Jump to content

Blocky guards the Venture Brothers!


Blocky

Recommended Posts

Blocky_Bros_done.png

 

Blocky has left Section 9 and entered the world of ridiculous, cartoon super-villany.

 

Meet the Ventures:

Venture_1.jpg

 

Doctor Rusty Venture is a Super Scientist and has attracted the ire of a Super Villain known as the Monarch:

monarch.jpg

 

Unfortunately, the Ventures' previous body guards (Brock Samson and Sgt Hatred) have been called away (Brock is off fighting for or against the Office of Secret Intelligence - I can never remember which side of that stuff he is on at the moment, and Sgt Hatred is having his 'Meds' adjusted). So Blocky has stepped in to fill the gap.

 

Blocky will need to do several things to be a successful bodyguard:

 

1. Get Stronger and Fitter - Follow the plan and bring the intensity:                                            +1 STR for 15 good training sessions,

                                                                                                                                                     +1STR for every 4 PR's

2. Be larger than life - Gonna need to be big to fight against the forces of the Monarch:            +1 WIS for ignoring the scale and bringing back the bulk

3. Patrol the compound - Need to be on the lookout for ridiculous butterfly themed enemies:     +1 CON for going on 3 good hikes

  • Like 8

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

Link to comment

Day 1 done!

 

Skwaat day!

Competition Skwaats: 5 x 2 at 140kg (80%), followed by a single at 150kg and then 155kg (90%)    -    I am going to add in the heavier singles after my rep work so I don't forget what heavy weights feel like.

Speedy Deadlifts: 10 x 2 at 140kg

Pin Skwaats: 5 x 1 at 120kg with 10kg chain. I'm hoping these help me with the drive from the bottom position. These were much harder than I expected.

Accessory Shenanigans: Did lunges and back extensions (40 of each, then 30, 20, 10... for a total of 100 of each) as fast as possible... ie: not very fast at all.

 

I've done a decent job with the food, lots of protein, no sugary snacks and some full fat milk. Just need more protein and a bunch of veg before bed.

 

Get Stronger:              1/15

Be larger than life:       Check - I ate all the things

Patrol the Compound:   0/3

 

anigif_enhanced-buzz-16243-1369936527-16

  • Like 4

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

Link to comment

Image result for dr venture funny

  • Like 4

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

 

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

 

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

 

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

Following!

Yay!

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

Link to comment

So... pretty DOMS-y today which is to be expected after the volume yesterday.

 

Morning conditioning consisted of a 30min circuit of light SSB Box Skwaats, Upright Rows, back extensions and ring rows. Felt like I needed to get some blood moving through the ouchy bits.

 

Had a big proteiny brekky with some kombucha to help the whole digesting food thing.

  • Like 6

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

I tried for a clever gif or pithy saying, but since I am unfamiliar with your theme it didn't work. 

 

But following, anyway!!!

 

It's a bit of an obscure cartoon... but well worth watching

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

Link to comment

Here is the shit I learned from the last challenge:

 

*My squat seems to go ok with a bit less intensity and more volume - most of the times I cripple my lower back, it's from squatting and not deadlifting. However, the work I did with the SSB didn't seem to achieve too much because it alters my squat form too much.

*My bench needs a combination of high intensity and high volume

*My deadlift needs less volume and more intensity, also, block pulls don't seem to do too much for me. I put them in on the last program to try and strengthen my lower back but it seems like it was just busy work that had little carry over.

*Goal setting is what I need to work on, I really had to push to hit my 20 conditioning sessions and 15 tumbling/plyo sessions but having the goal there made me do it.

 

This is how I'm incorporating those lessons this time around:

 

*Running the same program again, with all the percentages bumped up by 2.5-5%.

*I'm going to incorporate heavy singles after the main sets for squats and deadlifts - ie: instead of just doing 5 x 2 at 80%, I will be doing 5 x 2 at 80%, 1 at 85%, 1 at 90%+ (on days where I'm feeling good I'll push hard, shitty days not so hard but still get at least one heavier single).

*I'll be doing box squats after deadlifts on fridays - they don't beat up my knees or hips a bad as regular squatting but I can still load the spine with some decent weights.

