Maigahane Battles the Snacking Demon

Maigs

I'm home! The trip was good. We got to see lots of family and hang out with some friends and played lots of games. I got to spend quite a bit of time with our three nieces that are 7, 11, and 24 months old, and even though I still have no desire for kids they were pretty damn cute. I ate way too many brownies and cookies and I did a lot of grazing on food that was just out most of the time without defined meals.

Back on track tomorrow!

9 hours ago, Evicious said:

I've made breakfast biscuits for myself and hubby, but as there are only 8 total that means I'll have one breakfast free - and I'm declaring that day my official PB&J Oatmeal day! :P 

Hehe. You'll have to let me know what you think

• Like 2

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

Things against me tomorrow:
I have no leftovers so nothing for my normal lunch. Plus I'm at a different office tomorrow and don't have a yummy and healthy restaurant option 2 blocks away.

Things if my favor for tomorrow:
I just went to the grocery store and bought TONS of fruits and veggies. So I have a salad (premix with dressing so I didn't have an excuse), carrots, blueberries, grapes, bananas, and clementines. So I should be good :)

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Evicious said:

I've made breakfast biscuits for myself and hubby, but as there are only 8 total that means I'll have one breakfast free - and I'm declaring that day my official PB&J Oatmeal day! :P 

Image result for howdy gif

Do you happen to have a recipe for them there biscuits?

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Do you happen to have a recipe for them there biscuits?

I do! They're not the healthiest, but they are fairly quick and easy to make, keep well in the fridge, and reheat well in the microwave.

Total calories per Breakfast Biscuit are 368.

Ingredients:

Great Value "Jumbo" canned Biscuits (my husband likes the butter flavored kind)

Johnsonville breakfast sausage patties (or preferred brand & type of sausage patty)

Eggs

Butter (optional)

Instructions:

Bake biscuits according to instructions on can. Set aside to cool when done.

*While biscuits are baking, fry up 1 egg and 1 sausage per biscuit.

Cut biscuits in half when cool, and place 1 egg and 1 sausage each inside. 

Wrap with saran wrap and store in fridge.

To eat, place wrapped breakfast biscuit in microwave for 30 +/- seconds.

*For less mess when cooking, you can bake the eggs and sausage in the oven at the same time as the biscuits. 

Add a small amount of butter in a muffin tin, then crack an egg into each well (salt and pepper to taste).

Place sausage patties on a foil-lined tin (do not grease). 

Place all three trays (biscuits, eggs, and sausages) into preheated oven.

This method requires you keep an eye on everything while they bake, but the egg will usually be done the same time as the biscuits. The sausage patties will take longer: flip them over when you take out the eggs and biscuits to get a even browning on both sides. When the edges are browned, remove them from the oven. 

Keep in mind that these breakfast biscuits are intended to be reheated, so having only-just-barely-done ingredients will result in nicely cooked ingredients after they're microwaved.

• Like 1

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

14 minutes ago, Evicious said:

Ingredients:

Great Value "Jumbo" canned Biscuits (my husband likes the butter flavored kind)

Johnsonville breakfast sausage patties (or preferred brand & type of sausage patty)

Eggs 

Butter (optional)

Thank ye kindly ma'am

Butter & eggs I can get but biscuits and sausage patties are hard to come by round these parts. I am planning to try and make my own sausage patties from scratch but would be great to find a nice (easy!) recipe for buttermill biscuits to go with it.

• Like 1

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

11 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Thank ye kindly ma'am

Butter & eggs I can get but biscuits and sausage patties are hard to come by round these parts. I am planning to try and make my own sausage patties from scratch but would be great to find a nice (easy!) recipe for buttermill biscuits to go with it.

You're welcome!

As to quick & easy biscuits, I've found this recipe works very well, and it super-quick.

Spoiler

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups White Lily Self-Rising flour (or other self-rising flour)
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup melted butter (for tops of biscuits)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 500F degrees (yes, that is the correct temperature). 
Spray a baking sheet with a little nonstick spray. 
Measure out flour (using technique above) into a large bowl.
Gradually stir in cream, adding enough to moisten flour to a sticky dough.
049.jpg

Mix gently then turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface (use the self-rising flour).
If it is too sticky to handle, add just a sprinkling of self-rising flour to the top.
062.jpg

Fold the dough two times to form a ball.
063-1.jpg

Pat or roll dough gently to a 1/2 inch thickness.
068.jpg

You’ll notice, it’s not rolled out into a big sheet.
I just pressed it out gently with my hands, leaving the dough fairly thick. 
070.jpg

Take your biscuit cutter and dip it in a bit of the self-rising flour (this will keep it from sticking to the dough as it cuts).
Then begin to cut out biscuits as close together as possible. Do not twist your biscuit cutter when cutting them out. Just press down, and pull up.
071.jpg

I got about 3 biscuits from this first cutting. I probably could have cut out 4. 
Then I rolled the dough back up and spread it out again. Then did a second cutting. 
Don’t cut the dough more than twice. The dough starts to get tough after that and it changes the texture. 
So two cuttings will be the maximum for these biscuits. I get 6 biscuits from this recipe. Place biscuits on your prepared cookie sheet.

Note: Place biscuits close to each other (with sides touching) for soft biscuit sides. Separate biscuits if you want a biscuit with slightly crisper sides.
072.jpg

Brush the tops of the biscuits with a bit of melted butter.
078.jpg
Note: Little hands love to help make biscuits!

080.jpg

Then place biscuits (one sheet at a time, in the middle rack) in preheated oven and bake for about 8-10 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
Cream-Biscuits-3-Copyright-www.thecountrycook.net_.jpg

I love how these biscuits separate just a bit in the middle. It makes them easy to split. 
Brush tops of biscuits with a little more melted butter and serve while warm.
Cream-Biscuits-4-Copyright-www.thecountrycook.net_.jpg

• Like 2

Keep up the momentum!

3 minutes ago, Evicious said:

You're welcome!

As to quick & easy biscuits, I've found this recipe works very well, and it super-quick.

Hide contents

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups White Lily Self-Rising flour (or other self-rising flour)
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup melted butter (for tops of biscuits)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 500F degrees (yes, that is the correct temperature). 
Spray a baking sheet with a little nonstick spray. 
Measure out flour (using technique above) into a large bowl.
Gradually stir in cream, adding enough to moisten flour to a sticky dough.
049.jpg

Mix gently then turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface (use the self-rising flour).
If it is too sticky to handle, add just a sprinkling of self-rising flour to the top.
062.jpg

Fold the dough two times to form a ball.
063-1.jpg

Pat or roll dough gently to a 1/2 inch thickness.
068.jpg

You’ll notice, it’s not rolled out into a big sheet.
I just pressed it out gently with my hands, leaving the dough fairly thick. 
070.jpg

Take your biscuit cutter and dip it in a bit of the self-rising flour (this will keep it from sticking to the dough as it cuts).
Then begin to cut out biscuits as close together as possible. Do not twist your biscuit cutter when cutting them out. Just press down, and pull up.
071.jpg

I got about 3 biscuits from this first cutting. I probably could have cut out 4. 
Then I rolled the dough back up and spread it out again. Then did a second cutting. 
Don’t cut the dough more than twice. The dough starts to get tough after that and it changes the texture. 
So two cuttings will be the maximum for these biscuits. I get 6 biscuits from this recipe. Place biscuits on your prepared cookie sheet.

Note: Place biscuits close to each other (with sides touching) for soft biscuit sides. Separate biscuits if you want a biscuit with slightly crisper sides.
072.jpg

Brush the tops of the biscuits with a bit of melted butter.
078.jpg
Note: Little hands love to help make biscuits!

080.jpg

Then place biscuits (one sheet at a time, in the middle rack) in preheated oven and bake for about 8-10 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
Cream-Biscuits-3-Copyright-www.thecountrycook.net_.jpg

I love how these biscuits separate just a bit in the middle. It makes them easy to split. 
Brush tops of biscuits with a little more melted butter and serve while warm.
Cream-Biscuits-4-Copyright-www.thecountrycook.net_.jpg

Those look awesome, will have to give them a shot.  Do you happen to know if I can add yeast to regular flour if I can't find the self rising kind (or I suppose I could just google this kind of thing)

Now to figure out where I can buy some heavy cream.  (Starting to remember why I don't cook very much)

• Like 2

Level 2 Ninja

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Do you happen to know if I can add yeast to regular flour if I can't find the self rising kind (or I suppose I could just google this kind of thing)

Self rising flour uses baking powder rather than yeast. You can absolutely do it yourself. I think the ratio is 2 tsp per cup but google it :)

• Like 2

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

13 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Self rising flour uses baking powder rather than yeast. You can absolutely do it yourself. I think the ratio is 2 tsp per cup but google it :)

Sweet, thanks!

• Like 2

Level 2 Ninja

41 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Make sure your baking powder isn't expired, though. It lasts a very long time, but it does lose its effects after a certain point (ie, the expiration date on the tin).

• Like 2

Keep up the momentum!

10 hours ago, Evicious said:

Make sure your baking powder isn't expired, though. It lasts a very long time, but it does lose its effects after a certain point (ie, the expiration date on the tin).

I just bought it 2 weeks ago so I should be good :)

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

Week 1 - Wednesday

Food - Good! I ate 1750cals. The only snacking I did was at game night and I kept it much more reasonable than I could have since someone brought a CASE of Kinder Buenos. I have half of a bar (er...a single bar that comes in a double package) because you can't completely turn down Buenos when you live in the US

Breakfast - PB&J Oatmeal

Lunch - Premix salad, blueberries, and grapes

Dinner - Family casserole recipe

Snacks - Half a bueno and maybe a servings worth of steakhouse funyuns

Cardio - W4D1 C25k. I'm still not sure if I'm sticking with this program but I needed a run and hadn't thought of an alternative yet

Strength  - No time between work and gaming

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Good! I ate 1750cals. The only snacking I did was at game night and I kept it much more reasonable than I could have since someone brought a CASE of Kinder Buenos. I have half of a bar (er...a single bar that comes in a double package) because you can't completely turn down Buenos when you live in the US

Half a bar when there is a case available is impressive! How do I learn this sorcery?

• Like 2

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

21 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Half a bar when there is a case available is impressive! How do I learn this sorcery?

I'm pretty sure my only saving grace was that they were in three packs so I'd have to take apart a three pack, open one package, then open the individual bar. If they'd been just out in easy reach I would have eaten way more.

I want to learn the sorcery of these friends that had had the case for over a year (they technically expired May 1st). Last session they brought another candy that had just expired or was close to it. Somehow they can keep candy in the house and not eat it.

• Like 3

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I'm here now! It might take me a while to catch up, but I'll try as I get time. 

I'm here to cheer you on, Maigs!!!! 

• Like 2

Heroine of Time

Height: 5'8  Weight: 315lbs

Current Challenge: RhiaWolfe Follows the Way of the Samurai

Previous Challenges: 1234567891011121314151617181920212223

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

"Hyaaaat! Jeeyat-Hiyaaaah Hiet! Hyaaaaaaa Hiyyyyet! Hiyaaaaat Hiyaaaa!" - Link

Fitbit Profile * Good Reads

10 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

I want to learn the sorcery of these friends that had had the case for over a year (they technically expired May 1st). Last session they brought another candy that had just expired or was close to it. Somehow they can keep candy in the house and not eat it.

Pretty sure there's a demonic contract involved...

• Like 3

Keep up the momentum!

12 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Somehow they can keep candy in the house and not eat it.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

31 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

They've been replaced with replicants. It's the only rational explanation.

• Like 4

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

There is no way in hell candy is just hanging out in my house without being eaten!

Although Bueno bars are the one thing that would make it. About 10 years ago, we stumbled into owning several hundred of them, and I don't think I will ever eat another one in my life after that glut-fest!

• Like 3

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

We have managed to keep a half box of Thin Mints in the freezer since...February? Only because it's hiding and we keep forgetting about it and I know if I open that last sleeve it's just going to disappear so I wait for Hubs to open it first and he never sees it because it's on a shelf he doesn't use. I mentioned it was there about a week ago (when we weren't home) and he had no idea we had any left. I'm hoping the Buenos the friends sent us home with hide that well too since I put them on top of the white flour that I never use and is on the top shelf

6 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

Although Bueno bars are the one thing that would make it. About 10 years ago, we stumbled into owning several hundred of them, and I don't think I will ever eat another one in my life after that glut-fest!

Lol. I don't like them as much as I used to. I think part of the appeal was that I almost never got to eat them but I've found more opportunities lately. And they're a lot like the Ferrero Rocher candies that people used to buy me constantly and I kinda burt out on them

• Like 3

So, I"m pretty caught up now. I'd like to say that at work I got a raise. However, to do that I had to work 9 hour days for a total of 45 hours a week. IT SUCKS! I hate it. However, I wasn't really given a choice in the matter. None of the supervisors were. We don't have flexible schedules here and the scheduling and attendance is rather strict. 

I actually ended up getting another raise once the company found out I was looking for another job (they had me doing the work of 4 supervisors for a while and weren't listening to my pleas. They found out I was looking for another job and they did a lot to try and keep me. 

There are perks to my job, but the 7:00am-5:00pm days suck... I miss working 8 hours days. 

• Like 4

Heroine of Time

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

1 hour ago, Fonzico said:

There is no way in hell candy is just hanging out in my house without being eaten!

Don't think I've ever had a "Bueno Bar".

• Like 2

Heroine of Time

Never heard of Bueno bars! I'm going with the theory that your friends have actually been replaced with replicant aliens though. I can't imagine candy lasting in the house for a whole year. 

• Like 3

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

20 minutes ago, RhiaWolfe said:

There are perks to my job, but the 7:00am-5:00pm days suck... I miss working 8 hours days. 

You must have an hour lunch. Mine's just 1/2 hour so I'd be looking at 7am-4:30pm. That sucks that you don't get an extra day off for your longer hours.

19 minutes ago, RhiaWolfe said:

Don't think I've ever had a "Bueno Bar".

4 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Never heard of Bueno bars!

It's a European candy. Kinda like Twix bars but with hazelnut cream inside

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Maigahane said:

You must have an hour lunch. Mine's just 1/2 hour so I'd be looking at 7am-4:30pm. That sucks that you don't get an extra day off for your longer hours.

Yeah, I have an hour lunch. Honestly, I don't have enough work to keep me busy... ugh. It's frustrating... 

1 hour ago, Maigahane said:

It's a European candy. Kinda like Twix bars but with hazelnut cream inside

Ah, I see. Sounds tasty. 

Heroine of Time