T-Rose Gives It Another Go

Wobbegong

I usually don't make it through a full challenge because my desire to hang about on the forums tends to last only one or two weeks at a time. Once I'm not reporting back, I'm not accountable, and then.... So I figure I'll jump in for just the last two weeks of this challenge and see how it goes! I'm off FB for the month of May anyway so I have a slightly higher than usual desire to be on the forums as a substitute. 

I do have trouble with setting my goals too high and/or choosing too many things. So this time I'm going to limit my ambition and get rid of point scoring (everything will be P/F) and just track wether or not I did the thing.

Fitness: 

- I'm working on GMB's Elements program but nowhere near the rate they suggest (it's a daily program with one rest day/week; I usually do one or two of them a week. Yikes!) so I will make this week's goal "figure out a better time to set aside to do the program and schedule workouts into my calendar at that time for the next week." I'm usually pretty good at doing what my calendar says but not very good at putting things on it, so hopefully doing the program will follow naturally form having the time set aside. This goal is literally just put things on my calendar, but to make sure it's working, I will be tracking how often I actually follow through with the plans as listed. 

- Depending on how this week goes, next week's goal might be "keep up momentum by continuing to schedule workouts at that time and do them" or "start over/find a new time and schedule and see how that goes for a week"

Nutrition: 

- I have a lot of nutrition goals because diet is my biggest stumbling block right now, and I'm tempted to list a bunch of them and go for it. That's a bad way to plan a challenge, though, so I'll stick to one: "don't go back for seconds at dinner." Not only am I usually not hungry when I do this (I just eat really delicious food all the time... it's a problem) but it often causes other members of my household to go back for more food THEY'RE not hungry for in an effort to "finish it" which means there aren't any leftovers for lunch the next day which means I have to spend money or plan ahead and make/pack something. So I just won't do it. That food will be there for me tomorrow. 

This is a daily goal (since I eat dinner every day) so it's a little harder to give a P/F on whether or not I did it (doing it once doesn't seem like enough...). I also don't always eat dinners that have leftovers so that screws with the base number of days a little. I'll say passing is successfully refusing opportunities for leftovers more than half of the time. 

Life: 

- "Set up a personal spend/earn tracker." I know there are apps for this and I've tried a few but I prefer to track my purchases by hand because it helps me connect the dots a little better between the data I'm looking at and the fact that it comes from my spending habits. My spend tracker will be in google sheets and I will know I have earned a passing grade on this goal when I have this year's spending and earning data filled in and a graph or chart of spending by category over time. 

- If by some freak chance I finish this goal today (it is my plan for the afternoon), my reach goal is to start reading my birthday book, Cannibalism: A Perfectly Natural History by Bill Schutt. 

• Like 2

Hello T. Rose,

Your goals are well stated this time. Good luck with everything. Especially the "not going back for seconds" one. That one can be a trip spot for me too. Keeping a food journal of some kind helps me: seeing the calories increasing because I "wasn't thinking, just noshing"  is a great deterrent. 

1 hour ago, Rainsong Bearamong said:

Hello T. Rose,

Your goals are well stated this time. Good luck with everything. Especially the "not going back for seconds" one. That one can be a trip spot for me too. Keeping a food journal of some kind helps me: seeing the calories increasing because I "wasn't thinking, just noshing"  is a great deterrent. 

Thanks for your support Rainsong! I was tracking calories for a while last year using MFP but keeping up with it felt both time-consuming and overly regimented. Plus figuring out all the calories for things I was home cooking was a pain. But maybe it's time to try again? 

That "not thinking, just noshing" point is really good... my problem is anytime I'm eating while watching television (which is basically every dinner plus a lot of other time throughout the day for me right now... since I watch TV while I work :(). So I'm trying to be extra-aware during those times, and also avoid doing other things while I eat in general where possible. Here's hoping! 

• Like 1

STATUS UPDATE 5/8: 

Exercise Goal: I am still thinking morning is the best time for working out, and I set my alarm early this morning, but...

I did not calendar my workout. (And I did not get up and do it when my alarm went off either.) I keep telling myself I don't have to get up early, I could just go to work later (I usually get to the office at about 8) but the traffic gets so bad I talk myself out of it. Maybe I'll schedule some time this evening?

