• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

JupiterStar

Rollerblading/Inline Skating

Any other people into inline skating here? :)

When I was a  kid, I hated riding my bike, and used to rollerblade EVERYWHERE. Until I was 15, almost got hit by a classmate going too quickly in a residential area, and tore up my left side and face pretty good when I crashed, it was one of my favorite things to do outside. But that accident freaked out my parents (even though no lasting damage was done and I just looked like hell for a week or two) and they sold my blades, then I got my own driver's license, went to college, and the rest is history.

Last year, my fiancee and I moved to a new apartment that is right along a beautiful cycling/jogging/other types of training and exercise path by the river, a nice wide one that go for 20km or so with just a few turns, doesn't allow motorized vehicles of any kind except mobility devices, has lots of spots to stop, rest, and enjoy the view, and ends on one end right at the train station I use every day and the other end at a bridge heading over to Maishima Sports Island, which has even more beautiful paths and training spots since it's right on the ocean. I tried jogging and biking that path but since I bike everywhere already and I've always had trouble getting into jogging, it never stuck, and I started talking about how much I wished I had rollerblades again because it's one of the rare spots in Japan where inline skates and boards aren't prohibited and I could even use them to commute to work, just store them in the coin lockers at the train station every morning and pick them up when I get back. So for my birthday, my fiancee got me a pair of rollerblades and helped me get some safety equipment as well (since my doctors are VERY leery of me crashing with my bleeding disorder). She's going to bike alongside me while I skate, both for safety and company, and hopefully it won't take too long to get back the muscle memory and stop being so wobbly!

Anyway, I was just hoping to connect with some other people who do this sort of exercise, even just once in a while!

I'm actually going to start rollerblading once a week on the next challenge.  As a young man, I actually did some 10k rollerblade races.  I also worked as a rink guard at an ice rink. During the summers, me and the other rink guards would rollerblade on the paths up and down the river and around the campus of Noter Dame.  If the pavement were good everywhere, I would never have started cycling.  Stay safe and have fun.

I used to skate regularly at a beach path, but that was several years ago. I'd like to get into it again, but I'd have to find some proper skates for it (I have hockey skates, and cement would probably tear the wheels  up pretty good) and just MAKE TIME FOR IT. Easier said than done with the responsibilities of a family. But I'm glad I found this old thread to get me thinking about it. :)