running down hill as well as up because they put very different stresses on the body. You might actually like hill repeats where you hate steady state! Because shortish bursts of high intensity followed by gasping for air at the top. I'm very thankful right now that I put in the time and effort for them. 

Our Beast isn't up in the crazy hills but you can bet it isn't going to be flat :) 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

On May 8, 2017 at 4:29 AM, jonfirestar said:

You know, at they rate they are going, it wouldn't surprise me if you've done your entire Trifecta before they've even started :P way to show them how a real Ranger Does it! Commit then train, don't train to commit. 

Okay, so 5K is easy. You know that as well as I. You've easily got the CV system to see that through and at a reasonable click so a 1-2 day commitment is fine. I'd still push you to go longer and slower on one of those days. 

I hate to tell you but 10+ miles is really a different animal altogether and you are going to want miles under your legs for those. If only to let you body know what it means to go for a real distance and allow adaptation for going the distance, so that you know what to expect from your legs after a long haul and so that you understand mentally what a 12 mile pace really feels like.  Because it isn't your CV that is going to be your limiting factor but the muscular endurance in your legs. 

Personally, I'd highly recommend running on trails because I find that it is a lot of fun and you can distract yourself by dodging around trees and over rocks and not really focus on the fact that you are running so many miles. Although I did discover I love running so what can I say :P 

As for hills, yeah. Those are going to help. Running down hill as well as up because they put very different stresses on the body. You might actually like hill repeats where you hate steady state! Because shortish bursts of high intensity followed by gasping for air at the top. I'm very thankful right now that I put in the time and effort for them. 

Our Beast isn't up in the crazy hills but you can bet it isn't going to be flat :) 

Ha, so true...I hope they follow through, cause it would be fun, but otherwise I'll do that darn Super myself haha. 

Ugh, I know you're right, I'm going to do a long run and a sprint or hills session probably, and see how that goes! I can't wait to start doing trails, actually! I live in the foothills of the Rockies (a mountain range called the Wasatch mountains), and I'm 20 minutes from dozens of trails, I just need to get on it! 

I'm concerned about the amount of burpees I'll have to do on our Beast! =p  Cause if it's rainy, how do you hold onto monkey bars and the like? I'll just be slipping off of everything! 

Yesterday:

Gym: Check!

Water: Check, I think (forgot my little tape bits to help me track)

It's sunny and wonderful here, after several weeks of rain and canyon winds. I reckon this will last approximately four days, and then we will be thrust into the boiling heat of summer until the middle of September (maybe a slight exaggeration, but basically, we always go from winter to Insta-Summer haha). I'm going to go for a walk or maybe a little sprint session on my lunch break, to enjoy the balmy weather! 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

I'm concerned about the amount of burpees I'll have to do on our Beast! =p  Cause if it's rainy, how do you hold onto monkey bars and the like? I'll just be slipping off of everything! 

Well considering my current experience with Monkey bars is grabbing the first one, going for the second one and then taking a swim :P yeah. I'd been confident with my grip strength but I'd not practiced monkey bars. It felt impossible to do it. My grip was far more shot than I'd anticipated by that time in the race and I'd been dunked in ice water and covered in mud multiple times. I have an idea to take a pair of grippy gloves but try to keep them dry and not muddy in a ziplock until needed.  Not that it will help in the rain. 

I now know I absolutely need to practice monkey bars and monkey rings. I'm a little self conscious about using bars in the local playground but it's not like anyone is using them at 5:30am when I'm out there training anyway. 

I also need to practice my burpees! Gotta suck it up and make it so that I can pump out 30 without worrying too much.

6 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

I bought some Altra trail shoes today for $21! Stoked to give them a shot this weekend!! 

Still jealous :P Trails are so much fun I hope you enjoy.  I like it when they are a little technical and you have to have quick feet and constantly be looking for ways to move over the terrain keeping your brain one step ahead of your feet. 

I'm also a little envious of your location. Sounds amazing. (Although I've also got some amazing countryside nearby but have only ever scratched the surface). 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

On May 10, 2017 at 1:46 AM, jonfirestar said:

Well considering my current experience with Monkey bars is grabbing the first one, going for the second one and then taking a swim :P yeah. I'd been confident with my grip strength but I'd not practiced monkey bars. It felt impossible to do it. My grip was far more shot than I'd anticipated by that time in the race and I'd been dunked in ice water and covered in mud multiple times. I have an idea to take a pair of grippy gloves but try to keep them dry and not muddy in a ziplock until needed.  Not that it will help in the rain. 

I now know I absolutely need to practice monkey bars and monkey rings. I'm a little self conscious about using bars in the local playground but it's not like anyone is using them at 5:30am when I'm out there training anyway. 

I also need to practice my burpees! Gotta suck it up and make it so that I can pump out 30 without worrying too much.

Still jealous :P Trails are so much fun I hope you enjoy.  I like it when they are a little technical and you have to have quick feet and constantly be looking for ways to move over the terrain keeping your brain one step ahead of your feet. 

I'm also a little envious of your location. Sounds amazing. (Although I've also got some amazing countryside nearby but have only ever scratched the surface). 

Haha yikes! Was it high? That alone would have made me fail haha. I have been working on the monkey bars every day that I go to the gym, and whenever I pass them on a playground! I started out unable to do them at all, mostly due to nervousness, and now I can do them consistently, and reach the higher and lower alternating bars. I'd say if there are children at the playground at 5:30 AM, run the other way; they're probably vampires. 

My biggest concern is that my nerves will get the best of me! If I start thinking "oh man, can I do this?" I usually end up not being able to cause my brain gives up before I even try. Very irritating and non-badass. 

Yes, the burpees are killer! Its taken a few months, but I've finally gotten to the point that I can just throw my feet back and hit the deck, which is making the process a lot quicker, if not any easier. I'm doing 30 burpees at the end of every workout, and usually do 10 or 15 to warm up. I'm gonna start doing 3x10 burpees every day, whether it's a workout day or not, and increase to 30 in the morning and 30 at night. 

I've lived in Utah my whole life, and because my family wasn't very outdoors-y, I haven't explored that much of the natural playground at my doorstep, but, as the title says, better late than never! I'm in Utah for a few more months, and I want to make sure I take advantage of the great place I live! 

5e6e08daff80f548c80949a386ba37a9x.jpg

This is the view of the Wasatch mountains from my town (just a stock photo, it's such a pain to upload pictures!). 

• Like 1

Wednesday May 10th

Workout: Yes! Lifting and HIIT! 

Things of note:

1. I have DOUBLED my two-handed kettle bell swing weight from 25 lbs when I started back in September, to 50 lbs today! Woot! 

2. I bench pressed two #30 dumbbells, instead of using a #60 barbell, which has been a no-go due to poor shoulder stability, and had no pain and no issues! I should mention, that this is also DOUBLE what I used to do, as I started with #15 dumbbells. 

3. My butt looks damn good in my workout leggings....I'm just sayin'...victories where you can get them! =p 

Water: Yes! 

LISS: Yes! Cycling with mom nearly every day this week, and we did 4.8 miles yesterday, a new record for her. 

Today, Thursday:

It's my Friday again...I'm glad, but also somewhat dismayed. Where the hell is the time going? It helps to have a job I don't hate, my days don't drag on and on in misery, and I'm usually done before I know it at 5 pm or so. And going for bike rides and doing the gym in the morning helps me feel like I"m living my life during the week, and not just slogging away...but still, slow down, time, just slow down a little. 

Going for a run in about ten minutes, when the sun is up a bit higher, and maybe going for a walk by the river this evening or another bike ride. Maybe I'll pick up a bike rack so we can go a bit further afield.

Random List of Important Things To Take To Ireland:

Electronic Food Scale

PBFIT (preferably a whole container.... "it's not drugs, airport security person, it's powdered peanut butter, and it's the best.") 

Bicycle 

Jump Rope (for when I can't make myself run, but the cardio's gotta happen) 

Wide Mouthed Mason Jar for my overnight oats, because my mother-in-law doesn't already think I'm strange enough...

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, x Valkyrie x said:

Haha yikes! Was it high? That alone would have made me fail haha. I have been working on the monkey bars every day that I go to the gym, and whenever I pass them on a playground! I started out unable to do them at all, mostly due to nervousness, and now I can do them consistently, and reach the higher and lower alternating bars. I'd say if there are children at the playground at 5:30 AM, run the other way; they're probably vampires. 

It was fairly high. I was probably dangling about six feet over the water and they go further up but I never got that far. The fall was long enough that I remember thinking "I hope I don't hit anything hard" the water was also a lot deeper than I was expecting. I really want to get better at the monkey bars :) in the summertime the sun is long up by 5:30am so I'm sure they are not vampires... they might be zombies though! The bars in the big playground (I run right past it on my morning runs) are in the same kind of inverted v as they had at TM So it would be great practice. 

1 hour ago, x Valkyrie x said:

My biggest concern is that my nerves will get the best of me! If I start thinking "oh man, can I do this?" I usually end up not being able to cause my brain gives up before I even try. Very irritating and non-badass. 

We are our own worst enemy. I'll admit that I had zero confidence of making it across the monkey bars and that didn't help my chances. Consistent practice will make it so that you are confident you can do them. Other than that it is just a matter of keeping control of your emotions in a race situation. 

Yes, the burpees are killer! Its taken a few months, but I've finally gotten to the point that I can just throw my feet back and hit the deck, which is making the process a lot quicker, if not any easier. I'm doing 30 burpees at the end of every workout, and usually do 10 or 15 to warm up. I'm gonna start doing 3x10 burpees every day, whether it's a workout day or not, and increase to 30 in the morning and 30 at night. 

Yeah I've only been doing conditioning once a week (gotta increase that) and I've been throwing them in there. I've only got up to 12 in any one set though. I want to increase that so I'm pumping them out in sets of 30. Learning to kick your legs out and hitting the deck and knowing that you can 'roll' yourself up wards rather than doing an actual pushup make the movement a little more efficient and fluid it if not any less awful :) I think you have the right idea I might steal that. 

e lived in Utah my whole life, and because my family wasn't very outdoors-y, I haven't explored that much of the natural playground at my doorstep, but, as the title says, better late than never! I'm in Utah for a few more months, and I want to make sure I take advantage of the great place I live! 

You're not the only one. I've lived in this area the vast majority of my life and I've explored so little of it.

High-Wycombe-hotels-the-chiltern-hills.j

I've only got hills and not mountains, but they are pretty hills ;) The area around me is officially designated as an 'Area of outstanding natural beauty' gotta go do more exploring!

I hope you take the time to get out and enjoy Utah! Run in the Rockies and be that badass adventurer. Those mountains look truly awesome. 

Random List of Important Things To Take To Ireland:

Electronic Food Scale

PBFIT (preferably a whole container.... "it's not drugs, airport security person, it's powdered peanut butter, and it's the best.") 

Bicycle 

Jump Rope (for when I can't make myself run, but the cardio's gotta happen) 

Wide Mouthed Mason Jar for my overnight oats, because my mother-in-law doesn't already think I'm strange enough...

Just putting this out there, you can buy most of this stuff in Ireland and probably for less than it's gonna cost to ship it (maybe not PBFIT) 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

37 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

It was fairly high. I was probably dangling about six feet over the water and they go further up but I never got that far. The fall was long enough that I remember thinking "I hope I don't hit anything hard" the water was also a lot deeper than I was expecting. I really want to get better at the monkey bars :) in the summertime the sun is long up by 5:30am so I'm sure they are not vampires... they might be zombies though! The bars in the big playground (I run right past it on my morning runs) are in the same kind of inverted v as they had at TM So it would be great practice. 

We are our own worst enemy. I'll admit that I had zero confidence of making it across the monkey bars and that didn't help my chances. Consistent practice will make it so that you are confident you can do them. Other than that it is just a matter of keeping control of your emotions in a race situation. 

Yeah I've only been doing conditioning once a week (gotta increase that) and I've been throwing them in there. I've only got up to 12 in any one set though. I want to increase that so I'm pumping them out in sets of 30. Learning to kick your legs out and hitting the deck and knowing that you can 'roll' yourself up wards rather than doing an actual pushup make the movement a little more efficient and fluid it if not any less awful :) I think you have the right idea I might steal that. 

You're not the only one. I've lived in this area the vast majority of my life and I've explored so little of it.

High-Wycombe-hotels-the-chiltern-hills.j

I've only got hills and not mountains, but they are pretty hills ;) The area around me is officially designated as an 'Area of outstanding natural beauty' gotta go do more exploring!

I hope you take the time to get out and enjoy Utah! Run in the Rockies and be that badass adventurer. Those mountains look truly awesome. 

Just putting this out there, you can buy most of this stuff in Ireland and probably for less than it's gonna cost to ship it (maybe not PBFIT) 

The sun is up by 5:30?? Weird!!!

practice makes perfect, whether it's monkey bars, burpees, running, or mental toughness!   I would say definitely kick up your conditioning to at least twice a week, your lung capacity and heart efficiency will thank you later! Be careful with the burpees on the push-up, you still want to try to maintain good form or you may get lower back/shoulder pain, just something to be aware of.

Lol i know, I know...but I want MY food scale...maybe I don't have to bring the mason jar...but I like it, cause it's wide mouthed and easy to stir....it'll fit in my suit case! :P and I'm already planning to bring my bike as oversized luggage, it's an extra hundred bucks but I love my bike lol (way more than I love the inconsistent Irish bus system...) I guess I can get a jump rope when I get there...

