NerdHammer - Age of Darkness

Finished writing late at night, so apologies for any typos, etc. 

“The attack’s begun, my Lady! Grill Guard and Tourennatrix have begun the assault. The evil that brought us here is distracted with the fighting to the North.” The scout reported, sweat beading in his hairline and along his forehead as he recovered his breath.

“Alright, we’re not going to get a better chance,” Rhovaniel turned to the assembled army, those she was leading with her, and raised her voice. To a man, they fell silent, and her words carried across their ranks.

“Beyond this camp are things far beyond our experience. But the enemy does not have eyes on us. He does not fear us. Other armies may have technology far beyond our own, it is true. But we are not just Rangers. We are Dúnedain! We have the strength of our forefathers, the Kings of old, in our blood and in our hearts. The armies out there that wish to destroy us and our home think us primitive, weak, outmatched by all. But I intend to prove them wrong! Let us go forth, and show the doubters the valour of the Dúnedain!”

The shout that went up at her words was a roar, a wall of noise that reflected all their conflicting emotions. Fear – oh yes, fear was present, but that fear was a positive, something her father had taught her often. Fear gave you motivation, and energy to channel into aggression when needed. There was bloodlust, the drive to get on with it, to ride or run into battle and do what needed to be done. And anger. The anger they all felt, at being brought here against their will. Now was the chance for revenge.

To the South-West, Avorniel could hear the sound of charging hooves and feet as Elladan led his contingent to battle with the undead. She couldn’t think of that. She turned her horse, a pale grey mare named Haleth, towards the dark tower. With a light squeeze to the horse’s sides, they were off, flying over the barren wastelands. And as she rode, Avorniel found herself laughing, the mania of battle descending upon her as she rode to war.

“Avorniel! How went it with you?” Elladan greeted her back at base camp, lending his hand to help her down from Haleth. After a full day in the saddle, Avorniel gratefully accepted his help and winced as her legs took her weight. A young ranger, one of her infantry, came running up to take Haleth to be rubbed down and fed.

“We met with precious little resistance, and initial reports suggest something extraordinary. No casualties. A few wounded, and most of them are either footsore or saddle sore. I’ve sent a couple of the veterans to do roll calls and double check. But there is a clear path to the tower on the western side now.”

“You too? This is beyond my experience! Not a single death on our side either. I had a count done three times. Close to the undead army’s portal, as with you. And not a single loss. By Elbereth, I’ve never known such a blessing.”

“Truly, the Valar graced us today.” Avorniel said faintly. The relief and exhaustion going through her body would have brought lesser women to their knees in weariness, but only the downward turn at the side of her mouth and her heavy eyelids told of the fatigue in Avorniel. She led the way to her tent, Elladan following. Wisely, he refrained from finishing his battle report until he had sent for food and ale. Avorniel flopped into a chair and did not look up from her food until her plate was empty and her third ale was in her hand.

“When we redeploy, I think we need to station –” Avorniel broke off as, from outside her tent, the voice of one of her scouts sounded, announcing herself.

“I bring news for Lady Avorniel.”

“Enter.”

The scout bowed low as she entered, nodding her head slightly towards Elladan, before clearing her throat. She looked tired, and the mud was up to her knees.

“You were sent to scout towards the North-East, were you not?”

“Yes, my Lady. I arrived back just a few minutes ago, as you see me.”

“Take some ale,” Avorniel said, but it was Elladan who got up to serve the young woman from the large jug on the table between them.

“Thank you Sir. My Lady,” she bowed again and whilst she drained her cup, Avorniel found Elladan’s stern face glance her way, reminding her that she had a position to maintain. She stifled her irritation, gestured the scout to a seat and waited.

“My Lady, I do not know if my news is ill or no. But the orc army that allied with the ones in the Tower – they are destroyed.”

“Destroyed? Utterly? What of their leader, the one they call Sloth?”

“Dead, my Lady. I – I saw the magician, the Dark one. He broke the orc’s portal and carried Sloth’s body through another he made. He seems to open and destroy them at will,” she shuddered and her face went pale as if just retelling the horror brought the terror closer.

“Why would that be ill news for us? The orcs have ever been our enemies. We ought to celebrate this good fortune!” Elladan broke in. Avorniel looked at him, but pity, rather than annoyance, was in her eyes. Elladan was a man alone in the world, but he wasn’t always so. His wife had been fair to look upon, and in youth many had courted her, but Elladan was the one she had chosen. Rían was her name. She’d a child, Elladan’s child, in her belly until the orc raid from the mountains had caught her, and many others travelling with her, unawares and outnumbered.

“I do not celebrate this, and neither I think, should you. That the orcs are defeated is welcome news, that I don’t deny, curse their filth. But they were from home nonetheless. Part of our world, of Middle-Earth. I fear what damage this has done to us.”

“But surely –” Elladan began, and then paled as the gravity of Avorniel’s words hit him. “When the portal is destroyed… so is the world.” He said softly. For a long moment, no one spoke, until the scout got to her feet, looking uncomfortable.

“May I take my leave, my Lady?”

“Of course. My thanks for your swift report. Go to your supper and rest. But I command you now, do not share this information with any other. None. I need to consider how best to relay such information.”

The woman bowed low. “As you wish, my Lady. I’ll not breathe a word of it.” She promised, leaving quickly. Elladan let out a groan and put his head in his hands as soon as she was out of earshot.

“What can we do?”

“Nothing.” Avorniel said quietly. “And therefore, we must forget it, for now at least. In a few more days, if the pattern holds true, we ought to be getting more reinforcements through the portal. Perhaps they can give us tidings of what changes the orcs’ defeat has brought.”

“What if none come?”

“Elladan. All my life, from childhood to the woman you see now, you have never once allowed me to give way to despair. I will not let you do so now. I do not think our portal has been affected. At least, it still looks and feels the same. Time will tell, but I feel, in here,” she touched her chest, laying a slender hand against her heart, ‘that reinforcements will come.’

Elladan looked up, and she saw that he smiled a little.

“A student of mine no more, I see. Forgive me, I should not have given myself to such dark thoughts.”

“There is nothing to forgive, my friend. Home is precious to both of us.”

“I must get some rest, by your leave?” Elladan rose.

“Go. Get some sleep. I shall do the same before long.”

“Goodnight, my Lady.” As he reached the entrance, he turned back. “Avorniel? I do not say this lightly. But today you truly were an exceptional leader. None who saw you today can doubt that now. And – the blood of Aragorn Telcontar runs true through your veins. I think you every bit as worthy an heir of that bloodline as your father before you. Nay, as Aragorn himself.”

He was gone before Avorniel could reply. 

• Like 2

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

5 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Lol. A sad ending for me.

Psst that's me saving you because I need help lol

• Like 2

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Just a reminder everyone, if you have not re-deployed your troops from last weekend by the time I check them tomorrow morning I will be placing them on your base unless I receive a message from you!

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

All units have been deployed that where left over.

This should prove to be an interesting weekend! I will be releasing recruitment and movement rules tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Hey guys I'll be extending the movement and recruitment phase until tomorrow morning. I've been crazy busy with this convention. Hopefully I'll get a post up tonight to help get everything stay on track.

A bunch of you have already messaged me which is awesime!

• Like 2

As Autobots come through their portal, the last comes diving through, instead of walking like the others. Flames follow him, and the portal winks shut.

"I thought the portal wouldn't fall unless we were defeated," one of GrillGuard's lieutenants said confusedly.

"It shouldn't, this isn't about the battles here I suspect."

"No, it's not sir, the last recruit through the portal said. Cybertron has fallen, the Allspark is lost, and Optimus Prime and the rest of the Autobots are gone."

GrillGuard contemplated this, his face getting more and more grim, if such a thing were possible for someone with a metal face. "Then we have nothing to lose." Turning to his officers he gave orders that all forces should be amassed against the portal in the center of the field. "I'll meet you there soon," he told them.

Driving off to confer with his allies, he brought them up to date. "We have no home to go to, but the rest of you do. If any of my troops survive this they will be yours to command. It has been an honor fighting alongside such brave and honorable warriors. I wish we had the chance to get to know one another better, for I feel with the chance to enjoy peace together we may have become great friends."

Standing in front of the combined forces of the Autobots, GrillGuard began his speech.

"Autobots, our world has fallen and we have no home to go to. We have a choice, to spend our days slowly decaying, never having the chance to grow again, thinking of things that might have been, or to serve a higher purpose. Optimus often said that 'Freedom is the right of all sentient beings.' Before us stands a tower that would threaten that freedom. Our world may be lost, but we have the chance to give ourselves so that no others must face that fate.

"I ask you to stand with me, stand against tyranny. We have nothing to lose, no need for defense, no call to worry about the future. We have the opportunity to focus solely on the present. We all have brutal urges we have controlled and repressed because we are Autobots, and we choose not to be savages. I call on you today to draw on that primal force in yourself. Unlease the savage. For today we storm the tower with no thought of survival, focusing only on destruction. We give ourselves so that others might live. Reach down deep and throw everything you have at the enemy, leave nothing behind for there is nothing to return to. 

"We are death, we are destruction, we are the judgement against evil. We do not fear, WE FIGHT! TRANSFORM AND ROLL OUT!"

And without waiting even to see the reaction on the faces of his troops, he jumped, turning in the air, transforming and hit the ground at full speed, throwing dirt and gravel in the air behind him as he charged, alone. But he wasn't alone for long...

I'm out after this week, the move and the wedding are obviously precluding participation in the remaining weeks. It has been a blast.

• Like 6

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I will be going through my messages today, as well as sorting out the spreadsheets and resetting them for this week.

If you are unsure as to how to reset your spreadsheet for the week but have been exercising you want to track dont worry, you will be able to place them in after I update the sheets!

• Like 1

I've updated mine right and started tracking for this week, hope that's alright? Let me know if anything's wrong :) 

• Like 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

This week we have one giant battle

The alliance of Tanktimus, Tourennatrix, and Rhovaniel (8500) VS cn3wton and Sloth the Enduring (7300)

It is a sad day for the forces of evil. Besieged on all sides the tower has fallen! While it cost the allies much, the land seems to be cleared of evil. 

So I guess the only question that remains is...

Who could use a merc for the next two weeks? As I seem to be a free agent now!

We are now in the Fortification Phase (previously called re-deploy, but I like Fortification better). You  have until Wednesday to redistribute your armies inside of your territories.

• Like 2

“On your right!” A voice shouted over the din and chaos of battle. Avorniel turned and saw an orc bearing down on her, but no sooner had she cut him down than she realised that the voice – she thought it was an autobot’s voice – hadn’t been warning her about one small orc. Behind him came up a duo of Uruk hai, and even with all her battle experience in the wild places of Middle-Earth, she felt something akin to fear touch her heart. She was tall even for the Dúnedain, reaching six foot one where most of the women sat close to five nine. But the Uruks had at least a half foot on her, and their thick, revolting hides nonetheless revealed muscular, battle-hardened bodies. There was no time to think, no comforting words from her father to draw upon or they would be her last thoughts. She raised her sword to her shoulder yet again, the blade sticky with blood in different stages of drying from countless bodies, and ran at them. Out of the corner of her eye she saw one of the veterans, a man she knew only by sight, outstrip her, and, being nearer to the Uruks, reached them first. His blade met with the one on the left, and Avorniel clashed with the other, driving her blade into the neck, where the armour was weak. Blood flowed down the chest and over Avorniel as she pulled her sword free and spun, just in time to defend against an overhead blow that would have cleaved her skull in two had it connected.

She yelled as her arms took the force of the blow, parried, attacked. Another orc ran up at the Uruk’s shouted command, and in the few, precious seconds it took Avorniel to hew the legs out from under the orc’s body, leaving him screaming in the dirt, the Uruk saw his opening and lunged at her. She turned, but too slowly and he caught her side. It felt like a heavy punch, enough to unbalance her and send her to the ground, but it didn’t hurt, or at least, she didn’t notice it. Pain would come, she knew. But right then, with the Uruk’s putrid breath filling her nostrils with the stench of rotted corpses as he leant over her, the grotesque mouth twisted so that he might have been smiling, she felt only the anger of being bested, the battle lust that drove her to fight against evil now concentrated on this one Uruk. Her sword had fallen from her grip, and she had no time to grope for it. Instead, she grabbed for her leg, pulled at the hilt of the dagger she always kept there and thrust upwards with both hands. The Uruk’s own momentum impaled him further than she could have mustered the strength for, the blood rushing from him and making the body slippery as Avorniel threw it off and rolled to her feet.

The Dúnedain who had come to her aid had fought his last battle. He was still alive, but his torso was marred by an ugly, fatal wound, a deep slice from the Uruk’s heavy, curved blade. She knelt by him, not knowing what to say. He seemed to notice her presence, for the blue eyes, dulled with pain, that had been half closed, opened again. He smiled, but blood foamed from his lips. Avorniel clasped his hand in hers, and his fingers squeezed briefly. When they relaxed for the last time, she gently pulled her hand free and closed his eyes. Muttering a quiet prayer to Elbereth, she got to her feet, remembering suddenly the enormity of the battlefield as she stooped to reclaim her sword. The skirmish with the Uruk hai had drawn her into a bubble, and coming out of it now she surveyed the scene in front of her.

The enemy had brought enough foul creatures of his own, but then came the news that the defeated Sloth had submitted to the dark power that brought them here and out onto the battlefield poured thousands of orc and Uruk hai and other foul creatures. Grill Guard himself was fighting with a balrog and her heart caught in her throat as she saw the extent of the devastation. No time now to mourn the dead, she reminded herself sternly. Replacing the dagger by her side, she went to once again wade into the battle, when the Uruk’s blow finally caught up to her and an overwhelming dizziness temporarily blinded her. Dropping to her knees, she gritted her teeth and looked down. Her armour was pierced at the side and putting a probing finger into the hole elicited a hiss of pain as she felt the warm moisture. Blood. She took a deep, steadying breath. It wasn’t fatal, she didn’t think. And the battle wasn’t over yet. She struggled to her feet, and raised her sword once more. It felt heavier now, and her arms seemed to sag under it’s weight. Nonetheless, she started forward once more, attacking on autopilot until the adrenaline once more overtook her body, numbing the pain and fatigue. Her reactions were not what they were at the beginning of this gruelling, day long battle, however. An orc got in a lucky strike, she blocked too slowly and this time the impact sent her spiralling into unconsciousness. Someone – a mortal, familiar voice – shouted her name, but it sounded far away, as if in a dream, or calling to her whilst she sank beneath calm waters.

“She is waking.”

Avorniel breathed deep, and groaned. A sudden, harsh pain splintered through her side and her head pounded as she tried to sit up. Almost immediately, she found several hands on her shoulders and arms, gently restraining her.

“No, my Lady. The healers say you should not move, for the present.”

Her eyes opened at the sound of the familiar voice. Elladan smiled at her. “It’s alright. You’re safe. We’re back at base camp. Rest.”

The memory of the battle came flooding back to her. The stench seemed to linger in her nose, the veteran’s unseeing eyes staring back at her as she closed them, the blood and cries of agony. Alone, they were nothing new. But never had she been tested in such a large battle before. She swallowed.

“How many?”

“My Lady?”

“How many Rangers did we lose? And what of our allies? I saw Grill Guard fighting a balrog,” she shuddered at the memory.

“There have been no sightings of Grill Guard since the battle. It is too soon still to revisit the battle site.” Elladan said gently. Avorniel closed her eyes, just briefly, and when she opened them she found Elladan ushering the other attendants out of the tent.

“I’m sitting up,” Avorniel told him, bracing herself against her arms and pushing. The pain returned, but more bearable for being expected. Sighing, Elladan reluctantly leant over to help, pushing pillows against her back as she pulled herself upright.

“The battle? Do not tell me we lost none, I closed the eyes of one –” she drew a deep breath, ignoring the stab at her side. “How many?”

“Tourennatrix and Grill Guard sustained similar losses to us, though I believe we have a greater army still, for those issued in defence against the undead hordes were instructed not to engage in this battle. Numbers are hard to be sure of, but we lost maybe fifty in total.”

“May Elbereth keep their souls,” she said quietly.

“May they be enriched for knowing their sacrifice was not in vain.” Elladan added. “We won. The Dark force that brought us here was utterly destroyed in the last.”

“So… what happens now? Can we go home? Has the portal –”

“There is no change to the portal. I had it tested. Forgive me, I acted without your leave but you had only just been carried from the field of battle, and I felt time was of the essence.”

“Nothing to forgive. Carry on.”

“We still cannot pass through it back to our homelands, but I would assume help can still continue to come to us. As for the other matter… We cannot be certain, but he brought Sloth back from utter ruin, and there seems little to stop him doing likewise. It may well be that he regains some power, at the service of one of the other factions, perhaps. Time will tell, but my heart forbodes that we will not be free from this place until the end appointed, whenever that may be.”

“Then we still have work left to do,” Avorniel said grimly. 

• Like 4

Spoiler

Just a reminder, all factions mus redeploy survive troops from last weekends battles tonight.

If they are not placed I will be putting them on your home base tomorrow morning.

Druhn looked over the battlefield from atop his great tower with a wide grin on his face. His troops were outnumbered, and would likely fall. That he knew. 

He looked to the Orc commander he had revived, now imbued with dark energies and wicked mechanical augments he was even mightier than before. It's likely even that would not be enough however, but Druhn did not mind. 

He noticed that the allied force of humans and giant metal beings was giving it their all to defeat him. He could... respect that. Their casualties would be severe, indeed they may not recover in time to fight back their enemies from the eastern side of the tower. But perhaps it would be worth it.

