Hey y'all

I've been a member of NF since 2013 but I usually stick to the Facebook group. Well, I introduced a friend to NF last night and we decided we're going to rock the next challenge together. Since I've hardly ever been active on the boards over the past four years, and because people change over time, I figure I might as well reintroduce myself. I used to be "salambander" but I've been using that name since I was 14 and I'm a little tired of it. 

me%20and%20ben.jpg

I'm a kindergarten teacher in China, and I review books on my blog in my free time so that I can read for free. I'm into scifi (these days the Expanse, Legion and Black Mirror are my favourites although I'm pretty happy with the new season of Doctor Who). My non-NF Texan fiance is a gamer, and I dabble in a bit of Stardew Valley and some Lego games but never very seriously. I do counted cross stitch, knitted a 14ft Doctor Who (Tom Baker) scarf, and I have been an expat since I was 3 years old so home is... somewhere. I like art and making stuff.

rafting.jpg

I was born in Johannesburg, grew up in Mauritius, lived in South Korea where I met my Texan (on a trip to Japan) and we moved to China together so he could teach music. He proposed last spring in Malaysia. I've eaten a lot of really weird food (including bullfrog, live sea urchin, dog, duck intestine, cow butt, silkworm pupae, mopani worms, warthog (YUM), and crocodile). I speak English, French, basic Korean and toddler Chinese. Working on my Texan metaphors, and sweating for the wedding dress (date to be determined). 

scuba%20diving.jpg

• Like 5

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

STR 0 | DEX 0 | CON | STA 0 | WIS 0 |CHA 0 

Battlelog | NF Character Sheet Template 2.0 (stats system) | NF Character Sheet Template v3.0 (XP system)

(File > Make a Copy), enter your own details, track everything in one place. Please PM me if you have any questions or ideas. 

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. - Arthur C Clarke

8 hours ago, Estral said:
Welcome to the forums! We have a lot of similarities, and your life sounds sooooo cool. All the pics from any future hikes, please!

Trying to plan a day hike for this coming long weekend... Much harder to do it in China though because information is so hard to come by. And besides, hiking is in Hangzhou while the Texan wants to go in the opposite direction to Shanghai to get a tuxedo made.

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger

Battlelog | NF Character Sheet Template 2.0 (stats system) | NF Character Sheet Template v3.0 (XP system)

(File > Make a Copy), enter your own details, track everything in one place. Please PM me if you have any questions or ideas. 

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. - Arthur C Clarke

6 hours ago, Gurdris the Imbiber said:

...the Texan wants to go in the opposite direction to Shanghai to get a tuxedo made.

I don't even know what to say to this, ahahaha!

6 hours ago, Gurdris the Imbiber said:

Trying to plan a day hike for this coming long weekend... Much harder to do it in China though because information is so hard to come by. 

Whoa! Like no little websites or pamphlets about nature trails or tourist walks or anything? My only experiences are in countries/states that love the shit out of hiking, so I'm super ignorant. 

1 minute ago, Estral said:

Whoa! Like no little websites or pamphlets about nature trails or tourist walks or anything? My only experiences are in countries/states that love the shit out of hiking, so I'm super ignorant. 

I know, right? We were living in Korea before and there was an 800km trail that went almost right through our back yard. Now we have to take a train to a neighbouring city, find a tourist kiosk there, maybe they might possibly have an English map with maybe a couple of inaccurate trails... None of the usual GPS hiking apps work because China hates foreign satellites so... Bleh. But I did find a hiking group that travels from Shanghai. We were planning to go to Korea for this long weekend so now we've decided not to, it's too late to sign up with the Shanghai hikers for their long weekend trip. *shrug* Maybe I can find some kind of walking tour of Shanghai.

I think he wants the tux for our wedding although we aren't planning to marry within the next 12 months and we're both losing weight, so I think it's silly to get one now. Still, I love a man in a tuxedo so... *eyebrow wiggle*

• Like 2

Level 1 Dwarven Ranger