I am not an insane person. A little (a lot?) weird and quirky and I'm okay with that, but I'm not straight up insane. 

So why have I been doing the same thing, and expecting different results?

This question has come to a head lately when an unusually hectic schedule was placed on top of my usual gamut of goals, and I crumbled under the pressure. Pushing oneself can be a good thing, but pushing past the brink is not. So this challenge is about taking a BIG step back, and showing myself some serious love and care. 

My schedule is still a little bit crazy, so the focus is going to be on reducing stress, showing my body and my mind that I treasure both, and having some fun.

Eat more fruits and vegetables. 

This is a great goal for the summer anyways. And I like vegetables (I can take or leave fruit - not that I don't like it, I just don't particularly care if I eat any or not). At any rate, I eat some form of vegetable at most meals, but I want to drastically increase the volume to both bolster my micronutrient intake, and hopefully crowd out less healthful choices. My goal is 10 servings of fruit and vegetables per day (1 cup leafy greens or 1/2 cup other veggies or fruit = 1 serving.)

Eat more mindfully. 

I've tried this in the past, and mostly found it tedious. But that's largely because I am utterly addicted to reading/browsing/watching TV while eating which is a terrible habit.

1. Pause before meals to contemplate the source of the food, the nutrition it will give my body and my gratefulness for it.

2. No multitasking while eating. Taste the food. Chew it. Enjoy. I am going to give myself a little leeway with breakfast, as I eat it at work, at my desk. But for Lunch and Dinner, for sure.

3. Eat outside when possible. I love the idea of bringing a blanket to work and having a mini-picnic daily. Grass between my toes, sunshine, so good. This should also help with the no screens etc while eating. 

Relieve stress

My goal is to engage in at least one form of stress relieving self-care per day, from the following options (May add to this list as time goes on. I also know exercise and walks and books and tea help with this too, but I want to go above and beyond my usual strategies).

- Meditation

- Yoga

- Painting, drawing, crafting or creative time in general

- Foam roll

- Write down things I am grateful for

- Go fishing

- Get grounded (bare feet to earth)

- Go for a nature walk. (Does not count walking the dog around the neighbourhood - although of course he can come too! Nor does the disc golf course count. Needs to be an actual forest.)

Love myself:

I am guilty of negative self talk - I try to catch it, and shut it down, but kind of like with the veggies, it's not just enough to stop with the bad stuff, it needs to be pushed out by good stuff. I am committing to a daily pep talk to myself. I'm going for a full-out every day streak with this one!

Keep up on the Gardening:
I have a tendency to be all gung-ho with this at the start of the year, and then burn out quickly. I really want to have a nice yard this year to enjoy! We've gotten a good start on things, but there are still some major projects to complete, plus the usual maintenance.

1. Amend soil in balcony bed, and get flowers planted. 

2. Make new raised bed along side of house.

3. Clean up back parking area and branch trimmings

4. Mulch under apple tree (and other beds once plants have come up).

5. Weed at least weekly!

6. Water potted plants daily.

Steps:

I am still trying to hit my 3,650,000 steps in 2017 goal. Plus walking totally counts as self-care :) 

Aiming for 77,000 steps per week. 

And that's it. I will definitely be on here celebrating all the activity I do, but I'm not making myself a workout or a biking goal. I just want to be healthy and happy, and I am pretty confident that this is the way to do it. I know these goals are a little nebulous, but I need a break from the structure of SMARTness.

I am also hoping that this will help me finally shift towards a focus on health, rather than the ever looming spectre that is my weight. I can't just not care about it... but maybe I can channel a more productive and kinder attitude towards my body, and come to reach my goals from that direction. 

• Like 12

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

FIRST!!!!

Hehe... 

LOVE the theme here. Self love and caring is very important. Something that I also struggle with at times. 

Looks like you have some pretty good goals going on this challenge. Looking forward to seeing how this develops! 

• Like 1

Heroine of Time

Height: 5'8  Weight: 315lbs

Current Challenge: RhiaWolfe Follows the Way of the Samurai

Previous Challenges: 1234567891011121314151617181920212223

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

"Hyaaaat! Jeeyat-Hiyaaaah Hiet! Hyaaaaaaa Hiyyyyet! Hiyaaaaat Hiyaaaa!" - Link

Fitbit Profile * Good Reads

7 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

And I like vegetables (I can take or leave fruit - not that I don't like it, I just don't particularly care if I eat any or not).