*Bench will largely remain the same, but instead of doing higher volume work every saturday, I'll be alternating weeks of volume and speed benching to see if that helps a bit.

*I'm swapping out the block pulls for deficits instead. I'll have to go a fair bit lighter (which will stop some of the lowerback pain) but it should help with drive from the floor.

*On some days, I'll be doing my accessory stuff in conditioning format, mostly just to make it a bit more interesting but also to sneak more conditioning in. It's getting colder here and it's going to be harder to do my conditioning in the mornings.

 

If this 9 week block doesn't give me better results then it's going in the trash and I'll start fresh with a different approach. But I have a good feeling about it. Plus, focusing on eating more should help too... I may just get a bit whiny at the end when I realise I'm fat again.

 

 

  • Like 6

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

Link to comment

Gah... Been looking for my wallet all morning... just found it in the fridge with the bag of veg while making lunch...

 

Just rambling...

 

ignoreme.png

  • Like 8

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

Link to comment
10 hours ago, Blocky said:

 

If this 9 week block doesn't give me better results then it's going in the trash and I'll start fresh with a different approach. But I have a good feeling about it. Plus, focusing on eating more should help too... I may just get a bit whiny at the end when I realise I'm fat again.

 

 

 

How many cals are you eating now? And are you currently gaining or losing weight? 

 

9 hours ago, Blocky said:

Gah... Been looking for my wallet all morning... just found it in the fridge with the bag of veg while making lunch...

 

 

3 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

It's supposed to be a rite of passage for wallets to hang out with veggies in the fridge. They are then considered very cool by the rest of the wallets.

 

hahahaaaaaa. I almost spit out my coffee. 

  • Like 2

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

Link to comment
13 hours ago, Blocky said:

Here is the shit I learned from the last challenge:

 

*My squat seems to go ok with a bit less intensity and more volume - most of the times I cripple my lower back, it's from squatting and not deadlifting. However, the work I did with the SSB didn't seem to achieve too much because it alters my squat form too much.

*My bench needs a combination of high intensity and high volume

*My deadlift needs less volume and more intensity, also, block pulls don't seem to do too much for me. I put them in on the last program to try and strengthen my lower back but it seems like it was just busy work that had little carry over.

*Goal setting is what I need to work on, I really had to push to hit my 20 conditioning sessions and 15 tumbling/plyo sessions but having the goal there made me do it.

 

This is how I'm incorporating those lessons this time around:

 

*Running the same program again, with all the percentages bumped up by 2.5-5%.

*I'm going to incorporate heavy singles after the main sets for squats and deadlifts - ie: instead of just doing 5 x 2 at 80%, I will be doing 5 x 2 at 80%, 1 at 85%, 1 at 90%+ (on days where I'm feeling good I'll push hard, shitty days not so hard but still get at least one heavier single).

*I'll be doing box squats after deadlifts on fridays - they don't beat up my knees or hips a bad as regular squatting but I can still load the spine with some decent weights.

*Bench will largely remain the same, but instead of doing higher volume work every saturday, I'll be alternating weeks of volume and speed benching to see if that helps a bit.

*I'm swapping out the block pulls for deficits instead. I'll have to go a fair bit lighter (which will stop some of the lowerback pain) but it should help with drive from the floor.

*On some days, I'll be doing my accessory stuff in conditioning format, mostly just to make it a bit more interesting but also to sneak more conditioning in. It's getting colder here and it's going to be harder to do my conditioning in the mornings.

 

If this 9 week block doesn't give me better results then it's going in the trash and I'll start fresh with a different approach. But I have a good feeling about it. Plus, focusing on eating more should help too... I may just get a bit whiny at the end when I realise I'm fat again.

My program usually works up to heavy singles for 1x1 then drop sets, for squat and deadlift at least. Not always for arm stuff. I have the same response as you to high rep lower % squat/deadlift - especially deadlift - I think the heaviness during maxout feels too scary after working off 75% or whatever. All to say, this looks awesome!

 

12 hours ago, Blocky said:

Gah... Been looking for my wallet all morning... just found it in the fridge with the bag of veg while making lunch...

 

Just rambling...

This is amazing. Good way to make sure you remember your vegetables.

