• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

Spring Strength Showdown (a NF Virtual Powerlifting Meet!)

Spring Strength Showdown

a NerdFitness Virtual Powerlifting Meet

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2371[/ATTACH]

Between April 13 and April 27th (that gives you two full weeks), pick a day and do a max effort on your squat, bench press, and deadlift :)

Post your results, and on April 28th, fortune, and glory (well, glory) are showered upon the winners.

To keep it competitive we'll run all the weight classes and because we are nerds we can also use the Wilks Formula to see who's strongest across weight, age and sex classes!

We're using kg for this, not lbs. If you need a converter, check here.

Reporting would be on the good old honor system (though videos are encouraged!): post your attempted lifts, and pass or fails. You get to pick your lifts, so remember to make the first one a "banker" because if you don't get one good lift in each category, you don't get a total.

Also, just a note - ALL ABILITIES and experience levels are welcome. This is really just for fun :)

-----------------------

The Rules:

You get four attempts in each of squat, bench press and deadlift in that order (four, not three, so everyone has a better chance of making a total and having fun). standards are page 17-20 of this, but minus the judge participation :) http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/fileadmin/data/Technical_Rules/IPF_rulebook_01_2011.pdf. You're doing this on your own, so you're expected to judge yourself.

The best lift in each is added to your total. Top total for each bodyweight class wins the class.

Weigh in on the morning of your lifts. If you're close to a lower weight class, it's solid gamesmanship to cut a couple of pounds so you can lift among the lighter athletes.

Generally the rules details would be IPF Raw (http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/fileadmin/data/Technical_Rules/Classic_PL_Rules.pdf), which means no squat or bench suits, no knee wraps; belts and wrist wraps are fine.

Weight classes:

Men: up to 53 kg (Sub-Junior/Junior), 59 kg, 66 kg, 74 kg, 83 kg, 93 kg, 105 kg, 120 kg, 120 kg+

Women: up to 43 kg (Sub-Junior/Junior), 47 kg, 52 kg, 57 kg, 63 kg, 72 kg, 84 kg, 84 kg +

Age categories:

15-18, 19-23, open (any age) masters 40+

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhwUPKtF79S8dDk4Zk9ETUtUaGZVQW1pVzdXeHdCOHc#gid=0

(credit most of the rules writing to andygates, who put on our first midwinter muscle madness and who i'm shamelessly stealing the wording from :) )

Prize:

Overall winner (based on the wilks formula) gets a NF T-shirt (or tank, if that's what you prefer!) :)

Stickers for runner-ups

post-335-13567243491465_thumb.jpg

I have a meet the weekend after, so I guess I'm officially out. I'll still post my results for fun though.

Like the 28th or in May?

In. Looking forward to competing against Santa-style Andy Gates.

p.s. Corey, that sucks.

Ninja Edit - Any guys entering their numbers, make sure you put "m" in lowercase for your sex as the formula is case sensitive. I couldn't figure out why I had the same coefficient as Spezzy for a few minutes...

Edited by this_is_seth

@Corey: Oh no, bro! Rest up well.

I'm in as well, although probably not going for a max on anything. This last week took a toll on my training and I haven't lifted in so long so it'll be rebuilding time. (You know I say all of this but I may end up pushing myself because well RAWR!)

Plus I may be travelling overseas during that time and I don't think hotels have barbells :(

@Corey: Oh no, bro! Rest up well.

I'm in as well, although probably not going for a max on anything. This last week took a toll on my training and I haven't lifted in so long so it'll be rebuilding time. (You know I say all of this but I may end up pushing myself because well RAWR!)

Plus I may be travelling overseas during that time and I don't think hotels have barbells :(

I'm going to be in the States until the 18th, and will log my numbers when I get back. Jet lag can only make us stronger, right?

This is probably a dumb question but... How does one go about training for something like this?

Do you just calculate your 1rep max based on what you are currently lifting? (I feel like it has to ve more complicated than that)

I'd love to do something like this but I feel like a goof going in to CF outside of a class and being like.. "hey, can I just... squat?" :(

Why? Isn't one of CF goals to make you stronger? Wouldn't this be a good way of demonstrating that?

Why? Isn't one of CF goals to make you stronger? Wouldn't this be a good way of demonstrating that?

yeah, it totally is... I shouldn't feel silly I guess! I go to the strength only days and they do strength cycles, so I guess I just don't want to come across as, "your programming isn't doing it for me..." They just are working on snatch & cleans right now, not squats. I should suck it up!

I'd love to do something like this but I feel like a goof going in to CF outside of a class and being like.. "hey, can I just... squat?" :(

...i do this all the time.

want me to call them? i'll call them.

:D

I pulled/tore something in my lower abdominal area, I'm out unless it goes away. Hoping it's not a hernia, been hurting for a week or so now.

p.s. Corey, that sucks.

Also, seth, didn't I call this a few days back that Corey'd be the next to be injured? In fact, I think I did:

@Seth' date=' I'll place bets that corey is next

@MirGSS, Nuh uh, all the cool kids are taking a week off :P[/quote']

Corey, sorry if my prognostication powers caused this. I didn't mean to bring ya back luck.

Also, seth, didn't I call this a few days back that Corey'd be the next to be injured? In fact, I think I did:

Corey, sorry if my prognostication powers caused this. I didn't mean to bring ya back luck.

Where is this post? I would have hid in a basement or something until someone else got injured if I'd seen it.

...i do this all the time.

want me to call them? i'll call them.

:D

CF Box: Hello, This is Maggies CF box.

Spezzy: Hey this is the Master of the Deadlift. Maggie is gonna come in and just squat, k?

CF Box: Wait who is this?

Spezzy: Deadlift, Master of the. Got a problem wit' that? No? Good. So she's gonna come in and squat.

CF Box: Ummm, okay. No problem.

Spezzy: Great! Kthxbai!