[tinywonder] Puppets! Patterns! Priorities! & PUPPETS AGAIN! (5/27-6/23 Challenge)

Soooooo!

I am getting in on this new challenge too!  Last challenge was a sort of "grand" return to these fine forums, and I had a lovely time doing it, and could not wait to sign up or volunteer as tribute for the new challenge!

My goals in four parts are thus, this time, not all fitness oriented, because Summer's coming and I have art to make!

1) I have a FitBit. Time to make use of it's nifty app. I'm aiming to hit my step goal (10,000) everyday, but the goal is more to track food, water, sleep, and calories in/out. I tracked calories last challenge with a different app, but I am trying to take advantage of the Fitbit's all-in-one-stop-shop-ness. (This is the "pattern" part of my title, in that I am trying to sort out my eating, drinking, sleeping patterns)

2) Here's where things get more interesting, and a bit more... ME.  I am building a Rick for DragonCon (ala Rick & Morty), I've not been publicizing this, but I try to bring a new puppet down every year.  I've been leaning on #PuppetCapaldi from Doctor Who (you can google it, I actually show up!) but his tenure as The Doctor is ending and I feel the need to move to a new puppet. #PC is still coming with, I might even give him a new hair cut (wig).  But his days are numbered. I LOVE having grumpy old man puppets, I don't know why.  So I am making a Rick with mechanical eyes and brow. This is a huge step in my mechbuilding, and I am attending the National Puppetry Conference in June (during this challenge) to pick up tips from the incredible Jim Kroupa, who I studied with last year, and just wrap my brain around it all and STOP BEING SO SCARED OF JUST TRYING TO BUILD SOMETHING.
Anyway, it's going to be a lot of work, but it's going to be fantastic, I hope.

3) JAPANESE.  I am trying to head back to Japan to study Kuruma Ningyou Puppetry with a master there.  I've been invited, which is stellar, but I want to brush up and rebuild my Japanese. Right now I have been using Memrise (I've paid for it at a discount), and I just need to keep up once-a-day practicing. This will be most difficult when I am at The O'Neill (Puppet Conference mentioned above) but I can make it work. And if I fall off the wagon, I can climb back on.  Just trying to keep it a priority.  Japan is freaking amazing and I need to go back.

4) My last part of my goal was going to be veganism, but I am not sure.  Really it was going to be "Freeganism" because I wasn't going to complain if someone made me something that had egg in it, or dairy, I am just not that picky, or pretentious. But for myself at home, I was going to cut out dairy and animal byproducts.  I am still on the fence about how much a actually care about this though.  I am a vegetarian and have been for 15+ years, so that's not going anywhere... but veganism interests me, I just don't have the commitment to it.  That said, I am interested in trying it out, veganism with intent rather than vegan-by-accident. Maybe I'll book mark that for the next challenge.

PROPER GOAL 4) Zombie 5K Training.  I tried this last challenge and utterly, utterly failed.  I just couldn't get my schedule to fit it in.  I am attempting 3 evenings (or mornings?) a week with this app. I just need to do it. I intend to keep up running at The O'Neill, so that's a goal the conference won't shove-off. And maybe I'll eat a bunch of vegan lentils after.  Oh, and keep running shoes and clothes in a bag in my car, with an inhaler, so I am always ready to go.

That's about it, I would still love accountabilibuddying!  It helped me SO MUCH last challenge!

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, tinywonder said:

3) JAPANESE.  I am trying to head back to Japan to study Kuruma Ningyou Puppetry with a master there.  I've been invited, which is stellar, but I want to brush up and rebuild my Japanese. Right now I have been using Memrise (I've paid for it at a discount), and I just need to keep up once-a-day practicing. This will be most difficult when I am at The O'Neill (Puppet Conference mentioned above) but I can make it work. And if I fall off the wagon, I can climb back on.  Just trying to keep it a priority.  Japan is freaking amazing and I need to go back.

While I was at Uni I lived with a year with 3 students who were taking Japanese. I learned 100 Kanji and that "sakana" is fish. I think... :P Unfortunately, I remember more Irish Gaelic than Japanese though :)
You got this :D

Nina-Rose
Druid | Assassin | Monk

...if Ezio Auditore did metta...

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/102562

Four week challenges: 1-2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13+

2 minutes ago, Nina-Rose said:

While I was at Uni I lived with a year with 3 students who were taking Japanese. I learned 100 Kanji and that "sakana" is fish. I think... :P Unfortunately, I remember more Irish Gaelic than Japanese though :)
You got this :D

I didn't even know that!  But I do know that "kata" is shoulder, and my cat likes to be carried around the house draped over my shoulders, so I always tell him he's "Kata no Neko" or... "Shoulder Cat"!  He's deaf and doesn't care either way.  But I tell him.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, tinywonder said:

I didn't even know that!  But I do know that "kata" is shoulder, and my cat likes to be carried around the house draped over my shoulders, so I always tell him he's "Kata no Neko" or... "Shoulder Cat"!  He's deaf and doesn't care either way.  But I tell him.

I love it! I play Neko Atsume, but in reality, I use the colour of the text to translate it more than the kanji :P Good luck with your challenge.

Nina-Rose
Druid | Assassin | Monk

...if Ezio Auditore did metta...

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/102562

Four week challenges: 1-2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13+

I don't know why but I get ridiculously excited by your puppetry talk! It just seems like so much fun and your passion is really contagious.

And I just remembered a bit of a fun fact, I actually used to live in a converted puppet factory back in Bristol! It was quite fun because we'd occasionally get showreels mailed to us. :)

Either way, I look forward to following you again!

Ouff!  Stumple up top!
But that's okay.  I went on an impromptu tour with a band I knew from way back (This Way to the Egress, they are delightful and circus-y). I played saw with them when we toured together and they came through and what else was I to do for the weekend?  This means brilliant fun, but it also means my sleep habits were thrown of a cliff and dashed upon the crunchy waves below.
But now its Tuesday (for all intents and purposes, a very Monday Tuesday.) And I am back to my routine!  This doesn't bode incredibly well for running off to The O'Neill, but at least the O'Neill has its own sort of routine.

I actually had to come back here to check in with my goals.

1) Starting up again with the Fitbit (it's charging right now, bless it)  My weight is fluxuating a whole bunch (hello, being a lady-type!), I'm keeping an eye on it, but it's annoying.  It's not "the goal", but it's weird. I went through a few days of being absolutely starving all the time.  I ate pretty healthy, but that feeling was weird.  It's gone now, but worth nothing for myself.  I was also on tour which is brilliant, but is sort of a stress on the body, so that might be related.

2) I have actually made decent progress on my puppet film set, need to make the puppets and have a call with my director/instructor/mentors about this process, I'm saving Rick-work until after The O'Neill (where I can check in with Jim Kroupa, who is THE GUY. HE. IS. THE. GUY.)  But I have been binge-ing Rick & Morty and Doctor Who in the background while I work.

3)  I am back on the Japanese wagon, desperately awaiting the Duolingo app release of Japanese (iOS has it, but Android and the website do not.....COME ON!)  But Memrise is still kicking butt and taking names in the meanwhile.  And I got a Japanese font working on my Mac.  Not to get into the PC v. Mac debate (I use and have both) but PC handles Japanese writing WAY BETTER than Mac, I was really disappointed.  It's faster to just type on my phone in Japanese.

4) Zombie 5K, I am actually RIGHT ON TRACK (finally) with this, starting week 4 this evening.  A little nervouse because it steps up from "1 minute running" to "5 minute running" and that's a big step for my very crappy lungs.  But I have an inhaler, and I am up for it.  Training is hard.  That's why it's training.

That's it.  Hope everyone here is enjoying this first week of it all!

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, tinywonder said:

This means brilliant fun, but it also means my sleep habits were thrown of a cliff and dashed upon the crunchy waves below.

Sounds like an amazing weekend!  Good work on the challenge so far.

Current Challenge: TBD

Past Challenges: Road to Redemption  Spartan! 006 Triwizard Wonder (1/2) Bourne Foundations Storyteller

"Come stay a while and listen" - Deckard

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf 

I am excited to hear more about your adventures. Following.

• Like 1

Challenge:   0   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27   28   29   30   31   32   33  34  35  36  37  38  39 

"Ack!  Sinus Nightmare!

Film proposal swappage!
I am in a dead run!"

I started writing that last week, got distracted (would you believe?) and never updated.
My film proposal went from lofty intellectual film about free speech and ingenuity in 2015 Spain, to... a cute film about a fish looking for love!  Seriously.  It was another storyboard I sent in and Monday last I received an email saying: "Let's do that one". So I've been in a scramble to get it all done.  This skyrocketed to the top of my priority lists, and my goals have slipped a bit, but I don't mind.  I do want to keep track of the calories in/out while I'm on this trip, which technically starts this evening, and I'll arrive there Tuesday morning.
My bag is packed with foam puppets and tightly rolled clothes, vitamins, and that sort of thing.

I am attaching a photo of some of the puppets I scrambled to make.  Thus confirming TSA will totally make me unpack and repack my bag.  I have all sorts of meticulously tetrissed weirdness in there.

fishandfriends.jpg.7bfd11c290fbc39813b7d6587d9173c9.jpg

Hooray!  "I'm just a fish and nobody loves me" is going to be A THING!

Other than that, I've missed my stepgoal, but that's because I've been sweating out my free time in the studio as opposed to walking.  I am hoping to kick it up when I am at the O'Neill, but I don't know quite how that will work, if I'll be walking a bunch, or crouching (squatting, what, what!?) over a computer working meticulously on a scene or shot. And later carving a marionette, that's the second half of this conference, but the first is film and needs the most work done upfront.

Japanese is coming along pretty well, I missed a day or two, so my streak is not epic, but it's getting there.  My travel focus is all Japan once this trip gets sorted out (see: happens).  So yeah, things are going along well.  I have a killer headache, I need to pound some water after this very necessary coffee gets done.

Enjoy your week!  I know I will.

• Like 1

OH MY GOD.
THAT JUST HAPPENED.

Did any of you attend Camp NerdFitness?  If you did, you'll note there's an incredible high of finding your tribe, and a ROUGH A.F. fall out after you leave them.  This is The O'Neill, in some ways, for me personally, this even more the O'Neill because it's about making art, and just breaking down your walls until you are just a shining mess of soul and heart.  You're over the moon in love with like... 30 people at the same time. Because your heart is so interlaced with them and their art and what they can do with their minds and their hands a bit of cardboard and masking tape. I'm not depressed, thank god, I'm inspired beyond words.

I had goals?  Probably did.  But I crushed it.  There is a fish film, I am uploading it in a few hours, I will post a link.  I made an incredible marionette with the help of masters.  I am now super buds with so many amazing people and Martin Robinson (Sunffalupagus) has asked me repeatedly to sing him "i'm Just a Fish" and whistles it to himself when I am not able to.

I can't even describe the amount of joy in my heart and sleep deprived body right now.
I'm sure I met my step count or something.
I am about to clear my studio out for film making and building Rick.  

Meanwhile, if you've ever had to leave your people behind like I just did, here is a song that fell out of my brain in 20 minutes, I am performing it at a pub on campus at our last pub show.  Please enjoy.

• Like 1

Whelp, that's a four week challenge nearly done.  I don't think I quite hit any of my perceived goals from up top, but I feel great anyway because ART.
I'll probably re-up these goals for the next challenge.  I am a bit more (but never totally) feet-on-the-ground next month, with only one escaping to hit New York because I miss it.

Watching mech videos on my lunch break to wrap my brain around how I want the eyes and brows of Rick to work, I'm getting closer to understanding it.  And I need to place an order for supplies to make it happen. That's a good feeling...needing to get supplies because you're ready.

Oooooo.  I haven't really much to say beyond that.  The two weeks away really upended my goal progress, but at the same time was the perfect thing I needed, so it's a draw but I feel like it was a victory anyway.

• Like 2

Sounds like one of the unspoken goals was to keep making good art, and you definitely nailed that one. Love the video, and so cool that you got to hang out with snuffalupagus! Hopefully you're leaving the challenge, maybe not with the original goals, but feeling better about everything you do.

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

31 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Sounds like one of the unspoken goals was to keep making good art, and you definitely nailed that one. Love the video, and so cool that you got to hang out with snuffalupagus! Hopefully you're leaving the challenge, maybe not with the original goals, but feeling better about everything you do.

True that!  I am assessing my goals for the next challenge, and I think I am going to keep this three part thing going, 1- Health and fitness, 2-Japanese, 3- Puppet Build or similar art project, 4-would probably be a time management thing, I need to read some time blocking tip articles, etc, I think I'd benefit from them.

Also yes, Snuffalupagus is great, but Telly Monster I love even more, and they are the same guy <3

I'm even trying to get up the nerve to cold call one of my mentors and study with him in NYC in July.  Even if we just meet for tea and start that process, I want to learn from him so much and all-of-a-sudden I am super shy again and don't want to bother anyone.... so maybe interim goal for me is "suck it up, you're actually pretty good at what you do!" I have (and many, MANY people do, in all businesses) super Impostor Syndrome, so a large part of my time is wasted worrying about such nonsense.  I should just be building and performing weird shows, really.

See you guys next challenge, I hope!

v and marty.jpg

• Like 1