  • Like 1

Challenge #1, #2, #3, #4

Link to comment
11 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

 

How many cals are you eating now? And are you currently gaining or losing weight? 

 

 

Somewhere between 1 and 100,000. I don't really know (nor care) as bickering over grams of stuff spins me out. I gained very slowly over the last challenge (about 2kg) and am expecting to go up another 3 or 4kg this challenge just by consciously eating more protein. My major problem is my waist size at the moment - my damn belt doesn't fit right - I either need to be smaller or bigger and I'm choosing bigger.

 

7 hours ago, Deciduous said:

My program usually works up to heavy singles for 1x1 then drop sets, for squat and deadlift at least. Not always for arm stuff. I have the same response as you to high rep lower % squat/deadlift - especially deadlift - I think the heaviness during maxout feels too scary after working off 75% or whatever. All to say, this looks awesome!

 

 

Yep yep. Heavy singles are just a different skill set than rep work and doing one won't necessarily prepare you for the other.

  • Like 1

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

Link to comment

Bench Day.

 

Bit of a mixed bag today... Used a 1-board press for my main lift and managed an equal PR of 125kg (Yay!). However my shoulder did not like today one bit and is quite annoyed right now (Boo!). On the bright side though - if I can hit an equal PR with a clunky shoulder then I can probably do better on that magical day when nothing hurts right? Seriously, it really threw everything off today - had to lower the weights really fricken slowly which took a toll. I was okay pressing, it was only the eccentrics that bothered me (a real deep ache in the entire left arm and some instability and weakness).

 

I followed that with some pin presses. I've never used them before, but I kinda love them - kinda like a box squat for the bench. Did 3 x 3 at 85kg and I'll build on that week after week. I think this will be a good movement to add the chains (or bands) on too. Probably bands actually - just to increase the rate of force development.

 

Went really light on the accessories because of stupid shoulder laziness. Upright rows with the kettlebell and tricep pushdowns.

 

Finished with 100 supine rows on the rings with a 15 kettlebell swing penalty anytime I had to stop. Ended up doing 7 sets of rows with 75 total kettlebell swings.

 

Get Stronger:                 2/15

Be larger than life:        Struggling today - I have zero appetite. Will have a big dindins and a bunch of protein before bed.

Patrol the Compound:   0/3

  • Like 5

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

all the work you do and no appetite? are you coming down with something? that's a serious question. 

 

I've been a little sick for the last few days but today is the first day I've been able to swallow without it feeling like broken glass in my throat - I think I was just too busy to think about food today. Ended up having a big dinner AND a protein shake.

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

Link to comment

following!

  • Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

Link to comment

Yesterday's conditioning was just a bunch of pushups and kettlebell swings in the am. For some reason, my wonky shoulder has come good again - it's only during benching apparently that it falls apart - pushups were just fine. Weird shoulder is weird.

 

Today I did:

skipping - 200 jumps

box jumps - 75 reps (I need more of these in my life - I was gasping for air and feeling like I was going to have a heart attack).

more kettlebell swings - 50

burpees - 25

 

I have deadlifts coming up soon and thankfully most of the DOMS from monday has fucked off so it should be a good session.

  • Like 5

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

Link to comment

Deadlift Day.

 

It actually went pretty well.

 

My target was a good set of 8 at 145kg which felt pretty easy and didn't look too bad on video (I have a bad habit of spinal rounding after the 3rdor 4th rep but today it was ok). Then I went up and did 165kg x 2, 180kg x 1 and 190kg x 1 (roughly an RPE of 8).

 

Then I did box squatting (I haven't used the box for 9+weeks so it felt a little weird) with the SSB and worked up to a single at 150kg (which would correlate roughly to a straight bar box squat at 170kg) and then 10 speedy doubles at 105kg which moved really fast but the bracing and effort gave me a massive headache.

 

Then some deadlifts from a deficit, leg presses against bands and some back extensions.

 

All in all it felt more productive than last cycle and I feellike it will lead to better gains.

 

Get Stronger:                 3/15

Be larger than life:        Did ok.

Patrol the Compound:   0/3  Not yet

 

Here is a gross gif:

stickytriumph.gif

  • Like 5

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines