[HYMNUSAL] - Visits Lorlathil

Hymnusal

18 hours ago, Hymnusal said:

I tried this the other night and it seemed to work, at the very least I think it may keep me from falling asleep. :) I'll give it a go for a while - thanks for the idea!

Hooray! I'll hope for the best on that one. You never know when something that seems like a really small change will end up unlocking a much bigger one, so it's often good to try a few things and see if there's a way to make it work. There usually is. 

Let me know if you need anything, I'm always around. And congrats on making it to challenge week four of four!! Almost done!!

On 6/18/2017 at 6:26 PM, Hymnusal said:

I tried this the other night and it seemed to work, at the very least I think it may keep me from falling asleep. :) I'll give it a go for a while - thanks for the idea!

So I am playing catch up. I am sorry you seem to have caught the funk that was going around. Hopefully you are doing better. IT looks from your challenge numbers you are doing okay.

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Day 22 (June 19): 

• More Plants! ➡️ 33/44
  • Less Process! ➡️ 10/18
  • Strength and Stretching! ➡️ NA
  • Mind and Soul! ➡️yes,yes: 28/44
  • Bonus: Commune with Nature ➡️ 22 day streak 

Day 23 (June 20): 

• More Plants! ➡️ 35/46
  • Less Process! ➡️ 10/19
  • Strength and Stretching! ➡️ 1/3
  • Mind and Soul! ➡️yes,yes: 30/46
  • Bonus: Commune with Nature ➡️ 23 day streak 

Day 24 (June 21): 

• More Plants! ➡️ 37/48
  • Less Process! ➡️ 11/21
  • Mind and Soul! ➡️yes,yes: 32/48
  • Bonus: Commune with Nature ➡️ 24 day streak 

Day 25 (June 22): 

• More Plants! ➡️ 39/50
  • Less Process! ➡️ 11/22
  • Strength and Stretching! ➡️ 1/3
  • Mind and Soul! ➡️yes,yes: 34/50
  • Bonus: Commune with Nature ➡️ 25 day streak 

Day 26 (June 23): 

• More Plants! ➡️ 40/52
  • Less Process! ➡️ 11/22
  • Mind and Soul! ➡️yes,yes: 36/52
  • Bonus: Commune with Nature ➡️ 26 day streak 

Day 27 (June 24): 

• More Plants! ➡️ 40/54
  • Less Process! ➡️ 11/22
  • Strength and Stretching! ➡️ 2/3 + 0/1
  • Mind and Soul! ➡️yes,yes: 38/54
  • Bonus: Commune with Nature ➡️ 27 day streak 

Day 28 (June 25): 

• More Plants! ➡️ 41/56
  • Less Process! ➡️ 11/22
  • Strength and Stretching! ➡️ 2/3 + 0/1
  • Mind and Soul! ➡️yes,yes: 40/56
  • Bonus: Commune with Nature ➡️ 28 day streak 
  • Like 1

Rebel Death Knight

Level 3 : Progress [ = _ _ _ ]

Challenges: [4] Current / 3 / 2 / 1

So I was away from home (and good internet) for the end of the challenge. I managed to keep up a few things in that time. On one hand I'm a bit disappointed, on the other hand I know what happened - I just don't know if I have the strength to fix it right now.

• More Plants! ➡️ 41/(56 - 16) = 41/40 = 102.5% = PASS! Go me! :D
  • Less Process! ➡️ 11/22 = 50% = Fail...
  • Strength and Stretching! ➡️ 7/12 + 3/4 = 62.5% = Fail...
  • Mind and Soul! ➡️yes,yes: 40/56 = 71.4% = Fail...
  • Bonus: Commune with Nature ➡️ 28 day streak = PASS!

More Plants!:

The key to success here was keeping lots of vegetables around. I may have succeeded, but if I don't keep pushing this I won't keep progressing here. Also my meals were in step, but snacks were abysmal (see Less Process). Continuing next challenge.

Less Process!:

Watching myself fail here was absolutely amazing. As an outsider it would have been a super interesting case study on sugar as an addictive substance. What it tells me in retrospect is that my choices are driven by impulse and that the problem is bigger than chocolate. I'm going to need to think on this more to figure out how to end this addiction. Modifying and continuing next challenge.

Strength and Stretching!:

It seems I am going to need to actually schedule this, write it on my calendar, anything to get it the time needed and to prevent W.o.W. from eating that time slot up. Continuing next challenge.

Mind and Soul!:

Thanks to @Wobbegong's suggestion this really improved by the end of the challenge. I may shelf this goal or make it a bonus next challenge since I see something else that needs to take precedence in order to get my stuff together, but I will continue this as best I can.

Bonus: Commune with nature!

Figures this was a success. I'm actually finding French very interesting and Duolingo makes it fun. I think this habit will probably stick.

Because of the existing partial XP from last challenge I am now a level 3 death knight, but I still have a long way to go. :) I'll be doing some thinking and adjusting this week. The number one thing that kept me from success was not having a plan at the beginning of the challenge. Knowing that, I will begin proper scheming now.

• Like 3

Rebel Death Knight

17 minutes ago, Hymnusal said:

More Plants!:

The key to success here was keeping lots of vegetables around. I may have succeeded, but if I don't keep pushing this I won't keep progressing here. Also my meals were in step, but snacks were abysmal (see Less Process). Continuing next challenge.

Less Process!:

Watching myself fail here was absolutely amazing. As an outsider it would have been a super interesting case study on sugar as an addictive substance. What it tells me in retrospect is that my choices are driven by impulse and that the problem is bigger than chocolate. I'm going to need to think on this more to figure out how to end this addiction. Modifying and continuing next challenge.

I totally get it. Having veggies on hand do help. Could you try making up snack baggies once a week of veggies to use as snacks.  Another thing we are trying is keeping dried fruit around (its still sweetish) and its better than some of the other processed. Maybe you could try stepping down your sugar than going cold turkey as well. It sounds rather dumb now that I say it out loud now. I mean it took me a year or so to go from like 6+ sodas to being completely off it. I just cut back some a day, and when I thought I had it there, I cut back a bit more. Then I went to one every couple of days and so on.

21 minutes ago, Hymnusal said:

It seems I am going to need to actually schedule this, write it on my calendar, anything to get it the time needed and to prevent W.o.W. from eating that time slot up. Continuing next challenge.

I think scheduling it is a good idea. Doing things like before I brush my teeth for bed, or something of that vein may help. I have alarms since I know I will forget if I don't have my brain yelling at me to do it.

I am sure you are going to rock it next round. I look forward to seeing what you decide to do.

• Like 2

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

2 hours ago, Hymnusal said:

More Plants!:

Less Process!:

Just curious, but when you snack on chocolate and other processed foods is it more of a "hungry between meals" thing, a "boredom/pass the time" thing, or a "I'm stressed out and chocolate will make me feel better" thing? If it's a hunger issue, I would try upping your caloric/fat intake at your meals and seeing if that helps with satiety (you do have to be able to tune into your body's signals and notice when you're actually hungry to do this). If it's boredom-related, is there something else you can fidget with or chew on that isn't quite so nutritionally dull? 

Regarding stress-eating, tbh I think it's perfectly fine to do it, as long as you do it mindfully. When you eat, it should be to fill a need: if that need isn't hunger, that's fine; maybe you're eating chocolate because it reminds you of being a kid, when all your problems were small and far away. Maybe the sweet just gives you a bit of an endorphin rush and you like it. But whenever you eat to fill a need, you should take extra care to make sure you're focusing on it so you know when the need is filled. (How often do you eat regular meals like they're a chore, focusing on the TV or your book instead of the food and bolting it down as quickly as possible? Lots of people in our culture do this, and yet when asked, we all say "yes, of course!" to the question "Do you love food?" Is that really what love looks like?)

Try this exercise: go grab a piece of chocolate. Listen to the wrapper as you take it off. How does that sound make you feel? Excited? Hungry? Guilty? Calm? Now hold the chocolate in your hand and feel its weight, its smoothness. Look at it. Notice it. Did you break this piece off a larger bar? Does it have ragged edges? Imagine how those will have a different mouthfeel than a single-wrap piece of chocolate, like a Dove or Reese's Mini. Smell it. Does it smell sweet? Chocolatey? Creamy? What does that smell remind you of? Is there a memory associated with it? Then put it in your mouth, but don't chew. Feel the way it melts. Enjoy the flavor. Focus on it. Let it completely coat your tongue. When you're done, go ahead and have another, if you still want one. Repeat the process. Is the second one as good as the first? Do you still need a third?

This exercise can really help you identify what you're getting out of your chocolate habit and when enough is enough, without any kind of shame. Remember, no one's force-feeding you. If you're ready to stop, you can. If you're not, you don't have to. Just tune in so you know. 

2 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I totally get it. Having veggies on hand does help. Could you try making up snack baggies once a week of veggies to use as snacks?  Another thing we are trying is keeping dried fruit around (its still sweetish) and its better than some of the other processed. Maybe you could try stepping down your sugar than going cold turkey as well. It sounds rather dumb now that I say it out loud now. I mean it took me a year or so to go from like 6+ sodas to being completely off it. I just cut back some a day, and when I thought I had it there, I cut back a bit more. Then I went to one every couple of days and so on.

This is great advice! Making easy-to-grab healthy snacks can help loads. And in line with what you were saying about keeping more vegetables on hand, keeping problem snacks OUT of the house can also help a lot. I recently tried that in combination with a replacement snack: whenever I feel a chocolate craving, I tell myself "go eat a handful of nuts or a string cheese" and check in after to see if I'm still craving chocolate. I'm usually not. 

Last night I caved and bought a Cadbury bar. I only ate two pieces! I was expecting to devour it, but instead I was able to recognize when enough was enough (and when I wasn't getting what I wanted out of it). I'll save the rest for later. 

2 hours ago, Hymnusal said:

Scheduling workouts is my #2 biggest hurdle in actually working out, right after having a standard routine overall. Recently I've found two alarms help: one at eleven am, telling me to take a break from work, get up, do some weights or stretching, walk around a bit. Another at 5pm that just says "there's still plenty of time to do better!" 5pm is early enough in the evening that if I've missed exercising earlier, or if I ate some crap, or whatever, I can still turn my day around. 

3 hours ago, Hymnusal said:

Mind and Soul!:

Thanks to @Wobbegong's suggestion this really improved by the end of the challenge. I may shelf this goal or make it a bonus next challenge since I see something else that needs to take precedence in order to get my stuff together, but I will continue this as best I can.

I'm delighted to hear I was able to help in any way. Best of luck with your next challenge, I'll be around! 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Just curious, but when you snack on chocolate and other processed foods is it more of a "hungry between meals" thing, a "boredom/pass the time" thing, or a "I'm stressed out and chocolate will make me feel better" thing?

I don't think it's a bored thing, I have thinking putty and a squishy octopus on my desk to fidget with. I think it started as a "stressed out, need to feel better thing" then became an "energy loan shark thing". I'm allergic to coffee so I turned to chocolate as an alternate caffeine source. Hindsight is 20/20, should have chose tea.

I failed so hard on the chocolate thing because really high quality chocolate isn't crammed with sugar. It wasn't waking me up so I didn't want it, I couldn't convince myself to walk the extra block for something I didn't want. Now I'm in the crash cycle. I'm barely awake at 10:30 am and trying not to fall asleep at my desk. I'm also starting to see more brain fog, mental chatter, and depression - science says this is probably from the sugar consumption.

I have a feeling this is going to take a cold turkey to work, and I'm not really looking forward to the first 10 days of that. It will be worth it, but I'm going to need a plan to make it work. Just need to clear enough brain fog to get there.

18 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Scheduling workouts is my #2 biggest hurdle in actually working out, right after having a standard routine overall. Recently I've found two alarms help: one at eleven am, telling me to take a break from work, get up, do some weights or stretching, walk around a bit. Another at 5pm that just says "there's still plenty of time to do better!" 5pm is early enough in the evening that if I've missed exercising earlier, or if I ate some crap, or whatever, I can still turn my day around. 

<3 You're full of good ideas, I'll try setting appointment alarms so I don't forget. :)

• Like 2

Rebel Death Knight

On 6/27/2017 at 0:06 PM, Hymnusal said:

Hindsight is 20/20, should have chose tea.

Is it too late to try green tea with a bit of honey for caffeine + sugar?

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi