Teirin gears up for another Titan Challenge

Teirin

It's still largely the same things remixed, but that's what I still need to work on.

The Titan Challenge approaches! Prepare for it:

Run 1/week at least

Strength train 2/week at least

Plan what to take

• Running sneakers
  • what clothes?
  • gloves
  • cell phone case?? Would love to take it for pictures - but water obstacles?
  • Sun block
  • bug spray

And the big one:  the Period Problem.  I will probably be mulling over this one a fair bit this challenge as I am due to be on the worst day of it during the race.  Because of course.  So if anyone is bothered by this sort of talk, be warned.  I will not be spoiler tagging it. 

Sleep FFS

Have food and everything ready at least an hour before time to sleep - except Wednesday Game night, try and have done in advance

in bed by midnight, pref earlier

Try to be active enough that I'm tired.  I've been pacing a lot at night recently.

Take inhalers at 9 pm, at least until the allergen levels settle down

Have fun, run Alternity

At least 3 days/week do something fun.  Be it reading, video games, guitar, working on my Alternity game, watching something, whatever.  So long as I enjoy it and it's not something I have to do, it counts.

Still figuring out the mechanics for new Alternity, but I'm fairly happy with them so far.  Ran a first session last Wednesday.  It is nice to be back to GMing, even if it's pre-fab stuff right now.

Just started re-reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I haven't read it in at least 15 years.  Needs to be fixed.  

Dragon Age: Inquistion and Mass Effect now work on my PC, FFXIV: Stormblood Expansion is due out in a few weeks. 

Remember that I'm moving soon

Declutter or clean a thing 1/week

Please enjoy a Lego verison of When The World Breaks Down.

• Like 3

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

First weekend:  Fun stuff done, sleeping well, a few initial ideas going on the Period Problem.  No workout this weekend :-(  I did get a run and 4ish hours of treego in last week though, as well as a lot of walking and my daily stretching and foam rolling.  Not completely inactive either.

Some new Alternity setting notes here.

It seems that they do not have the rights to use the original system settings.  Not super happy about that.  They have mentioned the possibility of unofficial race traits for the other Alternity races.  I hope so.  Otherwise I will make some up.  I AM going to use that pile of resources. 

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

On 5/30/2017 at 10:57 AM, Twilight said:

If you'd like to brainstorm options for the Period Problem, I'm in!

My suggestions: menstrual cup, and the Kiran Ghandi/Uta Pippig solution ("fuck off, you guys, I'm running here").  The former works better if you have a month to practice it.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 5/30/2017 at 0:57 PM, Twilight said:

If you'd like to brainstorm options for the Period Problem, I'm in!

On 5/31/2017 at 10:46 AM, Treva said:

me too!! The struggle is real.

On 6/2/2017 at 2:52 AM, sarakingdom said:

My suggestions: menstrual cup, and the Kiran Ghandi/Uta Pippig solution ("fuck off, you guys, I'm running here").  The former works better if you have a month to practice it.

On 6/2/2017 at 11:53 AM, Twilight said:

Yeah it took me a couple of cycles to get the hang of the cup. It doesn't work for me any more, which makes me sad! I'm not shaped right for it any more. :(

Aww, it sucks that you can't use it anymore Twilight!

Thanks, all of you.  I'm primarily worried about the water obstacles.  I normally just use pads, but they're no good in water obstacles.  Tampons are not an option.  I have a cup but haven't used it.  There's concern that it can cause problems with an IUD, which I have.  I have ordered some Thinx, but they'll have the same issue as a pad. 

Exercising heavily does condense my period but also makes the cramps much worse.  If I work out a lot this month, it may be short enough to be mostly over by race day.  This isn't something I can depend on, and hasn't gone well this week so far. 

If all else fails, I can skip the water obstacles.  I did that last year, when the same thing was an issue. Just kind of shitty to have to skip ~25 % of the obstacles. The majority of my team will be coworkers, so I'm not really willing to go with the free bleeding option :-)

Any further ideas or experience?

On 6/1/2017 at 2:20 PM, Mistr said:

Following!

I found that stress-tab B vitamins helped with my emotional roller coaster for the Period Problem. Vast quantities of chocolate also help. :D 

All true!  I've found that the most effective help is the warning in my app.  If I'm warned, the stress isn't as bad.

On 5/30/2017 at 5:09 PM, Kishi said:

Sleep is good.

Food is also good. But both at once is bad.

I struggle with this too. Here's hoping we both get what we need!

Heh, yes.  Hope things are going well.

I haven't abandoned, but this week was rough.  Month end + other stuff means that the work week has been 51 or so hours so far and I should probably head back tomorrow.  Sleep has not been great, which isn't helping.

Ran Thursday:  4 km in 26 min.  Not my best time.  Was planning for 5km but we were under a severe thunderstorm watch and it started to rain. 

