Jump to content

Kishi Says Empty


Kishi

Recommended Posts

 

The struggle is real. The struggle is real, and it continues.

 

But what is life without it?

 

So the theme of this challenge is something @Kyellan said, about emptying the cup of oneself that one approaches an art with. During that time, I could feel a lot of ego trying to come up in me, and that's something that's come up in me before, to my detriment. I need to throw that away and be willing to learn, because I'm beginning to think that good movement is good movement and that really the arts are just ways to bridge the various places where one moves. From strike to clash. From clash to clinch. From clinch to throw, and all the permutations thereof.

 

Here's why. Remember when I said last challenge that I was going to change up my lifts and such like that? Try to make more time for martial arts?

 

Well, it worked! After a fashion. Last night I went and practiced my lifts and did the things that I wanted to do. I even added in some plyometrics at the start to warm up the CNS for this kind of work, and it turned out great. It feels perfect, actually. And I finished with so much time to spare that I actually decided to go off and do Kali last night.

 

(turns out it actually is full blown Kali).

 

And it was fun. No real randori to speak of, but as a movement and flow discipline it's a lot of fun. After discussing some theories of movement and such, he put me to work with a drill where I had a stick and a bolo knife (practice knife, of course, not the real thing) and flowing into cuts and control on a staff held to resemble sugar cane. The clack and shing of metal and wood clashing against each other... it was awesome. I was shit at it. BUT IT WAS AWESOME.

 

But the best part about it, to me, was that he wanted to find ways in which Kali could work with kickboxing (which is basically what I do. Kenkojuku-lineage Shotokan, but it's basically kickboxing) and with judo. One of the judo brownbelts practices with this guy and it's apparently made his judo just... sick broken. I actually got to see them practice it. Essentially, it's a very hyper aggressive form of grip fighting. In judo, you fight for grip on the sleeve and lapel of the judogi. When you mix kali into that, your approach is such that you don't necessarily need the lapel anymore. You make a trade instead for an aggressive sleeve grip - wrist and elbow as opposed to elbow and shoulder. If you apply leverage and footwork in the right ways, the result is apparently a kuzushi - unbalancing - that is so radically different from what orthodox judo does that you can execute a throw before the other guy even knows what's going on.

 

As far as kickboxing is concerned, I think it would ultimately work in terms of training the concept of getting off the opponent's center line and staying a step ahead in your timing. Also, in the clash - being ready to punch and kick and apply leverage as opposed to just trying to go and smother on a clinch. Mind, I don't know how well it would translate. He's about being quick and letting a knife do his cutting as opposed to generating lots of force, and we're kind of the polar opposite of that. But I think there's value in it and it's worth trying to find some bridges.

 

 

Here is how I will attempt to put myself into positions necessitating an empty cup:

 

GOAL 1: MANAGE MY WEEKEND BEDTIMES

I thought that if I got more sleep during the week, this would translate into a need for less sleep during the weekend. This has proven wrong. I stayed up late again and slept through judo again. So, that confirms it. I need to get to bed early enough on Friday nights that I don't have the excuse of staying up late.

 

Truthfully, in a lot of ways this could be challenge enough on its own. It's just one day a week, but making this work is going to require a lot. If I lift on Fridays and then do kali afterward, that's going to mean getting a lot of food in a very short period of time. I honestly don't know what approach is going to work here. Batch cooking won't work because the only day I have to do that is Sunday and all the food will basically have expired by the time I get to Friday. Chipotle could work, but it'd be pretty pricey too. Also, it's a lot of sodium, and I'm kind of growing suspicious of it.

 

I could stick some chicken breasts in the microwave after thawing overnight, I guess, which might wind up being the solution to all this. I dunno. Gotta keep playing with this.

 

GOAL 2: MANAGE MY PAIN

 

I have pain in my left elbow, right shoulder, and my lower back. The good news is that they are responding to treatment. The left elbow is finally, finally starting to relax. My right shoulder stopped hurting this week. The lower back is new, but GB came to the rescue by forcing me to confront myself with the fact that I bit off more than I could chew with the SL progressions. Weighted Russian Twists are just too much for me right now, and the prescribed integrated mobility doesn't work for me. Fortunately, I'm not alone in this. I just tried out one of the forum solutions to the problem and my back pain almost completely resolved. I'm... really happy about this. I was afraid I'd have to indulge my ADD again, or worse, be stubborn and try to soldier through it.

 

But yeah, mostly this goal is about emptying my cup of my training ego and to be mindful and listen to my body. To take my time and build well. If that makes any sense.

 

GOAL 3: PLAN

 

This is in reference to my writing. I'm at the point now where I'm writing scenes out, but I'm pretty arrogant about how this kind of thing works for me. I'm used to planning out chapters in fanfic style where you can build this episodic approach into things. It's not exactly how it's done in novels, though. There's a definite aspect of scene to scene to scene, each of them meant to build toward something. It's a different approach, and I need to be willing to try new ways to get there while at the same time acknowledging that it might take a while and that I might need some help.

 

Beyond that, though, I want to plan out at least one scene a day. More is permissible. Less is inexcusable.

 

GOAL 4: CLEAN

 

Taking my time with the cleaning is making it happen, but that doesn't mean it's done. Keep going.

 

...

 

And, that should do it. Cool. Let's empty our cups that they may be filled again.

