Erithehedgehog is out of hibernation.

Hello. 

I was here once before many years ago. Never really got into anything due to a lack of confidence and motivation. Joined a gym 2 weeks ago and I'm loving it. But I don't have a clue where to go past what the gym induction guy told me. 

I have seen an improvement in the 2 weeks (a little weight loss and measurements have changed too) and I've found that I've gotten stronger. But I don't know where to go from here...

So many questions! 

:)

• Like 2

"I think it was blessed are the cheesemakers."

"What's so special about the cheesemakers?"

"Well obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products."

EriTheHedgehog, level 0 Wood elf. Druid at heart, training with the adventurers.

STR 0|DEX 0|STA 0|CON 0|WIS 0|CHA 0

Challenge 1: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/42099-watch-out-world-eris-coming-to-getcha/

Thank you lovely people! 

I shall check out the videos. My main thing is being nervous about going near the weights section. There are a few people who go to the gym that I knew from high school (they weren't always nice to me if you see what I mean). So far, no one has recognised me or if they have they've not said anything. I know it's silly but it's making me a little bit squirmy. 

My main goal is to get strong! Basically (and this is silly) I want to look good in a Wonder Woman costume. That's not to say people have to be a certain shape to rock a Wonder Woman costume, but I want more muscle definition... does that make sense? 

"Well obviously it's not meant to be taken literally; it refers to any manufacturers of dairy products."

EriTheHedgehog, level 0 Wood elf. Druid at heart, training with the adventurers.

Challenge 1: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/42099-watch-out-world-eris-coming-to-getcha/

Yes, that makes sense to me. 

Everyone is a beginner at some point. I just started with barbells about a year and a half ago. I find that for building confidence, it helps to start with dumbbells while you get used to being in the free weight area and then progress to barbells when you feel comfortable and able. 

My best suggestion if you are really really nervous is to just try one new dumbbell or barbell exercise every couple of weeks, so you can get comfortable slowly. When I started I didn't try to learn everything at once. There is a lot to learn! 

In terms of following a beginner program, I normally recommend someone start with Strong Lifts and modify the exercises to start with Dumbbells, this can be found here: https://stronglifts.com/ 

But I also own the book Strong Curves by Bret Contreras and I find his work to be a lot more accessible to the female population, especially beginners. He has a great book. And while it sounds like it is primarily focused on glutes, he has a good overall program in there that works the whole body. There is a lot of great beginner information in there that is helpful to a new person on the topics of both diet and fitness: https://www.amazon.com/Strong-Curves-Womans-Building-Better/dp/1936608642 The book lays out a 12 week program and gives you exercises to do. I almost forgot to add that he has pictures of all of the exercises in the book. 

Also, I have found that in general men are impressed by a woman using the free weight area at all, rather than judging them. I'm a pretty chubby lady and have never received the side eye.

Also calling on @RedStone to see if she has anything to add. 

• Like 2

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

Wow that's great! Thank you for the book recommendation - I am one of those folk that will read ALL the things before I embark on anything. I am going to the gym tomorrow (rest day today) and I'm going to give it a go. :)

Thank you so much!