Wolfy

Since I'm focusing more inwards this challenge, I decided to hop on over to my Druid buddies! Hi!!!!!

This Heathen Mama has a Master Plan to start eating like a Viking! This challenge will be 100% diet based for me. After much research I keep coming back to the Nordic/Viking Diet. The paleo diet that I have tried many times before is far too restrictive for me and my carb-loving self. I do well for about a week and then end up going carb crazy and derailing my progress. So instead I found that the Viking Diet allows me limited carbs in the form of root veggies (potatoes, etc) and whole grains. I'm going to stick to this plan for the length of this challenge and see what kind of differences I see and feel. My goal is to keep it super simple and set myself up for success. If I do well following this, then next challenge I may add some other things. Here are my goals for this go around:

1. CARBS - From Whole Grains (rye, barley, oats, oatmeal), root veggie (potatoes, onion, parsnip, carrot, broccoli, sweet potatoes,etc) and fruits as desserts (focus on mainly berries, apples)

2. WHOLE FOODS ONLY- Focus on real whole foods. Proteins should consist of fish about 3 times a week, chicken and lean meats otherwise. Root veggies and fruits. no fast food, no processed food. no junk food, no sweets (except for occasional treat of dark chocolate 72% or higher). Based on previous trial and error I found that I LOVE stews. Healthy and filling when done right. Going to break out my crockpot about twice a week for easy, filling meals and plenty of leftovers. I love stews, casseroles, pot pies, basically anything that is like "all in one" meals. I hate cooking, so it helps!

3. DRINK HEALTHY - Drink 10 cups water daily, herbal tea and black coffee - no soda or energy drinks. I'm allowed alcohol 2-3 times a week, but stick with low cal low carb beers or wine. 

4. FOCUS ON KEEPING PERCENTAGES IN BALANCE-  the Nordic diet, based on what I've found, should be about 30% healthy fats, 50% carbs, 20% protein. veggies and fruits should make up 2/3 of my plate, with protein only being 1/3. I'm not going to focus as much on calories for the time being, but focus on eating until comfortable and keep the percentages within that general range.

To succeed I'm going to set aside time to cook in advance with larger portions with allow for easy leftovers and work meals already packed up and portioned to go. I'm also a creature of habit, so work to create set meals that I can rely on. Example would be having a set breakfast of a fruit and oatmeal sweetened with cinnamon and a tsp of honey. That way I don't have to worry as much about WHAT I'm gonna eat. I know what I'm gonna eat and know that it follows the Master Plan. *muahahahaha devious laughter ensues!*

I'm going to try to be good about taking photos of my foods as well to document and hold myself accountable. Skal!

Starting the habit now. Forgot dinner so I made what I could at work. so thankful to work for a hotel that offers breakfast! Most of the food is bad for you (Danish, donuts, muffins, etc ) but they also have oatmeal packets and little packets of honey and stuff. So tonight is: 2 Oatmeal packets with cinnamon and 1 tbsp honey, black coffee and water. c4ff78af5cce99ed1438522b06278a6a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Today was the last day before the challenge officially started. All in all I think I did pretty well considering.

Breakfast: Oatmeal with some cinnamon and a black coffee.

Dinner: Cheeseburger without bun (added some BBQ), 1/2 cup homemade mac and cheese, 1/2 c green beans. Not pictured, after dinner I enjoyed some time with the hubby and had a bud light, doritos, and some ritz crackers.

I suppose it was last call for all those junk foods. Now starts the hard work. 

8f1ff0fe2dc5adb327123ba06c1b9a9c.jpg

Rocked day one!

Breakfast: 2 Oatmeal packets and 1 tbsp honey, black coffee

Dinner: baked chicken breast with herbs and bbq, baked potato and sweet peas.

I drank over 11 cups of water today thanks to seltzer water. The carbonation tricks me into thinking it's soda and it's not!

No sodas, sweets, or cookies. I am stronger than a darn cookie! See? The picture proves it!3eaa3d26b182edf4928bcfd7ac3dc729.jpg039850c2bad8304e38455f89168989a5.jpg

Day 2 = success!!! I stayed within all my macros and stayed super strong all day! I had several times throughout the day where I could have easily eaten fast food and frozen junk (hot pockets anyone?) And even oreos and soda. But I kept getting mad and told myself "I am stronger than a darn cookie." Granted, my language was a bit more colorful than that [emoji13] but I'll give a pg version. I have a horrible habit of cursing like a sailor.

I will admit to 3 pips of a Hershey bar (1/4 of the bar) and a single swig of hubby's rockstar energy. But considering my norm is a whole candy bar every night and 1-2 Rockstar a day, that feels like a win! Rome wasn't built in a day. I also had a tuna fish sandwich on 1 slice of Italian bread since I haven't gone out to buy rye yet. But all in all? Win.

Breakfast: 2 packets oatmeal, cup of applesauce, 1 oz honey, black coffee and water. this is slowly becoming my usual and it's filling and yummy. I work graveyard shift at a hotel so I have 1 packet of oatmeal around 2am and another around 5am. We have cinnamon and individual packets of honey .5 ounces that I add to help out with taste. Part of what makes eating well so hard for me is the fact that I have to make the hotel breakfast each morning. The picture is just a small example of the carb and sugar heavy stuff we serve. The hardboiled eggs we serve never taste good and there really isn't many healthy alternatives. It is so easy as I'm making the food to snack. A donut here, muffin there, bam! 1000 calories wasted on junk before the sun is even up! Nope. I am.stronger than a cookie. I am stronger than a donut. I am stronger darnit!!!

Lunch: i actually ate lunch today. I didn't take a picture, but it was a 1/2 tuna fish sandwich on italian, dab of mayo to help.

Dinner: 2 filets broiled tilapia, sweet potato with cinnamon, and 1 cup sweet peas. 90389e3cbde1800accc351bf03cf141e.jpg4bc6ed733222bb660bab67802df24313.jpg

I have a little notebook where I can track my daily progress and I'm kind of proud of a little chart I made, so here it is! In true nerdy fashion, a huge motivator for me is getting to check off or highlight stuff as I complete it. Why not do the same with my eating habits? 3af0f7afa65861fdbc7307fd2f511bef.jpg

On 5/27/2017 at 11:06 PM, CraftyHeathen said:

I am stronger than a darn cookie! See? The picture proves it!039850c2bad8304e38455f89168989a5.jpg

I may have to adopt this motto for myself!

Also, I'm a big fan of soups/stews/slow cooker meals. Will there be recipes?

I may have to adopt this motto for myself!

Also, I'm a big fan of soups/stews/slow cooker meals. Will there be recipes?

Thanks! I hadn't thought of it but yes, when I make something like that I will try to add the recipe!

• Like 1

First, Happy Memorial Day all! Excited to report another successful day! I traversed the holiday with a strong, if tested, will and I DEFEATED the carb and soda beast within! We battled fiercely today. Do I want a hotdog? Why yes please. Bun? Yes it's a holiday....wait, no. That's just an excuse. But it's only so many carbs....it's NOT whole grain dummy! Yeah, the beast and I went round and round on a few occasions today. But. I. Was. Successful!

Breakfast: habit is being well established here. 2 Oatmeal packets, 1 oz honey to sweeten, 2 cups of black coffee to stand graveyard watch.

Dinner: 1/2 cup baked beans, 1/2 corn on the cob, a slider hamburger no bun, a hot dog all beef no bun, and for dessert 1/2 slice angel food cake with lots of strawberries and blueberries and a dollop of homemade whipped cream. This dessert is actually a huge deal for me. I have a horrible history with fruits so choosing to eat a large amount for dessert? That in and of itself is a win!

Supper: this I consider anything I eat between like 8 and midnight. Had a can of tuna fish and black coffee x2.

Drank over 12 cups of water today.

In general I have to report that today I felt more wide awake than usual. Even without a Rockstar which I previously relied on like a life raft on the Titanic. Sort of surprised by this. Happily so. 🤗 I'm feeling so good about this challenge so far! Excited to take it one day at a time. Before I know it I'll be looking back and saying, wow! I did that?! Let's do it again!4a923da3b0cecd2f58fb0457b3765554.jpga73e803921f6915d4a385d7e6256e9ee.jpg

• Like 1

I am so excited for this challenge. I'm feeling confident in what I'm doing and it's awesome! I'm not struggling with cravings anywhere near as much as I have in other recent attempts.

Breakfast: usual 2 Oatmeal, 2 honey black coffee

Dinner: around 4pm had meatloaf, potato baked, green beans, and leftover baked beans.

Supper: around 9pm before work. no picture but I had homeamde sloppy Joe's on one whole grain hot dog bun that hubby found! Had 1 pip of cookies n cream Hershey bar. Coffee. 197f3a560dd73314b5aa76166fd0242a.jpg

Way to go, especially on a holiday! Major props! [emoji4]

Thanks! Taking away the sweets is killing me. But on the bright side I am discovering I actually may like berries

I've never heard of the Nordic Diet but I'm thinking I might join you sometime. That would probably work MUCH better for me than paleo. Good luck! 

So far so good! I'm able to maintain it so far without really feeling deprived. I had a huge problem sticking to paleo and am loving this way more!

No photos today. I had a particularly rough day and it just slipped my mind to snap a photo before i dug in...nom nom nom nom! Very little sleep (maybe 3 hours total, broken up in half?) and two toddlers suffering from bad growing pains meant that I had a day that I'd sooner forget lol. BUT....on the bright side I BEAT back that carb demon again and again each time he snuck up to catch me! I survived without rockstar energy or soda as well! I went to grab it and as I held it in my hand and contemplated adding it into MyFitnessPal I realized "WTF am i doing? pass!" and put it back. I am Heathen. I am Stronger than a cookie or soda or any of that crap!

Breakfast: my usual 2 oatmeal packets and honey, black coffee, and I decided to try again the hardboiled egg from my work's breakfast. Yup. the hardboiled eggs come in a giant bag with this nasty smelling preservative liquid and even though i washed it off first and put salt and pepper on it....still tasted like ass. lol. I *almost* vomited. so definitely NOT going to be doing that again. I'll make my hardboiled at home from fresh eggs. 

Dinner: Baked Chicken, baked potato and green beans. i also had 2 light beers (i'm allowing myself alcohol twice a week because, well, in true viking fashion -I like beer!) 

Supper: some home drama had me very depressed by the time I got to work. I knew I really hadn't eaten enough calories and went to the breakfast pantry and stared for about 5 minutes at all the carb heavy muffins, donuts, etc trying to decide what I was going to console myself with. This has always been my MO. sad=carb binging. As I stood there pondering my choices it kind of hit me. WTF am I doing? I am so tired of feeling sluggish and unhappy with how I look in the mirror. What would eating that crap do? Make me feel worse. Reaffirm that I AM weak. That I AM not good enough. I was surprised with the force these thoughts hit me...and happy about it. It made me mad. Really mad. I AM STRONGER THAN A DARN COOKIE! I actually said it out loud, feeling my resolve harden. With that in mind, instead of the carb loaded junk, I grabbed a banana and fixed myself a cup of coffee. The small allowance I gave myself was 2 of the tiny tubs of creamer. Just 50 calories to make the coffee a little more enjoyable. I'm worth that. 

I am so glad to notice that I am making real, positive changes to my diet. I'm now several days into the challenge and I have not ONCE given in to excuses as to why I can have something bad. I'm glad also that my response to those moments of weakness have been that I've been getting mad. Mad is good. Mad means that I WANT to change. Mad means that I am learning. Maybe this chick can learn! SKAL!

I took today as an indulgence day for dinner. 

Breakfast: the usual oatmeal and honey, black coffee and a banana

Dinner: 1/2 cup baked beans and 2 hot dogs

Supper: Hubby surprised me with a medium dominos pizza with 2 toppings. I had half and totally splurged on carbs and fat. I also got a marble brownie cookie that I shared with hubby. 

So yeah, I ended up going way over in calories (over 700 calories and only hald the pizza? :( Anyway, it's a good think it's only once a week for indulgence day. Now I'm back on hardcore track until next Friday. 

I just want to say hi because I'm also a crafty heathen, and also because I'm appreciating this series of posts...I think of myself as eating primalish, but definitely on the high carb side. I feel like oatmeal, potatoes, fish and berries are really good for me, so I'm a bit wary of adding more rules, but I've definitely wondered if the new nordic thing would work well for me, too. 

• Like 1
On 6/17/2017 at 0:58 PM, lauragee said:

I just want to say hi because I'm also a crafty heathen, and also because I'm appreciating this series of posts...I think of myself as eating primalish, but definitely on the high carb side. I feel like oatmeal, potatoes, fish and berries are really good for me, so I'm a bit wary of adding more rules, but I've definitely wondered if the new nordic thing would work well for me, too. 

:) Glad to meet another crafty heathen :) I LOVE the primalish diet, especially the nordic/viking one because it does allow for more carbs and stuff. I feel it's more realistic and sustainable. 

Ok, so recapping this challenge I've learned alot! Even though I got sidetracked for a little bit, I was able to reel myself in and get back on track with healthy eating. My biggest weakness is sweets - chips ahoy, oreos, swiss roll cakes are my biggest challenges. I'm finding if I drink the 10c of water daily it helps curb my appetite. Also another trick I'm discovering for myself is that if I have a whole can or steam bag of veggies (usually green beans, peas, or broccoli) fills me up so much with healthy greens that I'm too stuffed to eat the bad stuff. Especially when I save my yummy protien for last. I'm wierd like that - I usually eat one thing at a time. All veggies, then all carb, then all protien. That way the protien is almost like a desert cause it's so much tastier than the veggies. Oh! I'm also cooking up the veggies with a sprinkling of poultry seasoning and other seasonings to add extra flavor. Makes it easier to eat a larger amount. Yay! So I am back on track with eating healthier and will continue this trend for the next challenge. I did manage to lose 5# during this challenge, so I didn't veer of track too badly! yay! Down to 161.6 and hoping that next challenge I will be firmly in the 150s.