• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

spezzy

Spring Strength Showdown (a NF Virtual Powerlifting Meet!)

Attempts are in the spreadsheet but I ended up hitting a 183 squat, 119 bench and a 205 dead for a 507 total - what up 1100lb club.

Someone beat me.

Damn, nice. You got Santa beat.

Attempts are in the spreadsheet but I ended up hitting a 183 squat, 119 bench and a 205 dead for a 507 total - what up 1100lb club. Didn't take my last two deadlift attempts as my back was pretty well cooked by the time I got to deads and 205 felt plenty hard (also C&J'd about an hour before starting this lol and did a lot of Oly pulls this week).

Someone beat me.

Very impressive Mr. Danger! I probably won't beat you but I like having another person to surpass.

*sigh*

Well, obviously I'm not trained as a powerlifter, and I've always known that my squats don't quite get to parallel. In preparation for this event I tried to bridge the gap, but it didn't come through in the lift. Even on my 'safety' rep, I'm still an inch or two high. I think I was actually a touch better on my big lift. Either way, they're not legal. Add that to the fact that I'm not pausing in the bench, and I think I'll just disqualify myself. It's okay. I did what I aimed for, and surpassed my goal lifts and beyond, if with my current technique. I think this will have broken some mental barriers, so I'm excited about my training going forward. I'll keep trying to add some depth for next time. My best lifts today: Squat 485 lbs, Bench 255 lbs, Deadlift 525 lbs. Good luck everyone!

I was assuming nobody would be planning to pause during the bench in this virtual competition, since we don't have anyone giving commands like a real meet.

I was assuming nobody would be planning to pause during the bench in this virtual competition, since we don't have anyone giving commands like a real meet.

True. Well... This can double as my form check video. Heaven knows I probably need it after a decade of no one with a good eye for lifts taking a look at them. And yes, for fun and motivation, I lifted in my kilt.

Edited by Book
fixing link

Got mine in today. I only hit about 95% of my previous maxes, but I'm pretty happy with that, considering I haven't been training those much lately. Spreadsheet updated!

*sigh*

Well, obviously I'm not trained as a powerlifter, and I've always known that my squats don't quite get to parallel. In preparation for this event I tried to bridge the gap, but it didn't come through in the lift. Even on my 'safety' rep, I'm still an inch or two high. I think I was actually a touch better on my big lift. Either way, they're not legal. Add that to the fact that I'm not pausing in the bench, and I think I'll just disqualify myself. It's okay. I did what I aimed for, and surpassed my goal lifts and beyond, if with my current technique. I think this will have broken some mental barriers, so I'm excited about my training going forward. I'll keep trying to add some depth for next time. My best lifts today: Squat 485 lbs, Bench 255 lbs, Deadlift 525 lbs. Good luck everyone!

Great work!! I didn't even know about the pause on the bench last time. And until I actually do a competition, I don't really care that much...

Got mine in today. I only hit about 95% of my previous maxes, but I'm pretty happy with that, considering I haven't been training those much lately. Spreadsheet updated!

Still some great numbers gymell!

Awesome work Book, great numbers, even if you squat didn't quite go parrallel! I'm not planning on the pause in the bench either at this stage. I say post those numbers, it's a fun meet, not a strict comp.

Okay... I think it's fixed now.

I guess I'm a luddite.

Great lifts man. It's hard to tell with the lighting and dark clothes but that squat doesn't look that high. If it isn't parallel it's damn close. I'd like to see some more hip action on the deadlift. It isn't bad but I suspect it could be better. Think about keeping your hips low and driving them forward through the whole lift. I'd also work on minimizing the hyperextension at the top of the lift. Good work regardless, those are legit numbers.

Yeah, the beauty of just starting out is that every day is a PR ... and that's FUN!

I was just talking about this with hubby~

Since I'm so new at lifting, I get really excited EVERY time I add weight, even if it's only 5lbs at a time!

I'm so happy I found a place I can proudly be a wimp, because everyone is so supportive & everyone has to start somewhere!

Great work!! I didn't even know about the pause on the bench last time. And until I actually do a competition, I don't really care that much...

Thanks, man. Yeah, even though I knew about the pause, I wasn't really planning on doing it. I'm happy as long as I'm not bouncing it off my chest.

Awesome work Book, great numbers, even if you squat didn't quite go parrallel! I'm not planning on the pause in the bench either at this stage. I say post those numbers, it's a fun meet, not a strict comp.

Thank you. I did do better than I thought I would.

Great lifts man. It's hard to tell with the lighting and dark clothes but that squat doesn't look that high. If it isn't parallel it's damn close. I'd like to see some more hip action on the deadlift. It isn't bad but I suspect it could be better. Think about keeping your hips low and driving them forward through the whole lift. I'd also work on minimizing the hyperextension at the top of the lift. Good work regardless, those are legit numbers.

Thank you. I've stared at the video a dozen times now just willing my hips to drop that extra inch, but for some reason, I never do. And thank you for the critique. My lower back is disproportionately strong, which is why I do tend to cheat (unintentionally!) by raising my hips. I'll think about driving the hips as you said next time I'm working deadlifts. And yes, I see what you mean about the hyperextention. I think I'm just so excited to get the lift that it's an over-exaggeration of the completed lift.

I think you win for being the best dressed lifter.

And while a tad shallow, it's still damn close. Impressive!

Thanks, I'll take any win I can get, although maybe this is just throwing down the gauntlet? A lot of lifters have still yet to go.

He may want you to wear one made out of spandex...

I can't wait to see that spreadsheet full of glorious numbers. It looks quite bare at the moment.

Heh, we should have a NF strength training Halloween contest. Lift in a costume. Best costume gets a t-shirt :D

ETF already pulls off the ninja look pretty well in his gym videos. I think you got something there! Should I break out my Beetlejuice, Punisher, or The Crow costume?? Hmm.....