• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ItsYaBoi

BMR Help Plz

Hi, 

Been wondering this for a while now and looking around for a while too. 

For simplicity, lets say:

BMR = 2,400kcal

If I want to lose 1kg in a week (creating a deficit of ~1100kcal) should I be burning 3500kcal/day excluding BMR, or 1100kcal by including BMR in those 3,500 (BMR + 1100kcal). Also would an app like S Health (which I use most often) be calculating workouts that include my BMR or exclude it.

So, basically what I am saying is should I be burning 3500kcal/day or 1100kcal/day?

Thanks in advance

Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the energy your body needs to keep you warm and functioning, with all the organs working properly - including the brain, which is an energy hog. Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is BMR plus the energy you use to move around - if you move more, you need more energy, if you move less, less energy. In a perfect world, you really shouldn't consumer less calories than your BMR.

So, for example, a 25yo male who weighs 185lbs, is 5'11", and works an office job will likely have a BMR around 1,800kcal/day, and a TDEE of ~2,150-2,300kcal/day. If this guy works out for an hour an day, let's say weight lifting with a good warm up, that will add maybe 200-300kcal more of energy expenditure, to bring him to a likely total of ~2,500kcal/day. BUT, bear in mind that metabolic rate is highly variable between individuals, so some experimentation is needed to figure out where your 'maintenance' (ie. you neither gain nor lose weight) calorie intake actually exists.

From your TDEE, you can THEN take your fat loss goal and apply it to the average to figure out a calorie deficit. eg. This same 25yo male would like to lose some fat. A healthy ballpark rate of fat loss would be ~1lb a week, which would equal roughly a 3,500kcal every week (ie. 500kcal deficit/day). To create that deficit, you would need to either A. eat 500kcal below your TDEE (in this example, 2,000kcal) or B. burn an extra 500kcal (an EXTRA 1.5hrs exercise on top of the first hour) or C. some combo of the two (2,250kcal/day + 2hrs exercise total).

I'm not super familiar with S Health, but if it's giving you estimates for your total calorie needs, it is including your BMR. 'Hope this helps! Remember to have fun, go slow, be safe, and rock on. 

• Like 3

So 1kg of weight loss (2.2 pounds) a week is actually REALLY high.  The general rule of thumb is 1 pound (.45kg)/week requires a WEEKLY deficit of 3500 kcalories.  So if your DAILY Basal Metabolic Rate is 2400, your WEEKLY intake should be 16,800 calories.  To lose a pound/half a kg, you need to intake a equivalent of only 13,300 that week (or 1900 calories per day).

Now, you can hit that 1900 by diet only (so only eating 1900 calories), or by diet and exercise (the best method), or just by exercise (Terrible, do not do this, not a sustainable method).  Tracking devices are middling at best (unless you are willing to shell out a crazy amount of money), so your best bet is to track your food intake and play around with numbers a bit.  If you eat 1900 calories a day and find you lose 2 pounds because of the amount you exercise, you can eat a bit more.  If you eat 1900 calories a day and find you're only losing half a pound a week, you can aim to eat a bit less.  BMR is pretty much a numbers game that requires self experimentation, with the small exception of if you go to a lab to get it tested.

That's the long and short of it.  BMR is just what you burn existing as a human being, and whatever that is you want a bit less to lose weight.

• Like 2