Ran the rest of the intro adventure for Alternity on Wednesday.  That went well and I think we have most of the basics worked out.  I really like their initiative and actions setup.

Also finally saw Logan, and only a week behind on Doctor Who. 

Trista, one of my cats, is having some dental work on Monday.  She had another minor procedure recently and is ok with anesthesia, but I still fret.

In the mood for some Scar Symmetry.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

On 6/2/2017 at 9:53 AM, Twilight said:

Yeah it took me a couple of cycles to get the hang of the cup. It doesn't work for me any more, which makes me sad! I'm not shaped right for it any more. :(

I found the brand of the cup made a huge difference.  They all have different dimensions, and some just totally don't work for some people.  (I once found a great chart that showed the dimensions of all the different brands.  It's a huge range of sizes, there's nothing standardized at all.)  The big problem is, the only way to find one that works is trial and error.

13 minutes ago, Teirin said:

I have a cup but haven't used it.  There's concern that it can cause problems with an IUD, which I have. 

I've heard both ways, yeah.  Some people say it's fine, others are worried about the strings.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

On 6/4/2017 at 2:02 AM, sarakingdom said:

I found the brand of the cup made a huge difference.  They all have different dimensions, and some just totally don't work for some people.  (I once found a great chart that showed the dimensions of all the different brands.  It's a huge range of sizes, there's nothing standardized at all.)  The big problem is, the only way to find one that works is trial and error.

I've heard both ways, yeah.  Some people say it's fine, others are worried about the strings.

This is largely what I've heard, to both.  :-/

Trista's dental surgery went well!  The problem tooth is out and the anesthesia wasn't a problem.  She is still dopey and super-snuggly.  She keeps burying her face in my side, which is adorable.  We're going to watch some Voltron.

Otherwise, got to bed quite early last night so I could drop her off early.  Roughly consistent with my history, sleep was shitty.  I mostly slept between 2:30 and 6 am.

Not doing much else this evening. 

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

On 04/06/2017 at 1:02 AM, sarakingdom said:

My cervix is low and off centre, so it's not even the brand of cup, but the cup shape in general. I did a lot of research before buying my last one because I was looking for one that would work for my shape, but no luck.

On 04/06/2017 at 0:44 AM, Teirin said:

Any further ideas or experience?

Ran Thursday:  4 km in 26 min.  Not my best time.  Was planning for 5km but we were under a severe thunderstorm watch and it started to rain. 

Trista, one of my cats, is having some dental work on Monday.  She had another minor procedure recently and is ok with anesthesia, but I still fret.

How about a menstrual sponge? Or is that too much like a tampon?

Go you! You still did it! :D

Dopey cats are adorable.

18 hours ago, Teirin said:

Trista's dental surgery went well!  The problem tooth is out and the anesthesia wasn't a problem.  She is still dopey and super-snuggly.  She keeps burying her face in my side, which is adorable.  We're going to watch some Voltron.

You sure you want to show a cartoon about transforming cats to a cat who's high? She might get ideas... you may not be able to talk her out of them...

23 hours ago, Twilight said:

My cervix is low and off centre, so it's not even the brand of cup, but the cup shape in general. I did a lot of research before buying my last one because I was looking for one that would work for my shape, but no luck.

How about a menstrual sponge? Or is that too much like a tampon?

Go you! You still did it! :D

Dopey cats are adorable.

That must be really frustrating :-(   Also, expensive for something you can't return.

Oh!  Never looked into those!  Thank you.  I don't know why tampons were a problem, so I'd try something else.  Honestly, it may have even just been a coincidence.  They were the worst cramps I've ever had though, so it's an experiment I'm not really enthused about repeating.

She is so sweet already, but she really wants snuggles right now. 

So the plan was to head home and do some interval training last night.  What actually happened was working a few hours extra and being useless after work.  Total functional things done included folding the laundry, sorting the budgetting, getting (good!) food ready for supper and today's lunch, and reviewing some Alternity stuff.  So I got things done, but they were low-activity things. 

Rather oddly, I was not restless last night.  I usually pace the apartment quite a lot.  As a result, I was in bed even earlier than targetted and slept well through the night!  I did wake up hungry around 5, but a drink and a small spoon of PB sorted that.  Slept until just before the alarm.  This is really good for me.  I still didn't get out of bed on time, but Trista needed snuggles and reassurance.  She got them and her meds, which required more petting.

Game night is switching to Thursday so I have tonight free.  Workout, for certain, and Alternity prep.  Also, kitty cuddles.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

32 minutes ago, Teirin said:

So the plan was to head home and do some interval training last night.  What actually happened was working a few hours extra and being useless after work.  Total functional things done included folding the laundry, sorting the budgetting, getting (good!) food ready for supper and today's lunch, and reviewing some Alternity stuff.  So I got things done, but they were low-activity things. 

Rather oddly, I was not restless last night.  I usually pace the apartment quite a lot.  As a result, I was in bed even earlier than targetted and slept well through the night!  I did wake up hungry around 5, but a drink and a small spoon of PB sorted that.  Slept until just before the alarm.  This is really good for me.  I still didn't get out of bed on time, but Trista needed snuggles and reassurance.  She got them and her meds, which required more petting.

Good for you for getting low activity stuff done after a few extra hours of work. I worked late on Monday and was totally useless when I got home.

Yay for getting good sleep! And lots of kitty cuddling. 

Level 60  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

On 2017-06-07 at 2:04 PM, Mistr said:

Good for you for getting low activity stuff done after a few extra hours of work. I worked late on Monday and was totally useless when I got home.

Yay for getting good sleep! And lots of kitty cuddling. 

On 2017-06-07 at 4:19 PM, Kishi said:

It's funny how plans can go awry. But it looks like it was a lot of important stuff, and downtime is good too. Also, glad to hear you got a good night's sleep!

I try and regard it as a win, but I really need to work out more.  Titan is in 2 weeks and I've been slacking lately.  Work has been very hectic and there's been a fair number of eatra hours, but still.

So happy about more sleep!  There were 2 bad nights this week, which is better than all of them.

So.  Still haven't gotten a workout in.  THis weekend.  Getting an extra long walk in today heading up to Costco for a stock up.

In Alternity news:  I got the basics of what my players are and aren't interested in for a game.  Have some ideas to work with.  I've been figuring out what character creation rules would be like as they aren't included in the beta.  One player is interested in a T'sa so I'll be working out what teh racial stuff would be for that.  General game type is looking like a crew of scavengers in an old liner converted to a freighter.  I can work with that.  Kinda working with a Firefly/Farscape/Dark Matter feel to things.   

Dark Matter season 3 starts tonight.  Season pass soon!

Kamelot is going to be in Toronto and Montreal in April.  I am thinking about going.  Would involve significant travel and at least a night in a hotel so it's not an easy plan.  Most international bands do not make it east of Montreal unless they're really popular (and even then).  Would very much like to hear this live:

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

11 hours ago, Teirin said:

I just did a crazy thing and bought a VIP ticket for Kamelot. Now freaking out some. I don't do things like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds like so much fun!!! What a cool idea!! Why would it be crazy or freak out worthy? 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Breathe deep.  Seek peace.  Bring a sword.  ---Kishi

Playlist for the Zombie Apocalypse

22 minutes ago, Treva said:

That sounds like so much fun!!! What a cool idea!! Why would it be crazy or freak out worthy? 

I am a hobbit by nature.  I stay home, like my routine, and do not go on adventures.  The ones I do go on mostly still involve me being home by bedtime.  This involves travelling to a place, managing food which will be possibly difficult, and meeting one of my favourite bands.  Not hobbitish.  Fills a spot on my epic quest list!

• Like 4

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

7 minutes ago, Teirin said:

I am a hobbit by nature.  I stay home, like my routine, and do not go on adventures.  The ones I do go on mostly still involve me being home by bedtime.  This involves travelling to a place, managing food which will be possibly difficult, and meeting one of my favourite bands.  Not hobbitish.  Fills a spot on my epic quest list!

I understand this feeling! It is so nice to have ones home and everything in its place and nothing ever gets weird or anxiety inducing. But meeting a famous band!!! Even Bilbo ended up going to Rivendell and was called Elf-Friend for his adventures! Not very hobbitish, but it was good for him. Perhaps this adventure may be good too? What would the difficulty in managing food be?

VERY EPIC QUEST IS EPIC

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

38 minutes ago, Treva said:

I understand this feeling! It is so nice to have ones home and everything in its place and nothing ever gets weird or anxiety inducing. But meeting a famous band!!! Even Bilbo ended up going to Rivendell and was called Elf-Friend for his adventures! Not very hobbitish, but it was good for him. Perhaps this adventure may be good too? What would the difficulty in managing food be?

VERY EPIC QUEST IS EPIC

It will very likely be good for me, just pushing my boundaries by a fair bit  :-)

Difficulty in managing food is my wheat allergy.  It doesn't take much to make me quite sick. It's not going to kill me or anything, but I'm going to be really sick for a day or two and then nauseated for a few more days.  I'm generally disinclined to trust restaurants unless they know what they're doing, especially with the gluten free fad diet still going on.  Travel tends to involve me carrying some food and positioning near a grocery store where I can get fruit/veg/dairy.  It stresses me out though.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

oh I can definitely see how that would be at the very least a hassle, if not plain anxiety provoking.  Your strategy to position near a grocery store and keep safe snacks with you sounds like a good one, rather than trust restaurants.  (If they can shove sugar into anything, I shudder to think what they might be doing with gluten).  Do you know of any chain style places that might be safe?  I see your point with fads--we talked about it in class and how even with the latest craze it hasn't made things any easier with people who have a true allergy.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log