• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

Spring Strength Showdown (a NF Virtual Powerlifting Meet!)

My question about this virtual PL meet is, how consistent could the standards be? In a PL meet obviously they have judges watching you to check squat depth (I saw a lot of people miss lifts because of that), not hitching your deadlift, etc. Also you have to pause at the bottom of your bench press and wait for the command to press. Makes it a whole different lift from just bouncing it off your chest. The standards can really make a difference in what the numbers will be...

This is more of a fun reason to test your 1RM for yourself, not for any type of actual competition. We don't have any bragging rights if we win or anything like that. At least that's how it worked last time. Sure there is some competition, but that's more on the personal friendly rivalry like me ALWAYS deadlifting more than bigm.

This is more of a fun reason to test your 1RM for yourself, not for any type of actual competition. We don't have any bragging rights if we win or anything like that. At least that's how it worked last time. Sure there is some competition, but that's more on the personal friendly rivalry like me ALWAYS deadlifting more than bigm.

Bah that's because I never test 1RM so your number are always higher :P

Don't make me pull an andygates and DL 200 kilos.

I'd probably pull an Andy Gates if I tried 200 kilos...

see what I did there. DO YOU SEE IT.

Bahaha, subtle word play. I like it.

If this damn abdominal injury gets a bit better I'm planning on it.

Eep!

Sounds like fun then! I guess that means I'm in. And good for me to compare against my recent 1RMs which I conveniently happen to have handy. :D

Oh, I should point out that the Wilks formula doesn't take age into account. For masters (age 40+) there is an additional coefficient called the McCulloch Age Coefficient which is multiplied to the result of the Wilks number. There is a different coefficient for each year of age starting at 40 (same for men and women.) So for a masters lifter the final calculation is:

(Total of Best Lifts) x (Wilks coefficient) x (McCulloch coefficient) = McCulloch Age Total

I bring this up because I'm a nerd, and at age 43, I need all the help I can get. ;)

Edited by gymell

Bah that's because I never test 1RM so your number are always higher :P

Don't make me pull an andygates and DL 200 kilos.

Calm down guys and remember you'll always be chasing me. :smug:

Sigh, so true. Although last time you posted your 1RM max it was 455 which is not far off from 440. :D We'd be slightly less far behind. At least until your comp in May.

But in the other two lifts, you humble the sh*t outta me.

Sigh, so true. Although last time you posted your 1RM max it was 455 which is not far off from 440. :D We'd be slightly less far behind. At least until your comp in May.

Ahem...it was 475. *tooting horn*

I became a member of the 1200lb club this morning. Here are my new 1rm's:

Squat: 425

Bench: 325

Deadlift: 475

Was actually about to say, I see your Andy Gates and raise you a Knightwatch at 455, but now I see that chairohkey can do the same. This will be my goal! Determined to hit that 2xBW!

Ahem...it was 475. *tooting horn*

Doh! I was referencing the DL leader board. I stopped looking at your battle log because it made always want to go lift. Does it count if I hit the same body weight multiple? I'm a smaller guy. :victorious:

Was actually about to say, I see your Andy Gates and raise you a Knightwatch at 455, but now I see that chairohkey can do the same. This will be my goal! Determined to hit that 2xBW!

Really KW is at 455 now? Dang it. I thought he was down at like 425. Someone needs to update the leaderboard.

Sounds like fun then! I guess that means I'm in. And good for me to compare against my recent 1RMs which I conveniently happen to have handy. :D

Oh, I should point out that the Wilks formula doesn't take age into account. For masters (age 40+) there is an additional coefficient called the McCulloch Age Coefficient which is multiplied to the result of the Wilks number. There is a different coefficient for each year of age starting at 40 (same for men and women.) So for a masters lifter the final calculation is:

(Total of Best Lifts) x (Wilks coefficient) x (McCulloch coefficient) = McCulloch Age Total

I bring this up because I'm a nerd, and at age 43, I need all the help I can get. ;)

Ha! I'll take that help too... Andy, you going to fix the spreadsheet?

Edit: I want my multiplier!! 52 1.165

Edited by wildross

Yay! I noticed this in some of the results I saw. GREAT suggestion :)

Who told the old folks that they can cheat... and by cheat, I mean "use math".

LOL... it's been my lifelong peeve that smaller people get judged to be *better pound-for-pound*. Now that I finally get a little extra help, I'm taking it.

Last time I checked, my adjusted was higher than your ;) Although I don't know how that 425 squat is going to skew things now hah

And I doubt I'm going to participate. Considering I'm no longer low-bar squatting, I doubt I could hit my max right now. :(

Who told the old folks that they can cheat... and by cheat, I mean "use math".

When we were young, we invented the math...we'll let you use it if you behave yourself :-)

LOL... it's been my lifelong peeve that smaller people get judged to be *better pound-for-pound*. Now that I finally get a little extra help, I'm taking it.

Hey, at my body weight the only way I get to join the 1000lb club is if I hit triple bodyweight squats and deadlifts and double bodyweight bench press.

Though I suppose that to be able to lift that much weight I'll have to add a fair amount of muscle, which will make me heavier, which will make those multiples lower...

Alrighty then... I'm signed up (84+kg female group... yay?) Let me put it this way... I have NO idea what I'm doing. But, damn it all, if I don't try something new, how will I ever know what I am capable of?! Here's to a few weeks of training and then lifting!

My question about this virtual PL meet is, how consistent could the standards be? In a PL meet obviously they have judges watching you to check squat depth (I saw a lot of people miss lifts because of that), not hitching your deadlift, etc. Also you have to pause at the bottom of your bench press and wait for the command to press. Makes it a whole different lift from just bouncing it off your chest. The standards can really make a difference in what the numbers will be...

This is more for fun. Obviously we don't have judges, so we have to judge ourselves.

The standards as close to normal powerlifting standards as possible (pg 17-20 here: http://www.powerlifting-ipf.com/fileadmin/data/Technical_Rules/IPF_rulebook_01_2011.pdf)

But I mean, we're giving ourselves 4 lifts each, so having a bit more fun with it. It's really for everyone to test their 1rm's and have a good time doing it :)

This is partially true - CF will make you stronger up to a certain point, but the goal of CF is more generalized strength, where powerlifting is a specialized sport. CF will only take you so far with that. I did CF for 2 years and I've also lifted in a powerlifting meet (as well as a couple of Olympic meets). At the beginning of the year I left my CF affiliate (mostly due to scheduling issues resulting from a job change) and wound up lifting at a dedicated strength & conditioning facility closer to home, where I was able to train specifically for the PL meet. Even though I only trained that for a month, it made a huge difference and all of my lifts increased. Not only from doing max effort training on those lifts, but also from doing assistance exercises like rack pulls, bench lockouts, working with chains and bands, etc. Even though my CF box had more of a strength bias, I think it would have been difficult to train PL and see any increase in my lifts.

Just to give you an idea of numbers, when I left my CF box my lifts were:

Squat: 155 (high bar)

Bench press: 115 (without a pause at the bottom, but a pause is required in a PL meet)

Deadlift: 230

After training those lifts specifically for 4 weeks, at the meet (in the 60kg weight class):

Squat: 170 (low bar)

Bench: 121 (with the required pause)

Deadlift: 250

Not to discourage any CF'ers from lifting in a meet, because just by doing CF you already know the lifts, although the technique and logistics for doing them in a PL meet is probably somewhat different from what you learned. And participating in a meet is a great goal, and just fun! But to maximize your results in a specialized activity, you need to be training for that specifically.

As for this - it really depends on who you are, what you do at crossfit, and what training you do in addition to it. Don't want to start an argument about it (sorry, I feel like I have to stay that whenever CF is the topic :) )- obviously if you're training for powerlifting specifically you are going to do better at powerlifting than if you weren't.

It's the same as someone who is training to run a marathon - obviously you're going to have a better time if you JUST train for the marathon and don't do CF in addition.

I do CrossFit but my main focus is strength. I care more about my deadlift than my Fran time.

I make it work, but my crossfit allows me to work around the WOD and such to do that. Sure, if I didn't do ANY crossfit I may be a little bit stronger, but that's fine with me. :)

As for the purpose of this - it's more on individual progress (ok, ok, with a bit of friendly competition built in), and the goal of CrossFit IS to get you stronger (just as well as a lot of other goals :)) so I want ALL of our NF CrossFit athletes taking part :)