Ladylydia: Still Breathing

Yesterday I went back to the odd school method of food tracking by simply writing down what I ate, instead of tracking macros, or trying to figure out calories.  It shed quite a light on my sweet tooth.

Cheese and apple for breakfast,

2 servings chocolate milk for snack

leftover stir fry, chocolate bar and yogurt for lunch

white hot chocolate

sandwich and salad for dinner, yogurt again

Ice cream.

Workout yesterday:  (spread throughout the day)

10 assisted tricep dips

10 assisted one leg squats

10 incline pushups

1 min. squats-26

1 min. incline pushups 30

1 min. lunges -19-

• Like 2

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Str- 18, Dex-12, Sta-10, Con-23, Wis-88, Cha-47

"Not all who wander are lost."

"We Shall Not Practice Fear"

Current Battlelog

On 8/31/2018 at 10:34 PM, ladylydia said:

star v-sits- 5, 7, 3

oof, those are hard!

On 9/2/2018 at 7:12 PM, ladylydia said:

Yesterday I went back to the odd school method of food tracking by simply writing down what I ate, instead of tracking macros, or trying to figure out calories.  It shed quite a light on my sweet tooth.

Cheese and apple for breakfast,

2 servings chocolate milk for snack

leftover stir fry, chocolate bar and yogurt for lunch

white hot chocolate

sandwich and salad for dinner, yogurt again

Ice cream

Yeah, that method works pretty well. For me the sweets tend to escalate, but once I get into a habit of eating less of that stuff, it isn't such a big deal. The main place that the detailed tracking helps me is if I want to be able to deliberately choose some less nutritious things and not feel bad about it. Also if I want to drop my weight toward the lower end of my set point range. As you know the calorie tracking takes a lot more time and energy.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

29 minutes ago, Xena said:

Yeah, that method works pretty well. For me the sweets tend to escalate, but once I get into a habit of eating less of that stuff, it isn't such a big deal. The main place that the detailed tracking helps me is if I want to be able to deliberately choose some less nutritious things and not feel bad about it. Also if I want to drop my weight toward the lower end of my set point range. As you know the calorie tracking takes a lot more time and energy.

Well, and when i tracked calories, I tend to go to low, (900-1200), or I count inaccurately and end up eating way more than I thought.

• Like 1

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Current Battlelog

On Monday my knee started doing the wobble thing, where it would start to pop, and then it wouldn't.  I wrapped it up and it was good for a few hours, but when I took the wrap off, it started popping like crazy.  The popping hurt after a while, so I was babying the leg, wrapping it periodically.  Then I finally looked it up online, apparently one of my tendons is getting caught on uneven cartilage in my knee and that is causing the regular snapping.  Every site I looked at, basically said the same thing: don't baby it, and do regular warm ups.  I'm going to attempt a workout this evening, and see how my knee feels.     

• Like 3

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Current Battlelog

After trying all sorts of wraps, braces and wrapping methods; I finally had a good deal of success with athletic tape.  My knee is still popping occasionally, but it doesn't hurt.

20 side leg raises, each side

10 assisted one leg squats.

20 regular squats

20 incline pushups

10 standing side crunches each side.  

• Like 2

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Current Battlelog

All this trouble with my knee has taught me I can't keep treating my health as an afterthought.  My fitness has fallen so far since graduating, and as much as I like to blame it on less time, awkward scheduling, lack of gym access, etc.  I'm the only one to blame.  My health used to be a priority to me; then it wasn't.  That shift in mentality was my fault, not a fault of circumstances.  

Here are my new plan for the rest of the year. Instead of changing plans every 4-6 weeks, I have one set of goals and one overall workout method for the rest of the year. 

From now until the end of the year, I'm going to focus on building endurance.  I've been putting this off for a while, because I like building strength; strength training is fun.   But I need the endurance to stay balanced and healthy.  So endurance training until January.  

I've reevaluated goals as well, and believe I have something attainable.

• Lose 40 lbs 
  • 30 push ups in a row
  • Run a continuous mile     

It sounds pretty basic, but I haven't been able to do those things without breaks or sets for a few years.  I have until December 31st to complete it.

After a lot of thought, and a test run week; I think, I think, I found a workout schedule I can stick to.  My previous schedules kept failing because I was convinced a needed a pattern and kept trying to make the schedule symmetrical; which worked while I was in school and my life had an accompanying, symmetrical, school schedule.  That hasn't been the case in a few years because so many things only happen once a week.  But I think this one will work.  Instead of trying to make my life fit the schedule, I finally wrote the schedule to fit my current life. 

Sunday

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Cardio

Resistance

Rest day

Resistance

Cardio

Rest day

Skills/float 

Tuesdays I have bible study groups, and Fridays I always do my shopping, so those have both turned into natural rest days.  Saturdays I have jujitsu and the way class goes determines what else I feel like doing that day; I've labeled it a float day because it will fill in the gaps of whatever I needed in class (i.e wasn't stretched out enough, do yoga, class didn't have any cardio, do cardio, etc.).  I seem to inherently want to take walks on Sundays, so that's a natural cardio day, and after that the rest of the week filled itself in.

• Like 3

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Current Battlelog

Been absent the past week,  got really sick with allergies.   Going into day four of laryngitis, I'm glad I haven't had court this week.  I feel like every time I come up with a good game plan for workouts, something goes wrong with my health to derail it for a while, I'm getting really tired of the lengthy detours.   

• Sad 2

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Current Battlelog

Found a very bizarre tea at the health food store, that healed my throat enough to speak on Monday. Then after three days of essentially cough suppressants, my lungs decided to clear out last night; which was painful, but I can breath again.   Tuesdays are supposed to be rest days, but planning on some light body weight training today to ease back into things.  

• Like 1

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Current Battlelog

1. been feeling much better today, and think  i'll be able to go back to jujitsu tomorrow. 

2.  I have been seeing a lot of before and after stories on muscle conversion lately.  Gorgeous, strong women who didn't lose any weight, or even gained weight but lost a third of their body size and gained so much strength and agility the look like superheros, and the more i came across these stories, the more i realized my mindset has been wrong for years.  If i never lose a pound I don't really care,  I just want to be capable.  I'm revising my plan from above. 

On 9/19/2018 at 12:13 PM, ladylydia said:

All this trouble with my knee has taught me I can't keep treating my health as an afterthought.  My fitness has fallen so far since graduating, and as much as I like to blame it on less time, awkward scheduling, lack of gym access, etc.  I'm the only one to blame.  My health used to be a priority to me; then it wasn't.  That shift in mentality was my fault, not a fault of circumstances.  

Here are my new plan for the rest of the year. Instead of changing plans every 4-6 weeks, I have one set of goals and one overall workout method for the rest of the year. 

From now until the end of the year, I'm going to focus on building endurance.  I've been putting this off for a while, because I like building strength; strength training is fun.   But I need the endurance to stay balanced and healthy.  So endurance training until January.  

I've reevaluated goals as well, and believe I have something attainable.

• Lose 40 lbs 
  • 30 push ups in a row
  • Run a continuous mile  Run/walk three miles easily.
  • Place hands flat on the floor from a feet together, forward fold.      (I can touch the ground, but my hands are not flat.)

It sounds pretty basic, but I haven't been able to do those things without breaks or sets for a few years.  I have until December 31st to complete it.

After a lot of thought, and a test run week; I think, I think, I found a workout schedule I can stick to.  My previous schedules kept failing because I was convinced a needed a pattern and kept trying to make the schedule symmetrical; which worked while I was in school and my life had an accompanying, symmetrical, school schedule.  That hasn't been the case in a few years because so many things only happen once a week.  But I think this one will work.  Instead of trying to make my life fit the schedule, I finally wrote the schedule to fit my current life. 

Sunday

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Cardio

Resistance

Rest day

Resistance

Cardio

Rest day

Skills/float 

Tuesdays I have bible study groups, and Fridays I always do my shopping, so those have both turned into natural rest days.  Saturdays I have jujitsu and the way class goes determines what else I feel like doing that day; I've labeled it a float day because it will fill in the gaps of whatever I needed in class (i.e wasn't stretched out enough, do yoga, class didn't have any cardio, do cardio, etc.).  I seem to inherently want to take walks on Sundays, so that's a natural cardio day, and after that the rest of the week filled itself in.

• Like 1

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Current Battlelog

Without thinking about it, I started singing with the radio this morning, and realized I could without coughing too much.  I think my lungs will be completely clear sometime this week.  Yesterday my brother and I brought my Hibiscus in for the winter, which is a workout in and of itself.  It's technically a potted tree, it's over 7 ft tall, and 5 or 6 feet around.  

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Current Battlelog

Kept is simple and light yesterday,  10 knee push ups, 10 tricep knee push ups, 20 squats, 10 side leg lifts each side, and inverted wall splits.  Had to keep taking breaks to couch up half my lungs. But I can breathe much easier today, so that's a plus.  

• Like 1

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Current Battlelog

Sheesh; I'm absent a couple weeks, and all of a sudden this thread becomes impossible to find.   

Allergy update:  all better. 

Knee update: had to stop wearing the brace tape stuff because after a solid month of wearing it, it started taking my skin off. Luckily, my leg is much better and as long as I take it easy and keep icing it, it seems to be fine.  No rapid or painful popping.  

Exercise update:  I found an awesome hiking trail in town, that I'm going to try to hit up, at least once a week. 

Nutrition update: I've started food journal-ing again.  I'm just tracking right now, not aiming for any particular limits; instead just paying attention to what I eat throughout the day and why I ate it. 

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Current Battlelog

Business has actually gotten busy!!!   I may have forgotten how to handle busy, but I'm happy to relearn it.  

Knee update--All better, like it never happened in the first place. 

Exercise update, I've been sort of following the latest plan. 

On 10/5/2018 at 7:26 PM, ladylydia said:

Sunday

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Cardio

Resistance

Rest day

Resistance

Cardio

Rest day

Skills/float 

Had a rocky start, but I've been hitting the resistance days, and maybe one cardio a week for the past three weeks.  Super short workouts, barely worth mentioning,  but I'm doing them. 

Food journal: still journal-ing.  I seem to be taking in 2500-3000 calories a day; would like to bring that down to 2000 a day.   I'm having real issues controlling  consumption of sweets and excess carbs late at night; and my water is absurdly low. 

• Like 1

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Current Battlelog

Sunday: don't think I did anything, don't really remember

Monday: did arm stuff, didn't track 

Tuesday: bible study got cancelled, so did leg stuff, didn't track

Wednesday: did ab stuff, didn't track 

Tonight: my jujitsu instructors added an extra night for practice, so that's my new Thursday thing. 

Thus far, hitting the schedule 4/5 this week. 

Level 20 Ranger Monk 

Current Battlelog