• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

Spring Strength Showdown (a NF Virtual Powerlifting Meet!)

If all the cool kids are taking a week off, do we wanna scootch the dates along at all? Or is that complicating things? :)

Maggie: C'mon, they'll love it. And you can always blame the internets. :)

I like how thus far on the spreadsheet there are more women signed up than men.

I'm in -- I was planning on testing maxes for my birthday which is around then anyway, though 'that time of the month' is due to hit around my birthday as well, so that'll be fun.

CF Box: Hello, This is Maggies CF box.

Spezzy: Hey this is the Master of the Deadlift. Maggie is gonna come in and just squat, k?

CF Box: Wait who is this?

Spezzy: Deadlift, Master of the. Got a problem wit' that? No? Good. So she's gonna come in and squat.

CF Box: Ummm, okay. No problem.

Spezzy: Great! Kthxbai!

LOL. This made me laugh. I needed that. :)

@Lachy, REPRESENT mate. lets have a little State of Origin contest

hahah! yes we will be in for this.

Edited by Pat G

haha right on. maybe we can get Gemeaux to rep the females from NSW and I have a strong feeling we have a QLD female or two about the boards as well.

So, I've got a couple of procedural/best-practices questions. I've never been in a powerlifting competition before.

I'm getting it that all lifts should be done on the same day. I've only ever tried to really push one lifting exercise on a given day before. I have competed in the Highland Games where we try to achieve high performances in up to 8 events over the length of the day. Last night I did some doubles to try to get my body used to some bigger weight again, and I feel kinda wrecked today, even though the reps themselves weren't *that* hard.

In most powerlifting competitions, how much time is there between events? Or, conversely, what is optimal? Is it better to do it all in one session, so that there's only one warm-up/warm-down, or is it better to do one event at a time and take some time off in between to recover?

Thanks.

So, I've got a couple of procedural/best-practices questions. I've never been in a powerlifting competition before.

I'm getting it that all lifts should be done on the same day. I've only ever tried to really push one lifting exercise on a given day before. I have competed in the Highland Games where we try to achieve high performances in up to 8 events over the length of the day. Last night I did some doubles to try to get my body used to some bigger weight again, and I feel kinda wrecked today, even though the reps themselves weren't *that* hard.

In most powerlifting competitions, how much time is there between events? Or, conversely, what is optimal? Is it better to do it all in one session, so that there's only one warm-up/warm-down, or is it better to do one event at a time and take some time off in between to recover?

Thanks.

They usually try moving swiftly, and one of the common complaints is that they're too slow. Obviously you don't want to be whipping from movement to movement like a crazy man, but I can't see it taking more than an hour or two. If what you're asking is whether you should have, like, morning, afternoon, and evening sessions, with a lift at each, I'd say no. Each lift will generally warm you up for the others pretty well (though you'll still likely want to take a couple warmup sets), and you're probably not gonna want to let yourself cool down too much between movements. Just think of it like any other workout.

So, general warmup, to get your body moving. A few warmup sets on the squat (or dead, whatever you're doing first if it's up to us), and then four heavy singles, ramping up to crush a PR with the last three. Five minute rest or so, then onto bench, for a couple warmup sets, and then your four singles. Five minute rest, repeat for deadlift (or squat). And then cool down however.

Your mileage, of course, may vary. Try whatever you think's gonna work for you. Lift hard, but remember, this is all fun! Learning experience. :)

They usually try moving swiftly, and one of the common complaints is that they're too slow. Obviously you don't want to be whipping from movement to movement like a crazy man, but I can't see it taking more than an hour or two. If what you're asking is whether you should have, like, morning, afternoon, and evening sessions, with a lift at each, I'd say no. Each lift will generally warm you up for the others pretty well (though you'll still likely want to take a couple warmup sets), and you're probably not gonna want to let yourself cool down too much between movements. Just think of it like any other workout.

So, general warmup, to get your body moving. A few warmup sets on the squat (or dead, whatever you're doing first if it's up to us), and then four heavy singles, ramping up to crush a PR with the last three. Five minute rest or so, then onto bench, for a couple warmup sets, and then your four singles. Five minute rest, repeat for deadlift (or squat). And then cool down however.

Your mileage, of course, may vary. Try whatever you think's gonna work for you. Lift hard, but remember, this is all fun! Learning experience. :)

I was planning to try to knock it all out in about 1 1/4 hours. Am I crazy? (I'll have a great spotter).

Took me a little over an hour last time I did 1RM testing. I had about 3-5 minutes of rest between reps/routines... and I had to keep grabbing my buddy who was spotting for me. Sadly, I will not have him around this time.

I was planning to try to knock it all out in about 1 1/4 hours. Am I crazy? (I'll have a great spotter).

Absolutely, that sounds fine. Guesstimated an hour "or two" for people who want to do a really thorough warmup, mobility, plenty of warmup sets and rest, grabbing spotters, etc. Im guessing about an hour and fifteen for myself, too. :)

Thanks for the info. Sounds good. I'm thinking I'm not going to go crazy on this one, particularly on the squats, and then use that as my benchmark for next time.

I do notice that in Spezzy's original post, it says squats, bench, deadlift *in that order*.

Why? Isn't one of CF goals to make you stronger? Wouldn't this be a good way of demonstrating that?

This is partially true - CF will make you stronger up to a certain point, but the goal of CF is more generalized strength, where powerlifting is a specialized sport. CF will only take you so far with that. I did CF for 2 years and I've also lifted in a powerlifting meet (as well as a couple of Olympic meets). At the beginning of the year I left my CF affiliate (mostly due to scheduling issues resulting from a job change) and wound up lifting at a dedicated strength & conditioning facility closer to home, where I was able to train specifically for the PL meet. Even though I only trained that for a month, it made a huge difference and all of my lifts increased. Not only from doing max effort training on those lifts, but also from doing assistance exercises like rack pulls, bench lockouts, working with chains and bands, etc. Even though my CF box had more of a strength bias, I think it would have been difficult to train PL and see any increase in my lifts.

Just to give you an idea of numbers, when I left my CF box my lifts were:

Squat: 155 (high bar)

Bench press: 115 (without a pause at the bottom, but a pause is required in a PL meet)

Deadlift: 230

After training those lifts specifically for 4 weeks, at the meet (in the 60kg weight class):

Squat: 170 (low bar)

Bench: 121 (with the required pause)

Deadlift: 250

Not to discourage any CF'ers from lifting in a meet, because just by doing CF you already know the lifts, although the technique and logistics for doing them in a PL meet is probably somewhat different from what you learned. And participating in a meet is a great goal, and just fun! But to maximize your results in a specialized activity, you need to be training for that specifically.

I lifted in the MN State Open back in February. One of the things that surprised me was how much time there was between not only the different lifts, but between each of the 3 attempts. They had everyone arranged in order of their first attempt. But everyone did their first attempt (in my flight, it was all the women plus the men masters lifters.) So this meant, do squat 1, then wait for 20 other people to do squat 1. Then everyone does squat 2, then 3, and so on. Then there was a while before bench started. And the same process. Same for deadlift. There was a TON of time between each attempt. Fatigue was no issue at all because of that, I assume by design. This was very different from the Olympic meets I'd been to, where the lifts are purely ordered by weight, so depending on what you're lifting, you might wind up following yourself in attempts with only 2 minutes of rest.

My question about this virtual PL meet is, how consistent could the standards be? In a PL meet obviously they have judges watching you to check squat depth (I saw a lot of people miss lifts because of that), not hitching your deadlift, etc. Also you have to pause at the bottom of your bench press and wait for the command to press. Makes it a whole different lift from just bouncing it off your chest. The standards can really make a difference in what the numbers will be...