Ye Olde Ranger Guilde Hall: General Chatter

Just realized I didn't properly introduce myself (maybe because I assumed most of you already knew me):

Let me begin by sharing my origin story for my NF character:

"Jason Lilly lived a comfortable, but unfit life: smoker, junk food lover, video game and comic book nerd, and couch potato. But on occasion when he did leave his home, he felt so alive when outside, especially in the wild, like some primal energy was whispering to him. After graduating college, getting married, and having two children, the pounds added up, but the whispers continued. Then he stumbled onto a video of Erwan LeCorre (founder of MovNat) and has never been the same. Now drawn to fitness programs that encourage him to "go wild" and discover his inner animal, when Jason isn't caring for his queen and four princesses or inspiring minds as a high school teacher, he roams the wilderness as Wolfen, a barefoot and shirtless wild man who climbs rocks and trees, sprints across open fields, lifts stones and logs, swims in wild waters, and even howls at the sky."

Even though I'm no stranger to being active outdoors, I still struggle with staying healthy and fit. Like a lot of heroes, villains from my past come back to haunt me. The only one successfully vanquished was Tobacco. I still have the all too often battles with Junk Food, Procrastination, Sedentarism, Shelter and Security, Laziness, Self-Consciousness, and Doubt. But every day, I make choices that help me "level up" and get closer and closer to defeating these villains.

I learned about Nerd Fitness from Jonathan Mead, who taught a workshop at the NF retreat this past summer. I first dipped my toes in NF waters by browsing (and loving) Steve's blog. Now I'm hooked. I've always been into comic books, video games, and movies. I also geek out about books and science (especially biology and behavioral science). Now that I'm pursuing a more fit lifestyle, why wouldn't I get hooked on a group that combines all of this and more?

I live in West Virginia, fitly named The Mountain State. It is a beautiful state, full of mountains, forests, rivers, and wildlife, a perfect home for someone like me who likes to "go wild." I am a family man with two biological children and two adopted children. I still have a long way to go, which is fine because I never want to stop leveling up, either physically, mentally, or spiritually.

I'm looking forward to staying in touch with other Rangers.

• Like 15

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: The Mad Poet Becomes Supernatural

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild Poet

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

dragons-milk1.jpg?w=705

So I figured the rangers would appreciate this.  Bought a 4 pack of these Wednesday and they are so good.  The bourbon flavor come through in the beginning and the vanilla mellows it out.

• Like 9

*Jarric slinks in late, looking messy and tired, with what might be a hint of blood splattered amongst the mud*

Damn it's quiet in here, where the hell is everyone? He asks the barman.

It's that time of year again anyway, I'll have a Trooper please friend.

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

• Like 8

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Rangers, it's week 2.

To be perfectly honest, I'm just not feeling it much this time around. I'm not exactly giving up on my goals, I've just got a lot going on and I'm not excited about fitness or eating healthy.

Which doesn't really matter.

Being healthy isn't about feeling excited, it isn't about motivation, it's about doing what healthy people do. It's okay that I don't feel any excitement. It's okay I don't feel like thinking much about this challenge. It's okay I haven't posted as much on my thread over the weekend.

Because being healthy isn't about those things, it's about living life.

I'm not excited and I don't have much motivation.

I'm going to be healthy anyway. I'm going to lift anyway. I'm going to walk anyway. I'm going to do yoga anyway. I'm going to give myself healthy fuel to eat anyway.

Because come hell or high water, I'm going to be healthy, because health is about a choice. Choose to do what is healthy on a consistent basis, and you will BE healthy.

As you might imagine, I don't have much of a speech in me this week either.

I made it anyway.

You may feel like crap, you may feel like giving up, you may feel nothing.

Be healthy anyway.

• Like 21

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Rangers, it's week 2.

To be perfectly honest, I'm just not feeling it much this time around. I'm not exactly giving up on my goals, I've just got a lot going on and I'm not excited about fitness or eating healthy.

Being healthy isn't about feeling excited, it isn't about motivation, it's about doing what healthy people do. It's okay that I don't feel any excitement. It's okay I don't feel like thinking much about this challenge. It's okay I haven't posted as much on my thread over the weekend.

I'm not excited and I don't have much motivation.

I'm going to be healthy anyway. I'm going to lift anyway. I'm going to walk anyway. I'm going to do yoga anyway. I'm going to give myself healthy fuel to eat anyway.

Because come hell or high water, I'm going to be healthy, because health is about a choice. Choose to do what is healthy on a consistent basis, and you will BE healthy.

As you might imagine, I don't have much of a speech in me this week either.

I made it anyway.

Be healthy anyway.

Thanks for writing the speech even when you didn't feel like it. They were words I needed to hear today.

• Like 8

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Be healthy anyway.

This. Absolutely this. I need to remember more often that healthy doesn't always mean being motivated to hit goals and get to the gym and make the right choices. Consistency requires seeing healthy habits through even when you're tired and want the easy option. Thank you, Tank :)

• Like 6

"What does your heart tell you?" - Aragorn

Epic Quest: In the Footsteps of the Dúnedain: Aragorn's Journey

Current Challenge: Rhovaniel looks Inwards, to change Outwards

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26

20 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Which is exactly how I'm feeling since going into this challenge.

20 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Which is again why I mustered my inner "Tank voice" and keep going on anyway, with what I'm able to do.

:loyal: Thanks for writing and being there.

18 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Thanks for writing the speech even when you didn't feel like it. They were words I needed to hear today.

This.

• Like 4

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

The man limps in, reeking of something foul, asks the barkeep for a bucket of water before he trudges outside and dumps it over his head.  He walks back in, soaking wet and exhaustion is apparent from his face and his posture. He orders a shot of whiskey and a dark stout as he settles himself at the bar, looking about to see what new friends he is about to converse with...

Well friends, my move has mostly completed.  I am situated and living in my own purchased house (as still owned by the bank :/) but it is mine own.  Had a few issues with the home already in that the pipes are galvanized steel and had been sitting for some time, clogging many of the aerators and requiring cleaning/replacing along with a broken knob on the shower/bath.  I have already installed all but three blinds (three left face the backyard, so meh) and have recently gotten my shower functional again.  Household goods don't arrive until the 19th, so I have a few more weeks of sleeping on an air mattress and eating out but I believe things are going splendidly.  As ever, we will see how things go, but I will be participating in challenges in spirit for now and keep working on upgrading/improving my condition with diet, exercise, and now my improvements to my house. Hope all your challenges are faring well!

• Like 10

Half-elven Ranger

Current Challenge: Jumpin' back in the fray

On 6/4/2017 at 7:44 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Being healthy isn't about feeling excited, it isn't about motivation, it's about doing what healthy people do. It's okay that I don't feel any excitement.

On 6/4/2017 at 7:44 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Be healthy anyway.

An hour and forty five minutes ago my alarm went off, and five minutes later I was doing a fine job of arguing with myself as to why I should stay in bed and not go for a run. And then I remembered this.

Ten minutes after that float through my head I was out in the wind and pissing rain, running like there actually were zombies behind me.

(and it takes talent to make a speech about it being ok not to 'feel it' so motivational :P)

• Like 10

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Rangers, it's week 2.

Being healthy isn't about feeling excited, it isn't about motivation, it's about doing what healthy people do. It's okay that I don't feel any excitement. It's okay I don't feel like thinking much about this challenge. >

Tank, I hope you realize HOW MUCH we appreciate you and your being here.

Thank you!

---

"Travel lightly, for what you bring with you becomes part of your landscape." -Anne Bishop

• Like 9

Katrin the Morag Lvl 22 Cadet, half klingon, c-licensed trainer, mother of two, gaming nerd

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

17 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

Ten minutes after that float through my head I was out in the wind and pissing rain, running like there actually were zombies behind me.

Well done! Extra bonus points for going out in the wind and rain!

• Like 2

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26

On 5/27/2017 at 0:36 PM, DarK_RaideR said:

Anyone seen "Frontier" yet? Is it any good?

jason-momoa1.png?w=670&h=377&crop=1

I mean, it's the Ranger Jesus in a Rangerly setting, so I'm intrigued...

I thought it was kind of mediocre. Like, Ranger Jesus was obviously a delight to watch, but the rest of it felt really underwhelming and hard to get into.

• Like 3

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Rangers!

It's week 3!

Week 2 and it's blahs did not defeat us. Week 3 will come at us with some BS of one type or another.

It doesn't matter.

We are people who do not quit, we are people who grind and strive to get better. We are people focused on the journey rather than the destination. We are people who stand together rather than alone. We are people who are stronger together than we would ever be alone. We are people who Ranger through adversity.

WE.

ARE.

THE.

RANGER CORPS!

Whatever week 3 is gonna throw at you has already been defeated. You predetermined the outcome long ago when you joined the guild. We are Rangers and We DO NOT QUIT! Because you are a person who does not quit, you will not give up. The only way to lose is to give up. Therefore, you have already won.

Since your victory is assured, go forth and conquer week 3 and it's challenges without fear, making yourself a little stronger, a little faster, a little more resilient, a little more flexible, and a whole lot wiser.

You got this, and we got you.

Week 3 doesn't stand a chance.

• Like 7

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

41 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Rangers!

It's week 3!

WE.

ARE.

THE.

RANGER CORPS!

We DO NOT QUIT!

Heck yeah. I mean, heck no, we don't quit. We might have to adapt, adjust, but we do that best, we are not, by golly not, giving up, like EVER.

We stand together...

d511985a98142708ba7367571241b15522c43186

(yes, I'm running a Mononoke-theme atm.)

• Like 4

Katrin the Morag Lvl 22 Cadet, half klingon, c-licensed trainer, mother of two, gaming nerd

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 4:04 PM, BitterOyster said:

I love this article!!!! I just wanted to share it with some folks who will get it - and are already living it!

Great article. I'm saving this for next time I have to explain the concept of planning against self-control to someone!

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

weeds.gif

@BitterOyster I liked the article too!

I guess one of the things we do around here is experiment. Try different ideas to figure out how to make desirable habits easier to maintain. Want to exercise more? Play around with different types of exercise and different schedules until you can figure out out a type of exercise you like and schedule that is realistic. Want to eat more vegetables? Try a bunch of recipes and find something you like and/or something you can make quickly on a weeknight. Got a tough goal that you can't figure out how to tackle? Ask a bunch of nerds!

• Like 5

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

I don't know about you, but I've just been super busy. Sticking to the challenge ok but just having a hard time keeping up with the forums.

How are you doing @Rhovaniel?

I finally got around to updating the miserable yoga PvP.  I haven't counted up the numbers, but I'm guessing we're about halfway done (posting pictures of 100 poses under various "miserable" conditions). If anyone is looking for some amusement, swing by and take a look. And you are all fully welcome to jump in!

• Like 3

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

@BitterOyster I liked the article.

@Rhovaniel I'm here, have had 4 milestones Tuesday, including one stressful social one that I was worried about, but once I went and moved in on it, I nailed afterall. I have returned to log on mfp and have a duolingo challenge going with my son and doing well with that, am actually ahead of what I aimed for there.

Life overall is hectic as all heck, but bedrock-wise me and mine are well, and headed in the right direction.

Miss the chatter in here too.

• Like 5

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

2 hours ago, Xena said:

I don't know about you, but I've just been super busy. Sticking to the challenge ok but just having a hard time keeping up with the forums.

How are you doing @Rhovaniel?

I finally got around to updating the miserable yoga PvP.  I haven't counted up the numbers, but I'm guessing we're about halfway done (posting pictures of 100 poses under various "miserable" conditions). If anyone is looking for some amusement, swing by and take a look. And you are all fully welcome to jump in!

Like you, pretty busy. Keeping up with the forums for me isn't the issue, it's keeping away from temptation on holiday! 

1 hour ago, Katrin the Morag said:

@Rhovaniel I'm here, have had 4 milestones Tuesday, including one stressful social one that I was worried about, but once I went and moved in on it, I nailed afterall. I have returned to log on mfp and have a duolingo challenge going with my son and doing well with that, am actually ahead of what I aimed for there.

Life overall is hectic as all heck, but bedrock-wise me and mine are well, and headed in the right direction.

Yes! It's been too long since Diggy Diggy made an appearance here!

Ooh, well done on conquering the scary social milestone! Social stuff is always the hardest for me, 

• Like 2

On 6/15/2017 at 7:07 AM, Katrin the Morag said:

This would get me through my watch today but the IT people monitor bandwidth and they would flip out.

• Like 2
On 6/11/2017 at 11:04 AM, BitterOyster said:

I love this article!!!! I just wanted to share it with some folks who will get it - and are already living it!

If you like this article you may like the book Wired to Eat by Robb Wolf. It talks about the scientific reasoning behind why we eat like we do and why self control goes against our nature.

• Like 2

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Currently Posting in -->Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]