Sounds like a lot of hard work! It also absolutely sounds like you were smart to lay off the manual labor after you started feeling sub-par (see what I did there??). And you are a huge hero for getting gas and food. How much would it have sucked for you all to be looking for food and dealing with getting gas when you were tired and hot and cranky?

• Like 4

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

2 hours ago, Fonzico said:

I don't exactly handle heat well in the best of circumstances, but add hard manual labor to that and around hole seven I was starting to feel warning signs of heat exhaustion. I felt like such a wiener having to bow out (although afterwards hubby pointed out that the other guy showed up a couple hours after we did, so he didn't last any longer than I did. And no one else was pushing a mower)

So I drove into the nearby town, and stocked up on food, water and gas. And bought everyone ice cream treats to win their love emoji14.png

Eish I know exactly how much hard work pushing a lawnmower is! Well done, that was a lot of hard work. Now please come and explain to Brandt and the boys to give me ice cream after I've finished my gardening. :P

• Like 3

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

What the heck, I swear I posted an update for Sunday! Where did it go?

Not that much happened. I made my step goal, ate mindfully (and outside!) and affirmated myself.

Other than that it was pretty much recovery from Saturday!

Week One Monday:

Veggies: like 9/10! Getting closer

Mindfulness: 1/2 everything I ate after getting home from work was so very NOT mindful. It was not good.

Steps: 10,300

and I biked to work

Stress relief: yep! 3 for 1! I mediated, in a forest, with bare feet. Until I glanced down and saw a big ol' spider crawling into my shoe! Then I was out of there!

Positive self talk: got it!

So even with my new focus food wise, I'm having the same issue with evening eating as before :/ and my weight is creeping up, and I'm really not happy about that. I really need to focus on adding that big plate of vegetables to dinner. And cut out the snacking...

We have also agreed to drastically slash our alcohol budget, since it's such low hanging fruit in terms of saving money. So while I've been drinking more that usual in the last little bit, that is about to stop - hopefully that helps.

• Like 4

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

On 5/26/2017 at 8:44 PM, Xena said:

I curious if any one else does this:

I tried roasting cauliflower a bunch of times but never liked the way it came out. It would get kind of dried out tasting and still be hard. I started steaming it for a couple minutes and then roasting at 400ish (depending on what else I'm cooking. I like it about a million times better. It's a little soft but still has that nice roasted outside. Anyone else with me on this?

Hmm... I haven't tried this either. Might have to. 

On 5/27/2017 at 8:23 AM, Maigahane said:

Roasting Veggies: I use cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, and/or petite baby carrots (the really tiny ones, otherwise they undercook), put them in a big bowl and toss with olive oil, garlic, salt, and whatever herbs strike me (rosemary, basil, oregano, etc) and let it sit in the fridge for an hour or two (honestly, not sure why, this is just how my mom does it). Then I spread them out on a cookie sheet in a single layer and bake at ~450F until the edges just start browning. Then I attack them with a fork because it's freaking delicious. I don't even like brussel sprouts but they're amazing like this

Sounds like a good way to do it! I might have to try it this way!

On 5/27/2017 at 10:30 AM, Fonzico said:

Stress relief: the hubs and puppers came to join me on my lunch break, and we went for a nice long walk in the forest!

Affirmation: How lucky and loved I am to have such a great husband!

Awwwww... love this. ^_^

On 5/27/2017 at 10:30 AM, Fonzico said:

Steps: 18,000!!? Bike to work, walk at lunch, then full round of disc golf equals so many steps!

On 5/28/2017 at 11:56 AM, Fonzico said:

I got over 19,000 steps though!

ALL THE STEPS!!!!! 

• Like 2

Heroine of Time

Height: 5'8  Weight: 315lbs

Current Challenge: RhiaWolfe Follows the Way of the Samurai

Previous Challenges: 1234567891011121314151617181920212223

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

"Hyaaaat! Jeeyat-Hiyaaaah Hiet! Hyaaaaaaa Hiyyyyet! Hiyaaaaat Hiyaaaa!" - Link

Fitbit Profile * Good Reads

On 5/28/2017 at 1:15 PM, Xena said:

Sounds like a lot of hard work! It also absolutely sounds like you were smart to lay off the manual labor after you started feeling sub-par (see what I did there??). And you are a huge hero for getting gas and food. How much would it have sucked for you all to be looking for food and dealing with getting gas when you were tired and hot and cranky?

