EternalJourno will never settle (unless it's Catan)

FatboySuave

You want to be really cautious about running if you have plantar fasciitis.  When I got it the second time, I kept running on it and did all kinds of damage to my feet, and it took a year to heal.  Your podiatrist will likely recommend custom orthotics, which is what helped me.  That's my cautionary tale, YMMV.

• Like 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

3 hours ago, fae713 said:

Related to meds vs therapy, one thing to keep in mind is that frequently you can start with medications while trying to find a therapist. The two work well together, especially since most medications for depression/anxiety take weeks for you to see much benefit from them. I pretty much tell my patients that they'll feel a difference in quality of sleep, energy, and motivation first, within  2-3 weeks, but the actual anxiety/mood benefits frequently aren't seen until after 4-6 weeks. It's frequently why providers will start meds first, if a patient is up willing to give them a go, then look at therapy. Some providers are also wary of immediately referring to a therapist because that can be more money than someone is able to pay, more so outside large cities where there are more community mental health centers.

That's a very thoughtful answer Fae.

• Like 2
On 5/22/2017 at 4:08 PM, EternalJourno said:

my dog Booklet

I'm dying to hear the story behind the name!

• Like 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:48 PM, Hoosiercheetah said:

I second this! I love the name.

• Like 1

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice)

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 11 || INT 15 || WIS 16 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 0:48 PM, Hoosiercheetah said:

13 hours ago, StarlordPhoenix said:

I second this! I love the name.

I believe he also has a cat named Novel. Who must be more shy than Booklet, since we never get pics of the kitty. :) 

• Like 2

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

Sorry I've been absent lately. Haven't quite been feeling 100 percent and haven't been keeping up with my quests. My physician increased my dosage to see how things go. I'm not so sure I'm actually seeing a benefit. There was one day when I forgot to take my meds and I felt really awful the next day, which may be proof that they're working. But otherwise I don't know that much has changed — yet. She also gave me a referral to see a therapist, so I did an initial screening yesterday. They assigned me somebody random for my first official visit in about two weeks, so we'll see how that goes. I'm just feeling off. I know I should workout when I get home, but my legs are sore. I worked out Tuesday and lateral lunges are no joke. So we'll see.

As for work, I spent two nights in Santa Fe last week for a workshop. It's a collaborative project focusing on solutions journalism. It was nice to get away. I met a lot of cool people and being in that sort of environment got me really excited about the work we're going to be doing. But then as soon as I got home (this was also the night after I forgot my meds), my mood instantly crashed. Then when I tried to talk to my boss about the workshop and some of my thoughts, he pretty much shot down everything, so that brought me down even further. I don't think he meant to or realized it, but he basically stared me in the eyes as he told me that there was no real reason to try anything new. And this was two days after I visited an old coworker/friend in Albuquerque. She tried to light a fire under me to get me to be more active at work and to read more and do all kinds of things, but then being around a boss who has no real ambition just sucks the life out of you. It really makes me want to leave and try to get a journalism job in a place were they actually care about things and might push me to be better. I still feel like I have a lot to learn, and I'm not leveling up here at all unless I go out of my way to do it, but it's hard when there's no support.

I'll try to end this on a lighter note. Facebook reminded me that today is the 1-year anniversary of meeting Booklet :) It's also the 1-year anniversary of the time I first tried zumba. Booklet was a stray dog in my neighborhood who was super adorable and friendly. I met her immediately after I got home from zumba and I think it was fate. For whatever reason, I walked down the street to take a picture of the sunset and that's when Book and another stray found me. If I had gone straight into my house, I never would have found her. I fell in love instantly. And her name is inspired by Shepherd Book from Firefly. I always knew that if I got a dog I would name it Book, but since she was a girl I went with Booklet. And then my cat's name is indeed Novel, which is partly inspired by an R&B singer/rapper named Novel, lol. Novel is still getting used to having Book in the house. When the dog's not in the house though, Novel is more comfortable cuddling with me on the bed, which she used to do all the time. And she's more willing to stand up to Book — in fact, I think she sort of likes fighting with the dog, lol. She'll hiss and swipe a bit, but she's not as terrified as she used to be. It's like that thing when kids want you to pretend to be a monster because they want to be chased. That's what Novel does. Here's a video of me working out featuring Novel :)

• Like 2

Current Challenge  
Battle Log

Previous Challenges: 1 — 23456 — 78910111213 — 14 — 1516 — 17181920 — 2122 — 23 — 24 — 25 

Wow, you look different with no hair! And Novel is hilarious. I love the half-hearted swipe as you walk by, just to keep you in your place. Then the "oh, crap the human is doing weird things again!!" look and scamper at the end.

• Like 2

My head and my heart haven't been in this challenge. I've been eating out way too much. I had a few days where I was feeling really down mentally/emotionally, so I've been using that as an excuse to eat crap and be lazy. I think my brain/body have been struggling to get used to the higher dosage of meds, but I actually feel clear headed right now. I'm still having my ups and downs, so it's hard to tell if the meds are really, truly helping, but I'm going to keep it up and see how things go.

I went to the podiatrist today and it was the quickest $120 bucks I've ever spent, lol. An $80 copay up front plus $40 for new shoe inserts for a 5 minute visit, lol. Basically I told him I thought I had plantar fasciitis and the doc read me off his script and told me to stretch and gave me some muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatory meds. And he wants me to stay off my feet unless necessary. So I'm going to avoid walking, running, hiking, jumping, etc. for the next 2-3 weeks, which is disheartening as far as being active, but I need to let my foot heal.

Since I won't be as active, I'm going to use the next few weeks to really rest — physically and mentally. I'm also going on vacation next week, so that may present some diet challenges, but getting out of town and seeing family/friends always makes me feel better, so I think it'll be good for me overall. I'm gonna take a break from the forums for a while too. So I'll see everyone in a few weeks. Keep up the good fight!

• Like 3

Current Challenge  
Battle Log

Previous Challenges: 1 — 23456 — 78910111213 — 14 — 1516 — 17181920 — 2122 — 23 — 24 — 25 

3 hours ago, EternalJourno said:

And he wants me to stay off my feet unless necessary.

Did he write you a prescription for a Rascal scooter, too?? I mean, how is using your feet "not necessary?"

Sounds like the quack I went to when my knees were hurting in college. He told me to avoid stairs and hills. 1) I lived on the 4th floor of a dorm with no elevator and 2) the campus was built on the top of a hill, so everywhere was either uphill or downhill from somewhere. I mean, seriously??

He also told me to avoid squats, which I now know are pretty much the only things that keep my knees operational. Worst. Advice. Ever. /rant and not saying that your doctor's advice was bad, because your situation is different, just...ugh! I'm sorry!

And take your break, give Novel and Booklet extra hugs from all of us, then please come back when you're ready. We'll be here ready to cheer you on when you do!

(BTW, I think this post has the most extraneous punctuation I've ever used. It felt right so I went with it, hope your inner editor doesn't set fire to something when you read it. ;) )

• Like 2

It's amazing the negative stories we tell ourselves about ourselves rather then focusing on what we have done or doing for ourselves.

Journo, if there's one person on this board that have made an amazing transformation, your up there! 

But I read from Mark Sission blog one time, that when losing weight our mind doesn't catch up sometime. Our mind is stuck in the "fat" you or the "not good enough"you.  When you are losing and/or strengthening, we also have to lose negativity weight in our mind and stregthen our positivity. 

Ive been reading your posts for almost a year now, and watching your words shame your actions seems to reoccur frequently. 

But I see/read about dude that walks his dog, works out with a cool cat posing for us, finding time to do a bad ass Zumba class and still makes time to connect with friends over a board game and a couple of beers.

I hope when you take a break you realize what you are doing for yourself and your future habits. 

• Like 3

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

I hope you're having a great time on your break, you need it!  R&R is very important in general, but especially when you have an injury.

You've done some stellar work through your challenges, come back soon and we'll continue to cheer for you! :D

• Like 2

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

Hey man,

I started lurking a couple days ago but couldn't resist to hear how you are doing since you dropped RH.

Well, I am sorry to hear that you are in pain.

Now, I'very been trying to stay out of those things but I just won't here.

It just sounds like they didn't take you face fully.

Don't refrain from walking, you need the movement to help reacess the situation.

Massage your feet regularly as in the back of your foot to loosen up the short dorsal muscles and the sole especially the big toe flexor (fully extend the toe and massage the arch area from the heel to the ball) this one is mean but it is going to help you.

Chilling down a plasticbottle of water and using it to masage the sole can help with the pain but rember to extend the toes when you do it or it won't do anything.

Heck your insole, did they elevate your inside ball? If not take a piece of cushioning or a paper tissue and tape it under the insole but only under the ball not the whole inside (you want to help your shin muscles to stabilise the arc not to angle the whole foot inwards).

Remember not to use the insoles with shoes that provide supinata on from the get go or if will push you in the next extreme.

I am right with them about impact related things like running or jumping until you got most of the pain under control without meds but regular walking shouldn't be an issue as long as you aren't going for serious hikes or walks with a big load of heavy groceries, so don't walk home carrying a couple big bags of metal ;)

Have a good eye on your classes, is the pain getting worse afterwards? If so, give it a rest for a couple of weeks, if not you are good.

Check your shoes, preferably pick models with a bit of a heel (about an inch should be fine), a sturdy sole and some roll under the ball. Hiking boots are great for that or walking/running shoes without supi/pronation.

Now just to make sure we are on the same page, I do not know your exact predicament and I can't check on you, let alone gather haptic or optic information, so I'm playing the odds here and going by what I could gather here.

Feel free to try some suggestions out for a couple of days and see if they help.

If they do (and I do believe so) great, if not drop them, if the pain gets worse immediately (don't finish your walk then).

I am not a doctor but I see a lot of people with footpain in a regular day.

Take care of yourself

Casbin

• Like 2

Challenge: 0.1, 12, 3, 4, 5th, current (lost track)

Character

Thanks for the advice, @Casbin!

The podiatrist did recommend stretching, which I've been doing every night (when I remember). I do the ABCs with my foot and scrunch up a towel with my toes and some calf stretches with my foot in different positions. He also recommended massaging with a frozen water bottle, but I haven't remembered to do that. He also prescribed me an anti-inflammatory. I'm currently wearing New Balance shoes (at the suggestion of my physician) and the podiatrist gave me a good pair of full-length shoe inserts. I'm gonna try to stay off my feet for the next week or two and see how I feel. I'm going on vacation this week, so I may end up doing a bit of walking/exploring, but otherwise my plan is to just rest and reset completely — physically and mentally.

Current Challenge  
Battle Log