Tourennatrix, Moving along now

Also also, I keep wondering why, at the end of the day when I go upstairs to go to bed, my legs go from "no problem" to "omgwtfbbq imgunnadie." I feel like this should not be so much of a mystery (cue montage of running, swimming, and not eating right to support the "sudden" rush of new activities) XD

• Like 3

Aikido was fun! I'm not sure it's my "thing" per se, but it was enjoyable because my friend was teaching and apparently I caught on pretty quickly :P It was weird to not have mirrors to practice on, but for a first-day, it seemed to go pretty well :)

I learned such vocabulary and movements as:

ai-hanmi (person and opponent facing each other with same leg forward)

gyaku-hanmi (person and opponent facing each other, mirrored)

katatetori (1-hand wrist grab)

ryotetori (double wrist grab)

Ikkyo: 

Tenchi nage:

And also forward and backwards rolls. I may have yelled PARKOUR a few times >.>

• Like 5

WEIRD WEEK WAS WEIRD.

Didn't get nearly as much activity as I wanted, barely studied, but... I did a lot. Went out of town on Monday despite being uneasy about it the night before, and had a good time. Tuesday and Wednesday were just full, and Thursday was a therapy day followed by Friday which was a recovery day. Yard work has been worked, and I have started working on a really ambitious art project which I am both excited about and really intimidated by. I'm a bit of a perfectionist sometimes when it comes to art, so I really hope I can come up with a finished product that I am happy with despite the fact that It probably won't come out exactly how I imagine it in my brainspace. :P

Tomorrow is a family reunion (joyyy) but I'm hoping I might have time to get a smidge of studying in before leaving town? Maybe? Plz? <3

• Like 6

Week IDK report:

Rounded off with a whopping 4 hours of study time for the week. Not the greatest, but I think I'm ready to hit the books again :)

4/3 days of Activity (Swimming, BWW, "Run," and Aikido)

2/5 days of PT. Also hoping to up this a bit.

There was a lot of crazy going on all week, between mood swings, vet appointments, yard work, and art projects. I'm hoping this week will be a little more chill so I can get more studying done and maybe get the yard to a point where it can be maintained rather than playing a perpetual game of catch up :P

In the coming week, I've got my Activity category cut out for me, but I'm adding a little something: 2 extra instances of yoga. So yoga will not count as a regular activity, but instead will be a nice 'deep stretch session.' 

h7GZZJQ.png

• Like 3

hope your family reunion was legit and amazingly joyful! :D

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

6 minutes ago, karinajean said:

hope your family reunion was legit and amazingly joyful! :D

It was... less awful than I expected it to be :P Almost pretty okay. The side of the family that I straight up just don't know (I think my grandpa's brother's family?) didn't show up, so it was pretty much just the family that I did for real recognize and actually enjoy hanging around. The only big down sides were the noise levels and the fact that the restaurant they picked for this year after year is crap. But that might change next year!

I can't even begin to imagine a family reunion in a restaurant! o_o My mom's side always rents out a pavilion in one of the parks. I think my dad's side have it over at the lake, several relatives have land out there. If it got too loud, it was always pretty easy to sneak off for a bit.

But they all live on the opposite side of the US, so it's been ages since I've been to one.

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

1 hour ago, zeroh13 said:

I can't even begin to imagine a family reunion in a restaurant! o_o

Me neither. My father's side of the family use July 4th as a "reunion" of sorts. We have a picnic at my aunt's house, with open fields in the middle of nowhere in the mountains. And fireworks shenanigans. If we tried to fit into a restaurant, we'd take over the place.

Class! Girafa brought his boys, and one of the on-again off-again students came by as well. I thought I liked having other students there to help take some of the attention off me, but it was really that the energy just shifts. I really hope that this setup works out and WB is able to continue showing up (she had to stop earlier due to health reasons).

Today we primarily worked on fundamentals. Girafa took point on teaching kiddo, and I got to help WB run through a refresher. Basic escapes and some high-guard kicks. She even goaded me into doing an armada!

I don't think I ate enough after class (or throughout the day for that matter, but I couldn't be bothered to make eggs when I got home. I did throw some sweet potatoes in the oven though, and while that was reheating I munched down a bowl of frozen strawberries. Wonderful <3

• Like 4

Catch-up time!

Tuesday:

Went to the school for a BWW: Incline push ups, inverted rows, and leg raises on something akin to dip bars. 

- Observation: as always, need to make core more of a priority. Perhaps I will add this to stuff to look into for next week's routines

I studied my way into chapter 6 (of 10! Half way there!) and hit a road block when I realized this chapter is almost as poorly written & edited as chapter 1 was XD 

Wednesday:

Super rough day, emotionally. But managed to go to capoeira! Just Girafa and I this time, so we spent most of it playing games since it had been a while. He claimed that we were both really rusty, so we should just play. Then after a few games, he said that we weren't so rusty after all... At which point I started making stupid mistakes XD BUT! There were a couple times where I caught him off guard with something (marking a takedown, timing a kick against his blindspot and almost getting him in the face a couple times :D) I even got to call chamada on one of them because I got him so good :3

Thursday:

Super exceptionally rough day, but I got to go talk with C about it. Hands-down one of my top-3 best feeling and most exhausting sessions I've had with him in 2.5 years. It basically involved curling up under a blanket on his beanbag chair, and dealing with... whatever this represents?

m2aTl2T.png

#bujoart

Even though I was so super exhausted, I did go to my friend's Aikido class (because I said I would...) and it was alright. Still pretty sure it's not my thing, but a fun little diversion. I think the only thing I really like so far are the forward and backward rolls *coughcoughparkourcough* BUT I also enjoy studying movement, so I guess it's also fascinating in that it's a new movement vocabulary, and it's just weird because it's so new? 

ANYWHO. I totally overdid it in regards to my shoulder. Rather, I let other people twist my arm a little more than I should have (Because there's no real indicator that I have reached the limit for number of times I can get pinned. Shoulder doesn't speak up until it's too late!). Sleeping was weird because during periods of light sleep (rolling over and the like) my arm would flop around like a noodle... It was like QWOP... Only asleep, and for arms. When I woke up, I spent some time massaging the life back into my arm and proceeded to do a very in-depth PT session. It feels much better now. But yipes, need to not do that again before next weekend's intensive :x

Friday: 

Today I have so far done my PT, studied for 2 hours (slogging through this awful, awful chapter. I swear I am dedicated enough to figure out what the book is trying to say and supplement where needed! Oof.) And I just got done a bit ago with a freeform (no video guide) yoga sequence, which I think is what I needed to get properly grounded and not jump into moves that would be (emotionally) uncomfortable. Overall, feeling much better today :)

• Like 3
On 6/17/2017 at 1:40 AM, tourennatrix said:

BUT! There were a couple times where I caught him off guard with something (marking a takedown, timing a kick against his blindspot and almost getting him in the face a couple times :D) I even got to call chamada on one of them because I got him so good :3

Nice! 

• Like 1

Hi guys. Long time no see >.>

Mostly just dropping in to say that I don't know yet if I'll be setting up a thread for the next challenge. Life has been a little extra... I don't want to say "shitty," because that's not quite it... But it's been not the greatest these last couple weeks. Like to the point where I, yes I, won't even lay it all out under a spoiler tag labeled "emotional bullshit" like I normally do. At least not yet. Suffice to say, it's not been fun to deal with. I'll certainly still be popping in on other people's threads, but we'll see if I get around to setting up my own next week. We'll see...

Now, it hasn't been 100% crap since I stopped posting! There was a capoeira intensive, remember? [paging @SkiBlue!]

Friday: Spent late afternoon/evening hanging out with Girafa, Cupido and Mestre Perere. Went out for delicious burgers, and were joined by Astronaut and Iansa. Later, the guys hunted rabbits [while I did a commendable job of managing my anxiety about guns, go me!]

Saturday: The group (less Astronaut, but plus Rato, Pensador, The Steve, Dentista, Tree, and Dentista & Tree's babies) all went out to the Farmer's Market and put on a demonstration. The Steve and I were the first to be sent into the roda, which was AWESOME because we were in a small picnic shelter, and there were small children sitting on the edge of the concrete. Yes, send the 2 least experienced players out to almost land on the kids, that will get the townsfolk to like us XD. We cycled through some more players and I ended up out a second time, this time against Rato. I was foolish and he took me down and I got a temporary battle scar (picture 2 above).

After the demo, we made our way to the gym. Lots of mini game practices with different opponents with Perere chiming in and correcting where appropriate. Then skillwork: Parafuso in stages. Basically, kinda-sorta 360 in a handstand.

1435942295_upsidedown_breakdancer.gif

(exactly like this)

I got to... a sort of 180 cartwheel type thing. Def need to work on getting my handstands...existing...

We also practiced the various chamadas (a... ritual pause in the game? Often used to be tricky and get people to get too close to defend a surprise attack!)

Retired to Girafa's place for the evening. Rabbit curry, s'mores, and talk of creating a podcast (has been in the works for a while). Good times.

Sunday: Super late start, but it was because a lot of stuff was going on with the starts of said podcast. It sounds like it's going to be pretty awesome. I'm looking forward to them editing and releasing their first few episodes :)

Training involved kicking and hitting a small swiss ball around the room using different techniques, and learning a hand strike (galopante) and what to do if someone comes at you with it, because if someone comes at you with a galopante at full strength, they mean to fuck you up). I almost jacked up my shoulder agaaaain doing it, but, the sequence was fun. It involved headbutting people in the sternum. Good times!

We closed with another roda, this time I got to play Iansa and got taken down a few times (in part because I was pretty exhausted by this point :P) I also got to try my hand at playing the super basic beat on the atabaque (a large drum) which was cool. 

Retired to Girafa's place, ate tacos. Good times.

Overall, super fun. I was pleasantly surprised to get some compliments on my games (I've been feeling pretty crap about them lately since classes have been more sporadic and I have only had 1 consistent opponent to practice with). Especially amused by getting good comments on the first game - I think Perere said that The Steve and I listened to each other which made it flow pretty nicely (for noobs)- this was hilarious because The Steve and I exchanged about 3 words total prior to hopping in the roda. We hadn't even formally introduced ourselves! 

:)

• Like 3
On 7/4/2017 at 0:57 AM, tourennatrix said:

I think Perere said that The Steve and I listened to each other which made it flow pretty nicely (for noobs)- this was hilarious because The Steve and I exchanged about 3 words total prior to hopping in the roda. We hadn't even formally introduced ourselves! 

I don't think he meant listening as in a vocal conversation. Zumbi compares the game in the roda constantly to a conversation between two people; games where people are listening and responding to each other are much prettier and more fun to watch than a game where both players are consistently doing their own thing without listening/responding to their partner. I would take that as some high praise.

Sorry you're going through a really rough patch, but at least the intensive sounded fun! :) Hope things get better soon.

• Like 1
On 7/4/2017 at 1:31 AM, zeroh13 said:

There is something very disturbing about this gif... (It's not just me, right?)

oh god oh god oh god no

• Like 1

"We can be heroes"

Level 13 Assassin | climbing | meditating | running | writing | bodyweight training | kickboxing | Backyard gym project

Current Challenge39 | 38 | 37 | 36 | 35 | 34 | 33 | 32 | 31 | 30 | 29 | 28 | 27 | 26 | 25 | 24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 1716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

35 minutes ago, SkiBlue said:

I don't think he meant listening as in a vocal conversation. Zumbi compares the game in the roda constantly to a conversation between two people; games where people are listening and responding to each other are much prettier and more fun to watch than a game where both players are consistently doing their own thing without listening/responding to their partner. I would take that as some high praise.

Sorry you're going through a really rough patch, but at least the intensive sounded fun! :) Hope things get better soon.

Oh he was absolutely talking about the conversation of the game! Just super amused that it happened with no prior contact (or, because of no prior contact?)

• Like 1
17 hours ago, tourennatrix said:

or, because of no prior contact?)

I think maybe it's this. If we have prior contact with a person, and especially if we've seen them fight or dance* before, I think we automatically categorise and apply our own prejudice towards that person and their movement. If we've never observed the person we are forced to listen and pay attention to the other person with a more fresh and unbiased mind.

When you work with someone for a long time the opposite can happen. We learn the tiny cues and ticks of the other person, so it seems like we're really in tune with the other person, when in fact we're not even listening anymore, we're just forward projecting and responding on autopilot. 

*I draw parallels from social dancing here

• Like 2