Skywalker GETTING SHIT DONE

I have been reflecting on my previous challenges and have noticed many recurring themes.  Not eating shit, being more productive and being kind to myself.

I've just reviewed my full challenge sheet and have re-adjusted some short term goals with the view to making some real progress and not just talking about it.  I'm not going to be unrealistic about all things. keep it simple and achievable and just GET SHIT DONE.

getshitdone.png

Goal one -  CUT OUT THE CRAP

This is the one I've been most reluctant to take head on and taking a softly approach hasn't worked. 

Here's the plan:

Food Plan

Rock Breakfast - This is a no-brainer.  Pick and stick a few easy breakfasts

Routine lunch - I've got this one pretty much already (soup or salad)

Pre-dinner snack - I've done this before with some success.  The idea is not to get home starving so a piece of fruit or other pre-planned snack for the car trip home

Dinner - Have a few go to meals either pre-made or pre-thought out for when there is nothing on the go when I get home.

No other snacks.  No after dinner, no biscuits or cakes at work, no icecream on the way home or snack from the servo.

Motivation plan

Recuit my gym buddy colleague to be my at work accountability.  She is the one that most leads me astray (apart from the biscuit jar) so if I recruit her I'll have someone to make me accountable and she will have my back on the needless cakes and free food.

Tell my family I'm not eating crap.  (although sometimes I feel this leads to sabotage,) but this time I'm GETTING SHIT DONE and not pussy-footing around it

Goal two - GET BACK ON THE LIFE LONG LEARNING

I lost motivation on this when I decided I wasn't going to go down the whole certification route but the reason I decided was that it was only really a vanity certification and I have other things to spend good money on.  I've got my eye on an online course that work would pay for but I want to get back in the habit of a few Edx sessions a week.

Learning Plan

3 weekday sessions and 1 weekend session of at least 40 min each per week

Goal three - STRETCH AND STRENGTHEN

I'm not having any particular intense fitness goals.  I do have an awesome bike ride planned in Sept and I'm planning on getting back on the bike around July (over the worst of winter).  I want to do a bit of preventative maintenance in particular lower back and a rather troublesome coccyx.  Dr Google has given me some yoga, stretching and strengthening exercises to do.  I'm also planning on some massages.

Stretching Plan

Develop a daily routine (still need to finalise)

Incorporate some of these stretches into work gym sessions

Massage once a week (this will be good but I hate spending the $$)

Goal four - GET SHIT DONE - PRODUCTIVITY

I really want to work on my productivity but don'T have any firm plan.  Is this ironic or just a symptom of needing to be more productive?

Here's what I am thinking about:

Go to bed early to make it easier to get up and have time for a morning routine.

I'm not an early person so I've never had a morning routine past get up, get to work.  Therefore if I am up early I just tend to get to work earlier

Not sit around watching hours of senseless TV after work with hubby (study time helps with this)

I tend to be a bit of a workaholic - so I would like to set some boundaries about work hours and making sure the time I spend there is productive.

Productivity Plan

watch this space

Good job its week zero - a few days to firm this up.  Any suggestions or hints would be appreciated.

• Like 2

Skywalker

Progress woot: Skywalker's success

Character Profile:  Skywalker

Blog:  Just Get Moving

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

New Challenge Hype!

tenor.gif

So goal four - are you aiming for work or home productivity? I'm a big bullet journal fan and it has done wonders for me on both accounts! Since I'm only home weekends, I write out all the chores I want to accomplish and cross them off as I do so. It's so nice to see a crossed off page by the end of the weekend!

For work, I've got an ongoing "3 things" policy in effect that has worked wonders. I make sure that every day I fully complete (well, to the best of my ability - I wait on vendors for things a lot) 3 things. It's really helped me with work / life balance too, because - while most days I complete more than that - it helps me feel much better about stopping my work. I've also started scheduling e-mail time. I read an article about how we end up wasting a lot of our day responding right away to e-mails. So unless it is sent with high priority, I don't open it until I hit my e-mail time. 

• Like 1

Looks awesome! Following, of course.

9 hours ago, Skywalker said:

Develop a daily routine (still need to finalise)

I have a few suggestions, if you're open to them.

• Like 1

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals More

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle Earth

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

18 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

So goal four - are you aiming for work or home productivity? I'm a big bullet journal fan and it has done wonders for me on both accounts! Since I'm only home weekends, I write out all the chores I want to accomplish and cross them off as I do so. It's so nice to see a crossed off page by the end of the weekend!

I have been working on my time management at work.  After a slow start I feel I've made some progress here but I'm heading into a busy period so this will be the test. I've be practicing the email scheduling, compiling my tomorrow to do list before I go home and I also have to manage an incident job logging, so I prioritise 5 of these to do today so I'm not reviewing the list each time.  Good point though about giving yourself permission to stop.  I think this is why I struggle leaving on time (along with not having to rushing to pick up children etc)

I'm definately going to aim to leave work by 5:15 at the latest to maximise my non-working hours and to check that my work productivity isn't just logging extra hours.

So home productivity is the main focus.

The bullet journal, I've looked into and it would do my head in.  I use Trello at work so this is where I play around with lists etc.  I find it a bit clunky but am getting in a grove with it.

I checked back on my planning and these where the points I made:  Make good use of available time; Work smarter; small steps towards goals.

I've had success with a giant to do list before.  Sometimes if I'm in a rut and I write this out I'll find the real thing I'm procrastinating about hidden in that list. Maybe I should take a leaf from my new work techniques and have a short period of intense work to feel that I'm getting shit done and then not be as bothered about sitting and watching the mid-day movie on the weekend?

Step 1 - make the list of jobs and things I want to do (so I can include hiking, catching up with friends etc) and if needed break those up to smaller tasks (like I would at work)

Step 2 - assign five jobs (I like 5) to get done on the weekend, with the aim to do five each day.  The focus here is to GET SHIT DONE productively.

I was going to include weekdays in this plan but I have no inclination to do these types of jobs during the week and I have other productive things to do mid week.  Commit to a mid-week schedule and have zero days of doing nothing except flopping on the couch. (Well Friday's might be tough?)

Does that seem like too much?  I'll ponder over this.

• Like 2

Skywalker

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

11 hours ago, Wolfen said:

I have a few suggestions, if you're open to them.

Sure I'm open to your suggestions.  I think your challenges are awesome. 

Last night I tried one of those sleep cycle alarms and it was great. I was up about 40 minutes earlier than I would normally and felt great.  Maybe it was just a first night thing?

I tried doing some stretches in the morning which seemed fine.

What would you suggest?

Skywalker

55 minutes ago, Skywalker said:

What would you suggest?

I have a morning routine that is kind of a combo of these two videos below and I throw in some very amatuer "Tai-chi" sorts of moves:

The key to any kind of movement, including stretching, is to be mindful of the movement and its impact on your body: How/what do you feel during the movement? How/what do you feel after the movement? etc. My routine is actually very similar to the first one, but I finish up with the deep squat breathing and then do the standing check-in with my body again to see if I need anymore movement.

Both of these guys are great, btw. Both are very well-known in the ancestral health world (that's a real thing, I promise). GMB Fitness also has some great routines, and check out the Animal Flow routine, as well. I incorporate some of those moves into my routine, as well. Again, the key is mindful movement; don't just blindly go through the routine and don't just do it to get it done--really feel it.

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle Earth

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

Thanks @wolfen these videos are great!  I also like this one that I saw after following the link on your thread.  I've definately got a morning routine to try next week.

Skywalker

I've used week zero to firm up these goals, so bring on week one.

Goal one -  CUT OUT THE CRAP

Food Plan

• Routine Breakfast and lunch
  • Pre-dinner snack a piece of fruit or prune snack in the car going home.
  • Dinner - Plan out enough dinners for the week (including some go to solo dinners if needed)
  • No other snacks.  No after dinner, no work snacks.

Motivation plan

1. Recuit my gym buddy colleague to be my at work accountability.  She is the one that most leads me astray (apart from the biscuit jar) so if I recruit her I'll have someone to make me accountable and she will have my back on the needless cakes and free food.

2. Tell my family I'm not eating crap.  (although sometimes I feel this leads to sabotage,) but this time I'm GETTING SHIT DONE and not pussy-footing around it.

Yes, I've told my family and I'll be tough and keep this up!