I'm exactly the opposite. I have difficulty eating enough vegetables. I prefer fruit. 

8 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

Eat more mindfully. 

I've tried this in the past, and mostly found it tedious. But that's largely because I am utterly addicted to reading/browsing/watching TV while eating which is a terrible habit.

1. Pause before meals to contemplate the source of the food, the nutrition it will give my body and my gratefulness for it.

2. No multitasking while eating. Taste the food. Chew it. Enjoy. I am going to give myself a little leeway with breakfast, as I eat it at work, at my desk. But for Lunch and Dinner, for sure.

3. Eat outside when possible. I love the idea of bringing a blanket to work and having a mini-picnic daily. Grass between my toes, sunshine, so good. This should also help with the no screens etc while eating. 

I have trouble with this one too, so I feel you here. Especially with those of us with crazy busy schedules, because when else can we watch our favorite tv show? Multitasking FTW! Right? Wait... no... that's not right... lol. 

Eating outside sounds like an awesome motivator. I try to go for a walk outside when it's nice out during my breaks. 

10 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

Relieve stress

My goal is to engage in at least one form of stress relieving self-care per day, from the following options (May add to this list as time goes on. I also know exercise and walks and books and tea help with this too, but I want to go above and beyond my usual strategies).

- Meditation

- Yoga

- Painting, drawing, crafting or creative time in general

- Foam roll

- Write down things I am grateful for

- Go fishing

- Get grounded (bare feet to earth)

- Go for a nature walk. (Does not count walking the dog around the neighbourhood - although of course he can come too! Nor does the disc golf course count. Needs to be an actual forest.)

Good ideas! I wish we had more areas around where I live where I could go on a nature walk. Just getting outside is awesome though. 

11 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

Love myself:

I am guilty of negative self talk - I try to catch it, and shut it down, but kind of like with the veggies, it's not just enough to stop with the bad stuff, it needs to be pushed out by good stuff. I am committing to a daily pep talk to myself. I'm going for a full-out every day streak with this one!

Self love is important. That silly dark voice in your head that says so many bad things about you... that voice needs to take a hike. It's really hard, especially when you don't realize what you're doing. It creeps up on us.... Keep on bringing the love!

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Heroine of Time

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

55 minutes ago, RhiaWolfe said:

I'm exactly the opposite. I have difficulty eating enough vegetables. I prefer fruit. 

I have trouble with this one too, so I feel you here. Especially with those of us with crazy busy schedules, because when else can we watch our favorite tv show? Multitasking FTW! Right? Wait... no... that's not right... lol. 

Eating outside sounds like an awesome motivator. I try to go for a walk outside when it's nice out during my breaks. 

Good ideas! I wish we had more areas around where I live where I could go on a nature walk. Just getting outside is awesome though. 

Self love is important. That silly dark voice in your head that says so many bad things about you... that voice needs to take a hike. It's really hard, especially when you don't realize what you're doing. It creeps up on us.... Keep on bringing the love!

giphy.gif

First off, this is the cutest gif I've ever seen in my life. For realreal.

I'm really lucky, in that there is an extensive trail system in my city, mostly through the river valley, but it branches off all over. It's possible to forget that you're even in a city through some parts of it. I love it.

Multitasking is the worst. No one is good at it, and it is bad for you. I'm officially campaigning for the end to its glorification!

• Like 2

Level 20

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

Ooh, and I forgot to mention that this challenge will be wrapping up with an awesome vacation (cabin the woods) with my hubby and puppers! It will be the ultimate reward and mega stress relief, I can't wait! 

Image result for kootenay huts

RIGHT?!

I have also decided that I need a sushi mini goal. 20 day streak of both Stress Relief and Positive Self Talk goals = SUSHI! Yumyumyumyum. 

• Like 10

Level 20

Following along again for self-love.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Love the  challenge. Yay for summer, fresh veggies, walking barefoot and picnics.

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Following along again for self-love.

Control yourself, pastor!

Love the goals!

So then, what is today's Positive Self Talk (if you don't mind sharing)?

It's pretty corny stuff, to be true. Today's was something along the lines of: " You are good. You've got this. Life is good. You've got this. You gave your body such nourishing food today - thank you!"

It'll be interesting to see how it evolves.

Love the  challenge. Yay for summer, fresh veggies, walking barefoot and picnics.

Doesn't just saying that make you believe a little more in the goodness of the world?

There's not much that makes me giggle, but that term does every single time.

You'll notice I've been very careful to use the term self care, or talk about how I love myself. Although self love could go on the stress-buster list!

• Like 7

Level 20

2 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

It's pretty corny stuff, to be true. Today's was something along the lines of: " You are good. You've got this. Life is good. You've got this. You gave your body such nourishing food today - thank you!"

It'll be interesting to see how it evolves.

I don't think it's corny. All of that is really important stuff to remember. Seriously, here's how it reads to me:

I'm good = I am fed, I am clothed, I have a safe place to sleep at night. These are the basis of a life I can spend making a difference in the world.

I've got this = I'm smart, I'm strong, I'm capable in every way. No matter what happens, I know I can handle it.

Life is good = I'm thankful. I'm aware how good my life is, and I'm enjoying it.

The last one speaks for itself. :P I'm happy to see you giving yourself such positive, empowering feedback. It's more important than most people realize. "Two wolves" and all. Keep it up! :D 

• Like 4

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

Week Zero Day whatever

I got lots of veggies and a little fruit in today!

Breakfast: quinoa salad with feta, tons of roasted veggies, Ave raw spinach and cilantro (3 servings)

Snack: strawberries and walnuts (1 serving)

Lunch: Cabbage/carrot/pepper slaw with shrimp and peanut sauce (3 servings)

Dinner: Turkey and veggie hash (sweet potato, Bell pepper, red onion, spinach and cilantro) (2 servings)

I will bring some strawberries or carrot sticks or something to class tonight with me for the final serving.

I also tried to eat my lunch and dinner mindfully. It was super hard. I did manage to avoid screens/reading, but still my mind would wander and I would pick up the pace (I tend to eat much too fast). As soon as I brought my mind back to what I was eating, I automatically slowed down. I also thought about the nutrition in the meal I was enjoying, and tried to remember to chew well.

And dinner was eaten outside! It's so lovely out right now.

I also did my meditation and positive self talk outside after dinner. Our Apple tree is just shedding its blossoms and the flurry of white petals and the smell are just so gorgeous. It made me feel very calm and content.

The plants don't need watering, but I checked​ on them all. And I came home to find that hubby had taken care of item 3 on my gardening list! (Cleaned up the back parking pad and got rid of all the tree trimmings)

Steps are low today, but I still have time to make it up :)

• Like 4

Level 20

I don't think it's corny. All of that is really important stuff to remember. Seriously, here's how it reads to me:

I'm good = I am fed, I am clothed, I have a safe place to sleep at night. These are the basis of a life I can spend making a difference in the world.

I've got this = I'm smart, I'm strong, I'm capable in every way. No matter what happens, I know I can handle it.

Life is good = I'm thankful. I'm aware how good my life is, and I'm enjoying it.

The last one speaks for itself. [emoji14] I'm happy to see you giving yourself such positive, empowering feedback. It's more important than most people realize. "Two wolves" and all. Keep it up! [emoji3] 

Thank you! I have to admit I may have teared up a little at your response. Can you tell all this stuff is super needed for me right now?

• Like 1

Level 20

2 hours ago, Evicious said:

The last one speaks for itself. :P I'm happy to see you giving yourself such positive, empowering feedback. It's more important than most people realize. "Two wolves" and all. Keep it up! :D 

Evicious, what's the "Two wolves" reference? I have a feeling that it's something super cool that I just haven't heard of.

Fonzico, I LOVE your sushi challenge :-)

You sound like you are in a similar mind state to me right now. Need to maintain some internal peace and happiness. Visit miserable yoga if you have time (throwing the link to the PvP up in case anyone else is curious). Laughing at ourselves is good stress relief too.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Evicious, what's the "Two wolves" reference? I have a feeling that it's something super cool that I just haven't heard of.

Fonzico, I LOVE your sushi challenge :-)

You sound like you are in a similar mind state to me right now. Need to maintain some internal peace and happiness. Visit miserable yoga if you have time (throwing the link to the PvP up in case anyone else is curious). Laughing at ourselves is good stress relief too.

Hehe I forgot to credit you for inspiration in the sushi goal. It is a beautiful idea!

My favorite version of the two wolves thing comes from zenpencils:

2012-11-27-twowolvesnew.jpg

• Like 5

Level 20

Following as always - and doesn't biking to work count towards your step goal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Level 75 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

17 hours ago, Fonzico said:

First off, this is the cutest gif I've ever seen in my life. For realreal.

I'm really lucky, in that there is an extensive trail system in my city, mostly through the river valley, but it branches off all over. It's possible to forget that you're even in a city through some parts of it. I love it.

Multitasking is the worst. No one is good at it, and it is bad for you. I'm officially campaigning for the end to its glorification!

IKR? I thought it was super adorable! Had to share. 

I'm envious of your trail system. We dont' have too much here. There are a few nice parks to walk around, but none of them are near me. I live on the poor side of town. lol

I'm bad about the multi-tasking thing... I'm going to save that for another challenge though. 

13 hours ago, Evicious said:

^^^^^This. All of this. 

Keep it up Fonzico! You're doing awesome! You are accomplishing so much. Yay for cabin in the woods and sushi!

• Like 3

Heroine of Time

Following as always - and doesn't biking to work count towards your step goal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I wear my Fitbit while I bike, so it does track "steps" but it's not a ton.

Love Zenpencils! [emoji5] 

Such good stuff!

^^^^^This. All of this. 

Keep it up Fonzico! You're doing awesome! You are accomplishing so much. Yay for cabin in the woods and sushi!

Aww, thank you!

Level 20

Well I managed 9944 steps yesterday - just short!

I also more than met my fruit and veggie goal - I brought strawberries and almonds​ to class as a snack, and then had more​ strawberries with club soda plus braised cabbage (and sausage) when I got home.

Lots of veggies is a beautiful thing, but it ended up pretty low cal, hence second dinner. I'll figure out the balance though!

I've managed a mindful lunch so far today (not outside - it's raining buckets out there!), and told myself what a badass warrior I am this morning (promptly followed by rocking out to an internal rendition of "ain't nothing gonna hold me down").

It's bound to still be storming this evening, so delicious food, couch cuddles and maybe some yoga?? is all that's on the books tonight :)

• Like 4

Level 20

Following! And jealous of your vacation at the cabin in the woods. You wouldn't believe how much I miss actual forests.

For stress relief, one thing that helps me a lot is having clean space. Even if it's just one room in the house that gets cleaned I feel much calmer. While cleaning sucks you might feel better for it if you're anything like me

• Like 4

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

Following! And jealous of your vacation at the cabin in the woods. You wouldn't believe how much I miss actual forests.

For stress relief, one thing that helps me a lot is having clean space. Even if it's just one room in the house that gets cleaned I feel much calmer. While cleaning sucks you might feel better for it if you're anything like me

Oooh, you're so right on the cleaning thing, it helps so much! I have been making a real effort to clean up the kitchen before bed because it makes me feel so much better in the morning, but the living room is where I spend most of my time, and it's almost always got a low-mid level of clutter going on. And now that I'm thinking about it, I need to clean it right now. Oh dear lol. But it will make the rest of my evening so much more relaxing.

I never feel as calm and centred as I do in a forest. We lived in a really arid region for 4 years, and I swear that lack of forest was a significant contributing factor in my suboptimal mental health while we were there.

• Like 3

Level 20

14 hours ago, Maigahane said:

I find cleaning to be rather theraputic... even the act itself. It's like going to the gym for me. First, I'm like "I don't wanna" but once I start I don't want to stop. I used to warn my roommates when I was going on a cleaning spree and she would shut herself in her bedroom and not get in my way. Just gradually seeing things get cleaner and organizing stuff... I dunno... I just like it. 

1345060885082_1956155.png

• Like 3

Heroine of Time

This is a great challenge :) also - super uber jealous of your cabin in the woods!

• Like 1

Feminist Ranger (she/her)

Based in Melbourne, Australia

Current Challenge: Emerald Eagle refills her cup (January 2021)
Instagram: @emeraldeaglenf

“I wish you would thrash him. He deserves it." She looked back at him. "I will one day, sir. I'm getting tired of falling down.” - Alanna: The First Adventure