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Kishi said:

Batch cooking won't work because the only day I have to do that is Sunday and all the food will basically have expired by the time I get to Friday. Chipotle could work, but it'd be pretty pricey too. Also, it's a lot of sodium, and I'm kind of growing suspicious of it.

 

I could stick some chicken breasts in the microwave after thawing overnight, I guess, which might wind up being the solution to all this. I dunno. Gotta keep playing with this.

 

GOAL 2: MANAGE MY PAIN

 

I have pain in my left elbow, right shoulder, and my lower back. The good news is that they are responding to treatment. The left elbow is finally, finally starting to relax. My right shoulder stopped hurting this week. The lower back is new, but GB came to the rescue by forcing me to confront myself with the fact that I bit off more than I could chew with the SL progressions. Weighted Russian Twists are just too much for me right now, and the prescribed integrated mobility doesn't work for me. Fortunately, I'm not alone in this. I just tried out one of the forum solutions to the problem and my back pain almost completely resolved. I'm... really happy about this. I was afraid I'd have to indulge my ADD again, or worse, be stubborn and try to soldier through it.

 

How long is chicken breast supposed to last in the fridge? I know you can keep it for months in the freezer. Also, does cooking (and the time of cooking) change any of that? I always feel like I'm pushing my luck (or I could be slowly building an immunity to salmonella, if that's a thing).

 

Foundations is still an evolving program. That's why input in the forums is important. You'll notice some of the follow-along videos have different people in them. The Deck Squat used to be the very first exercise in SLS (but obviously very few people can jump into those right off the bat), and the Arch Body Hold for SL. Seriously. Arch Body Hold.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

More martial arts!!!  Kali certainly sounds interesting, and honestly more cross training is better.  I never get some of the purist tendencies out there. 

 

Batch cooking meat still works.  Once it's cooked and cooled, chop it up and freeze in bags.  When hungry, microwave defrost protein and veg, add whatever carbs and extras.  No timer for when things go bad. 

 

Resolved back pain!  Any good recs for your other pains? 

 

Ego gets in the way of a lot. Good work :-)

  • Like 3

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.
 

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Link to comment

Sleep is really influenzing our days. You're covering a lot of aspects with your goals. Nice.

  • Like 1

level 12 Hobbit Monk (respawned September 2016)
STR 4 | DEX 15 | CON 16 | STA 15 | WIS 33 | CHA 24 | Halfling | Newbie | Fencer and Bookworm

Introduction | Character | Daily Battle Log | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 67 | 8 | | 10 | 11 | 12# | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | #### | 17 | Current Challenge

Spoiler

 I'm exercising, because I want to get my stamina and strength. I enjoy medieevil swordmanship,  Tai Chi, yoga, aikido and fire spinning. I'm also a roleplaying nerd and a book worm. Let's fight the procrastination dragon!

Link to comment
16 hours ago, Machete said:

How long is chicken breast supposed to last in the fridge? I know you can keep it for months in the freezer. Also, does cooking (and the time of cooking) change any of that? I always feel like I'm pushing my luck (or I could be slowly building an immunity to salmonella, if that's a thing).

 

Cooked chicken breast, if left refrigerated, is supposed to last for 2-4 days after having been cooked. I don't know how long the raw stuff lasts, since I just tend buy frozen instead. It's cheaper, I find.

 

16 hours ago, Machete said:

Foundations is still an evolving program. That's why input in the forums is important. You'll notice some of the follow-along videos have different people in them. The Deck Squat used to be the very first exercise in SLS (but obviously very few people can jump into those right off the bat), and the Arch Body Hold for SL. Seriously. Arch Body Hold.

 

That was not something that I knew. Although I'm glad I know that I do now. It explains much, and it feels like I have a little bit of latitude to explore things and to figure out what will work for me versus not.

 

12 hours ago, Teirin said:

More martial arts!!!  Kali certainly sounds interesting, and honestly more cross training is better.  I never get some of the purist tendencies out there. 

 

Agreed. The thing of it is, I'd want to be able to spend a lot of time dedicated to an art and figuring out how it works, and then try to blend other things in that might work with it. Like I said, kali's approach is way different from karate's. I think it can work, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will work.

 

12 hours ago, Teirin said:

Batch cooking meat still works.  Once it's cooked and cooled, chop it up and freeze in bags.  When hungry, microwave defrost protein and veg, add whatever carbs and extras.  No timer for when things go bad. 

 

Ooooooh. I hadn't thought of this. Very nice. That would help things very much.

 

12 hours ago, Teirin said:

Resolved back pain!  Any good recs for your other pains? 

 

Not quite yet beyond lighter practice. The shoulder's pretty much managed at this point, and I'm thinking about doing an even harder regression of the RC stuff I'm doing to help my elbow heal. And even that's doing better, although it still feels a little tight.

 

12 hours ago, Teirin said:

Ego gets in the way of a lot. Good work :-)

 

Thanks. I still have a long way to go.

 

11 hours ago, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

Sleep is really influenzing our days. You're covering a lot of aspects with your goals. Nice.

 

I mean, that's the hope. It reads like a lot, but really it's just some small tweaks to what's going on already.

 

5 hours ago, mightstone2k said:

Continued creeping on a kindred kettlebell cultist (with bonus alliteration)

 

Ugh, I owe you some creepery too. Sorry, man. I hope things have been all right your way. I've seen the pictures you post of your hikes and such - beautiful.