Goal two - GET BACK ON THE LIFE LONG LEARNING

Learning Plan

3 weekday sessions and 1 weekend session of at least 40 min each per week.

Goal three - STRETCH AND STRENGTHEN

Stretching Plan

Develop a daily routine (still need to finalise) - Done - I've got a daily routine sorted out and the plan is to do this in the morning.

Incorporate some of these stretches into work gym sessions

Massage once a week (this will be good but I hate spending the $$) Did this today

Goal four - GET SHIT DONE - PRODUCTIVITY

Productivity Plan

1. Go to bed early to make it easier to get up and have time for a morning routine.

2. Leave work on time. 5:15 at the latest

3. Mid-week plan 

• 2 gym sessions after work (even if my gym buddy doesn't)
  • 3 Edx sessions
  • Review day (NF update)
  • Lunch organised before bed
  • Spend time with family (hopefully dinner time)
  • 2 dog walks
  • Do morning routine (except if we are doing before work yoga)
4.  Weekend plan
  • Saturday - 2 hour housework blitz
  • At least one Edx session
  • 5 jobs off the house list (a combination of small and large jobs)

Life goals
one blog post this month (Grampians)

These are my final goals.  You will see they intertwine.

• Like 2

Skywalker

Weekend review and the week ahead.

Weekend was OK.  I set myself the 2 hour housework frenze and was happy with the outcome.  I put together my to do list and found one of those jobs that have been annoying me (when someone else was supposed to do it, but at some stage I have to acknowledge that its bugging me more than them).

Thanks to Wolfen I tried a few different mobility videos and put together a 'play list' for a morning session.  Hopefully I'll have this more firmly in my mind soon so I can do it anywhere. 

Food today

Breakfast: Mexican Beans & Egg

lunch:  coleslaw style salad and a sushi handroll

Dinner:  Asian pork tenderloin, small serve fried rice and large serve bok choy.

Snack:  Banana

Edx session done.

Week ahead:

Monday - lunch:  left overs - Get Edx session done and dog walk - Dinner - son is making enchiladas.  I will add a salad

Tuesday - lunch:  Salad if left overs or freezer soup - after work gym - Hubby making Roast Chicken - Edx

Wednesday - morning yoga - Dinner - something with left over chicken - dog walk - State of Origin Rugby League tonight so plenty of family time with hubby watching the Maroons beat the Cockroaches (hopefully)

Thursday - lunch:  freezer soup - after work gym dinner fish? - Edx - Make salad for weekend

Friday - lunch:  salad - Expecting to be going away for the weekend.  Pick something up for dinner on the road (Sushi?)

Saturday - I'm away for two nights.  I'll bring a salad.  Normally have bbq fish and salad for dinner and hiking food for lunch (salmon and salad wrap)

Sunday - hiking lunch home for dinner

Bring it on!

• Like 3

Skywalker

You're looking great @Skywalker. Glad I could help out. Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Last night didn't get to sleep on time. Got caught doing too much study!!

Still got a decent night sleep but had a modified morning routine. Still good to get some mobility work done and packed lunch.

Food:

Breaks: just a handful of walnuts

Lunch: lentil soup with a small serve of left over rice

Snack: Apple

Dinner: vegies with fish

No unplanned snacks!

Feel pleased that even though the planned dinner was a no show, I still made a healthy dinner for one.

Doing some Edx but with a firm bedline.

• Like 2

Skywalker

Got up early and did some mobility.

Lunch gym - legs - good level of intensity (doubt I be sore but left spent at the end of the session.

Planned after work gym BUT forgot a had a meeting off-site which made this a no show.

Food:

Breakfast: 2 eggs

Lunch: tuna, slaw salad with kraut & avocado

Snack: Mandy

Dinner: chicken enchiladas & med serve rice

No other snacks !

Dinner not too vegie but my son put zucchini & mushroom in which is a win in my books.

Edx and off to bed.

• Like 2

Skywalker

Yesterday 

Food:  peanut butter + apple for breakfast (I had early yoga) but didn't feel that great after so I also had a porridge satchet.  Not the best due to sugar.  May need to reconsider peanut butter :(

lunch:  Lentil and Vegie soup

Snack: Orange

Pre-dinner;  Mum had a spell in emergency - so half a toasted sandwich.  Oh well

Dinner:  roast chicken, potato, cabbage and carrot gravy (yum!)

No other snacks.

Spent the evening watching those nasty Cockroaches beat the brave Canetoads in State of Origin (sorry only the North East Aussies would care) and eating a great meal cooked by my son with my FIL and hubby.

Not a late night.

So technically a good day apart from my poor mum not feeling well (she is OK) and a bit rushed with the driving around after work.

I woke up feeling a less motivate than I have so far.  I can't put my finger on why.  

Skipped morning routine but made lunch (win) and breakfast (win).

Food: Breakfast: 2 eggs microwave scrambled

Lunch:  Salad, avocado, sour cream dressing

Dinner:  Left over yesterday dinner

No fruit snack :( 

Exercise:  Lunch gym - arms back/chest and after work cardio - which was a long(ish) slow jog.

I needed to report in today and heading to try and do 20 minutes of Edx which I've been plodding along with.

Tomorrow I'm heading away after work.  My other son (who I work with) is bring lunch in - so that's a suprised.  I'm thinking of picking up sushi hand rolls for dinner (food to take in the car is awkward). 

I'm making a fennel, pear and walnut salad to take to add to dinner on Saturday

• Like 2

Skywalker

Recap.

Weekend was OK.  Not as well planned food wise as I would like which lead to more bread consumed that I planned but overall nothing too bad.  We did some walking but not as much as we would normally do but it was a good weekend to spend time with good friends.

This week is one of my busiest at work and I've let somethings slip.

Food

I've fallen off the 'no snacks' momentum that I had build early last week, so here is my commitment to get back on this one.  I had found it very empowering.

One thing I've been happy with is having good dinner options, even when the planned meals don't happen.  I've stuck with a real dinner including multiple vegetables and haven't fallen back into the 'couple of slices of toast' habit I had slipped into before this challenge.

Breakfasts have been OK (still struggle with good options) and lunches have been solid.  I've pre-made soups and salads so have always had a go to lunch ready to go.

Keep moving

After a skipping a few morning sessions I got back on to it yesterday (Tuesday) and did yoga this morning.

Learning

nup.  I haven't done anything since late last week.  A combination of feeling really tired and not getting around to starting until later in the day.

Productivity

I've kept a few of these going.  I've only had one unnecessarily late night and a few early mornings.

I've done lunch and afterwork gym sessions, even if they may not have been the most productive - it's all about the routine.

Time to reinforce the theme:  GET SHIT DONE!

gsd3.jpg

• Like 2

Skywalker

Sorry I've been AWOL.  Basically haven't spent much time at the computer and updating on taptalk is annoying.

Logged on today to realise that this is the end of the challenge.  I did continue, but without checking in I've definately let some slip.  Here goes:

Food Planning - B+

I definately cemented the Breakfast/lunch routine (Protein breakfast/salad or soup for lunch)

What I'm most pleased about is that for the whole 4 weeks I ate a 'real' dinner every single night including multi-vegies.  To the extent that Hubby put on 'extra vegies' for what could have been a lean dinner.

I liked the the pre-dinner snack even thought I wasn't strict about this.

but . . . after a great no-snacking start I fell off this one.  A bit annoyed with myself because of the whole 'all or nothing' aspect of this this round.

Learning Plan -D

After a few tentative sessions, this I fell off as you can tell by my lack of posts

Stretching Plan - C

I'm calling this a 50%.  Yoga now twice a week,  I did some morning stretches but didn't get it into a routine.  Also incorporate some stretching into my normal day, but far from where I would like to be.

Productivity Plan - C+

I slipped easily back into the 'go to bed early' and did this around 80% of the time.  But didn't really get a morning routine going (which was a major focus)

I'm happy that I left work on time most of the time - Maybe a couple of later finishes, but since this is one of my busier times, I'm happy with this.

I'm very happy with the house jobs during this time.  We have managed to cut two very large jobs of the to do list along with several smaller ones.

Overall my daily routine didn't look too much like the aim at the start of the session.

Life goals
I didn't add a blog post after my trip to the Grampians wasn't quite the hiking trip that I expected.

So while I didn't report back, I did keep going to cement some of those habits that I've been building.

• Like 1

Skywalker