• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Maigahane

Maigahane Battles the Snacking Demon

Well, I didn't die last challenge so now I'm back to fight a new old battle. I've stagnated on my weight loss for the last 6 months and a big problem is because I snack too much. Sweets, peanut butter, chips, plain pieces of bread, crackers, etc. They're not helpful calories and not doing me any good. Overall my actual meals are good except my breakfasts and lunches have probably been too light which is probably why I've been snacking.

Goals:

Food - Log all of my food, even if I don't log calories. Eat enough healthy foods at breakfast and lunch that I don't feel the need to snack and DO NOT snack on unhealthy foods just because I'm bored

Strength - Do strength training 3x/week. Right now the goal is to continue with the StrongLifts program modified to work with my free gym's equipment but I reserve the right to change :)

Cardio - Some form of cardio 3x/week. I've been doing C25k again and will probably try to stick with it

Side Quest - I'm So.Damn.Close to reaching the goal weight I set for myself when I first started this journey almost 5 years ago. Over the last 6 months I've been ranging from 3-8lbs of that goal and at one point was 1.5lbs away. I still have more fat to lose beyond this goal but it's such a huge milestone for me and I just really want to see that damn number on the scale. I'll have to think of some major reward for when I finally see 15X on the scale to help motivate me to get there

Secondary Side Quest - Quit caffeine. I've been cutting back on caffeine this year. I learned at the beginning of the year that it's probably contributing to dizzy spells I have and then I had a few depression/anxiety episodes that correlated to days I had more caffeine than normal. While I don't know what caused what I decided to not risk it and just cut it out. I've gone from drinking four 120mg doses a day to one and at some point during this challenge I will cut out that last one. I'm not quite sure when yet but I'm thinking the weekend after Memorial Day

Things happening this challenge:

We're travel back to hometown to see family over Memorial Day weekend. I'm getting better at not eating badly on these trips but it still needs improvement. It's also really hard for me to do any sort of exercising while we're gone.

Hubs and I will be celebrating our 13th anniversary. We probably won't do anything big (no plans to travel anywhere) but I foresee a dinner out with dessert

My favorite mudrun is the last day of this challenge, well technically the day after this challenge ends since this one has funny dates. It's only a 5k and I've done it twice now so I'm not nervous about it, just excited

• Like 10

Great looking challenge. ^_^ I feel ya on the side quests: I still struggle with both my own self. We'll get there! We just have to keep doing the things we know to do, and we'll get there.

Maybe while you're visiting family you could make a point of going for a daily 15 minute walk, rather than trying to stick to your regular workout? It's the most low-key thing I can think of that wouldn't interfere significantly with the priority of visitation. Even if your family member(s) can't/don't join you, you're still only "away" for 15 minutes. I don't know about you, but I've had poos that lasted longer than that. If people can tolerate a stinky bathroom (and they have to, because you're faaaaamilyyyy, muahahahaha!) they can tolerate you taking a brisk step outside. Or so I imagine - everyone's family is different. Mine would prefer I'd just go for a walk, I know that much.

• Like 3

Following!

I already beat the snack demon, brought him home as a prisoner, felt bad and let him sit on the couch with me and watch TV.  This can't possibly end badly.

• Like 5

Following!

I find I snack badly when I don't prep my food. Like yesterday, I had ran out of yogurt and fruit and and ended up eating the office cookies instead. I always thought peanut butter was a good snack. I know that the ones that are full of added sugar aren't great, but pure nut butters aren't that bad are they?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Evicious said:

Great looking challenge. ^_^ I feel ya on the side quests: I still struggle with both my own self. We'll get there! We just have to keep doing the things we know to do, and we'll get there.

Maybe while you're visiting family you could make a point of going for a daily 15 minute walk, rather than trying to stick to your regular workout? It's the most low-key thing I can think of that wouldn't interfere significantly with the priority of visitation. Even if your family member(s) can't/don't join you, you're still only "away" for 15 minutes. I don't know about you, but I've had poos that lasted longer than that. If people can tolerate a stinky bathroom (and they have to, because you're faaaaamilyyyy, muahahahaha!) they can tolerate you taking a brisk step outside. Or so I imagine - everyone's family is different. Mine would prefer I'd just go for a walk, I know that much.

Family wouldn't really have a problem if I disappeared for 30 minutes to go for a run but since they're 10 hours away we only get to see them four times a year so I want to stick around and talk. This is hometown for both of us too so we have to see both families and all of our (mostly mutual) childhood friends over 3 days. We stay with my family so I might try to organize a family walk.

17 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

The snack demon is a dire foe indeed! I'm here to watch you kick it's ass to back from whence it came!!

16 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Following! That snack demon is a monster. 

17 hours ago, EricMN said:

Following. You're not the only one who battles the snack demon. Let's beat this beast.

10 hours ago, Tova the Vibrant said:

Following! Trying to decrease sugary snacks (I'm looking at you Chobani) as well as my mid morning snack cravings

Good to have you all. Apparently we need to band together to destroy this monster since it's plaguing all of us

9 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Following!

I already beat the snack demon, brought him home as a prisoner, felt bad and let him sit on the couch with me and watch TV.  This can't possibly end badly.

Welcome WhiteGhost! You might want to put that demon back in his cage, it seems like a bad idea to befriend him :)

2 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Following!

I find I snack badly when I don't prep my food. Like yesterday, I had ran out of yogurt and fruit and and ended up eating the office cookies instead. I always thought peanut butter was a good snack. I know that the ones that are full of added sugar aren't great, but pure nut butters aren't that bad are they?

Food prep has definitely been a problem lately. Part of the reason my lunches have been so light is because I don't have enough leftovers from dinner (or any because I didn't actually cook dinner) so I'm eating frozen dinners that are way too small. Peanut butter is good....if you can stick to one or two spoonfulls. It's when I attack the jar with a spoon that things go badly. The stuff I buy is pretty low sugar but still very high calorie when you're eating 1/2 cup (or more....) at a time

• Like 4

Week Zero - Tuesday

Food - Overall I did well. I ate a cookie before I decided how to handle my food this challenge but other than that I resisted the Snack Demon. About 2100cals

Breakfast - PB&J Oatmeal

Snack - chocolate chip cookie

Lunch - Leftover chili, carrot chips in parmesan spinach greek yogurt dip

Dinner - Salad with added avocado, black beans, olives, almonds, and homemade balsamic dressing (large bowl before my workout and a smaller bowl after). Cherry Coke, this is very unusual for me but we bought a two liter for game night and need to use it up. You'll probably see it again today and maybe tomorrow but once it's gone it won't be a regular thing

Strength - StrongLifts. My triceps and glutes were still pretty worn out from the OCR Saturday. I made some pretty funny faces for the last couple reps of OHP

Cable Squats - 65lbs x 5 x 5

OHP - 40lbs x 5 x 5

Deadlift - 115lbs x 5 x 1

Cardio - Nothing that really got my heart rate up but I rode my bike to work and took three walks for over 16k steps

• Like 6

Meal prep is the best, but conversely failure to meal prep tends to be disastrous! I rely heavily on leftovers for lunches, so if I don't have any, things usually go very badly. I had a pretty decent stock of homemade freezer foods for a while there (meatballs - just throw marinara sauce sauce on them in the mornings, then nuke at lunch - was my favorite). It's been depleted, but it was a really good strategy while it lasted. 

The snack dragon is a big ol' jerk who just doesn't know how to stay down.. He can suck an egg. 

• Like 3

Yup, normally I have leftovers for lunch 9 days out of 10 but lately I've been slacking on cooking dinner. My normal dinners make at least enough leftovers for Hubs and I to have lunch the next day, sometimes 2 or 3 days. My quick/lazy dinners however either make no leftovers or ones that I don't really like but Hubs does so I leave them for him. I sucked it up today and have a casserole in the oven that will make lunch for tomorrow and possibly Friday. I haven't really tried freezing dinners except the occasional casserole that's a full dinner. I may allow myself to go out for lunch if I don't have leftovers since frozen dinners aren't working. I don't particularly like going out for lunch so I won't accidentally on purpose not have leftovers and there's a couple of places close by that have good healthy choices

1 hour ago, Fonzico said:

The snack dragon is a big ol' jerk who just doesn't know how to stay down.. He can suck an egg. 

I couldn't have said it better myself :)

• Like 4

Aaaand you've just reminded me, I need a new casserole dish (like, the actual dish - not a new recipe). Guess I'm going shopping this weekend... ugh. I hate shopping.

• Like 1

Week Zero - Wednesday

Food - Again, not too shabby at around 2100cals. I did snack a little but because I was legitimately hungry

Breakfast - PB&J Oatmeal (you're all going to get tired of seeing that, it's e'ry day)

Lunch - Remaining salad from Tuesday plus blueberries

Snack - Carrot chips with parmesan spinach dip and a single slice of bread while dinner was in the oven

Dinner - Egg noodle & veggie casserole x 2 (told you I was starving)

Strength - Rest Day

Cardio - 15 mile bike ride. I tried to go longer but the trail was closed due to construction. Might have been a good thing since my legs are pretty fatigued this morning. 12k steps total for the day

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Evicious said:

Aaaand you've just reminded me, I need a new casserole dish (like, the actual dish - not a new recipe). Guess I'm going shopping this weekend... ugh. I hate shopping.

If you were anywhere near me I'd offer you a casserole dish....or three. I'm pretty minimalist overall but I somehow ended up with 10 of them, and that's after getting rid of the metal ones and the weird sized ones

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Salinger said:

how you finding c2k5? im on week 3 

I'm not 100% sure how I feel about it. I actually finished it once 4 years ago and since then have restarted and stopped a few times. I think it was really good to help get me started running but not as useful now even though I'm still not much of a runner. I'm ready to start Week 4 on this go around

I mentioned this somewhere else that on my own I'm doing well to push myself to run a mile, but then last weekend I did 10.5 miles of runs and ran a decent portion of them (considering one was an OCR and the other was a hilly trail run). So yesterday I made a list of known group runs and followed both local running stores on Facebook so I can hear about other ones as they come up.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

I'm not 100% sure how I feel about it. I actually finished it once 4 years ago and since then have restarted and stopped a few times. I think it was really good to help get me started running but not as useful now even though I'm still not much of a runner.

If I'm honest really I don't know that C25K is useful for you. I understand why you keep returning to it but I don't think it offers much benefit other than getting you out the door.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

If I'm honest really I don't know that C25K is useful for you. I understand why you keep returning to it but I don't think it offers much benefit other than getting you out the door.

I'm leaning this way too. I just haven't figured out an alternative yet that will actually get me running.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• Like 1

When your snacking have you found that you feel like you arent eating enough at the other meals? Are you drinking enough water?

A good book that I recently read is called Wired to Eat by Robb Wolf. Talks a lot about the reason why people snack and stuff like that. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

I'm leaning this way too. I just haven't figured out an alternative yet that will actually get me running.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

What about a different running program? You probably respond to the structure more than anything and struggle when all you are trying to do is 'go running'.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Maigahane said:

If you were anywhere near me I'd offer you a casserole dish....or three. I'm pretty minimalist overall but I somehow ended up with 10 of them, and that's after getting rid of the metal ones and the weird sized ones

You're so generous, thank you! :) I try not to collect things as well, but sometimes things just creep into your cupboards and hide. For instance, I have 3 pizza pans - and they're all exactly the same size. I have no memory of where they came from, either. They just... appeared.

Spoiler

tumblr_nvm14hqTCo1ub07klo1_500.gif

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cn3wton said:

When your snacking have you found that you feel like you arent eating enough at the other meals? Are you drinking enough water?

A good book that I recently read is called Wired to Eat by Robb Wolf. Talks a lot about the reason why people snack and stuff like that. 

Sometimes it's that I haven't had enough to eat (which I'm addressing now) but then snacking foods don't actually fill me up so I keep eating. Sometimes I get into this weird bored/hangry mood where I'm not actually hungry but have to urge to "rage eat" everything in sight. I haven't figured out what causes these moods yet so I can't address the root cause. Water though, I drink plenty of. Maybe too much some days. I have a 32oz water bottle with me at all times and fill it up 3-6 times a day. I might actually be too low on sodium which is something else I'm looking into

I looked at that book and I'm a tad skeptical but I put out a request for my library to get it as an ebook. As a vegetarian who eats fairly high carb with amazing blood sugar levels (I get blood work done annually for insurance and amusement reasons) who has lost 60lbs eating this way, I cringe at the paleo/low-carb craze that's been around the last few years. Yes, cutting out simple carbs and processed sugars while focusing on real foods is a great thing, but I keep seeing it taken to the levels of "no sweet potatoes or bananas" and "this is the only way to lose weight" and it turns me off. I'm also turned off by Forks Over Knives because you can't have oils and it "cures cancer" so it's not just a vegetarian bias thing.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

What about a different running program? You probably respond to the structure more than anything and struggle when all you are trying to do is 'go running'.

I've looked a little bit at other running programs but nothing jumped out at me. I should probably research these some more

11 minutes ago, Evicious said:

You're so generous, thank you! :) I try not to collect things as well, but sometimes things just creep into your cupboards and hide. For instance, I have 3 pizza pans - and they're all exactly the same size. I have no memory of where they came from, either. They just... appeared.

Reveal hidden contents

tumblr_nvm14hqTCo1ub07klo1_500.gif

Lol! It doesn't help that they're spread out around my kitchen cabinets so there's only 3 or so in each spot. I keep meaning to rearrange my kitchen to consolidate stuff like that, it might get me to get rid of a few more of them. I do, however, only have one pizza pan, which is a pain on those rare occasions that we buy frozen pizzas (homemade ones get made in a cookie sheet, and that's also rare)

Also, that comic is amazing! I need to print that off and put it on my fridge. I wish I had any amount of creative talent

• Like 1