Moros Gets bendier

Moros

Hi, Moros is back again.  This challenge is similar to the last one, except for the following things:

1. I am doing the whole-body mobility prescriptions in Deskbound Sun - Fri.  They are 10 minute exercises to loosen things up.

2. I am upping Yoga to two times per week

3. I am also practicing the "bracing sequence" - basically aligning while standing several times a day.  This is so I get in the habit of doing it. 

Pretty much everything else is the same.  Details below:

Spoiler

1. Morning Work

Walk - 30 minutes - Su, T, R - 3 pts each
    Bodyweight exercises - M, W, F - 7pts each
        Currently (may change):
        Darbee Cardio as a warmup (1 set, build up each time)
        10 Pushups - work on form this challenge
        15 wall squats - build this up each time
        10 inverted rows - build this up each time
        15 bridges - build this up each time
        30 second plank - build this up each time

Practice Bracing Sequence slowly three times - (Sun - Fri) - 1 pt each
    NFA Academy cool-down - (Sun - Fri) - 1 pt each
    10 minutes of mediation - 7 days - 1 pt each - use the Calm app as an experiment

2. Lunch time

Read NF Forums - Sun - Fri - 2pts each
    Practice Bracing Sequence slowly three times - (Sun - Fri) - 1 pt each
    Contact RH wing-woman & squad - no points, but here as a reminder

3. Evening

Mobility - Kate Galliett - MM Drills - (Sun - Fri) - 2pts each
    Mobility - Kelly Sterett - Movement Presecription (Sun - Fri) - 2pts each
    Post NF - Sun - Fri - 1pt each

4. Mace Zendu (Sundays, and Wednesdays)

Yoga - continue with NF Yoga (Water A) and Yoga by Adrienne - (Wed, Sun) - 5pts each
    Mace workouts - 5pt each

Total Weekly Points: 112

I will consider 322 points a success, 358 good, and 403 excellent.  
448 points maximum. 

baea2bb8925f048c743e7c5eb390ad37.jpg

• Like 4

Rebooting Ranger and Legionary

"Only a Dead Legionary Gives Up" - Day of the Starwind

"It always seems bad at first, but then I find a way" - Samurai Jack

Week 0 Update

Week 0 went pretty good overall - did all of my bodyweight exercises, and did Yoga once.  Did two mobility prescriptions, which take a lot of concentration.  Evening work still needs a lot of structure.

Days 1 - 3 Update

On Sunday, I did my Yoga, and found out that the following is too much for me (and Ms. Moros):

1. One pose practice for Yoga with Adrienne

2. One mini-session from NF Yoga

3. Water A from NF Yoga

Right now, the mini-sessions are almost as much work as the Water A.  I did the wrist one, and that took a lot out of me.  So, I will have to re-scale a bit.

Also, it's hard to do Yoga, and then do mobility stuff in the same evening, so I'll have to adjust the challenge for that too.

Memorial Day was kind of low energy - I woke up, meditated, and then wound up on the couch with blankets pulled up on me.  Because of (redacted), the last few days were very tough, and I ran out of energy.

Tuesday was better - did my walk, read the forums, and got a massage for my legs.  The good news is that almost all of the trigger points are gone on the front side of my legs. The bad news is that the trigger points on my calves and peroneus longus are more intense.  There are fewer of them, but they hurt more.  Also - protip - once you have had a deep tissue massage, you are pretty much hopeless for the rest of the day - basically your body is flooded with endorphins, so you are all sleepy and goofy :)

55e9f2393aabd99bd4fb8f817e7d4c10.jpg

Total Points: 26

• Like 2

I guess with the massage it just takes time to get all the muscles to relax. Hoping that by today you feel even better.

• Like 1

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I guess with the massage it just takes time to get all the muscles to relax. Hoping that by today you feel even better.

Last year, around May, when I was at a  conference, my outside leg muscles were so bad, that I could barely walk.  Part of that was dehydration, and part of that was really, really bad sneakers (so my outside stabilizer muscles were doing overtime).  Part of it was high weight, bad walking mechanics, and no love for the leg muscles.  I've been seeing this sports massage therapist since then, and it's gone from her saying "your legs are in crisis.  Don't jump at all, or you will blow out both Achilles tendons" to "hey, things are much better"

Now, she actually has to work to find the deeper knots :)

• Like 3

Days 4 - 7

So, Moros needs to get better about posting:

8c64b164b662f447c18592a18f72811f.jpg

Wednesday and Friday mornings were good with my bodyweight exercises, and Thursday was good with walking.  I also did Water A with Ms. Moros on Thursday, and that went well.  On Saturday, which is normally my rest day, I walked with Ms. Moros in the park for 2.6 miles (a PR for us both).  I also worked my epic quest of awesome.

Where I need improvement is my evening stuff, with mobility.  My evenings are much less structured than the rest of the day, and things tend to slide around.  I've put a reminder on my phone at 9pm to do my mobility stuff.  It's really not that bad - it takes about 20 minutes of concentration.  I just haven't made it a habit yet.

Total Points: 74

• Like 4

Day 8 - More Yoga, More Mace, More walking, more sweat!

So today went well.  I did my walk in the morning, stretched and meditated.  I have now meditated for 30 days straight #ZenHappyDance

which sounds like something from the classic Onion:

http://www.theonion.com/article/monk-gloats-over-yoga-championship-20224

Did the bracing sequences, did some errands with Ms. Moros, and then did my mace exercises and Yoga (Water A) together.  I am now officially done for today, after posting.

Daily Points: 19

Total Points: 93

• Like 2

On 6/4/2017 at 7:43 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

My google-fu is weak. What is mace zendu?

Sorry - it's a goofy inside joke. :apologetic:

A few challenges ago, I got an exercise mace - see https://www.onnit.com/academy/steel-mace/

if you want to learn more about them.  Since I do mace exercises and Yoga on Sunday, I call that day "Moga Sunday" or "Mace Zendu" depending on my mood.  Working out with the mace helps my stabilizer muscles, plus it looks cool...

For example:

IG_SteelMace360Fall.jpg

Note - I do not look like this guy :)

• Like 4

Day 9 - Rangered the day

So, the day did not begin well.  I got little sleep, my cats were jerks, blah, blah blah.  I was just too tired to work out.

I started by saying, "Well at least you can mediate for 10 minutes"

And I did that.

Lunchtime, I felt better, and so did my planned stuff then.

At dinnertime, after cooking, I decided to do all of my exercises that I had missed in the morning.  It's usually hard to get these back, after I missed them.

But I did them all.  Only a dead legionary gives up.

/rangered.

Daily Points: 17

Total Points: 110

• Like 3

Well done on getting back your day! It's the little wins like that that add up to the huge ones :)

Also, your meditation streak is impressive :D 

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

Day 10 - Not perfect, but  pretty good

So, the day went well in general - did my walking, adding in some intervals for a RH quest, and did my stretches and meditations.  Did not do my evening mobility stuff, but that's because me, Ms. Moros, and some friends of ours finally saw Wonder Woman.  I give it thumbs up, though I should say that I went in with really low expectations (because I did not enjoy that last two DC films).  I thought it was an excellent film for the first 3/4, and a good film for the final 1/4. Definitely worth seeing.

Daily Points: 10

Total Points: 120

• Like 1

Days 11 - 14 - Some Progress, struggling a bit

So, the last four days were tough because of (redacted).  I did get the following things done:

• Full bodyweight workout on Wed
  • Daily meditations all days - I now have a 36 day meditation streak going
  • Was on the NF forums every weekday
  • Did Yoga with Ms. Moros on Thursday as planned (Water A)

The last few days, I have been feeling yucky - not really sick, but yucky.  Not great diet is part of this, but I have just felt lousy. 

Total Points: 159

Hope you feel better soon. Neat that you and Mrs Moros did Yoga together

• Like 1

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 6/6/2017 at 10:44 PM, Moros said:

.. Wonder Woman.  I give it thumbs up, though I should say that I went in with really low expectations (because I did not enjoy that last two DC films).  I thought it was an excellent film for the first 3/4, and a good film for the final 1/4. Definitely worth seeing.

I thought exactly the same thing.

I think you are doing a really excellent job this challenge. Very consistent, with some good examples of doing things you didn't especially want to do. Congratulations on your meditation streak!

Is yoga pretty new to you and Mrs. Moros, or something you have both being doing for a while? Especially if it's new, I wondered if there were any things you especially liked about it, or any things you find difficult or less enjoyable?

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

10 hours ago, Xena said:

I thought exactly the same thing.

I think you are doing a really excellent job this challenge. Very consistent, with some good examples of doing things you didn't especially want to do. Congratulations on your meditation streak!

Is yoga pretty new to you and Mrs. Moros, or something you have both being doing for a while? Especially if it's new, I wondered if there were any things you especially liked about it, or any things you find difficult or less enjoyable?

Ms. Moros has been doing Yoga for a long time - I started in December 2016.  I'm still very much a beginner - I've only done videos online (mostly Yoga with Adrienne's Foundation of Yoga), and NF Yoga.  It's been a net positive for me, but is definitely a slow gradual process.  Kind of like meditation - it makes a big difference, but it takes a long while to get momentum.  I plan to keep on doing it, and I started out doing one session a week, and I'm now up to two.

Positives: I am getting better flexibility and balance in general, and my body awareness is noticeably better.  I stumble a lot less, and I feel like I am holding myself up straighter.  Sometimes I feel like I have gained an inch or two in height.  Even when I'm really sore from exercises, I now know a lot more stretches and poses to get me untwisted up.

What's Difficult: For me, I'm very stiff and inflexible in general, so the Yoga makes it really clear which muscles are really tight (hamstrings, hip flexors) and which muscles are unbalanced (hip flexors, outside leg muscles).  As a guy, certain poses make you feel uncomfortable at first (things like garland pose or goddess pose).  It's not like these poses are wrong, or not useful, but it's a mental/emotional thing thing you just have to get over.  Some common poses - like downward dog - are really hard to check by yourself, because you can't see whether you are in the right position or not.  I have long arms relative to my torso, and it feels like I'm never in the right position when I am in downward dog.  I actually have an appointment coming up with a Yoga teacher for a private lesson with Ms. Moros to get some professional feedback.

Everyone's different of course - this is definitely a "your mileage may vary" kind of thing.

• Like 3

Day 15 - Walking and Yoga

So, I and Ms. Moros did another long walk in the part today - 2.25 miles.  The temperatures were higher - around 80 degrees, with coupled with

the humidity made it more sporting.  Still, we did it. 

We then went home, and by request from Ms. Moros, did a Yin Yoga restorative session, where you bring many pillows, foam blocks, blankets, and

a tuba to do the session. 

6a0120a64c43d5970b0162fdd5f841970d.jpg

Actually, you don't need a tuba - it turns out a French Horn will do :)

Daily Points: 13

Total Points: 172

• Like 4

Day 16 - Moros did most of the things!

It was a good day.  Did all of my bodyweight workout in the morning, and all of the mobility work in the evening.  Finished season 1 of the Expanse, and am getting ready to go to the Origins game fair towards the end of the week.  I've never been to Origins, so hopefully it will be fun.  Lots of events.

I wish I had thought of the picture below:

full_catanpizza_1231553410.jpg

Daily Points: 17

Total Points: 189

• Like 3

Yoga with French Horns and Tubas:confused-new:

I've done yoga at home only, and I'm always wondering if I'm doing the poses right. Good idea to have teacher look at it.Great that you and Mrs Moros went walking even in the humidity.

• Like 2

Days 17 - 22  - Origins and Some progress

So, Origins was fun - did a lot of interesting events:

• I was a kobold who was crushed by a pig on a spit (long story)    It turns out that kobolds are evil, cannibalistic, and try to eat babies, but they do eat Paleo (who knew?)  
  • I Terraformed Mars (and got a free game for doing so!)
  • I played Shadowrun for the first time in a decade as an Ork
  • I tried a DragonRider game (Simurgh) that was just way too fiddly
  • Ms. Moros and I bought the hot game of the year - Scythe - at a fairly large discount
  • We all tried the XCOM board game, and decided it was too tense for us
  • We bought several other things
  • I walked over 10,000 steps for each day of the con
  • As is our tradition with our friends, we went to a Brazilian Steakhouse, and enjoyed it a lot.

The only bad thing physically is that my hip flexors were pretty aggravated, and although I did do my meditation daily, I didn't do as much of my challenge as I hoped.  I didn't expect to do all of it, but I was hoping I would do my stretches every day.

However, I was definitely in better shape overall than I was at the last gaming convention I was at - that's a good thing.

Sunday was a be a sloth day - we got back to our house at 1am, and slept most of the day.

So, later in the week, I drive to help my brother move, so posting at the end of the week may be sparse.

KAMB_9LG9000_CoverImage.jpgpic3536616.jpg

Total Points: 209

• Like 1

Glad you had fun. That sounds like there was lots of cool things to do. Course the part that  sounded the best to me was the Brazilian Steak House. I've done those a couple of times and loved it .All the meat.

• Like 1