Druhn stretched out his limbs, heaving his giant 2 handed mace to his shoulder. He was going to enjoy this. He stepped from the tower, plummeting down into the thick of the battle before its great gates. He landed atop one of the giant metal beings known as autobots, crushing it beneath him. The impact shattered the ground, and dark energies burst forth from the cracks, obliterating friend and foes alike. 

Druhn rose and began to cut his way through his enemies. With every great swing of his mighty weapon numerous enemies fell. He absorbed their souls as he walked, feeling their strength absorbed into his own. 

His troops began to form around him and they began to push forwards. Perhaps this battle was not lost, he seemed to be gaining ground. Then he heard it, the revving of engines. Suddenly a huge force of autobots in vehicle form smashed through his front lines, in a suicidal path towards Druhn. Slowly the autobots began to break off, clearing away his troops with their sheer mass. Opening a path for their leader. Providing him a final chance to take Druhn down.

Druhn ordered his men aside just as GrillGuard smashed into him. Still in truck from he drove Druhns body into the great wall of the mans fortress. Caving in a small section, he transformed, flipping backwards as he did so. Unloading all of his weapons into the point of impact. 

Slowly the dust settled. Then the ground began to shake, then Druhn rose from beneath it, shoving large sections of wall off of him with relative ease. He was bloody, but seemed relatively unscathed. He chuckled.

He walked forwards toward grill guard, pausing beside the corpse of one of the autobots fallen brethren, the one crushed by Druhns descent. 

"Oh this should be fun"

Druhn shoved his hand into the form of the autobot, it seemed to whir to life, screams of the spark of the mighty soldier heard as it was absorbed and snuffed out. The corpse of the autobot seemed to meld and shift, metals warping and twisting unnatural, wrapping themselves around Druhn. GrillGuard, in his rage, opened fire again, dust began the rise but he continued firing in rage, running towards this evil man who brought destruction upon him and his world. He reared up for a great strike, when a large metal hand thrust out from the haze, interrupting his strike. 

As the dust settled a grizzly sight stood before him. Sharp spikes and a eerie visage now stood before him, a grim reflection of the autobot that once was. Eyes burned fire red, and flames shot from within it.

"Let us end this, autobot." Druhn said in a voice now ringing with a mechanical edge.

The two large forms fought, brutal strikes sending pieces of their form flying across the battlefield. Both seemed evenly matched, trading blow for blow. GrillGuard struck a blow to Druhns face, seeming to blind his left eye, while Druhn intercepted one of GrillGuards strikes, severing his arm with a single sweep of a blade that seemed to grow from his wrist.

Both where injured, but it became clear to GrillGuard that he was outmatched. His brethren around him where being overrun. 

He knew what he had to do. He charged forward screaming as loud as he could "For cybertron!" he did not attempt to dodge Druhns blows, accepting them he wrapped the monstrous form into his arms and with all his might held him to the wall. He activated all of his weapons systems as Druhn began to strike more frantically. He whispered to himself "Autobots, roll out..." and fired all of his remaining munitions at point blank range, causing a chain reaction of immense destruction. Taking Druhn, and the tower with him.

Druhns forces began to fall, their own portal crashing closed. It seemed to be over. However the darkness did not seem to lift, they where not transported home. And all at once in the back of their minds they heard it. Laughing... and the promise that they would meet again.

• Like 4

Hey all. I'll be finalizing and posting the battle results today.

I did not realize this last challenge was so short. So this will determine the winner of this round.

Enjoy this week off, I will be creating a new thread for the upcoming challenge.

• Like 3

Apologies all, some serious illness (think it was food poisoning) has kept me down the last few days. I will be posting the results asap.

We have our winner! The leaderboard is as follows.

Rhovaniel with 14 territories!

Tourennatrix and Asa_Pond tied with 12 territories.

Myrik with 11 territories.

It was a good round. Thank you all so much for helping me test it. I think its in a pretty good place right now as far as the fighting and movement goes. So I will be progressing it to the next challenge! Please let me know if theres anything you feel should be changed etc!

I hope to see most of you on the next battlefield, and thank you again for playing!

And congrats to Rhovaniel for the victory! You definitely earned it!

• Like 4

I have decided to create a new thread for the next challenge, to keep things organized. It can be found here.

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/99710-nerdhammer-light-in-shadow/

• Like 1

On 7/5/2017 at 9:56 AM, tourennatrix said:

Thanks for the game! Fun times were had :)

2 minutes ago, Asa Pond said:

Thanks for this! It was a blast! I'll definitely be joining the next one!

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it! I was very happy with how everything went!

• Like 2