Chimichanga's Boring Ass Challenge

Thanks for checking in, bros.

giphy.gif

I believe have decided on a routine. I still have a few days to panic and choose something else, but it's totally spreadsheet official.

Full Body 1

Bench: 2 x 5, 1 x 5+

One-arm DB Row: 2 x 5, 1 x 5+

Squat: 2 x 5, 1 x 5+

DB Romanian Deadlift: 3 x 8

Rope Pressdown: 2-3 x 10-12

Single-leg Calf Raise: 2-3 x 10-12

Full Body 2

Overhead Press: 2 x 5, 1 x 5+

Pull-up: 2 x 5, 1 x 5+

Deadlift: 2 x 5, 1 x 5+

Glute Bridge: 3 x 8

Curl: 2-3 x 10-12

DB Lateral Raise: 2-3 x 10-12

Italic = Optional bro-ccessories; these can be swapped in and out at whim.

Questions? Comments? Tacos? Opinions?

• Like 4

Chimichanga

Level 3

Mercenary

I would put both of your main lifts back to back. Accessories should be afterwards. Since you're low reps, I'm assuming higher weights, and therefore higher rest times. So you should be fine. You're basically doing a variation of any of the x5 programs (SS, SL, 5/3/1)

Single leg calf raise= seated or standing?

FB 1: chest, back, leg, other leg, tris, calf. 

FB 2: Shoulder, back, back, butt/leg, biceps, shoulder. 

You already have a back workout with deads, do you want another with pullups or maybe switch it to dips for a chest accesory?

Swap RDL and Lateral raise. Do the accessory for muscles you're not working that day since you're trying for a FB workout.

Also, no tacos. Only chimichangas.

• Like 4

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

Single-leg calf raise = standing.  I have a weak side due to a back injury and when I do a standard calf raise one leg makes up for the other.  Trying to get things balanced out.

Here's my thinking for my layout:

• I'm trying to hit all six big lifts and prioritize them in my workouts - bench (h. push), row (h. pull), press (v. push), pull-up (v. pull), squat (quad dom.), and deadlift (hip dom.).  I consider them all the "main" lifts for the day.  I also want to maintain a 1:1 push/pull ratio if possible.

• I need to add additional posterior chain work.  It's a big weak point and I have recurring back issues that I'm trying to correct.  Thus, the addition of the Romanian deadlift (ham.) and glute bridges (butt).

• I have never had good looking arms.  Even when I was at the top of my game, my chest and shoulders increased in width (I went from a small to a large t-shirt in a year), but my delts and arms were never defined.  Actually looking like a lift is a a secondary goal, but a goal all the same.  Thus, the addition of extra arm work.

• Calves, cause stick legs.

Full Body 1

Bench

Row

Squat

RDL

DB Lateral Raise

Curl

Full Body 2

Press

Pull-up

Deadlift

Glute Bridge

Pressdown

Face Pull

• Like 2

Chimichanga

Level 3

Mercenary

14 minutes ago, Chimichanga said:

Single-leg calf raise = standing.  I have a weak side due to a back injury and when I do a standard calf raise one leg makes up for the other.  Trying to get things balanced out.

• I'm trying to hit all six big lifts and prioritize them in my workouts - bench (h. push), row (h. pull), press (v. push), pull-up (v. pull), squat (quad dom.), and deadlift (hip dom.).  I consider them all the "main" lifts for the day.  I also want to maintain a 1:1 push/pull ratio if possible.

• I need to add additional posterior chain work.  It's a big weak point and I have recurring back issues that I'm trying to correct.  Thus, the addition of the Romanian deadlift (ham.) and glute bridges (butt).

• I have never had good looking arms.  Even when I was at the top of my game, my chest and shoulders increased in width (I went from a small to a large t-shirt in a year), but my delts and arms were never defined.  Actually looking like a lift is a a secondary goal, but a goal all the same.  Thus, the addition of extra arm work.

• Calves, cause stick legs.

Full Body 1

Bench

Row

Squat

RDL

DB Lateral Raise

Curl

Full Body 2

Press

Pull-up

Deadlift

Glute Bridge

Pressdown

Face Pull

Follow-up to ask... does that logic make sense?  Am I trying to do too much?  I could probably talk myself into losing all the green stuff and just focusing on the main lifts and the weak point that actually matters.  Worry about looking like I lift further down the road when I've got a better strength foundation to work from.

Chimichanga

Level 3

Mercenary

In other news... I am still severely limited and can't do much in the gym.  Can't sit, can't lie down, and can't use too high of a load.  Chest, back, legs, and anything having to do with a barbell are no-go's.  I'm aiming for a July 10 return to strength training.  Hopefully.

I had a huge realization this morning, though - biceps, triceps, forearms, delts, and traps are still totally on the table if I choose exercises wisely.  I'm totally looking into traditional bro-splits today and subtracting all that important icky-icky doo-doo compound stuff.  All vanity all the time, yo.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Chimichanga

Level 3

Mercenary

Woooooooooooooooooooo!  I just finished my first "workout" in months and it felt great.

giphy.gif

Dem Gunz Dem Gunz

• DB Curls: 30 x 8, 8, 8
  • Rope Pressdown: 30 x 8, 8, 8
  • Cable Curl: 30 x 10, 20 x 12, 12
  • DB Overhead Extension: 20 x 12, 12, 12
  • Hammer Curl: 20 x 15, 15, 15
  • Reverse-grip Pressdown: 20 x 15, 15, 15

Super light and super easy but super stoked all the same.

giphy.gif

• Like 7

Chimichanga

Level 3

Mercenary

7 hours ago, Chimichanga said:

Full Body 1

Bench

Row

Squat

RDL

DB Lateral Raise

Curl

Full Body 2

Press

Pull-up

Deadlift

Glute Bridge

Pressdown

Face Pull

Personally, I would throw the squats and the deadlifts higher up the order - they are likely going to be the harder (and more technical - especially the squat) lifts (they will also "wake up" the brain and nervous system and everything after them will feel a little easier).

Also... if you are trying to speed shit up a little - then the push/pull are easier to alternate between.

Follow-up to ask... does that logic make sense?  Am I trying to do too much?  I could probably talk myself into losing all the green stuff and just focusing on the main lifts and the weak point that actually matters.  Worry about looking like I lift further down the road when I've got a better strength foundation to work from.

The stuff in green seems legit to me - you should be able to crush that stuff quite quickly.

If this were me, then the timings would be something close to this:

Squat/Deadlift: 1/3 of the total time in the gym

Push and Pull:  1/3 of the total time in the gym

Green stuff: 1/3 of the total time in the gym (or less)

This thinking is bang on and seems good to go.

• Like 3

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

12 hours ago, Chimichanga said:

Woooooooooooooooooooo!  I just finished my first "workout" in months and it felt great.

giphy.gif

Dem Gunz Dem Gunz

• DB Curls: 30 x 8, 8, 8
  • Rope Pressdown: 30 x 8, 8, 8
  • Cable Curl: 30 x 10, 20 x 12, 12
  • DB Overhead Extension: 20 x 12, 12, 12
  • Hammer Curl: 20 x 15, 15, 15
  • Reverse-grip Pressdown: 20 x 15, 15, 15

Super light and super easy but super stoked all the same.

giphy.gif

Do you have to avoid all back work or can you just not flex or sit down? What about stuff using the cables attached to your ankle like kick backs or cross body leg work. (hip extension and hip abduction). You could have buns of steel. 

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

2 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Do you have to avoid all back work or can you just not flex or sit down? What about stuff using the cables attached to your ankle like kick backs or cross body leg work. (hip extension and hip abduction). You could have buns of steel. 

Image result for buns of steel gif

• Like 3

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

On 6/21/2017 at 4:32 AM, Taddea Zhaan said:

Well, I'm dealing with two issues... what I can't do yet (squatting, bending, hip hinging, twisting, etc.) and what I could probably do (bench press) if I could get into the position without having to do something I'm not supposed to do yet (bending over to lie down on a bench)... which I can't. ;)

giphy.gif

I can do back stuff as long as I can stand to do it (I did face pulls today!).  I'm thinking I might be able to do pull-ups and dips, but because they're so core intense they're in a sort of gray area.  Kickbacks might work actually... though I've been enjoying my built-in excuse to do nothing but bro work.  If only I could bench...

giphy.gif

Boulder Shoulders

• One-arm DB Press: 20 x 10 L/R, 10 L/R, 10 L/R
  • DB High Pull: 30 x 10, 10, 10
  • Rope Face Pull: 20 x 12, 12, 12
  • Front Plate Raise: 10 x 12, 12, 12
  • DB Lateral Raise: 20 x 12, 12, 12
  • DB Reverse Fly: 10 x 12, 12, 12

Once again, super easy and super light. About 105 degrees (F) in the garage gym today, though, so I sweat a lot... which at least made me feel like I was doing really hard work.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Chimichanga

Level 3

Mercenary

5 hours ago, Chimichanga said:

Well, I'm dealing with two issues... what I can't do yet (squatting, bending, hip hinging, twisting, etc.) and what I could probably do (bench press) if I could get into the position without having to do something I'm not supposed to do yet (bending over to lie down on a bench)... which I can't. ;)

This is not about bench, but how do you get into bed without bending over? I've had umpteen surgeries so I'm not making fun of you, just trying to correct the picture in my head of you doing a belly flop onto your bed. 

• Like 4

giphy.gif

Well, now that is the picture in all of our heads, TZ. 

After surgery, I used the (wait for it, T, you're going to love the cross thread contamination...) "log roll". 

I actually don't remember it being called that at the time, but they had me practice this basic idea in the hospital before I could go home.  First 40 seconds are just him blathering.

• Like 4

~Emerald_Dragonfly

Level 13 Warrior

24 minutes ago, Emerald_Dragonfly said:

After surgery, I used the (wait for it, T, you're going to love the cross thread contamination...) "log roll". 

pffft, that's not even silly at all. But I do like the name ;) when I was first recovering and had no strength I HAD to use the log roll to sit up in bed at all, because I had zero abdominal (or abs because they were not connected for a while there) strength. So I would roll to one side and then use my arms to push myself into a seated position. BOOM. cheatin' the system. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

pffft, that's not even silly at all. But I do like the name ;) when I was first recovering and had no strength I HAD to use the log roll to sit up in bed at all, because I had zero abdominal (or abs because they were not connected for a while there) strength. So I would roll to one side and then use my arms to push myself into a seated position. BOOM. cheatin' the system. 

I had to work up to that when I pulled my lumbar...  Same thing, nothing worked on my back and couldn't move.  Don't wish that on anyone.

• Like 2

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

YAY for recovery and new workouts!!!!! :D:D:D Exciting stuff!!! Looking forward to hearing more!

giphy.gif

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

This is not about bench, but how do you get into bed without bending over? I've had umpteen surgeries so I'm not making fun of you, just trying to correct the picture in my head of you doing a belly flop onto your bed. 

I have been sleeping in a recliner for over a month now. :( I tried sleeping in bed week 3 (using the log roll technique, actually), but apparently I am an active sleeper because I tore a bunch of stitches.  That was the end of that for a bit.  The recliner is easy to get into and out of (a simple triceps dip) and it holds me in one position while I sleep.

Chimichanga

Level 3

Mercenary

In conclusion...

This wasn't an interesting first challenge, but I actually finished it for which I am pleased.

giphy.gif

Goal 1 - Weak Ass Makes a Plan

Training program decided and mentioned earlier in my thread.  Not sure when I'm going to be able to start (July 10 is my goal date), but I've got a plan!

Goal 2 - Lazy Ass Does Work

Averaging 5-7 hours of work per day now!  It's actually amazing how much I'm getting done without people constantly pestering me.  My to-do list is getting shorter for the first time in a year. Too bad I'm management and actually have to manage people... otherwise I'd say f*ck it and work from home from now on.

Goal 3 - Fat Ass Doesn't Get Fatter but Remains the Same Amount of Fat

Whelp, this goal I definitely didn't pass, but I did make forward progress.  I actually managed to lose 4 pounds during the challenge which is pretty cool.  This last week of the challenge I got my act together and started tracking.  Managed 7 of 7 days!  i'd like to keep that up.  My goal is to lose another 20 lb., and for that I'm going to have to actually try not to eat like an asshole.  Not sure I have that in me.

69-hilarious-deadpool-comics-moments-u2.

• Like 7

Chimichanga

Level 3

Mercenary

I'm so impressed that you decided to start challenging during your recovery, and that you stuck with it!! You lost some weight, met some folks and got your program lined up!!! I hope this has been a positive space for you and that the next round will be even better! :D 

giphy.gif

• Like 6