• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Machete

Machete's Hierarchy of Needs: Physiology

Maslow's%20Hierarchy%20of%20Needs.jpg

So we're all probably familiar with Abraham Maslow's hierarchy of needs. One might notice that it is usually shown as a pyramid, and as Louie Simmons said, a pyramid can only be as high as its base. Performing a self-audit, I noticed how I don't practice what I preach. I'm always droning on about the basics and building a solid foundation before getting fancy. I'm trying to help others self-actualize when I've bypassed a lot of steps myself; I've build an incredibly flimsy pyramid with barely any base to stand on. That might be why I go through every day feeling like I barely made it and life always feels like a walk on the tightrope (while it's on fire, and the supports are on fire, and I'm on fire). No wonder adulting is hard.

hqdefault.jpg

Foundation-Building

* I'm looking to put together a child's daily, weekly, monthly task list. Shower, brush your teeth, bedtime, take your vitamins, eat breakfast, drink water, etc. I realized it's stuff I've either forgotten or never learned. Looking for suggestions. Parents of young children, do you have a particular checklist? I'd like to figure these out before moving on to adult tasks (or maybe even adolescent first). 

Some startup quests to be adjusted as necessary as the weeks progress:

AIR - breathe / meditate for 5 minutes a day. (I have Headspace and Calm. Looking for suggestions regarding which to use.)

FOOD - batch cook 12 meals on Sunday.

SLEEP - track sleep and get 56 hours a week.

Google Docs Tracking Sheet

• Like 5

Main quests edited. Basic shit.

Hit Murph RX today. I might float around in the pool tomorrow, and get some FL and H going. If I feel up for it I'll hit up another Murph on Monday, since I believe I've been invited and it's my GB deload week anyway.

• Like 2

Looking like it's Calm for me. Headspace is 10 minutes, which is twice as long as I intend.

Still sore from yesterday. Got my 8 today, on the dot. Good start. Now to cook and breathe...

• Like 2

Sometimes we have to go back to basics.

Following.

I use Insight Timer for meditation because of its extensive library of free guided meditations and its timer.

Let me know if I can help.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2017 at 10:31 PM, Wolfen said:

Sometimes we have to go back to basics.

Following.

I use Insight Timer for meditation because of its extensive library of free guided meditations and its timer.

Let me know if I can help.

I'm doing a free trial of Calm. Might try Headspace after. Trying to get into it long-term, and I seem to do well following systems (because I'm a sheep). I'll look into Insight Timer as well. Thanks. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Machete said:

I'm doing a free trial of Calm. Might try Headspace after. Trying to get into it long-term, and I seem to do well following systems (because I'm a sheep). I'll look into Insight Timer as well. Thanks. 

I like Headspace personally, but I've heard lots of good things about Calm - and if Headspace is longer than you have time for, that's no good.

This is going to sound flip, but it's not: have you ever tried just setting an egg timer for 5 minutes and meditating until it dings? Sometimes I'm not in the mood for the Headspace voice in my ear, and this is what I do on those occasions. It's hard, but... in a good way. If none of the apps seem to fit just right, try to simplify your goal even further.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ICB said:

I like Headspace personally, but I've heard lots of good things about Calm - and if Headspace is longer than you have time for, that's no good.

This is going to sound flip, but it's not: have you ever tried just setting an egg timer for 5 minutes and meditating until it dings? Sometimes I'm not in the mood for the Headspace voice in my ear, and this is what I do on those occasions. It's hard, but... in a good way. If none of the apps seem to fit just right, try to simplify your goal even further.

Seconded, and Calm has that functionality too. +1 recommendation for Calm. If you do podcasts, "I should be meditating" is solid stuff. 

http://ishouldbemeditating.com/category/podcast/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ICB said:

I didn't know that! +1 Calm for @Machete's purposes, then.

I'm always on the hunt for good podcasts, and meditation is one area I need help with. Thanks!

Alan Klima man, dude has a face perfect for radio, but he's been so helpful in learning to meditate.

On 5/30/2017 at 4:56 PM, ICB said:

I might try both. It turned out to be both 10 minutes.

On 5/30/2017 at 4:59 PM, Laghail said:

Seconded, and Calm has that functionality too. +1 recommendation for Calm. If you do podcasts, "I should be meditating" is solid stuff. 

http://ishouldbemeditating.com/category/podcast/

Perhaps. I'm super backed-up on podcasts at the moment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vacation last weekend. Lots of job training and continuing education this week. I indulged my training ADD a bit by signing up for Quinn Henoch's Clinical Athlete course close by. Old CrossFit coach also just gave me a pair of Rogue parallettes, which I feel kind of guilty for taking because I haven't been at the gym in 6 months. Great guy; I think I just watch too much House Of Cards and read too much into Power: The 48 Laws. Some people are probably just genuinely nice. (I'll probably have this belief until I get conned by someone again. #IdiotProblems)

58d338f580fdda743a6aebaecdc4e9bf.jpg

Food was prepped. It worked out really well. Got the stuff to prep today. More chicken and some Korean beef. Chicken has been on the daily menu the past 2 years. I might have to rotate protein/carb sources for a bit. Also heard Robb Wolf's Wired To Eat, and I'm wanting to try the food tolerance test. Perhaps in time.

Sleep was pretty good. 53 total hours. I found that I waste too much time in bed without really sleeping, so I might enact a no social media in bed policy. We'll see how it goes.

Meditation was a disaster. I got 3 days of Calm, and only one seated. It appears that I'm the only one who does anything in this house, and I am constantly on call. I will try designating a separate cordoned-off meditation area this week.

Onward.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Machete said:

Meditation was a disaster. I got 3 days of Calm, and only one seated. It appears that I'm the only one who does anything in this house, and I am constantly on call. I will try designating a separate cordoned-off meditation area this week.

My $0.02 on meditation - I know a lot of people get a lot out of it and it can be really helpful, but it's not my thing. I find that it's much easier for me to just put on some music and focus on the melodies I hear. So depending on why you are trying to become consistent with meditation, there might be an alternative that would be more helpful for you.

Also, solidarity on being the only one who does anything. /grumble

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Machete said:

Vacation last weekend. Lots of job training and continuing education this week. I indulged my training ADD a bit by signing up for Quinn Henoch's Clinical Athlete course close by. Old CrossFit coach also just gave me a pair of Rogue parallettes, which I feel kind of guilty for taking because I haven't been at the gym in 6 months. Great guy; I think I just watch too much House Of Cards and read too much into Power: The 48 Laws. Some people are probably just genuinely nice. (I'll probably have this belief until I get conned by someone again. #IdiotProblems)

You never do know. Honestly, given that he's a Crossfit coach, he probably makes enough money that he can replace them, and he knows that they'll get good use with you. Of course, it could also be a lure to try to get you back in. So, you watch and wait, and if he starts to get weird and passive aggressive, you'll know. :'D

17 hours ago, Machete said:

Ten minutes of meditation can be an awful lot starting right out of the gate. Maybe, in addition to cordoning off a space, maybe starting with something smaller? Listening to some white noise for a couple of minutes and just counting your breaths?

• Like 1

The worst thing people do when they first take up meditation, is they actually try to meditate. I second Kishi, just go count your breaths first. Don't worry about suppressing thoughts, just let them go without dwelling on them.  Don't worry about finding the perfect quite place either; I do some of my best meditating while stuck at red lights in heavy traffic. 

• Like 3

On 6/5/2017 at 0:19 PM, Sylvaa said:

My $0.02 on meditation - I know a lot of people get a lot out of it and it can be really helpful, but it's not my thing. I find that it's much easier for me to just put on some music and focus on the melodies I hear. So depending on why you are trying to become consistent with meditation, there might be an alternative that would be more helpful for you.

Also, solidarity on being the only one who does anything. /grumble

I don't think it's my thing either, but I figured I've been hammering square pegs in round holes for decades that I might as well keep hammering. I have this thing where my mind won't stop. "If less is more, imagine how much more more could be." Then I'm holding on to way too much stuff, like when you go to the grocery for one thing but end up with a cart-load of stuff with no cart. I'm just looking to follow instructions for like three months, then decide from there.

aq6xp.gif

Haha. Yeah, that's why my blog has like a post every 3 months. I sit for like 20 minutes trying to get in the zone, then once I get my groove and start writing someone kicks the door down because they need to wipe their ass and the toilet paper roll isn't on the mount and they don't know how to operate it like that so I have to install it. I say "Well, there goes my Great Gatsby. You ruined my Great Gatsby, and I'll never get it back. I hope you're happy with yourself." I insert a classic every time I'm interrupted, and after two weeks of doing that I am running out of classic titles.

On 6/5/2017 at 1:02 PM, Kishi said:

You never do know. Honestly, given that he's a Crossfit coach, he probably makes enough money that he can replace them, and he knows that they'll get good use with you. Of course, it could also be a lure to try to get you back in. So, you watch and wait, and if he starts to get weird and passive aggressive, you'll know. :'D

Ten minutes of meditation can be an awful lot starting right out of the gate. Maybe, in addition to cordoning off a space, maybe starting with something smaller? Listening to some white noise for a couple of minutes and just counting your breaths?

I hear the gym box has been blowing-up lately, so I don't think they're really hurting for cash. He just offered after seeing my video of having to do L-sits on kettlebells.

Both Headspace and Calm start with 10 so I have pretty much no choice when if I want to just follow instructions. Haha. I just go to the garage and lock myself in with the mosquitoes. If a guy can do it on fire, I should be able to tolerate a little humidity and bug bites.

On 6/6/2017 at 1:39 PM, ladylydia said:

The worst thing people do when they first take up meditation, is they actually try to meditate.

top-rhymes-two-verses-top.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very busy week. Let me catch up.

I did not let up on the sleep. I got 56 total hours, and found a pattern that I always seem to go to bed after 2300. I will attempt to move this back a bit and get to bet early. Blackout curtains seem to be a tremendous help.

I finished Calm and am moving on to Headspace. I'm just following instructions for now. I'm not getting into the science and the anecdotes of why and how I should be doing it right now. Because this is the attitude I would like from my students.

I have to go to the grocery and prep my meals today. Luckily Monday is usually my day off.

Got hired at the UFC Gym. I'll have to sell more training sessions, which might be easier as personal training appears to be a bigger part of the culture of the gym, as opposed to the group exercise-centric culture in TITLE (which actually seemed CrossFitty). This may be good, since we know that I work best only put in work under pressure. Went through Coaches' training with "Razor" Rob McCullough, who although was a total bro, was very knowledgeable when we totally nerded-out on training concepts. (We had mostly fitness coaches, and only two BJJ black belts and one other fighter. I seemed to be the guy with the exercise AND martial arts background, which really boosts my confidence, and may help me sell myself better.)

Went to the Clinical Athlete Weightlifting Course on the weekend, which was absolutely brilliant. There were a lot of clinicians and physical therapists present, and the concepts taught were extremely useful in practical coaching with out stepping out of one's scope of practice. It was also great because it was very basic, and I wasn't the worst lifter in the group (unlike the Chinese weightlifting seminar I attended), which again did wonders for my self-esteem and will probably keep me Oly lifting longer. Also was able to finally meet new SFG Team Leader Scott Iardella, and that was really cool.

• Like 3

On May 24, 2017 at 1:43 PM, Machete said:

Maslow's%20Hierarchy%20of%20Needs.jpg

So we're all probably familiar with Abraham Maslow's hierarchy of needs. One might notice that it is usually shown as a pyramid, and as Louie Simmons said, a pyramid can only be as high as its base. Performing a self-audit, I noticed how I don't practice what I preach. I'm always droning on about the basics and building a solid foundation before getting fancy. I'm trying to help others self-actualize when I've bypassed a lot of steps myself; I've build an incredibly flimsy pyramid with barely any base to stand on. That might be why I go through every day feeling like I barely made it and life always feels like a walk on the tightrope (while it's on fire, and the supports are on fire, and I'm on fire). No wonder adulting is hard.

hqdefault.jpg

Foundation-Building

* I'm looking to put together a child's daily, weekly, monthly task list. Shower, brush your teeth, bedtime, take your vitamins, eat breakfast, drink water, etc. I realized it's stuff I've either forgotten or never learned. Looking for suggestions. Parents of young children, do you have a particular checklist? I'd like to figure these out before moving on to adult tasks (or maybe even adolescent first). 

Some startup quests to be adjusted as necessary as the weeks progress:

AIR - breathe / meditate for 5 minutes a day. (I have Headspace and Calm. Looking for suggestions regarding which to use.)

FOOD - batch cook 12 meals on Sunday.

SLEEP - track sleep and get 56 hours a week.

Google Docs Tracking Sheet

This is SO MUCH like what I've been doing! So incredibly much! Oh my goodness! A thousand kudos.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 0:45 PM, Machete said:

I did not let up on the sleep. I got 56 total hours, and found a pattern that I always seem to go to bed after 2300. I will attempt to move this back a bit and get to bet early. Blackout curtains seem to be a tremendous help.

Agreed. Sleep is super easy when you don't have a light coming in on you.

Frankly, that's why I want to cover the windows of my room with tinfoil. It's cheap solution, and it works. But my parents won't let me. Tch. Like they own the place. XD

Congrats on the new hire! So are you only working for the UFC gym now, or are you working at TITLE as well?

• Like 1

On 6/13/2017 at 11:12 AM, Solunaria said:

This is SO MUCH like what I've been doing! So incredibly much! Oh my goodness! A thousand kudos.

I'm going to have to follow yours, because I am sucking at this.

23 hours ago, Kishi said:

Agreed. Sleep is super easy when you don't have a light coming in on you.

Frankly, that's why I want to cover the windows of my room with tinfoil. It's cheap solution, and it works. But my parents won't let me. Tch. Like they own the place. XD

Congrats on the new hire! So are you only working for the UFC gym now, or are you working at TITLE as well?

Tinfoil is very useful. All my hats are lined by it. I used heavy blankets and old Amazon boxes to cover the windows in the previous apartment. Didn't do much to quiet the neighbors who loved to party.

Thanks. Facility hasn't opened yet, but I'm wrapping-up my last few sessions at TITLE, as I will be leaving that job. I have a few members who are quite upset about that, which tells me some people actually listen to me over there.

• Like 2

So far sleep has been good, but I've been largely unsuccessful in moving back my bedtime. I might have to have a log of what I do at night so I can determine what I'm spending my time on, and address as necessary.

Batch cooking went to shit. I decided to cycle our protein source and got pork this week instead of the usual chicken, which has been a constant for 2 years. (Saw a pork and green beans dish on @Urgan's Instagram and copied it and the family seemed to like it, so that's going to happen more.)

I'm starting out with Headspace's 10-day intro, and I'll see what I'm going to follow next month. I have a feeling I might eventually go with Calm, since I don't find Andy from Headspace really relaxing to listen to.

Still working on bodyweight strength with GB (I might be maxing-out FL), trying to get some Olympic Lifts at least twice a week, and I'd like to attend more BJJ classes. There seems to be a pull on my hip flexor from a heavy Lunge that's been irritating me for about a month now, but it's not really preventing me from doing anything at the moment.

*Also, does anybody here know anyone with TRX experience? I'm minimally trained and will need to be proficient in it for certain classes I will be teaching.

• Like 3

Looks like you are smashing the challenge.

Super cool that you got to meet Scott Iardella. I love his podcasts, and really enjoyed his book The Edge of Strength.

1 hour ago, Machete said:

So far sleep has been good, but I've been largely unsuccessful in moving back my bedtime. I might have to have a log of what I do at night so I can determine what I'm spending my time on, and address as necessary.

I know this feel. Being caught between having enough and wanting more and not knowing what to change to get it. I wish you success in that game - it's a hard one.

(It's like Dark Souls. "You are going to sleep." OH YES, PLEASE, LET THIS HAPPEN)

Watch that hip. Hip pulls are no joke.

On 6/16/2017 at 1:36 PM, Elastigirl said:

Looks like you are smashing the challenge.

Super cool that you got to meet Scott Iardella. I love his podcasts, and really enjoyed his book The Edge of Strength.

Super cool guy. And I didn't expect him to be my size. He went over to me during picture time saying "hey, we're up front." Haha. Now I really have to do his R21.

On 6/16/2017 at 3:00 PM, Kishi said:

I know this feel. Being caught between having enough and wanting more and not knowing what to change to get it. I wish you success in that game - it's a hard one.

(It's like Dark Souls. "You are going to sleep." OH YES, PLEASE, LET THIS HAPPEN)

Watch that hip. Hip pulls are no joke.

Hip, neck, back, finger. It's all falling apart (my body).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been getting the hang of meditation; it doesn't feel like such a big ordeal anymore. (If I miss no days, I'll be able to finish Day 10 by the end of the challenge period). I even snuck in a session right before BJJ yesterday, and I had a some good rolls in, so I might start doing that.

Food has been challenging, as I'm playing a bit of catch-up. It looks like we're going back to chicken.

I might be sleeping too much the past few days. Still going to bed late. I note that I may be lifting too late, probably because of the heat during the day, and not having food ready for dinner.

Still blasting through FL 1-2 times a week. Handstand and Tumbling 1-2 times a week as well, which is why I've put off HBP. I'd like to incorporate some variation of Weightlifting just to maintain technique, but also would like to build some straight brute strength I can use on the mat. I'm looking to compete again this year, perhaps get 2 or 3 local meets before going for an IBJJF tournament, so I should probably get my attendance taken care of first, since I've only been going 1-2 times a week for the past year--I'm surprised people aren't just mopping the floor with me. I'm definitely hiring a coach once my credit card debt gets paid, because this is ridiculous.