^^^^^^^^^^^^

9 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

Stress relief: yep! 3 for 1! I mediated, in a forest, with bare feet. Until I glanced down and saw a big ol' spider crawling into my shoe! Then I was out of there!

f8d.jpg

• Like 3

Heroine of Time

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

40 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

So even with my new focus food wise, I'm having the same issue with evening eating as before :/ and my weight is creeping up, and I'm really not happy about that. I really need to focus on adding that big plate of vegetables to dinner. And cut out the snacking...

We have also agreed to drastically slash our alcohol budget, since it's such low hanging fruit in terms of saving money. So while I've been drinking more that usual in the last little bit, that is about to stop - hopefully that helps.

Why are you snacking? I ask, because answering this question is what helps me keep it under control.

Spoiler

9 times out of 10, my answer is because I'm bored at work. So I've been trying to doodle (as you've seen) or walk outside for 5 minutes instead.
The other 1% is because it's close to meal time, and I'm impatient to eat. My solution to that has been to drink water or flavored seltzer instead - but it is so much harder to resist when I'm surrounded by delicious smells of the upcoming meal!

Hurray for cutting back on drinking! You will save soooooo much money - seriously! Take a moment (when you get one) to do a little math - price of alcohol x amount you usually purchase x number of times in a month you buy it = how much money you are saving. You can use that same formula, but substitute in the amount of calories instead of price, and divide by 3,500 to see how many pounds of fat you could cut out in a month (assuming you don't change you current number of average calories in any other way). Write those numbers down somewhere prominent, and every time you purchase alcohol or have a drink, you subtract from them for your new total.

For example:

Spoiler

1x 12-pack 12oz Coors Light = $10.49

If I purchase a 12-pack once a week for a month, that's $10.49 x 4 = $41.96

1x 12oz bottle of Coors Light = 102 calories (kcal)

If I have 2 beers 6 days a week, that's (102 kcal x 2 =) 204 kcal x 6 = 1224 kcal per week

If I have 2 beers 6 days a week for a month, that's 1224 kcal x 4 = 4,896 kcal total (approximately >1.5 Lbs)

So the numbers I would write down in this hypothetical situation are $41.96 and 4,896 kcal.

Every 12oz bottle of Coors Light consumed would cost me $0.90 and 102 kcals.

Isn't it amazing how innocent those numbers look? Less than a dollar a drink, and about as many kcal as an apple... that's not so bad! But they are sneaky little buggers because they seem so innocuous. It's easy to justify an extra $0.90 and102 kcal a day. But when you do the math, you see the actual cost: over $40 extra and almost 1.5 Lbs every month!!! Do that for a year straight, and you end up spending $503.52 and weighing an extra 15.5 Lbs!

• Like 4

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

39 minutes ago, Evicious said:

Why are you snacking? I ask, because answering this question is what helps me keep it under control.

Reveal hidden contents

9 times out of 10, my answer is because I'm bored at work. So I've been trying to doodle (as you've seen) or walk outside for 5 minutes instead.
The other 1% is because it's close to meal time, and I'm impatient to eat. My solution to that has been to drink water or flavored seltzer instead - but it is so much harder to resist when I'm surrounded by delicious smells of the upcoming meal!

Hurray for cutting back on drinking! You will save soooooo much money - seriously! Take a moment (when you get one) to do a little math - price of alcohol x amount you usually purchase x number of times in a month you buy it = how much money you are saving. You can use that same formula, but substitute in the amount of calories instead of price, and divide by 3,500 to see how many pounds of fat you could cut out in a month (assuming you don't change you current number of average calories in any other way). Write those numbers down somewhere prominent, and every time you purchase alcohol or have a drink, you subtract from them for your new total.

For example:

Reveal hidden contents

If I have 2 beers 6 days a week, that's (102 kcal x 2 =) 204 kcal x 6 = 1224 kcal per week

If I have 2 beers 6 days a week for a month, that's 1224 kcal x 4 = 4,896 kcal total (approximately >1.5 Lbs)

So the numbers I would write down in this hypothetical situation are $41.96 and 4,896 kcal.

Isn't it amazing how innocent those numbers look? Less than a dollar a drink, and about as many kcal as an apple... that's not so bad! But they are sneaky little buggers because they seem so innocuous. It's easy to justify an extra $0.90 and102 kcal a day. But when you do the math, you see the actual cost: over $40 extra and almost 1.5 Lbs every month!!! Do that for a year straight, and you end up spending $503.52 and weighing an extra 15.5 Lbs!

Hmm... interesting way to look at things. I know I've done the money thing with eating out:

$15/meal x 8 times/week (once a day, sometimes twice a day) = $120/Week

$120 x 4 weeks = $480/month?! Yeah, I save a ton of money not going out to eat like I used to. Sometimes my meals would range from $5 breakfast to $10-$25 for lunch or dinner. Not to mention the calories I'm not eating. 

• Like 3

Heroine of Time

3 hours ago, Evicious said:

Reveal hidden contents

For example:

Reveal hidden contents

Re; snacking: It's two things. One is like you, I get hungry waiting for dinner to cook! Seltzer is a good idea - and one I know I should use! I like it, I pretty much always have some on hand, and it helps. The other is mindless munching after dinner. This mostly seems to be a deeply ingrained habit that my mind instantly is obsessed with what I could be snacking on. Eating healthy snacks doesn't help - I finish those, then move on to something else. This is when binging sometimes takes over. Or I have a drink or two, which is both unnecessary calories, plus encourages even more snacking! I think I need to find some better distractions in the evening.

I like your alcohol calculator! While my intake varies quite a bit, this is probably a reasonable average.

2 Caesars/wk ~ $2 each = $4

~200KCal = ~400KCal * 4 = 1600KCal

1 Bottle of Wine per month ~ $13

~ 600KCal

2 cans of beer/wk ~ $2.5each = $5

~150KCal = 300Kcal * 4 = 1200KCal

So I'm spending about $49 a month on alcohol, and taking in about 3400Kcal! That's about 1lb per month. 

The plan for June is to bring that down to $30. Let's see how it goes! (must admit that I still have 1/2 bottle of gin and a bottle of wine in my cupboard... technically that's about $30 worth.)

• Like 3

Level 20

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

3 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

The other is mindless munching after dinner. This mostly seems to be a deeply ingrained habit that my mind instantly is obsessed with what I could be snacking on. Eating healthy snacks doesn't help - I finish those, then move on to something else. This is when binging sometimes takes over. Or I have a drink or two, which is both unnecessary calories, plus encourages even more snacking! I think I need to find some better distractions in the evening.

So I'm spending about $49 a month on alcohol, and taking in about 3400Kcal! That's about 1lb per month. 

The plan for June is to bring that down to $30. Let's see how it goes! (must admit that I still have 1/2 bottle of gin and a bottle of wine in my cupboard... technically that's about $30 worth.)

I feel ya! Old habits are like Elder Dragons: they die hard. But you mentioned that you "move on to something else"... so my thinking is, is there a way for you to simply not have "something else" available? Or at least, to only have healthy snacks available - the low calorie kind, like raw veggies and fruit, or plain popcorn? My snacking has lessened considerably since I cleaned out my cupboards from all the tasty-unhealthy snacky-snacks. Aside from keeping some plain chips around for salsa (my hubby's go-to snack), all I keep on hand now are cherry tomatoes, carrots, celery, hardboiled eggs, and apples - and it is amazing how unappealing those sound when I'm full from dinner but still wanting something to munch on. I usually end up deciding to have a cup of tea instead. :P 

$30 for June sounds like an excellent plan to me! I'll try to make a point of asking how much money you have "left" at least once a week, if that will help keep you motivated.

• Like 2

Keep up the momentum!

If I just have to have a snack after dinner I usually make some stove top popcorn and sprinkle a little bit of this on it: 

b0221c91-876e-4270-a456-016e7b17a524_2.f

For me that really helps my cravings, and as long as I don't go overboard, it's pretty low in calories. Other than that I snack on fruit and vegetables most of the time. 

• Like 4

Heroine of Time

I feel ya! Old habits are like Elder Dragons: they die hard. But you mentioned that you "move on to something else"... so my thinking is, is there a way for you to simply not have "something else" available? Or at least, to only have healthy snacks available - the low calorie kind, like raw veggies and fruit, or plain popcorn? My snacking has lessened considerably since I cleaned out my cupboards from all the tasty-unhealthy snacky-snacks. Aside from keeping some plain chips around for salsa (my hubby's go-to snack), all I keep on hand now are cherry tomatoes, carrots, celery, hardboiled eggs, and apples - and it is amazing how unappealing those sound when I'm full from dinner but still wanting something to munch on. I usually end up deciding to have a cup of tea instead. [emoji14] 

$30 for June sounds like an excellent plan to me! I'll try to make a point of asking how much money you have "left" at least once a week, if that will help keep you motivated.

My hubby is a snack hoarder - I try to keep it out of sight, but there's only so much to be done on that count. I think I need to work on being aware of what I'm doing and actively campaign against it - I don't need more food, so even eating healthy stuff is only a partial success. I need to break the mental association between hanging out in my living room, and snacking.

I am so abusing our voxer chat, to this effect!

I will definitely keep tabs on the alcohol stuff and post updates! Thanks for checking in :D

• Like 5

Level 20

6 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

My hubby is a snack hoarder - I try to keep it out of sight, but there's only so much to be done on that count. I think I need to work on being aware of what I'm doing and actively campaign against it - I don't need more food, so even eating healthy stuff is only a partial success. I need to break the mental association between hanging out in my living room, and snacking.

I am so abusing our voxer chat, to this effect!

I will definitely keep tabs on the alcohol stuff and post updates! Thanks for checking in :D

Do it!!! :D 

Keep up the momentum!

4 hours ago, Fonzico said:

I struggle with both of these issues, except I associate gaming with snacking. So not only am I trying to eat more during my meals to avoid wanting to snack I'm also trying to buy snacks for Hubs that I don't like.

• Like 3

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

I was very used to snacking while I was in school, in between lectures. I don't know if I had a drop in my metabolism after I graduated, or if the extremely high level of anxiety I lived with kept my metabolism through the roof, but I have had to learn that I can't continue my usual mid-morning snack and realistically meet my reduced caloric intake. It's not that the snacks were not healthy items (fruit, yogurt, nuts) but its just too many calories.

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Return to the Grove

Dryad | Beastmaster Ranger | Licensed Cat Cuddler

2021 Goals: Hour walk without pain | Freestanding headstand | more tbd
Goodreads

I struggle with both of these issues, except I associate gaming with snacking. So not only am I trying to eat more during my meals to avoid wanting to snack I'm also trying to buy snacks for Hubs that I don't like.

I do try to do this sometimes, but I should make a better effort. Pretzels would be good, I can't be bothered for those!

I was very used to snacking while I was in school, in between lectures. I don't know if I had a drop in my metabolism after I graduated, or if the extremely high level of anxiety I lived with kept my metabolism through the roof, but I have had to learn that I can't continue my usual mid-morning snack and realistically meet my reduced caloric intake. It's not that the snacks were not healthy items (fruit, yogurt, nuts) but its just too many calories.

Yes exactly. Part of the issue is unhealthy snacks, but subbing in healthy ones doesn't change the fact that it's just too much food.

• Like 5

Level 20

10 hours ago, Maigahane said:

I'm lucky (?) in the sense that hubby asked me not to buy him snacks any more, except if I buy chips (crisps), which I said, no way. But I find with the boys that they turn "healthy" snacks (yoghurt, fresh carrot, cucumber, nuts, fruit, biltong, dry wors, etc.) into a meal by itself, purely because they eat, and eat, and eat. So I started buying just enough for maybe once, or with the yoghurt I bought the tub, put it into those ice lolly cups, and told them one each per day! If it's finished, it's finished. Tough luck. And of course I have to keep to this myself *sigh* lead by example. I'm also trying to make breakfast and dinner bigger, with lunch small, hopefully with no snacks, or only one. We'll see how that works out.

• Like 3

My distraction from snack obsession: crafting (especially knitting), phone games, and menu planning / recipe researching while watching tv at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Level 75 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Week One Tuesday:

Veggies: 8/10

Mindfulness: nope. Eating at my desk and in front of the TV is not conducive to this goal...

Stress relief: oh yeah! I grabbed my towel from my locker, spread out on the grass, and sun bathed on my lunch break. With my bare toes in the grass. It was amazing.

Affirmations: yep, had a good talk with myself about how my weight does not define my self worth.

Steps: 9000 ish? Pretty good for an ASL class day.

I'm going to bike to work today!

• Like 7

Level 20

My distraction from snack obsession: crafting (especially knitting), phone games, and menu planning / recipe researching while watching tv at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would be impressed with what I can manage to do while eating [emoji14]

Well, not knitting. I really should get back into crochet!

I want to try removing myself from my usual environ and see if that helps. Our front deck is really nice this time of year...

• Like 4

Level 20

11 hours ago, Fonzico said:

Yes exactly. Part of the issue is unhealthy snacks, but subbing in healthy ones doesn't change the fact that it's just too much food.

I wish I could get my husband to understand this. He seems to think that as long as you're eating healthy foods you won't gain weight. Ugh. 

On the snacking thing, my husband sometimes buys unhealthy snacks, but he's not a huge snacker, so that's a plus on my side. He DOES buy ice cream, but he eats most of it pretty quickly and I often feel bad eating his stuff. He and I have separate bank accounts, so whatever I buy is mine and what he buys is his. That really helps me keep to my goals. 

Not to mention that my husband tends to eat out a lot, so not a lot of bad food in the house. 

I'm trying to help him as much as possible, but he's a stubborn mule that things he knows everything. It's frustrating sometimes. 

• Like 3

Heroine of Time

2 minutes ago, RhiaWolfe said:

I wish I could get my husband to understand this. He seems to think that as long as you're eating healthy foods you won't gain weight. Ugh. 

I'm trying to help him as much as possible, but he's a stubborn mule that things he knows everything. It's frustrating sometimes. 

Mine has the exact same mentality, and there is no convincing him otherwise. I blame the patriarchy. :P  When he gets too annoying, I just remind him he's going to die first anyway (according to statistics), so 1. He ought to spend his time doing things he enjoys rather than arguing pointlessly, and 2. He's going to die from stubbornness in some capacity, so it doesn't matter if he dies from being wrong about diet, exercise, or whether or not the light really was still green when he ran it.

• Like 4

Keep up the momentum!

3 hours ago, Fonzico said:

Well, not knitting. I really should get back into crochet!

I want to try removing myself from my usual environ and see if that helps. Our front deck is really nice this time of year..

Two good ideas :) and photos of your end product for us on the first.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

On the snacking thing, my husband sometimes buys unhealthy snacks, but he's not a huge snacker, so that's a plus on my side. He DOES buy ice cream, but he eats most of it pretty quickly and I often feel bad eating his stuff. He and I have separate bank accounts, so whatever I buy is mine and what he buys is his. That really helps me keep to my goals.

My hubby buys snacks, etc. at work, under the guise that it is healthy (like a bran or carrot muffin), or sometimes buys food with his colleagues (like yummy Indian curry! which I then get a share of luckily), but nowadays he then eats his lunch at dinner time, and dinner goes into his lunch box for the next day. Usually he ate everything on one day, so in a way he is eating less, and cut a lot on snacks at the office. My biggest problem is going to town with the boys (8 and 10yrs). They are allowed one variance for the week (youngest has a weight problem), then it becomes very difficult for me to say no at times, especially when they start describing how something (like a cream doughnut) looks and smells, and maybe tastes... They are mischievous at the best/worst of times.

• Like 3

Yay for stress relief, and veggies! I like the self-positive talk goal too :)
Image result for you are awesome gif
You can beat those evening munchies! My cravings get so bad that I will ignore all of the healthy stuff in the house and go buy junk food >_< but having SO around helps because I'm too embarrassed to eat piles and piles of carbs in front of him.

ETA: Grrrrr, your thread title has the Bieber song stuck in my head now!
  • Like 2

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

8 hours ago, Evicious said:

Mine has the exact same mentality, and there is no convincing him otherwise. I blame the patriarchy. :P  When he gets too annoying, I just remind him he's going to die first anyway (according to statistics), so 1. He ought to spend his time doing things he enjoys rather than arguing pointlessly, and 2. He's going to die from stubbornness in some capacity, so it doesn't matter if he dies from being wrong about diet, exercise, or whether or not the light really was still green when he ran it.

^^This made me lol

lol laughing laugh haha hahaha GIF

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Return to the Grove

Dryad | Beastmaster Ranger | Licensed Cat Cuddler

2021 Goals: Hour walk without pain | Freestanding headstand | more tbd
Goodreads