 

*

 

Well, I know today's the official start for everyone, but I'm a Monday man, so that's how I'mma be.

 

Bedtime sucked. I didn't make it, for the reasons that I stated. But that's okay. We're fixing that.

 

I decided that with my pain being the way it is right now, I wanted to run an assessment session with Simple and Sinister. I wanted to make sure I actually had my swings and get ups and wasn't allowing the wrong parts to carry the burden. And I realized a couple of things - one, that I've not been doing my Swings with the technical precision that they demand, and two, that I'm not as strong on the Get Ups as I thought. I've allowed my concerns for speed to get in the way of doing the things right. So, like, when I swing, I don't snap with the hips so much as I push, and that compromises my lumbar spine pretty significantly. I can still do the Swings with the proper height, but it's harder. Of course, that could just be the heat talking as well.

 

As for the Get Ups, I noticed that when I do them lighter I can hold a true straight arm as opposed to holding slightly forward. I can still do that with the 70, but it's a lot harder, and I am suspicious of my ability. I think I told myself once a while ago that it was okay, I would just iron it out over time... and that hasn't really happened.

 

So, back we go a bit. It's okay, though. It's just a practice. No pressure at all. :)

 

Rewrote a scene because I want this to be a first person story rather than a 3rd person story. My lone beta reader, who's only seen a little bit (because I've only written a little bit) has started advocating for a 3rd person view, and I don't know if I want to do that or not. I got that whole love of the Dresden Files in me and wanting to write a first person protagonist and all that. I think I might be having some trouble in terms of figuring out worldbuilding in what's going to wind up being an urban fantasy setting. May end up expanding this goal a little bit. Dunno.

 

Found another box of old clothes, some of which I actually want to wear. The rest will go to charity again. It'll be good to have a little more emptiness in the room.

 

Spent my Sunday morning with all my chores done and no clients to go train since they're off at Animazement. So I watched Lindsey Stirling's film on YouTube and felt All The Feelings. That poor girl. She makes me wanna be brave.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

When you say "true straight arm" on the TGU, do you mean perfectly vertical? From what I understand, the heavier the bell gets, the less vertical your arm gets and that's okay. The mass of the bell changes the angle of your arm because you must adjust for the heavier weight. Something about center of mass and more science than I can grok at 04:00.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Avatar courtesy of Starpuck

Link to comment
26 minutes ago, mightstone2k said:

When you say "true straight arm" on the TGU, do you mean perfectly vertical? From what I understand, the heavier the bell gets, the less vertical your arm gets and that's okay. The mass of the bell changes the angle of your arm because you must adjust for the heavier weight. Something about center of mass and more science than I can grok at 04:00.

 

I do mean perfectly vertical, simply because that's how I've seen it demonstrated in books and technique videos and such like that. This has been reinforced to me with having done TGUs with dumbbells, where you have to hold it perfectly vertical or else it tries to crash down on you - the center of mass in that case requires a perfectly vertical arm.

 

That being said, though, I do have a tendency to train in isolation relative to the amount of information, which is a nice way of saying I don't do my homework very often. :P So, it's okay not to have a perfectly vertical arm for TGUs?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, mightstone2k said:

When you say "true straight arm" on the TGU, do you mean perfectly vertical? From what I understand, the heavier the bell gets, the less vertical your arm gets and that's okay. The mass of the bell changes the angle of your arm because you must adjust for the heavier weight. Something about center of mass and more science than I can grok at 04:00.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people on the Strong First board were talking about this.  I've noticed that my 35 pound bell isn't quite vertical. My arm is straight but has a slight forward tilt. After reading about this, I decided to just keep it doing it that way,as it feels much more secure that way. With lighter bells my arm is vertical.

  • Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Link to comment
 

I do mean perfectly vertical, simply because that's how I've seen it demonstrated in books and technique videos and such like that. This has been reinforced to me with having done TGUs with dumbbells, where you have to hold it perfectly vertical or else it tries to crash down on you - the center of mass in that case requires a perfectly vertical arm.

 

That being said, though, I do have a tendency to train in isolation relative to the amount of information, which is a nice way of saying I don't do my homework very often. [emoji14] So, it's okay not to have a perfectly vertical arm for TGUs?

Yes, it is. See the "Roll to Elbow" bullet here (http://www.strongfirst.com/solid-simple-sinister/). I don't recall offhand if this is also said in S&S the book, so I can't quote chapter and verse to you. But Pavel Macek is a respected authority on the SF boards (with a first name like that, he must know his stuff), and the SFG out here told me to read this article before we met up, so it's fairly authoritative.

 

Dumbbells would require perfect vertical because of the way the weight is distributed. It's equally distributed smack on top of your arm. A kettlebell is not. It sits off-center, so your arm must hit an angle that allows the bell's center of mass to be balanced correctly. I'm not 100% sure where that point is - right over your shoulder, perhaps - but if your arm is perfectly vertical with a 32 kg bell, that's a whopping 70 lbs that's actually suspended to the side of your body, as opposed to above any part of your body. It would pull your arm sideways rather than being balanced.

  • Like 2

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Avatar courtesy of Starpuck

Link to comment

The loss of the abdominal tension on the lockout of the Swing seems to happen a lot when you're too focused on the height during the float. (The eye level standard in the S&S book doesn't help.) Band-resisted Swings are pretty good for those when two-handed, or Swinging with something behind you that you're not supposed to hit. Also good is Low Swings, where you're only Swinging to about stomach/low chest level--it allows you to concentrate on the Plank at the top, but it doesn't give you as much "rest" time. I like this one very much.

 

It definitely does not need to remain vertical when it gets heavy, unless you're doing them Bottoms-Up. You want the center of mass of the kettlebell over the base of support.

 

bottoms-up-center-of-mass.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Some people on the Strong First board were talking about this.  I've noticed that my 35 pound bell isn't quite vertical. My arm is straight but has a slight forward tilt. After reading about this, I decided to just keep it doing it that way,as it feels much more secure that way. With lighter bells my arm is vertical.

 

Yeah, see, I'd noticed the same thing, where I'll go with the 53 and it sits nice and vertical almost without me having to think about it. Put me under the 70, though, and I have to have a forward tilt. I can do it without, but it's a lot harder that way. But I'd assumed that this was the way it should be, because load is load. It didn't occur to me that the center of load matters as well. Which just goes to show...

 

2 hours ago, mightstone2k said:

Yes, it is. See the "Roll to Elbow" bullet here (http://www.strongfirst.com/solid-simple-sinister/). I don't recall offhand if this is also said in S&S the book, so I can't quote chapter and verse to you. But Pavel Macek is a respected authority on the SF boards (with a first name like that, he must know his stuff), and the SFG out here told me to read this article before we met up, so it's fairly authoritative.

 

Yeah, I don't really remember if I saw it quoted in the book or not. It's probably a thing that was bound to happen to a certain extent - I've got a lot of different approaches at work right now and some details are just bound to slip. I thought that when my shoulder borked up that it was because I was moving badly on it - that it wasn't just the 70 pounds but that I was lifting the 70 pounds wrong. I guess it just means that the same move done with a different implement has to be done differently.

 

2 hours ago, mightstone2k said:

Dumbbells would require perfect vertical because of the way the weight is distributed. It's equally distributed smack on top of your arm. A kettlebell is not. It sits off-center, so your arm must hit an angle that allows the bell's center of mass to be balanced correctly. I'm not 100% sure where that point is - right over your shoulder, perhaps - but if your arm is perfectly vertical with a 32 kg bell, that's a whopping 70 lbs that's actually suspended to the side of your body, as opposed to above any part of your body. It would pull your arm sideways rather than being balanced.

 

I mean, I think I have to settle for "the angle where it doesn't fall down on me."

 

19 minutes ago, Machete said:

The loss of the abdominal tension on the lockout of the Swing seems to happen a lot when you're too focused on the height during the float. (The eye level standard in the S&S book doesn't help.) Band-resisted Swings are pretty good for those when two-handed, or Swinging with something behind you that you're not supposed to hit. Also good is Low Swings, where you're only Swinging to about stomach/low chest level--it allows you to concentrate on the Plank at the top, but it doesn't give you as much "rest" time. I like this one very much.

 

Actually, what I found was that lockout and tension were things I struggled with when I was too focused on just getting through the reps. Like, if I do Low Swings, I don't use tension in my glutes - I don't crush the walnut, and as a result, I get a relatively weak irradiation from there to my spine and my abs. It doesn't make the swings painful in the moment, but there's definitely some tightness in my lower back afterward, and I'm really paranoid.

 

I've also found, at least for myself, that it doesn't make a huge difference in terms of rest. Like, Low Swings versus Chest Swings, the difference is two seconds in terms of getting through the set. It felt to me, this past time, like even if I was going a little bit slower, I was making up that time by cramping my glutes, bracing my everything, and punching like I meant to kill someone. I went at Simple pace for two minutes that way and I was struggling with the Talking Test at that point.

 

All of that having been said, it's worth pointing out that I've had a few different opportunities to f- up my lower back, so it might not have been the swings or anything in my form, but given that my priority in the next 30 days is to manage and alleviate pain, it seems sensible to focus on every possible thing that might have done it. I woke up today less sore than I was yesterday. That's gotta be a good sign.

 

36 minutes ago, Machete said:

It definitely does not need to remain vertical when it gets heavy, unless you're doing them Bottoms-Up. You want the center of mass of the kettlebell over the base of support.

 

bottoms-up-center-of-mass.jpg

 

Ah. Aha. That also is a good article and clarifies much. Very cool. Thank you!

 

*

 

And the rest of Sunday passed quietly too. I wound up being invited to go on a hike tomorrow. It's not with the Problematic Coworker. I'm pleased.

 

Today was my last deload day for 531. Here is how the session went:

 

Warmed Up

 

Plyometric Push Ups: 3x3

 

Bench Press: 5x66

5x83

3x99

 

RC PE1: 3x3

>iM: 3x15s

 

MN PE1: 5x9

>iM: 5x5

 

After that, did some banded uchikomi and went home.

 

Payday's on Wednesday. Can't wait. I'll be able to afford grassfed beef again. Mmmmm.

 

Now to just mark down that scene and keep going. Need to remember that there really isn't any one way to do Urban Fantasy - it can be anything that feels like it works. Need to stop worrying about things that matter less than getting the story done.

 

 

(shut up, i haven't been crying all day, you've been crying all day and you're not even my real dad)

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 5/28/2017 at 9:57 PM, Kishi said:

I mean, I think I have to settle for "the angle where it doesn't fall down on me."

Local village kettlebell n00b thinks this is a spot on idea.

 

On 5/28/2017 at 9:57 PM, Kishi said:

And the rest of Sunday passed quietly too. I wound up being invited to go on a hike tomorrow. It's not with the Problematic Coworker. I'm pleased.

 

YUUUS!!!! *fist punch the air*

  • Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Breathe deep.  Seek peace.  Bring a sword.  ---Kishi

Playlist for the Zombie Apocalypse

Link to comment

Happy Tuesday err'body!

 

Hiking yesterday was great. Went out and did about 7 miles on the trail. It was a hot and humid one yesterday; it's not going to get any easier, though. Very crowded, too, but that's what you get for a federal holiday.

 

I got a hair to train afterward and hit up S&S as well. Had to do a quick one on account of wanting to go to dinner with my folks. Still got it. Even with the 70. It's good to know that the TGUs are being built the way they need to be built. Also managed to keep the proper swing height simply by focusing on cramping the glutes and tensing my offhand. Back is feeling better today. Need to keep that up.

 

Anyway, with it being a holiday yesterday, and having hiked and tried to kill myself with a kettlebell, I decided to have a good old-fashioned cheat day. Got all the protein I needed and then just let the chips fall where they would (in my mouth). It was pretty glorious, but doesn't feel like it has the power to derail me. Between finding new ways to make food I like and eating enough calories on a day by day basis, it just doesn't have the same pull for me.

 

I did go back to Panera and say hi to old coworkers though. Just because. I've been telling myself that was something I'd do and I kept not doing it. So I did it. That was pretty cool.

 

I got the box of old smallclothes donated and planned another scene. Realized I don't have to plan the scenes in order, so I wrote a climax scene and am now trying to figure out the links from one place to the next. Seems to be more constructive at this point.

 

GOAL 1: -/-

 

GOAL 2: 1/1

 

GOAL 3: 1/1

 

GOAL 4: 1/1

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Hai. I have been known to eat leftovers that are a week+ old and am still alive. Pretty sure it's not because I have a particularly strong stomach. 

 

Kali sounds like a lot of fun, +1 for crosstraining. There's a place here that claims to teach it, but after calling in about the class beforehand then showing up and being the only one there (no teacher, nobody)....yeah. 

 

For your story, have you considered mixed POV? I have seen all sorts of things in sci-fi/fantasy. 1st, 2nd, 3rd limited, the works.

  • Like 2

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

Link to comment

 

On 5/27/2017 at 5:53 PM, Kishi said:

And it was fun. No real randori to speak of, but as a movement and flow discipline it's a lot of fun. After discussing some theories of movement and such, he put me to work with a drill where I had a stick and a bolo knife (practice knife, of course, not the real thing) and flowing into cuts and control on a staff held to resemble sugar cane. The clack and shing of metal and wood clashing against each other... it was awesome. I was shit at it. BUT IT WAS AWESOME.

YAY for Kali! Kali is one of the arts that my Jeet Kune Do teacher cross-trained on, and it was just so much fun. Swinging sticks around, tracing lines in the air with a heavy knife? Man, that gets your blood pumping.

 

Have a good challenge!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
23 hours ago, Kishi said:

I did go back to Panera and say hi to old coworkers though. Just because. I've been telling myself that was something I'd do and I kept not doing it. So I did it. That was pretty cool.

 

I got the box of old smallclothes donated and planned another scene. Realized I don't have to plan the scenes in order, so I wrote a climax scene and am now trying to figure out the links from one place to the next. Seems to be more constructive at this point.

 

that was nice of you to drop in and say hi to them!  It's always nice to finally get around to doing those sorts of things.

 

Ah yessss the realizing you don't have to write scenes in order.  My problem is I never got back to writing the things I missed.  Do the thing!  Be constructive!  Achieve all the Art!

  • Like 2

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Breathe deep.  Seek peace.  Bring a sword.  ---Kishi

Playlist for the Zombie Apocalypse

Link to comment
23 hours ago, Urgan said:

Hai. I have been known to eat leftovers that are a week+ old and am still alive. Pretty sure it's not because I have a particularly strong stomach.

 

Yeah, I know I'm probably being paranoid. I've just seen chicken breasts go kind of slimy before and, well, it's not fun, you know? Anyway, nothing wrong with a healthy sense of something getting ready to go wrong. :D

 

23 hours ago, Urgan said:

Kali sounds like a lot of fun, +1 for crosstraining. There's a place here that claims to teach it, but after calling in about the class beforehand then showing up and being the only one there (no teacher, nobody)....yeah. 

 

Aw, gross of them! That's not how that's supposed to work.

 

23 hours ago, Urgan said:

For your story, have you considered mixed POV? I have seen all sorts of things in sci-fi/fantasy. 1st, 2nd, 3rd limited, the works.

 

I have, and I might do it. That would probably make the thing easier, particularly since I don't seem to have a strong sense of any particular voice in my head ATM.

 

20 hours ago, ICB said:

YAY for Kali! Kali is one of the arts that my Jeet Kune Do teacher cross-trained on, and it was just so much fun. Swinging sticks around, tracing lines in the air with a heavy knife? Man, that gets your blood pumping.

 

Dude, right? And I think I'll be able to make a thing of it. It should be pretty great, I think. It's definitely something I want to go back to.

 

4 hours ago, Treva said:

that was nice of you to drop in and say hi to them!  It's always nice to finally get around to doing those sorts of things.

 

I do try to be nice. It's interesting to see how everyone grew up - who made manager, who quit, who's still there. That kind of thing. I got to have run-ins with a couple of my old favorites and the guy who was my first trainer when I worked there. Good times.

 

4 hours ago, Treva said:

Ah yessss the realizing you don't have to write scenes in order.  My problem is I never got back to writing the things I missed.  Do the thing!  Be constructive!  Achieve all the Art!

 

I shall! As long as I can keep the cards together and refer back to them, it should be fine. I will trust in the Heart of the Cards.

 

*

 

And then I went into overdraft. Sigh. I thought I was past this.

 

Seeing that last night - and rushing around to gather spare change so I could afford to eat dinner - really forced me to stop and observe and think. Because while I am getting a raise soon, it's not going to be much, and in the meantime I'm wanting to do things like live in an apartment and pay for my car and pay for my schooling and eat high quality food and go to a high quality dojo. None of that stuff is cheap. None of that stuff is significant on its own, but taken as a whole, it's all really added up.

 

I found myself asking, "Kishi, is this really how you want to adult?"

 

So, after some hard thought and contemplation, I've decided to step out of the gym and back to calisthenics and kettlebells. It's a frustrating and bitter decision, but I know that if I don't do it, I'm going to be kicking myself and wondering as the days go by whether or not I can actually pay for my part of the apartment and all that. Best to be ready before it comes.

 

I talked to my brother about how to feed that kind of beast and he said, "Figure out maintenance, get enough protein, and wait." Figures.

 

Fortunately, there are positives to this. I will be spending more time in the dojo as a result, and I'll be able to really hone in on the GB program. Speaking of, I'm just about finished with F1. I get to start playing with advancements there, which is pretty great. Except I'm not really - turns out you earn new progressions within as you go. Sweet.

 

So, I'll be retooling a bunch of stuff again, but at least it's volitional this time. Somewhat.

 

I played with snatches and SLS last night and did my run as well. Today, the plan is to go to the gym to close that out, as well as to figure out if there are any parks nearby that I can go play in, and if so, if there's a possibility to hang up the rings. I think I've got a park in mind that's actually super close to the dojo, but it couldn't hurt to look a little more.

 

Wrote, ate, slept. Not the worst of all days.

 

GOAL 1: -/-

 

GOAL 2: 2/2

 

GOAL 3: 2/2

 

GOAL 4: 2/2

Link to comment

Quiet night last night. I went to go pull the trigger on cancelling the gym, then spent the rest of the evening wandering around Raleigh looking for a field. Good times. Found some places that should work, but the only way to know for sure is to go to them and try. I've loaded my bells into the car and I'll be headed out to these parks today to give it a shot.

 

Sensei and I got into some political/media bickering on FB yesterday which carried into last night. He was right, and now I'm going to have to eat crow again. Being humble sucks sometimes.

 

Anyway, I wound up in such a funk about training that while I tried to do some handstand work, I ultimately failed and had to settle for a bad session. I imagine I'll probably be sliding back on this a bit as I'm going to be separating the GB and S&S work - one of these is meant to go kind of slow, and the other is meant to blend attributes. I hadn't been doing the handstand work in quite the same way and as a result I fried out.

 

Meh. It happens.

 

Ate dinner late and got to bed late as a result. Kind of tired today, but life goes on. Completely flubbed on the writing, though. No excuses. :(

 

GOAL 1: -/-

 

GOAL 2: 3/3

 

GOAL 3: 2/3

 

GOAL 4: 2/3

Link to comment

Emotions play havoc with training sessions, don't they? Some hard decisions and interpersonal conflicts in the same 24 hours will do that. Hope it gets better soon.

  • Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

Link to comment
22 hours ago, Kishi said:

Yeah, I know I'm probably being paranoid. I've just seen chicken breasts go kind of slimy before and, well, it's not fun, you know? Anyway, nothing wrong with a healthy sense of something getting ready to go wrong. :D

 

Yeah, I know that frustration and disappointment when your intended lunch has turned on you. Here are a few suggestions to help prevent that:

  • Invest in freezer safe/microwave safe storage containers the right size for lunches. I like the Pyrex 3-cup rectangular containers. The ones with snap-on lids are more expensive, but they don't leak if they get tipped in your bag on the way to work. Watch for sales on sets of containers.
  • Buy a roll of freezer tape and a Sharpe. It looks like plain masking tape, but stays on in the freezer. These are key components of the system. Pro tip: fold under the end of the tape (~0.5cm) so that you have a tab for easy removal of the labels.
  • Every time you batch cook, prepare a couple lunches, LABEL THEM with the contents and DATE, and freeze them. Mystery food does not get eaten. The dates let you know which things need to be eaten first (or thrown out if the date is too old).
  • Put together additional lunches to have in the fridge for the next several days. Being able to grab and go is a great timesaver in the morning.
  • Veggies can be blanched or cooked al dente. They will cook more when they are reheated. Freezing and thawing also makes veggies softer.

Using the freezer system is a great plan for someone who is cooking for one or two. You can make a big batch of food without eating the same thing for a week. After a few weeks of batch cooking your freezer will be stocked with a variety of meals. You don't even need a cooler bag for taking them to work. They will thaw and be ready to reheat by lunch time.

 

22 hours ago, Kishi said:

Seeing that last night - and rushing around to gather spare change so I could afford to eat dinner - really forced me to stop and observe and think. Because while I am getting a raise soon, it's not going to be much, and in the meantime I'm wanting to do things like live in an apartment and pay for my car and pay for my schooling and eat high quality food and go to a high quality dojo. None of that stuff is cheap. None of that stuff is significant on its own, but taken as a whole, it's all really added up.

 

I found myself asking, "Kishi, is this really how you want to adult?"

 

So, after some hard thought and contemplation, I've decided to step out of the gym and back to calisthenics and kettlebells. It's a frustrating and bitter decision, but I know that if I don't do it, I'm going to be kicking myself and wondering as the days go by whether or not I can actually pay for my part of the apartment and all that. Best to be ready before it comes.

 

Good for you for making the hard decisions. Way to adult!

 

You made great progress last year training in the garage. Not an ideal environment, but you proved that you don't need the gym. I'm confident you will come up with an insane program that takes advantage of all the training methods you've used.

  • Like 2

Level 60  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

Link to comment
23 hours ago, Urgan said:

Emotions play havoc with training sessions, don't they? Some hard decisions and interpersonal conflicts in the same 24 hours will do that. Hope it gets better soon.

 

It did! Just, a lot of hard adjustments having to be made all at once, that kind of thing. But they did not last.

 

20 hours ago, Mistr said:

Yeah, I know that frustration and disappointment when your intended lunch has turned on you. Here are a few suggestions to help prevent that:

  • Invest in freezer safe/microwave safe storage containers the right size for lunches. I like the Pyrex 3-cup rectangular containers. The ones with snap-on lids are more expensive, but they don't leak if they get tipped in your bag on the way to work. Watch for sales on sets of containers.
  • Buy a roll of freezer tape and a Sharpe. It looks like plain masking tape, but stays on in the freezer. These are key components of the system. Pro tip: fold under the end of the tape (~0.5cm) so that you have a tab for easy removal of the labels.
  • Every time you batch cook, prepare a couple lunches, LABEL THEM with the contents and DATE, and freeze them. Mystery food does not get eaten. The dates let you know which things need to be eaten first (or thrown out if the date is too old).
  • Put together additional lunches to have in the fridge for the next several days. Being able to grab and go is a great timesaver in the morning.
  • Veggies can be blanched or cooked al dente. They will cook more when they are reheated. Freezing and thawing also makes veggies softer.

 

THESE ARE GOOD SUGGESTIONS. I will keep them in mind.

 

20 hours ago, Mistr said:

Good for you for making the hard decisions. Way to adult!

 

You made great progress last year training in the garage. Not an ideal environment, but you proved that you don't need the gym. I'm confident you will come up with an insane program that takes advantage of all the training methods you've used.

 

Thanks! Adulting is hard, and I don't get to just do what I want. XD

 

That was actually part of the calculus. I don't need the gym in order to make strength progress and such. As far as programs go, though, I think I'm actually going to keep things pretty simple - just kettlebells and the Foundations series from GB. Depending on the shape that winds up taking, I might go ahead and start to add some flexibility on as well. I don't see why that wouldn't play well.

 

*

 

Everything turned out okay. :)

 

Day started off with some good news: after a year at my job, I've officially earned permanency! Meaning that I get a raise and I get much harder to terminate. Groovy. :D

 

After the work was done, I went to the park to train. Did my swings and get ups, and didn't die. Sensei didn't make me eat crow at Karate afterward, although apparently I missed a real asshole of a prospective student on Tuesday. He couldn't acknowledge our opening time ("Yeah, I kept coming at 7:20, 7:20, I even stayed 'til 7:25." We open at 7:30), thought our karate looked sketchy, couldn't throw a punch, dared to attempt to critique sensei despite his lack of ability, and then wouldn't spar afterward. Anyway, yeah, he's not going to be back. And if he does, I might just have to... gently and lovingly correct him. With my fist.

 

What. With 16 oz of material, it'd be like hitting him with a pillow. A pillow with a fist in it, yes, but still.

 

Although, I dunno. @Shotokan, you've seen the video of our dojo, with me having posted on social media and here. What do you think? Do we look sketchy?

 

Today, I found out that Raleigh actually in point of fact does have a workout park. It even looks like they have some parts that can work for The Dreaded Side Lever (Human Flag), which is a huge obstacle to have to face in the long run. I'm going to go check it out today and see what that does to the commute to the dojo. It's a good night for it. The kali teacher (I guess you call him a guru? Not sure if that's the right word or not) has a very easygoing manner as far as when people show up or don't. It's kind of weird. But whatever. The judoka who showed up didn't seem out of sorts for having showed up half an hour late and it didn't seem to matter.

 

I planned a scene after as well. So, all things considered, I'm back on track.

 

GOAL 1: -/-

 

GOAL 2: 4/4

 

GOAL 3: 3/4

 

GOAL 4: 3/4

 

I think I may have to reconsider a bit about the gym. Reason being, I need a heavy bag for striking. It's making a huge difference in terms of practice and timing and all that stuff. The only place that really has a bag that I can hit is the Apex outlet of the gym I was going to. There is good news, though - I can lower my rate to just attend that gym and not have to pay the price I was paying. They've given me to the end of the month, so I can play around with this and see what happens.

 

This does not mean a return to the barbells, though. That particular gym is only practical for me on the weekends, so there's no point in trying to hit up a barbell program on top of that. I mean, like, I guess I could switch back to a 5/3/1 two-a-day, but without any rest days inbetween that just gets nasty and starts looking less like a buildup and more like a teardown. Especially if you throw judo on top of that, as I'm meaning to. Tearing down is not useful to me.

 

Someday I'll probably go back to doing Squatz and Deadz, because those are just too much fun, but right now that just doesn't seem practical. And anyway, I have a projected 1RM DL in the 300s, which I got just through effing around with kettlebells and my other stuff. I'm sure I'll be fine. We'll have to test that someday, though.

 

Aaaaand, memo to me, have to go see Wonder Woman at some point, because it looks like DC finally made a good movie. Have to see it for myself.

  • Like 6
Link to comment

That prospective student sounds like so much fun to play with! People like him made me happy when I was still training regularly.

 

No, I'm not a masochist in my martial arts. I was the class enforcer [emoji48] people that were being colossal dicks got to play with me, and my instructor let me do as I please (within reasonable limits). Which meant more hitting more harder. Thems were the days.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Battle Log

Lifetime Training Goals

2017 Goals

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Avatar courtesy of Starpuck

Link to comment
20 hours ago, mightstone2k said:

That prospective student sounds like so much fun to play with! People like him made me happy when I was still training regularly.

 

No, I'm not a masochist in my martial arts. I was the class enforcer emoji48.png people that were being colossal dicks got to play with me, and my instructor let me do as I please (within reasonable limits). Which meant more hitting more harder. Thems were the days.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Nah, man, I get it. I suppose I'll have to be enforcer in addition to apprentice as, you know, there's only a couple of us studying under sensei. But like I said, this guy. He peaced out before he could spar. Because he was 'too tired.' Yeah. Okay.

 

20 hours ago, Urgan said:

Bonus is his ego would likely prevent him from bailing on said correction.

 

Well, didn't stop this guy. This was some self-presesrving ego ish.

 

*

 

Good news everyone! I managed to get up in time to Judo!

 

Bad news everyone! I still didn't go!

 

Mostly for psychological reasons. It's not close by on a Saturday, and the class today is more of an open mat kind of thing, and I'm really insecure about how far behind my judo is. It's a lot to overcome, for me, and I just didn't pull it off today. Everything else went fine - I woke up refreshed with plenty of time to drink coffee and take a leisurely start to the day. But the leisure just kept going. And going. And going.

 

I know that getting rocked in judo is a thing that you just have to deal with. Playing against people whom you can't beat is just par for the course, especially when you're in a competition dojo. But if I'm honest about it, that's really frustrating. Doesn't feel like you learn anything except how to take falls. And taking falls is really hyper-important, but putting all this energy into learning how to throw just to not be able to do anything about it is really freaking demotivating.

 

To be clear, though, that's an obstacle no matter what level your judo is. Either you play with someone who outplays you, or you play with someone who won't play by stiff-arming you (a thing that rookies do to feel better about themselves that I never learned and is subsequently used against me a lot. It can be played around. But it's a dick move). I tell myself to do judo because it plays well with karate and covers a lot of the ranges of grappling and groundwork that karate doesn't. I just... have a hard time applying discipline to get into a situation where it feels like I'm not learning anything except what it feels like to get dunked on.

 

That's a personal problem, though, and the fact is I've used judo in karate to good effect. I rationally know that there's value in it. It's just really hard to get over that hump on a Saturday morning.

 

So, if that's the obstacle, then I need to find another way to attack it. Fortunately, the dojo has actually presented a good way around it. The students have realized that there's a wide range of skill represented, so it's split into a beginner class for novices and an advanced class for the senpai. Even better, the beginner class is set up on Wednesdays. And I no longer have the Iron to keep me away.

 

Okay. Personal Mini-Challenge - Go to Judo on Wednesday.

 

This also means that I'm going to have to keep evolving the other work I do outside of it to accommodate for it. It might be the day that I wind up doing snatch practice and leg work because that's just comparatively brief compared to everything else.

 

Speaking of brief, vigorous effort, played at the workout park yesterday and did core. And all I can say is wow. Totally changes the game to do all that stuff at once. Couldn't complete the MN progression, so gonna have to bring that back down to something I can actually do. Still incredible, though. And, it was a super-easy commute afterward too - got to the dojo a half hour early.

 

Found another park that actually seems to be made for doing terrible things to yourself. Ten minutes from work, ten minutes from the dojo. Looks like it'll be fun. I might actually be able to continue my run training there as opposed to having to do something else.

 

Too much mind. Not enough Empty. Today, coffee, and then to one gym to close out my membership (the one that I used to go to that I kept for my bro who isn't using it anymore) and another to continue to rebuild and redevelop things. That's the trick with two things that leave the programming up to you - it's a lot of choice, but it's also a lot of possibility to get paralyzed by indecision.

 

Okay. Let's do it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines