The Silver Archer: Through the Mists of Time

SkyGirl

THE SILVER ARCHER

Chapter 2: Through the Mists of Time

greece-zakynthos-coast-beach.jpg

(Photo credit: https://greecewithfriendstravel.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/greece-zakynthos-coast-beach.jpg)

The thick green mist was hanging heavy and close to the earth in the bottom of the valley, just a little dip between two hills that seemed to hold more mist than it ought to be able to hold. Trees grew around and over the hollow like a canopy, but not an inviting one. The shadows were too dark for my taste, especially contrasted with the brilliant spring sun above.

"Mistral," I called, breaking into a trot to keep up with my teacher up ahead, "are you sure we have to go down there? It looks strange!"

Mistral glanced at me as I drew alongside her, and her face crinkled into a smile under her warm purple hood. "Don't worry, Sky, it's all right. I've been here many times. It will be strange at first, but you'll learn your way around."

"Learn my way around?" I slowed my steps and waved my arms to keep from sliding down the slight, muddy incline. "How big is this valley, anyway?"

Mistral laughed. "No no, Sky, not in the valley. We're going through the valley."

As we moved into the valley and closer to the tree-canopy, the greenish mist began to swirl softly out from between the trees and toward us, almost as if it were gathering us into a silent embrace. I grimaced and jumped backward a few steps, keeping my hand on my Silver Bow - somehow, I could sense a presence in this mist, or a consciousness - almost as if it were somehow alive. Who or what was reaching out to us? Was it friendly? Could this be another trick from my enemy, the Dark Elf? Normally when his presence was near, I could feel it in the constellation of icy-white scars across my right arm; but I felt none of that chill as the mist approached, only a strange churning in my stomach and goosebumps running down the back of my neck. 

Mistral, however, continued calmly down the hill and in between the two curling tendrils of the mist that began to encircle her. She did not seem to acknowledge the presence, but she did lift her hands slightly, as if in a defenseless gesture, as she passed between the first trees and out of my sight. "Come along, Sky," her voice floated back to me, a bit high and tense. "Stay with me, please."

Maybe if I ran, I would avoid the touch of the mist. Quickly, I gathered up my skirt and trotted between the two swirls, ducking in between the trees - and stopping short with a gasp. Inside the canopy, the branches and limbs of the trees wound together in spiraling, intricate patterns to form a beautiful woodland cathedral. The sun shone vividly through the bright green leaves like stained glass, shimmering and sparkling like a shower of diamonds across the flattened floor as the wind passed through and fluttered the leaves. In the center of the cathedral, a deep, clear blue pool was surrounded by a circular pavement of flat, smooth stones. One of the stones formed the top of a staircase that led curving down the sides of the pool, into the water and far, far beyond my sight.

Sudden panic burst in my stomach and I reached out to rest my hand on Mistral's arm. "Mistral, we - we're not going down there, are we?"

Mistral seemed not to notice how high-pitched my voice was. "Not today - another day," she said absently, freeing her arm and walking toward the right side of the pool. "Follow me."

As she passed by the pool, she bent low to dip her left hand into the water, touched her wet fingertips to her forehead, and then walked straight ahead of her, disappearing into the green mist. I took a deep breath and did the same - I bent down to dip my fingers into the water, which was surprisingly warm, and touched them to my forehead. As I walked straight forward in the direction Mistral had gone, I felt the water on my forehead begin to tingle and grow warmer, almost hot. The mist grew thicker until I could not see what was ahead of me - I could no longer see the trees, and when I looked down, I could not see the ground or even my feet. Heart pounding, I twisted my head to look behind me, and sure enough, I couldn't see behind me, either. I was completely engulfed in the mist.

I breathed deeply and clenched my jaw as I kept walking forward, faster now, fighting the temptation to call out for Mistral. I could do this. She wasn't afraid; I didn't need to be either. We were almost through the valley to the other side.

At last, after a span of minutes I couldn't measure, the mist began to thin. I could see my feet, and I could see the hazy outline of the sun above my head. We must have made it through the tree-canopy and back out to the other side. Mistral was up ahead - I could see her shape, still walking forward, now with her hood pushed off to show her short-cropped gray hair. I hurried up to walk beside her - but when I reached her, I stared. "Mistral, your clothes!"

Gone were my teacher's handspun, faded robes - before my eyes, she had transformed into a warrior queen, her graceful neck emerging from a luxurious amethyst robe fastened at each shoulder with glittering golden clasps. A wide, heavy leather belt tightly encircled her slim waist, golden bracelets shone on each wrist, and a delicate golden circlet rested on her head. Every flutter of her light, flowing gown shimmered with grace; yet, somehow, she was also bristling with weapons - two daggers and a sword were attached to her belt, and the straps that crossed the center of her chest held a quiver and a slim golden bow.

"What -" I couldn't even formulate the question. "How -"

"You look quite nice yourself," she laughed, and nodded at me. "It's much more comfortable for this Mediterranean climate, don't you agree?"

I barely had time to glance down and gasp at my own wardrobe change - I wore a long, simple white robe with a silver cord tied around my waist, a light metal breastplate that fastened tightly but flexibly around my ribcage, and a heavy red cape - before snapping my gaze back up and staring in wonder at the landscape that unfolded in front of me. We were no longer on the northern plains, or anywhere that I had ever been in my short life. We were standing atop a high ridge that dropped sharply down into the brightest, clearest green-blue water I had ever seen, vast waters stretching far out to the deep blue horizon. No clouds marred the perfect bowl of the sky above us, but a fresh breeze chased around us and swept out to the rocky islets far below our feet, where bushes, scrubby trees and brilliant flowers grew between white houses of all shapes and sizes.

We had indeed passed "through the valley." Wherever we were, we were no longer in Middle Earth.

• Like 6

SKY ELVENWORD

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 42

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

Books in Progress:

Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (24%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%)  |  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (0%) 
Books Finished:
Captivating (100%)  |  The Prodigal God (100%)  |  Not Yet Married (100%)  |  Gentle and Lowly (100%)

Following along again.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

2 hours ago, ForestGoddess said:

Awesome...following along again! I love your writing, it is beautiful.

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along again.

2 hours ago, IAmInfinite said:

Following from the beginning this time! :D

I HAZ FOLLOWERS

tumblr_o5brut5Au21slcmgdo1_500.gif 

So glad you're all here!! This is going to be a great challenge, I can feel it! :) 

• Like 4

SKY ELVENWORD

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

Books in Progress:

Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (24%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%)  |  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (0%) 
Books Finished:
Captivating (100%)  |  The Prodigal God (100%)  |  Not Yet Married (100%)  |  Gentle and Lowly (100%)

Looking forward to Sky's new adventure.

• Like 1

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Loving your prose. All the follows 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Following of course! Love the narrative intro!

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

We're already halfway through Week Zero, and that means goal-setting time!

tumblr_omolj4oVm51uorz8zo4_540.gif 

My goal for this challenge is to keep things very streamlined and simple. My research is heating up and I'm adding things to my to-do list faster than I can check them off. Because I had such a short break between the end of one class and the beginning of the next - one week precisely - I'm struggling to stay motivated to keep up my usual strong pace and be efficient and organized, like I usually am during the semester. I don't want to come in to the office in the mornings; I stay up late goofing off, sleep in too late the next morning, and then have trouble staying focused on my work once I do make it to campus. This lack of motivation is spilling over into my challenge planning, too - the temptation to take one more cookie, go to the gym "tomorrow," etc. are much stronger than they were. 

So the point of all that is, my challenge goals need to be realistic, specific, and very, very simple. I'm going to change up the structure to weekly check-ins for most things, instead of daily. And I'm going to limit them to three or four goals, at most - I have a bad habit of sneaking in 4 or 5 sub-goals under each big goal, so suddenly I have 12 goals instead of 3.  ;)  

And this new location for my narrative is already making me feel annoyed in a good way - it's going to make me stretch and look at Sky from a different angle, and that's a good thing. There will be some new characters, and I've been saying for weeks that it's time for Sky to start leading her own missions, so now I need to write up some of them. And we need to see a full demonstration of Mistral's Ranger skills - she's been more of an elegant scholar up to this point, but supposedly she's also a mighty Ranger, so we need to see her in action!

Thoughts will become specific goals in a shortly upcoming post ...

• Like 6

SKY ELVENWORD

Books in Progress:

Books Finished:

On 5/25/2017 at 0:44 PM, Virago said:

Love the start - can't wait to hear your goals!

4 hours ago, Shadri said:

Hai! :D I am here. Hopefully I will be better at keeping up with people this challenge. 

1 hour ago, MiaulinTheCat said:

This is a Callout: Your writing is too good. Always. You're so consistently wonderful with your narratives and I love reading them! <3

Looking forward to watching you own this challenge! :3

Hello dear friends!! I'm so glad you're here!! @MiaulinTheCat, you are WAY too sweet and I thank you for your encouragement! I guess I'll keep on scribbling if you keep on enjoying it! :D 

d84f54cc01a7757c43b74a025e199ed6.gif 

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD

Books in Progress:

Books Finished:

WEEK ONE

mission: focused

giphy.gif 

Fitness Goals: By the end of the month, I will:

- Be able to do 10 front and side raises with 7.5-pound dumbbells

- Be able to do 20 chest presses with 12.5-pound dumbbells

- Be able to do 40 overhead presses with 10-pound dumbbells

- Reach goal: Be able to do 20 overhead presses with 12.5-pound dumbbells

- Be able to row 15 minutes at 36 strokes / minute

- Reach goal: Row 20 minutes at 34 strokes / minute

This will be a weekly check-in, and very simple: Did I go to the gym twice this week? I need to get better about tracking how many reps I do and with what weight, but I'm not making that a goal, just a reminder.

Money Goals: May was a very, very expensive month for me, partly due to expenses like tuition and the dentist, but I also spent lavishly at a fundraiser for a friend whose son is very sick, and I spent way too much on my hair, and I bought too many new clothes, and yada yada yada. So. This month, I will:

- Limit my portion of the grocery spending to $200 or less.

- BUY NO NEW CLOTHES. Really. I don't need them. I will sanction ONE allowance this month if I find something really useful or beautiful, but that must be less than $30.

- Limit my eating-out budget to $80 or less.

- Buy no more than 1 coffee per week.

This will be a weekly check-in, also very simple: Did I meet my money goals this week? (So for each week, did I limit my part of the grocery spending to $50 or less? Did I buy no new clothes [or, if I took an allowance, was it less than $30]? Did I limit my eating-out budget below $20? Did I buy 1 coffee or no coffee?)

Food Goals: I'm just not going to be able to change my diet a whole food group at a time. I'm just not. So, instead, I'm starting with reducing my sugar intake. My daily sugar allotment is 48 grams; so 48 grams x 7 days = 336 g of sugar per week. This will be a weekly check-in: Did I consume 336 g or less of sugar this week? This hinges on my tracking everything in MFP, so it's kind of a sneaky sub-goal there; but I'm not going to sweat it too much.

Bible Goals: Time to get back on track here, too. I will finish reading 2 Corinthians and Psalms this month. Psalms might be a bit ambitious, but I'll try.  :-)

So my signature line will look like:

Gym: _ / _ / _ / _           Last Lift: _______

Money: _ / _ / _ / _       Sugar: _ / _ / _ / _

Bible: 2 Corinthians / Psalms

Even my extreme case of RangerBrain can keep track of that!!

And points:

Gym

4 checks = +8 STR, +2 STA, +4 DEX

3 checks = +6 STR, +1 STA, +2 DEX

2 checks = +2 STR, +1 DEX

1 check = +1 STR

Money

4 checks = +4 CON, +2 WIS

3 checks = +3 CON, +1 WIS

2 checks = +1 CON

Sugar

4 checks = +4 CON, +4 WIS

3 checks = +3 CON, +3 WIS

2 checks = +2 CON, +2 WIS

1 check = +1 CON, +1 WIS

Bible

2 Corinthians = +4 WIS

Psalms = +4 WIS, +2 STA

Let's do this!!

• Like 3

SKY ELVENWORD

Books in Progress:

Books Finished:

I trotted to keep up with Mistral as she strode down the long white path that led to the nearest cluster of buildings gleaming in the hot sun. The cool, fresh breeze coming off the ocean flapped my long white robe around my knees, and I abruptly became aware of the soft leather sandal straps that wound all the way up my legs and buckled just below my knees.

"I've never seen clothes like this before," I said breathlessly, finally catching up and trotting alongside my teacher. "Where are we? This isn't Middle Earth, is it?"

Mistral chuckled and slowed her pace so I could catch my breath. "Yes and no ... it is the Middle Earth of another time and place. There are no elves here, or hobbits, or dwarves, for that matter - only men. We have gone back to an earlier age of men and another place far from the forests you know." I opened my mouth to ask one of the questions that filled my mind, but she stopped me with a reassuring smile. "You'll love it here, Sky, I promise you will. Here you will meet others who share your love of words, writing, reading, and study - you've done well learning how to become a Ranger, how to live and work in the forest; but now you will learn how to strengthen the powers that drive your Silver Bow."

I subconsciously reached up to rest my hand on the light, cool bow that hung familiarly on my shoulder. "How much stronger will it get? I mean, I already know how to bring clarity with it, and how to heal, and how to kill - what else can it do?"

Mistral opened her mouth to speak with sparkling eyes, but then the light dimmed; she hesitated and bit her lip, a little crease appearing above her eyebrows. I sensed that there was more power in this Bow than I realized, and she was uncertain how much I should know. "There are other teachers, whom I'm taking you to meet, who will be able to answer that question better than I can. But it can become very powerful, when it's in the right hands."

I tugged a little at my breastplate and took a deep, doubtful breath. "So ... do I have the right hands? Will I get to use all that power?"

She was quiet for a moment, reaching out to drag her fingers lightly through the graceful fan-like leaves that waved along the white stone path. "That is what we're going to find out. There are many types of Archers, all with different strengths and skills. Some are the Warriors, who use their powers to destroy, for good or evil. Some are Bards and Mystics - they create story-worlds and songs with their arrows and can bring people in and out of them, again, for good or evil. Some heal, some fight to gather wealth, some capture and protect knowledge. You are clearly a healer, but even the Arrow-Healers' powers can differ from one another. Some healers' powers are small - they stay in just a few places their whole lives, healing individuals, or sometimes communities. Some healers can protect entire forests or regions. And -" she took a deep breath. "The most powerful healers can lead nations. Stop wars. Heal entire worlds."

I stared at my teacher. "And - and I could be that?"

"You could. Or your powers could be small. I'm bringing you to some teachers who will work with you to see what you can do."

"But -" All the questions jumbled together so I didn't know what to ask first. Who were the teachers? How would they find out what I was capable of? Would I have to show them my skills that Ayre had taught me? Could I do that? What else was I going to learn? What would I do if my powers were stronger than I realized? Or, what if I wanted them to be stronger than they actually were - what then? How long was I going to stay here? Would I ever return to the Middle Earth I knew? What would I do when I returned? Why hadn't Saevel been asked to come with us? 

We rounded a corner and the path changed to white stone steps, leading down to the main street of the beautiful white city. It was brighter and cleaner than a city street back home - there were merchants and servants and craftsmen, certainly, but they wore light, flowing, colorful garments and gold or silver ornaments that sparkled in the sun. The usual city stench was much less, out here in the sun and ocean air, and there were brilliantly colored flowers and sweet-smelling white trees everywhere that filled the air with their heavy perfume. Back home, everyone who came to market wore or carried a weapon of some kind, but here, only the soldiers did - they wore varying amounts of heavy, gleaming metal armor and elaborate helmets or headdresses, and carried heavy swords, spears and bows. A few of the wealthier men wore richer-colored garments and carried a small pocket weapon or dagger; most of the men and women flitted from booth to booth or to buildings wearing light-colored garments simply fastened or belted. Mistral and I, in fact, were much more heavily armed than any other woman I could see chatting, laughing or selling her wares.

At the other end of the street, the small market buildings gave way to permanent residences that stretched up the hill to the left, and stately government buildings to the right, which grew larger and more ornate up the right-hand road until they reached the massive temple building at the top of a large cliff. The city was bustling with people, dogs, horses or mules pulling carts, even the occasional cow or pig. Shouts and laughter bounced dizzyingly between the white buildings so I could barely hear my own thoughts.

Mistral was moving with authority through the streets and people let her pass, so I hurried to keep up with her. Once I stumbled and bumped into another young woman about my age, who gasped and jumped back, her eyes wide. "I'm so sorry, miss," she stammered. "I didn't see you coming - forgive me!"

I frowned, puzzled. "That's quite all right," I reassured her, "no need to apologize. It was my fault."

Her wide smile was very clearly relieved. "You're too kind, miss! Thank you!"

When I caught up with Mistral, I tugged her sleeve. "Mistral, who do they think we are? Why do people apologize and back away from us?"

"There is a great deal of respect for archers and other wordsmiths in this town," she replied, pausing to squint at an ornately decorated map hanging on the side of a stall. "We're wearing the clothing of the Temple Archers, so we are highly respected."

"But we're not Temple Archers," I said slowly.

She grinned over her shoulder. "Aren't we?"

I sighed and put my hands on my hips. Apparently I was now a Temple Archer - what did that mean? How was I supposed to be learning if she didn't tell me about what we were doing and where we were going? Just as I opened my mouth to ask more questions, a booming voice rattled down the hill behind us. "Mistral Uí Diarmada! My friend! You have returned at last!"

We both turned - and the biggest, brawniest man I had ever seen in my life was running toward us down the hill.

• Like 4

SKY ELVENWORD

Books in Progress:

Books Finished:

I'm really liking the turn the narrative has taken.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

38 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Me too. I really need to finish editing mine. Wonderful as always, Sky!

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm so glad! I really wanted to freshen things up a bit ... I was tired of her being stuck in the dark, damp forest all the time.  :)  I'm really excited to introduce the new characters!

1 hour ago, Rhovaniel said:

Me too. I really need to finish editing mine. Wonderful as always, Sky!

Yesssss, please do!! I miss your narratives! :D 

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD

Books in Progress:

Books Finished:

Struggling a lot with discipline, time management, and impulse control this week ... since saying I wanted to cut back on sugar, it seems a veritable deluge of berries, mangoes, sugary yogurt, cake, brownies, fruit ice cream, pumpkin coffee, sweet tea, and lemonade has descended upon me and I am made abruptly aware of the presence of the stuff in essentially everything I consume. Also my sleep schedule is messed up (even my Fitbit app gently chided me about it), I'm aggressively procrastinating on the terrifying mountain of stuff I need to be doing, and all I want to do is sit around in the beautiful, warm, sunny, breezy weather and listen to music and daydream.

I'm tired. And yet I'm sitting awake at 2:50AM swapping memes with a friend, not writing or organizing or editing.

I did get to the gym today and crushed it - I rowed for 20 minutes and more than 3000 meters! That left me too tired to do much in the way of weightlifting, but I did do 36 chest presses and 20 overhead presses with two 10-pound weights, so that was pretty good. It was such a mild, fresh evening that I danced and played my air guitar throughout most of my half-mile walk from the gym to my sister's building, so that counted for something, and I ran into some members of my university's medieval club who were practicing sparring with staffs and shields, which was quite awesome.

I'm just ... tired. I'm overcommitted and burned out, but I feel like that's not enough of an excuse - these assignments and tasks must get done whether I'm burned out or not, and procrastinating and missing meetings and so on is not helping me feel better or reach those goals.

First thing is to sleep. That's usually the first answer to most of my problems, isn't it?  :P  Sleep and Scripture - I have not been in the Word like I should, and that's the place where my strength comes from - the vial of living waters that I must carry before me as my light and my hope every day. My King, bring me rest of body and spirit tonight.

• Like 3

SKY ELVENWORD

Books in Progress:

Books Finished:

I've been there. Remember, don't try to do everything, rather do something, then get some rest. It will all sort itself out, but if you focus on the whole elephant you'll never take the one bite at a time it takes to get started. Just pick out a juicy bit and start gnawing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I've been there. Remember, don't try to do everything, rather do something, then get some rest. It will all sort itself out, but if you focus on the whole elephant you'll never take the one bite at a time it takes to get started. Just pick out a juicy bit and start gnawing.

74a9c8f229121fbbe9f74d311268a86e.gif 

• Like 3

SKY ELVENWORD

Books in Progress:

Books Finished:

I like your prescription of sleep and scripture.  Also another thing that helps me is to sit down and prioritize when I'm overwhelmed. Are there things on my list that really don't need to get done, or can be delayed? Can I delegate some of them?

Woot for an awesome workout!

• Like 1

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Much better day today ... I finally met with my professor and got some help prioritizing my task list, so everything looks much clearer and less nebulous, which is much less stressful. I also walked 6.27 miles hanging flyers around campus, and met some very interesting people along my walk; I ate reasonably well despite the hectic day; and I am going to bed "early" (1AM) so I can jump up early in the morning and get a lot done.

I got a chance to talk with some young ladies about my Christian faith this afternoon, and that was, unexpectedly, very encouraging - the main tenet of my faith is that I can do nothing to make myself good enough or pure enough to go to heaven; I must simply believe that Jesus' death fulfilled the punishment I deserved for my sinfulness, and His resurrection was the blow that broke the power of death and sin in my life, and set me free. And as I shared that with the girls, it not only encouraged them, but I encouraged myself to remember that God's love for me does not change based on how "well" I do in a day, or how much I get done, or whether I eat right - He loves me exactly the same on my bad days as on my good days. And He is not scared off by my bad days - He is big enough to carry me through those and wipe the dirt and tears off my face and help me keep going. So I shone the King's light into my own heart this afternoon and was very refreshed.

Now off to get some sleep ... I'm going back to the gym either tomorrow or Saturday, and I need to give my sore muscles some healing and recharge time before I push them to the max again.   :) 

• Like 3

SKY ELVENWORD

Books in Progress:

Books Finished:

32 minutes ago, SkyGirl said:

Now off to get some sleep ... I'm going back to the gym either tomorrow or Saturday, and I need to give my sore muscles some healing and recharge time before I push them to the max again.   :) 

This is super important. I never have a good time in the gym if I go in feeling meh. I should really work on that, but for now, making sure I'm well rested and haven't eaten too much junk in a day seems to work pretty well ;) It scares me slightly that you count going to bed at 1AM early however... 

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

2021 Quests: