• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gemeaux

Anyone doing krav maga ?

Having drank the Tae Kwon Do kool-ade. Krav Maga is a totally kick the snot outta somebody type of martial arts. I believe it is more offensive type ma than defensive. However our defensive tatics instructor at police academy showed us lots of jujitsu stuff. thays what Iwould take if I hadthe time

I tried it once. I liked the techniques, HATED the instructor. Had more ego than teaching skill, which is unfortunately all too prevalent in the martial arts. It really is a "destroy your opponent" sort of thing, and strenuous enough to count as a workout.

I took Krav at the martial arts school I took kickboxing at. I only did level 1, but my husband moved on and was doing level 3 for a while. We loved it. It's pretty physical, as you actually spar and practice the movements with people (I mean, how are you going to learn to defend yourself if you're practicing with soft holds?). If you have a good instructor you won't get hurt :) KAllen, I actually disagree with you and believe it's more defensive... at least, the classes I took lead me to believe that. There could be more to it that I don't know...?

But, it made me feel a lot more comfortable in my defense skills as a woman... we even had a guest instructor come and do a knife defense class once... it was a 4 hour seminar! If I were you I'd give it a try... as long as you are comfortable touching people and having them touching you. If you're doing wrist releases, or choke defenses... you actually have to "choke" people or grab their wrists. I mean... not super hard, but enough so that it's a struggle. Anyway... I loved it and thought it was beneficial for both fitness and self-defense. As a woman I believe that's important.

I took Krav at the martial arts school I took kickboxing at. I only did level 1, but my husband moved on and was doing level 3 for a while. We loved it. It's pretty physical, as you actually spar and practice the movements with people (I mean, how are you going to learn to defend yourself if you're practicing with soft holds?). If you have a good instructor you won't get hurt :) KAllen, I actually disagree with you and believe it's more defensive... at least, the classes I took lead me to believe that. There could be more to it that I don't know...?

But, it made me feel a lot more comfortable in my defense skills as a woman... we even had a guest instructor come and do a knife defense class once... it was a 4 hour seminar! If I were you I'd give it a try... as long as you are comfortable touching people and having them touching you. If you're doing wrist releases, or choke defenses... you actually have to "choke" people or grab their wrists. I mean... not super hard, but enough so that it's a struggle. Anyway... I loved it and thought it was beneficial for both fitness and self-defense. As a woman I believe that's important.

Every art is both offensive and defensive. Generally, they emphasize the defensive. After all, what school wants the reputation for turning out students who pick fights? I've seen black belts turned out of schools for that.

Also, one thing you must get over in the martial arts is having people in your personal space, touching you. There is no way to do techniques, even ones that don't involve grabbing, without getting within arm's reach of each other, and if they're at all jujitsu or grappling-related, you'll be all over each other. It's unnerving at first, but you quickly get used to it.

I think you'll have fun with it, Gemeaux.

I've been wanting to do Krav Maga for a while but I travel for work so it's impossible to go to a school. Anyone know of any decent videos for the basics?

If you're interested in Krav Maga I'd also suggest looking at Jeet Kune Do. It's has no sport elements unlike a lot of martial arts and is essentially about taking the best bits from every martial art and adapting it to you in order to be able to defend yourself

Also, one thing you must get over in the martial arts is having people in your personal space, touching you. There is no way to do techniques, even ones that don't involve grabbing, without getting within arm's reach of each other, and if they're at all jujitsu or grappling-related, you'll be all over each other. It's unnerving at first, but you quickly get used to it.

I completely agree with this. I ended up training with the police force in my town at 15 :) It was extremely intense because they trained me to defend against rape, abuse and everything else...but the only way to learn was for me to actually be attacked, so lots of personal space invasions, but also lots of knowledge.

There used to be a show on TV where 2 guys went around the world and learned a new fighting style every month. The Krav Maga episode was absolutely brutal in training, but seeing 2 grown men cry because they didn't want to continue training somehow seemed like a great idea to me. I've wanted to try it ever since XD

EDIT: I found the full episode on Youtube if you wanna look at it. The guy that gets the woman trainer gets mad props from me :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqqewgAcxbw

Edited by Tigger

I did one session, but did not have time to continue, or rather it did not fit in my schedule. At least the instructors we had were emphasizing how to end fights quickly. "Rules, there's no rules!". So how to defend yourself and put the other person out of the fight as quickly as possible. It was developed by/for the Israeli army.

I love krav. Been doing martial arts for years. Had studied a bunch of different style. Beyond the I'm new first time jitters I have never been scared in a martial arts studio.

Had fear racing though me on my first day of Krav. Also learned gun disarms in the first week. This doesn't happen in other martial arts. It hurt, it was hard, it was scary. Best class I've ever taken.

EDIT: The above statement is based entirely upon my own opinion and experience with Krav Maga. My knowledge of McDojo's and the "average" commerical martial arts studio typically doesn't teach effect or useful gun defense within the first day. My knowledge is, however, faulty. I apologize for how I was wrong and hope I didn't offend anyone in any way shape or form.

Edited by Ryan Sannar

Had fear racing though me on my first day of Krav. Also learned gun disarms in the first week. This doesn't happen in other martial arts. It hurt, it was hard, it was scary. Best class I've ever taken.

The heck it doesn't. I've been doing gun techniques since I first started studying martial arts 15 years ago, and I only took Krav for about a month before the instructor's attitude disgusted me so thoroughly I walked out.

I'm talking about personal experience bro. No need to come down on my opinion ^

Then state it as opinion. You stated it as fact.

Also, not a bro. Guess you didn't really look at the username.

Then state it as opinion. You stated it as fact.

Also, not a bro. Guess you didn't really look at the username.

Getting a little touchy there. I would think that anything said without reference or historical backing would be taken as opinion.

Chill brah.

Getting a little touchy there. I would think that anything said without reference or historical backing would be taken as opinion.

Chill brah.

Nope, not touchy. Merely pointing out imprecision of language, both in the fact that a simple "I don't think" would have taken his statement from incorrect fact to personal opinion, and that I am not a "bro", a "brah", or any other slang term that would imply that I am male.

Unfortunately tone doesn't express well in text. I wasn't touchy or attacking in the first place; just pointing out that Krav hasn't cornered the market in gun techniques. I don't believe in punctuating with lol or emoticons, so the cheery tone was lost.

There used to be a show on TV where 2 guys went around the world and learned a new fighting style every month. The Krav Maga episode was absolutely brutal in training, but seeing 2 grown men cry because they didn't want to continue training somehow seemed like a great idea to me. I've wanted to try it ever since XD

EDIT: I found the full episode on Youtube if you wanna look at it. The guy that gets the woman trainer gets mad props from me :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqqewgAcxbw

That episode was both amazing and brutal at the same time! I loved it!

It is brutal. Its not a traditional martial art, more of a put an attacker down as quickly as possible. It will kick your butt. My first class I swear I wanted to vomit

Us far us I know it's not martial art, it's self defence class. How to kill a guy faster :D I have been checking for closer classes, too. Can't find any tho.