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, x Valkyrie x said:

The sun is up by 5:30?? Weird!!!

practice makes perfect, whether it's monkey bars, burpees, running, or mental toughness!   I would say definitely kick up your conditioning to at least twice a week, your lung capacity and heart efficiency will thank you later! Be careful with the burpees on the push-up, you still want to try to maintain good form or you may get lower back/shoulder pain, just something to be aware of.

Lol i know, I know...but I want MY food scale...maybe I don't have to bring the mason jar...but I like it, cause it's wide mouthed and easy to stir....it'll fit in my suit case! :P and I'm already planning to bring my bike as oversized luggage, it's an extra hundred bucks but I love my bike lol (way more than I love the inconsistent Irish bus system...) I guess I can get a jump rope when I get there...

lol, fair enough. I bought a bunch of wide mouthed mason jars recently for my overnight oats. They also stack in the fridge nicely as an extra bonus. I understand the bike btw. That is worth shipping for a hundred bucks.

Yeah, at this time of year the sun is up by 5:30. Sunrise is about 5:15 meaning it actually starts to get light around 4:30am sunset is also 9:15pm and it'll be light long after that. By mid summer sunrise is 4 something and it never actually gets fully dark. That is a very short period of time though. Unfortunately there is a downside in that the opposite is also true. In December there are only a few hours of sunlight. I love the long days. It'll be similar in Ireland :)

21 minutes ago, x Valkyrie x said:

Be careful with the burpees on the push-up, you still want to try to maintain good form or you may get lower back/shoulder pain, just something to be aware of.

I don't mean to do any weird contortionist stuff :) but that you don't need to do a 'full' pushup. It feels more efficient to push up off your knees (maintaining form) before hopping your feet under you so you can jump up. If that makes sense. 

27 minutes ago, x Valkyrie x said:

I done did it this morning! 2.4 miles in 24 minutes...if I had planned my route ahead of time I would have tacked on the extra half mile, I had it in me. Next run will probably be sprints Sunday :) 

Like a boss! 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

In my attempts to up my activity levels on the weekends, I decided to ride my bike to my doctor's appointment, as it's only a mile and a half from my house. All hunky dory, made it to the appointment, where, incidentally, I did my asthma check up and came back with levels not indicative of having asthma! (Last time, about 5 years ago, I was told my lungs performed at the level of someone 15 years older than my current age, so, that's awesome!)

Then, I was riding my bike to the Starbucks down the street to meet my mom for a coffee, and I hit a pot hole or a raised road divider, or something, and went head over handlebars! I remember thinking, "shit, not my collar bones, oh god the road rash is gonna suck" or something thereabouts. I didn't land in the middle of traffic, so that was a win! And I didn't break anything! I did get some nasty gouges in my elbow and my knee, and got covered in road muck (my leg is not terribly bruised, just terribly dirty, phew!) 

Two cars stopped to help me, an older lady and a guy, and the lady offered to give me a ride home but said my bike wouldn't fit in her car, I said, "thank you, but I can't leave my bike." I walked the 2 blocks to Starbucks and called my mom, starting the conversation with, "I'm Ok." which is never good! (the last time I started a conversation that way I had just stabbed myself through the finger, and the time before that I had totaled my mom's van...)

She came and got me and took me home. I full on cried when I had to scrub the road grit out of the road rash with my Dad's surgical wound cleaner (that stuff is like hellfire!), but I got 'er done. Mom said I'm a beast haha, I think it was almost as painful for her to watch me do it as it was for me to do it!  

Then we took my bike to the bike shop, because the left gear thingy (technical term) was bent in and I feared something was broken. The bike guy was able to fix it and just need new handle wraps and a gear hood, so it'll be good as new by Wednesday!  

We're celebrating Mother's Day tomorrow, so I'm gonna go ahead and take tomorrow off from the gym and just try to get my steps in and eat my protein haha. 

Yaouch, I'm glad to see you're okay and nothing is broken!  I hope you were wearing a helmet. Just look at it as extreme Spartan training for the inevitable scrapes and bruises to come :P 

3 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

She came and got me and took me home. I full on cried when I had to scrub the road grit out of the road rash with my Dad's surgical wound cleaner (that stuff is like hellfire!), but I got 'er done. Mom said I'm a beast haha, I think it was almost as painful for her to watch me do it as it was for me to do it!  

You are a beast! That's painful to think about let alone watch. 

because the left gear thingy (technical term)

Lever? Thingy is a bit ambiguous :P 

We're celebrating Mother's Day tomorrow, so I'm gonna go ahead and take tomorrow off from the gym and just try to get my steps in and eat my protein haha. 

Or, as I like to call it: Mother's Day II 

:P 

I hope you don't hurt too much when you wake up. 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

On 5/12/2017 at 7:47 PM, Elastigirl said:

Ouch! Glad nothing is broken though. A mom knows that "I'm OK, isn't probably going to be followed by great news.:)

Yeah, poor lady, I seem to have that conversation at least once a year...

On 5/12/2017 at 11:03 PM, jonfirestar said:

Yaouch, I'm glad to see you're okay and nothing is broken!  I hope you were wearing a helmet. Just look at it as extreme Spartan training for the inevitable scrapes and bruises to come :P 

You are a beast! That's painful to think about let alone watch. 

Lever? Thingy is a bit ambiguous :P 

Or, as I like to call it: Mother's Day II 

:P 

I hope you don't hurt too much when you wake up. 

I was definitely wearing a helmet! What's incredible is that the road rash was as limited as it was, and I didn't break my arm even though I landed on it! 

It it still hurts like a sonuvabitch, but I made it to the gym today and it actually felt better after all the movement (which is ironic that I'm surprised, because I tell people every day that they will feel better if they move a bit!).

im following a new training program that incorporates 4 days of lifting, 2 active recovery days and a full rest day, so I'm excited to have a bit of structure and see how it goes! 

• Like 2
On 16/05/2017 at 2:23 AM, x Valkyrie x said:

Yeah, poor lady, I seem to have that conversation at least once a year...

I was definitely wearing a helmet! What's incredible is that the road rash was as limited as it was, and I didn't break my arm even though I landed on it! 

It it still hurts like a sonuvabitch, but I made it to the gym today and it actually felt better after all the movement (which is ironic that I'm surprised, because I tell people every day that they will feel better if they move a bit!).

im following a new training program that incorporates 4 days of lifting, 2 active recovery days and a full rest day, so I'm excited to have a bit of structure and see how it goes! 

I'm glad to hear you had a helmet :) but I bet it sure does hurt like crazy still. That kind of road rash will let you know it's really angry.

I'm interested in your new program. What do your active recovery days look like?

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I'm glad to hear you had a helmet but I bet it sure does hurt like crazy still. That kind of road rash will let you know it's really angry.

I'm interested in your new program. What do your active recovery days look like?

I lift two days, and then there's a LISS day of 30-45 minutes, so I'm doing a run on that day. Then 2 lifting days, and a "low slow conditioning" for 45-75 minutes, which I'm doing a leisurely bike ride or going for a long walk. 

So 2 strength, 1 run, 2 strength, 1 walk/bicycle ride, 1 rest day. 

I didn't run this week, because it snowed and I'll take any excuse not to run lol (sad but true).

Today is my 4th lifting day, but im lifting with a friend so I probably won't follow the prescribed exercises super close (except to make sure my first and main lift is the shoulder press) and then tomorrow is supposed to be the low slow day, but it's my Spartan training day, so I may need to adjust the schedule so that I'm getting my low intensity days in. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, x Valkyrie x said:

I didn't run this week, because it snowed and I'll take any excuse not to run lol (sad but true).

It snowed in May? Weird.

Sounds like your long and slow day would be perfect for a long slow run :devilish: so you could get 2 good runs in a week. What could be more fun than a 75 minute trail run! 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

It snowed in May? Weird.

Sounds like your long and slow day would be perfect for a long slow run :devilish: so you could get 2 good runs in a week. What could be more fun than a 75 minute trail run! 

Yeah...we went from about 26 C to 4 C overnight. Anyone who planted their tomatoes last weekend during the heat wave are looking at sad, frost-bitten 'maters now.... 

Um....yeah. yeah. I need to give that a shot and see if I like it better! I don't have anyone to run the trails with me, which make me a bit nervous, but there are so many trails that are just off of neighborhoods and stuff, I bet it'd be fine. 

• Like 1
On 19/05/2017 at 1:59 PM, x Valkyrie x said:

Um....yeah. yeah. I need to give that a shot and see if I like it better! I don't have anyone to run the trails with me, which make me a bit nervous, but there are so many trails that are just off of neighborhoods and stuff, I bet it'd be fine. 

Oh it's not like you are going long distances. Just a few miles out :) Although I hear you about not having anyone to go with you. 

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler