NerdHammer - Age of Darkness

NerdHammer

What is NerdHammer?

NerdHammer, originally run by @DarK_RaideR was based in the fantasy world of Warhammer. Participants completed various exercises to grow their armies and battle one another for control of the map. 

My goal for this iteration of NerdHammer is make the game available to everyone. I have achieved this by not only simplifying the mechanics of the game, but by implementing various levels of participation that will allow everyone to enjoy NerdHammer and learn the rules, without worrying about knowing everything from day 1.

Think of NerdHammer as a game of risk, with some strategy game mixed in.

How does it work?

From Sunday to Friday you will track your exercises using the spreadsheet I have created. Over the course of the weekend movement and battles will be declared, and after the dust settles the map will change. 

Whichever faction controls the most territories wins the game at the end of the 6 week challenge.

How do I start?
You begin by picking your involvement in the game, as defined below.

Faction Leader - A faction leader is responsible for the deployment and movement of their entire factions troops on the world map. Along with being involved with the creation of battle strategies. However their certain A.I. options that can be used to aid you with every step of this.

Mercenary - A mercenary earns resources and recruits troops just like a faction leader. However they are not responsible for the movement of troops on the world map or battle strategies. This is a great way to enter the game without too much time investment.

After you have determined your level of involvement enter your name on the roster tab. Feel free to describe your units. Your faction or mercenaries can be any fantasy force you choose! The Men of Gondor, Deceptacons, or Space Marines for Warhammer 40k. It is all up to you!

After this, create a duplicate of the tracking sheet and rename it to your username. you are now part of the game!

Earning Resources
I have worked hard to create a spreadsheet that will simplify the process of tracking your exercises. The sheet will calculate how many resources you have gained on its own.

Please see the tracking sheet for detailed instructions on how to use it. Also feel free to ask in the comments below or message @cn3wton

Recruiting Troops
The recruitment of troops is finalized Friday night. After you have finished tracking all your exercises for the week you can easily recruit your troops on the same page! All costs are displayed next to the troop type. 

Please see the tracking sheet for detailed instructions on how to use it. Also feel free to ask in the comments below or message @cn3wton

Role Playing
While completely optional, creative writing to describe your troops arrival on this strange world and how they interact with others can prove to be quite a bit of fun! Feel free to flex your creative muscle! While optional it is highly recommended!

Fighting to Control the Board
By the end of the day Friday you will need to spend your earned resources and recruit troops. Mercenaries should then notify their faction leaders and let them know what troops they have purchased. Faction Leaders will then deploy newly recruited troops on the board, and send movement plans through private message with @cn3wton

Saturday morning I will review all movements and list all of the resulting battles. Faction Leaders must then provide @cn3wton battle plans for these battles.

Battle simulations will be run on Sunday, and results will be posted and the map updated.

Faction Leaders are responsible for redistributing troops on the world map after these battles by Wednesday.

Phases/Rules
Below are the various phases and rules you need to know to participate!

The Fortification Phase
The reinforcement phase happens from Monday to Wednesday after the battles on Sunday. The purpose of this phase is for you to take surviving troops and redeploy them inside of your territory. This allows you to set up for your next attack or to defend your newly claimed territories. Power levels are to be displayed on the cell, and inside a description of the troops within. Please reference the  Reinforce Phase tab in the spreadsheet for more in depth info on how to do this.

Any troops that have not been re-deployed by Wednesday will be automatically deployed on your base without exception. This allows other players the time to prepare accordingly and is to keep everything fair. As always you can always message me with questions or what you are looking to do if you will be unable to reinforce your territories yourself.
  • Like 5

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

This post has been re-purposed to hold the opening story for the first round of NerdHammer.

Opening Story

Winds swept across the planet as dark clouds began to twist and turn. Lightning illuminated the dark skies and what few people lived on the planet cowered in fear. Behind this natural curtain battles seemed to be raging on. Titanic clashes between all kinds. Each flash revealing a different battle. The indigenous people rushed their families to safety in what little shelter they had. Escaping the planet in this storm would prove to be impossible. Their only hope was to pray their shelters proved strong enough.

However one figure stood atop a tower, arms outstretched to the skies in joy. A wicked grin spread across his grotesque face. His filthy dark robes flapped about, clinging to his frail frame threatening to throw him from the tower. He slowly lowered his hands, the time was right. He turned and entered the building, bare feet making not a sound on the cold metal floor. He shuffled in a hurried pace. His excitement driving him forward. He turned into the room holding his masters body and peered in. Half a dozen figures hunched over the body, meshing his masters flesh with dark strong metals. 

A loud crack of lightning accompanied their works completion, and they slinked back away from the table. Huddling as low to the ground as they could. His master did not move, and for an instant he feared they had failed. He moved closer to inspect his masters new form. The head remained much the same. Shaved head, tattoo'd with numerous magic runes and sigils. A great dark beard extended from his chin. The left side of his head was horribly scarred, obscuring his ruined left eye. His body had faired far worse.

Very little of his torso remained. His neck down the majority of his left side revealed an almost skeletal metal structure. Internal organs replaced by crude imitations. His right arm remained, heavily tattooed and corded and enhanced with artificial enhancements. His left arm matched his right in rough shape, but was completely augmented. His legs where greatly enhanced by an underlying mechanical structure, with great plating covering the majority of it.

The robed man began to grow angry, and then a spark flashed from the still corpse. Dark reddish yellow energy began to spread throughout it. The glowing spread beneath the skin and between the cybernetic components. The fists clenched, and the single eye opened. Replaced by a mechanical orb eerily similar to a normal eye. However it shuttered open and closed, adjusting to the light, and glowing the same deep yellow. The figure sat up and looked around the room. The figures cowered and the robed man dropped to his knees. 

Automated servants stepped forward to drape the giant figure in a dark flowing robe embroidered in rich yellows and golds. He looked around the room and motioned for the robed man to rise, his face expressionless. He moved to step forward but his body was sluggish and felt heavy. He turned his head to those prostrating themselves before him and pointed to one. The figure began to scream as the others moved to grab him. They shoved him forward and the the giant looming figure placed his left palm on the figures forehead. The man screamed as the searing yellow energy began to spread throughout his body. The figure began to shrivel until he was just a husk. Steam rose from the withered body and the giant man removed his hand and the sacrafice collapsed at his feet. 

The giant man smirked. "My faithful servants, it is good to be back. Your faith will not go unrewarded. This body..." he looked at his hands "holds much power. And I promise you the coming war will be glorious, unlike anything that has been seen before. Come, for we have much to do!". The figured lined up behind the giant man and followed him to the roof of the tower. The storm was raging now. Several of the figures lost their balance and fell, one even tumbled over the side of the building. But the giant man strode forward to stand on the roofs edge. He raised his hands to the sky and shouted.

"I am Druhn, returned to bring war and destruction to this miserable plane. Hear my call, dark gods, give me the power to bring carnage to this world unlinke anything that this exsistence has never known!" 

A great bolt of lightning struck him, power coursing through his body and back into the sky through his outstretched hands. The sky began to rip open, portals to distant planets and dimensions began to open. Casting entire armies and civilizations onto the world. Thrusting them into a conflict that would surely last a millenia

• Like 5

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

2 minutes ago, Evicious said:

Wow, this looks.... fun! :D I don't know if I'll play this challenge (I need to KISS until I can get back on track again) but I'm definitely going to be asking for this on the next one!

Keep it in mind. My goal is to make this super simple for everyone so it doesnt add an extra burden! I'm considering adding non exercise related items as well. Maybe points for tracking meals each day or something!

The big thing is I want this challenge to serve as a test to get things ironed out. I hopefully will have the map done fairly soon. 

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, cn3wton said:

Oooh and the cavalry could be Dinobots!

Even better. My character is Grill Guard, who transforms into my silver pickup truck that I actually drive. (If he ever gets the matrix of leadership he would become Tanktimus Prime).

Spoiler

20160714_113137_zpsituzfcgj.jpg

20160714_113122_zps5twr6wfn.jpg

• Like 10

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

8 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Clarification, players can only accrue 500 points per week? Or 1500 per week, provided they complete 5 workouts, casually complete 500 reps of whatever movement outside of a workout, and then completes 5000 meters of cardio distance?

Close. There is currently no cap to total for the work. For instance.

I could complete 5 workouts, gaining 500 resources

I could do 500 push ups, gaining 500 resources

I could do 500 squats, gaining 500 resources

I could run 5000 meters, gaining 500 resources

totaling 2k resources for the week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cn3wton said:

Close. There is currently no cap to total for the work. For instance.

I could complete 5 workouts, gaining 500 resources

I could do 500 push ups, gaining 500 resources

I could do 500 squats, gaining 500 resources

I could run 5000 meters, gaining 500 resources

totaling 2k resources for the week.

So, you could theoretically gain additional resources by performing exercises that were not part of your workout, correct? So in your example, 5 workouts would count for 500 so long as they did not include push ups, squats, or running?

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

5 minutes ago, Evicious said:

So, you could theoretically gain additional resources by performing exercises that were not part of your workout, correct? So in your example, 5 workouts would count for 500 so long as they did not include push ups, squats, or running?

Yes. And you arent limited to push ups and squats either. You can do lunges, kettlebell swings, etc.

The big thing is what I dont want people to say ok I am going to do a workout like murph, then "double dip". But also if someone goes in to do a 5x5 bench press program, they are getting compensated for their time. Because while they might not be doing 100 reps that day, they are still putting in the work.

• Like 2

cfe.gif

Paging @ShadowLion, @Xena... uhm.... and probably @EricMN cuz he's a beast. Think he also expressed interest in this. Oh and @Charlie_Quinn if I'm not mistaken? I'll put it up on my challenge thread as well to raise awareness, might wanna consider posting something in the Guild Chat threads as well.

Having set up and run the original Nerdhammer, I can only say it can be easy to get lost in the technicalities. That goes for @cn3wton in setting it up as well as players overthinking their resource gathering.

Needless to say, I'm in.

• Like 3

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (6)🍳🍳🍳🍳Fitness (1)💪,  Gourmet Cooking (2)👨‍🍳👨‍🍳, Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1),  Video Gaming (3), Wellness (1)💆‍♂️

I have added a short story to give the premise of the game. Basically all of your factions have been summoned to this planet/universe to fight one another to appease some dark gods.

And yes the figure in the story will be my champion, leading his own army in the battle. My faction will be the first of the "evil" factions. Do not feel like you have to pick a side (good or evil) because in the end it is basically a free for all. I will add rules for alliances and things like that in a bit. 

(Those of you have played before, yes, this is the same champion from the original Nerdhammer, seeking to dominate the world!)

My faction is loosely based on Warhammer 40k Chaos. But I will add some flair in here and there.

Feel free to get creative with your factions! We already have autobots!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Xena said:

I will be the crazy arrogant high elf. I don't remember her name, but I'll dig it out :-)

Malarielle

More paging, @Chris-Tien Jinn and @Red1263 check this out!

Been thinking of some sort of shambling undead-esque/Necron theme for my army. @Rurik Harrgath calling me a Necromancer all this time must have gotten under my skin...

7yvU7RY.gif

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (6)🍳🍳🍳🍳Fitness (1)💪,  Gourmet Cooking (2)👨‍🍳👨‍🍳, Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1),  Video Gaming (3), Wellness (1)💆‍♂️

I have completed, THE SPREADSHEET, follow the link and create a new tab by duplicating the blank sheet and renaming the copy to your username. I will include a link above with more in depth instructions about what to do with it.

You guys can start tracking as soon as you get the sheet filled out!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Xena said:

I will be the crazy arrogant high elf. I don't remember her name, but I'll dig it out :-)

Good to have you aboard!

5 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Been thinking of some sort of shambling undead-esque/Necron theme for my army. @Rurik Harrgath calling me a Necromancer all this time must have gotten under my skin...

That sounds really awesome! Can't wait to read some of the stories you come up for them too! 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Got my sheet up there.

"Autobots led by Grillguard, who transforms into an F-150 with, you guessed it, a grillguard." I legitimately laughed out loud at my desk at work when I saw this, so awesome! No pressure but I really hope you do some creative writing about these guys too! 

• Like 3

This looks like tons of fun, but I just don't think I have the time to add this one :(

Something this awesome is best not done halfheartedly!

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

6 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

This looks like tons of fun, but I just don't think I have the time to add this one :(

Something this awesome is best not done halfheartedly!

Hopefully youll join us in the next one!

• Like 1

Myrik the Traveller and his legion of Shadowrunners have entered the fray.

Infantry - your bread and butter normal troops. - Sprawl Gangers

Veterans - seasoned veterans with more experience than infantry. - Street Samurais

Ranged - troops that attack from a greater range - Adept gunslingers

Cavalry - mounted or fast moving troops. - Ares Citymasters ridden by weapon specialist

Flying - flying troops - Northrup Wasps

Siege - siege weapons that attack from the greatest range but require defending. - Combat Mages

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Myrik said:

Myrik the Traveller and his legion of Shadowrunners have entered the fray.

Infantry - your bread and butter normal troops. - Sprawl Gangers

Veterans - seasoned veterans with more experience than infantry. - Street Samurais

Ranged - troops that attack from a greater range - Adept gunslingers

Cavalry - mounted or fast moving troops. - Ares Citymasters ridden by weapon specialist

Flying - flying troops - Northrup Wasps

Siege - siege weapons that attack from the greatest range but require defending. - Combat Mages

Awesome! Glad to have you.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I don't know what the Hell is going on here, but I'm in.

WOOT! Basically pick what you want your army to be. Army of clone troopers, army of giant robots, or an army of genetically engineered sloths! Its up to you.

Then start tracking the exercise that you already do! Then if you want you can do extra to get more troops for a better chance at winning!

• Like 1