Nutrition Goal: I did not go back for seconds last night. There was enough leftover to make one extra taco and I let someone else have it. I did bring leftovers from a previous meal to work today for lunch, too. So PASS! For last night at least. 

Life Goal: I have this years spending filled in! And a pivot table of the information! But a pivot table does not count as a visual representation and... dun dun dunnnn... gsheets won't let me make a graph from a pivot table. YET. 

I have determined I can get around this by manually converting the pivot table data into a separate dataspread for the graphs and just updating that as necessary. (Normally I would do this sort of project in Excel but with Gsheets I can update my data as I make purchases, anytime, anywhere... and also my computer is old and doesn't handle Excel well anymore.) 

• Like 3
19 hours ago, tyrannosaurus rose said:

Life Goal: I have this years spending filled in! And a pivot table of the information! But a pivot table does not count as a visual representation and... dun dun dunnnn... gsheets won't let me make a graph from a pivot table. YET. 

I have determined I can get around this by manually converting the pivot table data into a separate dataspread for the graphs and just updating that as necessary. (Normally I would do this sort of project in Excel but with Gsheets I can update my data as I make purchases, anytime, anywhere... and also my computer is old and doesn't handle Excel well anymore.) 

Haha, this sounds like my husband. He's way better with spreadsheets than I am and if it can go in a spreadsheet it will go in a spreadsheet. :P

Welcome back! It looks like you have some clear goals and are getting a good start on them or a good start to troubleshooting how to make them work for you. Great start! Keep it up :)

Rebel Death Knight

Level 3 : Progress [ = _ _ _ ]

Challenges: [4] Current / 3 / 2 / 1

On 5/9/2017 at 4:15 AM, Hymnusal said:

If it can go in a spreadsheet it will go in a spreadsheet. :P

Welcome back! It looks like you have some clear goals and are getting a good start on them or a good start to troubleshooting how to make them work for you. Great start! Keep it up :)

Seriously if it can go in a spreadsheet... where else does it belong??? (lol it's probably true that I use them far more than necessary... I just like them!)

Thanks for the welcome and the support! 

• Like 1

STATUS UPDATE 5/10:

Exercise Goal: As noted on 5/8 I planned to get up early that morning and work out and then slept in instead. Whoops. But I tried again -- after posting I calendared a workout for 5/8 evening AND THEN I DID IT!!! WHOA. 

I also calendared for 5/9 but my alert didn't go off so I missed the boat on that one. UGH. 
Today I went ahead and asked myself "wtf are you doing don't make this so hard" and calendared the rest of my workouts for the week!!! So PASS and hopefully this works out. 

Nutrition Goal: I have been doing a really great job of not eating seconds at dinner! Last night I almost slipped up and then I remembered this was a challenge and held strong! So pleased. 

As a side effect of this, I'm paying more attention to what I'm eating throughout the day and doing a better job of not overeating in general (but also doing a better job of getting 2/3 of my calories BEFORE my evening meal). Very pleased with this goal.

Life Goal: I haven't put any more effort into my spreadsheet but I am confident I will earn a passing grade on it before the end of the challenge period. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

I also have a hard time doing workouts (or anything productive) if I don't schedule it. This challenge I'm scheduling a time to sit down every week and schedule my workouts (and other productive type things).

That sounds AWESOME! I'll go check out your challenge thread, I hope it's going well for you!

I was just reading the Bullet Journal thread over in the Pub in the hopes of finally figuring out what a bullet journal is and I got lucky lol. It seems like it might be a helpful way to track and schedule things? I already keep to-do lists so I'm thinking about it for that, although in terms of scheduling things way in advance, it doesn't usually work for me (because I'm very good at writing things down but I never check what's due). 

I have also been thinking a lot in the past couple of days about discipline and timeliness. A few years ago I was looking through a BDSM blog or archive or something and I came across an article that really stuck with me. Basically it was saying "delayed obedience is disobedience." Point being, if you're supposed to clean your room and you don't, the excuse "oh, I was getting to it!" doesn't change the fact that you didn't do it. So in line with that, although unfortunately I don't have anyone ordering me to straighten my life out and keeping me accountable, I'm trying to get into the habit of doing things immediately. 

Obviously I can't do EVERYTHING immediately. But at moments when I catch myself thinking "I should really go do my workout... after I finish this chapter" I'll put the book down and go exercise right away. The chapter will still be there when I get back, and I'll enjoy it more knowing I'm not using it as a form of procrastination. 

• Like 2

It occurs to me now that a better catch-all way of putting that is "delayed action is inaction" ...

Takes the power dynamic out of the phrasing and gives the actor more agency and more responsibility. 

• Like 2

STATUS UPDATE 5/11:
Nutrition: I did not eat seconds last night. I'm not entirely sure what to say I DID eat last night. (Enchilada soup?) Call it "leftovers" and leave it at that. Only enough for one. 

Exercise: I already scheduled out the rest of the week so I'm technically good. I actually exercised again yesterday. AGAIN. 

This after-work thing is working much better than I thought it would. 

Life Goal: No further progress on my spend analyzer and no concern about it neither. Spreadsheets are more of a weekend thing. (Except when I'm at work. Then they're an "always" thing.) I did start investigating bullet journalling yesterday, which is completely unrelated except that it also has to do with organization. Bullet journals are a maybe. 

• Like 2
16 hours ago, tyrannosaurus rose said:

I was just reading the Bullet Journal thread over in the Pub in the hopes of finally figuring out what a bullet journal is and I got lucky lol. It seems like it might be a helpful way to track and schedule things? I already keep to-do lists so I'm thinking about it for that, although in terms of scheduling things way in advance, it doesn't usually work for me (because I'm very good at writing things down but I never check what's due). 

I always get so jealous of the pretty bullet journals out there. I just have to remind myself that they don't *need* to be pretty to work. I've been using one this challenge to track my food and it's pretty helpful. :)

16 minutes ago, tyrannosaurus rose said:

This after-work thing is working much better than I thought it would. 

Yay!

• Like 3

Rebel Death Knight

4 minutes ago, Hymnusal said:

I always get so jealous of the pretty bullet journals out there. I just have to remind myself that they don't *need* to be pretty to work. I've been using one this challenge to track my food and it's pretty helpful. :)

Yeah the pretty ones are a little intimidating. But someone in that thread was saying they just kind of got started and then slowly added colored headers and considering more fancy stuff. So while it irritates me to think my style will change over the course of the journal, realistically it's somewhat unlikely that I will stick with the journal at all. So I might as well just get started, right?

• Like 3
3 hours ago, tyrannosaurus rose said:

So while it irritates me to think my style will change over the course of the journal, realistically it's somewhat unlikely that I will stick with the journal at all. So I might as well just get started, right?

That's exactly how I was before I started! I'm pleasently surprised that I'm sticking with it, and don't see myself stopping in the foreseeable future.

It helped that I had an empty notebook and some pens and colored pencils, so I didn't have to buy anything to get started.

Most of the time I don't do all or any of the to do things I write in my bullet journal, but then if I see a task that's migrated a few days I'm normally like, "I should really do this..." 

3 hours ago, Hymnusal said:

I always get so jealous of the pretty bullet journals out there. I just have to remind myself that they don't *need* to be pretty to work.

I read somewhere, either on NF or Instagram, that a lot of the really pretty journals are "picture ready" journals, where a lot of time and effort goes into making it pretty, but they'll also have a day to day journal that's more quick and functional. I'm not sure how true that is, but I'd like to think it's true.

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

4 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

That's exactly how I was before I started! I'm pleasantly surprised that I'm sticking with it, and don't see myself stopping in the foreseeable future.

It helped that I had an empty notebook and some pens and colored pencils, so I didn't have to buy anything to get started.

Most of the time I don't do all or any of the to do things I write in my bullet journal, but then if I see a task that's migrated a few days I'm normally like, "I should really do this..." 

That's strangely reassuring to hear. All right, sold. I have a notebook and some fine-tip sharpies handy. I'll start. 

1 minute ago, zeroh13 said:

I read somewhere, either on NF or Instagram, that a lot of the really pretty journals are "picture ready" journals, where a lot of time and effort goes into making it pretty, but they'll also have a day to day journal that's more quick and functional. I'm not sure how true that is, but I'd like to think it's true.

It's probably true for a lot of people, but I have a sneaking suspicion there are people who just have perfect artsy journals. Idk... I'm not that artsy, so we'll see how it goes. I would like everything to be neat and for there to be a standardized overall organization, so I'll probably have to put some prep work in upfront. Still, anything I come up with will be simple and flexible enough to accommodate changes in the future. 

• Like 1

STATUS UPDATE 5/14: 

Exercise: Last week scheduled! Success! 

I will schedule this week as soon as my phone is back in the land of the living. I skipped weekend workouts and I'm not sure why... gotta get back on that "now not later" horse. 

Nutrition: I did not go back for seconds once this week (out of six nights with the opportunity for it). So pleased!!! In addition, I've been more aware of my eating throughout the rest of the day; I haven't been snacking and today and yesterday I ate significantly less food than normal. (I also didn't move very much so I'm calling the lack of appetite a good thing.) 

In the past usually I've found that when I make changes to my diet it takes a couple of days of mindfulness for the change to "stick" and then all of a sudden I just stop overeating in general. But I have never maintained that status, so I'm looking forward to week 2 of "no seconds" and will probably continue this in my next challenge. 

Life: I created my table! It's obnoxious to look at because there are too many data points to fit comfortably in the visual, so I will probably make another one of the top seven biggest spending categories (making it even more difficult to figure manually, but whatever). This goal is a PASS! Now I can start reading about cannibalism. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Life: I created my table! It's obnoxious to look at because there are too many data points to fit comfortably in the visual, so I will probably make another one of the top seven biggest spending categories (making it even more difficult to figure manually, but whatever). This goal is a PASS! Now I can start reading about cannibalism. 

Huzzah! Hopefully you won't actually become a cannibal... or maybe you already have and that's what happened to tyrannosaurus rose! Eaten by a Wobbegong!

Great week and now we're onto the home stretch! Keep it up! :)

• Like 3

Rebel Death Knight

1 hour ago, Hymnusal said:

Huzzah! Hopefully you won't actually become a cannibal... or maybe you already have and that's what happened to tyrannosaurus rose! Eaten by a Wobbegong!

Great week and now we're onto the home stretch! Keep it up! :)

Thanks for the cheer! I'm looking forward to finishing strong! 

I think that's as good a story as any... so be it. Tyrannosaurus Rose was eaten by a Wobbegong! Let the myth percolate into canon. 

• Like 4

STATUS UPDATE 5/15:

(jfc we're halfway through May already??)

Exercise: 

I scheduled all of my workouts for this week, so that's a PASS. I'm going to start recording whether I followed through with them or not, to continue testing my theory that making something beep at me results in me getting sh*t done. If I'm right, this could be a tremendous breakthrough for me. (Then again, it might be best not to abuse the system too soon.) My alarm went off for my 6pm exercise appointment tonight but my headphones were plugged in so I didn't hear it. Still, I remembered that I had something scheduled and checked my phone at 6:01 and promptly got started. Check!

Nutrition:

I did not go back for seconds last night! I seriously considered it -- after all, I only have to skip seconds more than half the time to pass -- but since I remembered I wasn't doing that for the challenge, I didn't. Tbh I would have been eating for my tongue anyway, so I'm glad I held back. That puts me at 7/7 (there was no opportunity for seconds one night last week). Since there are only six dinners left for this challenge, I've technically passed already, but I'm gonna go for 100%. 

Life: 

As previously noted, I completed my outlined task of creating a spreadsheet to track my spending. I have not started my cannibalism book yet. I've been spending my time considering bullet journalling instead. 

• Like 2

STATUS UPDATE 5/16:

Exercise: I was a little slow getting started with my scheduled workout this morning, but I did do it! In the past, I've always tried to set a certain time of day aside for training, but my daily schedule never matches up well enough to accommodate that indefinitely. This week I scheduled time after I get home on days when I work in office and for about an hour after I wake up on wfh days and weekends. I never really thought about setting aside different times on different days (although it seems kind of obvious now...) but so far I like it! 2/2

Nutrition: No seconds last night! Even though I reeeeeally wanted to. Mm, Thai curry. 8/8

Life: I should probably update my spend tracker with updated spending info to keep it relevant... sometime...

• Like 2

Ugh ugh ugh you guuuys

My company is laying off about half of its employees tomorrow morning. I am not one of them but I'm still really stressed out and keyed up. I went for a walk in the open space by my house earlier to try to calm down but now I'm all anxious again, it won't go away D: 

I feel like I'm whining because at least I get to keep my job (I should be grateful, right?) but I'm expecting to be given a bunch of new responsibilities that I don't particularly want and I'm losing friends tomorrow, damn it! Also this is the second layoff I've survived THIS YEAR at a company I've been actively working towards leaving since August. I friggin' hate this company.  

UGH

• Like 1

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

I am not one of them but I'm still really stressed out and keyed up. I went for a walk in the open space by my house earlier to try to calm down but now I'm all anxious again, it won't go away D: 

I feel like I'm whining because at least I get to keep my job (I should be grateful, right?) but I'm expecting to be given a bunch of new responsibilities that I don't particularly want and I'm losing friends tomorrow, damn it!

These are all perfectly rational and acceptable responses. I get wound up when people leave of their own free will, I can't imaging losing a lot of people to a lay off. I'd be freaking out... about half of the employees? UUUUUGH!

• Like 3

Rebel Death Knight

On 5/17/2017 at 5:10 AM, Hymnusal said:

These are all perfectly rational and acceptable responses. I get wound up when people leave of their own free will, I can't imaging losing a lot of people to a lay off. I'd be freaking out... about half of the employees? UUUUUGH!

Thanks for the hug and the validation <3 I really appreciate it. We have a retention problem (with good reason) so I'm pretty used to people leaving of their own free will, and it's hard to be sad when I'm so excited on their behalf for escaping. But I do miss them. 

The thing about layoffs is, for some reason companies never do them well. And by well I mean kindly! There's so much concern over soon-to-be-ex-employees freaking out and causing a scene, they set everything up to minimize damage, and it ends up minimizing real people's relationships and the effort they've put into their work. 

The last time my company did this, we occupied two floors of our building, so all of the people who were being laid off were called downstairs so HR could deliver the news and the rest of us were called to an emergency company meeting, where we were told, "Everyone who isn't here right now is being laid off, please return to your desks, collect your things, and go home for the day immediately so that they can come up here and clean out their desks." We were not allowed to say goodbye. We did not know who was gone except by figuring out who wasn't there (and of my two closest work friends, one was working from home that day and the other was on vacation, so I was really freaking out), we did not get a chance to exchange contact information, and we didn't even get to sit around with the survivors after and talk about what happened. 

This time everyone who wasn't being laid off was contacted the day in advance and told "don't come in until afternoon tomorrow and don't breathe a word to anyone" so basically the same thing except even less idea about who's staying and who's not. 

Healthcare professionals all agree we should minimize stress in our daily lives but when something like this happens what can you do?! So on top of everything else now I'm freaking out about how much cortisol I'm producing! D:

STATUS UPDATE 5/17:

Exercise: I skipped today. I was supposed to do it when I got home, but I missed my schedule because I was unexpectedly sent to the grocery store. Boo. 2/3

Nutrition: I was good yesterday, but tonight I went back for seconds. I wasn't hungry and consciously made the choice to give myself a pass because today was just awful all around. 9/10

Life: I'm so sorrowful I can hardly stand to be online, I feel like someone is about to Skype me at any moment. I wanted to check in here but after this post I'm done for the night. It's time to read about cannibalism. 

(I did start working on my bullet journal today though... just playing around with a couple ideas for setup mostly. TBC.)

• Like 2

Ugh, that's so horrible, no wonder you don't want to work there!

On 5/17/2017 at 10:14 AM, Wobbegong said:

Healthcare professionals all agree we should minimize stress in our daily lives but when something like this happens what can you do?!

I think the best anyone can do is to minimize stress from things that we have some control over. And to make sure we take time out of our days to do something for ourselves (self-care).

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!