So, I've been having a tough time getting back in the saddle.  It's not that I haven't been active.  I'm still doing parkour class at least once/week, and I've been walking a lot.  But, I've had a ton of adulting to handle in the last many months, and I've really found it difficult to set aside any time for real workouts.  The plan for this challenge is to do a few small things every day, just to get back into having good habits.   I've also been stuck in that unfortunate place where I've hit a huge plateau in parkour and don't feel like I'm improving, so my motivation is low.  But the low motivation is causing me to work out much less, which is in turn really counterproductive for breaking through that plateau.  

1. Put on workout clothes every day.... and then do something.  Yeah, it sounds like a dumb goal, but one of my problems is that I often feel like workout clothes = need to do a full workout when I just don't have time.  But then I feel like I can't do a quick yoga session or hand balancing, or whatever in my "normal clothes."  So, I end up just taking a walk and not doing anything else.  

2. Make a to-do list every day.   It just helps me stay much more organized and productive.

3. At least spend a tiny amount of time researching how to teach piano lessons and vacation stuff every day.  I've played since I was 7, but I know nothing about teaching.  Lessons out here cost like $40 per half hour, so I'd rather try to teach my own kids than pay for lessons.   Also, I'm the person in charge of planning our vacation in late July, so I have to get cracking on that.

4. Tea + reading every evening.  No alcohol in the evening.  No screen time after 10.  My sleep has been exceptionally shitty lately.  Before I see a doctor about this or try drugging myself, I really need to fix these horrible evening habits.  

5.  Post something somewhere on NF at least every day.  I need the motivation boost from being here, so I really need to stick around this challenge!

• Like 9

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Glad to see you doing a challenge. I'll be following.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Yay! Nymeria's back! 

giphy.gif

Your reboot sounds really good to me.  Following along...

• Like 1

Rebooting Ranger and Legionary

"Only a Dead Legionary Gives Up" - Day of the Starwind

"It always seems bad at first, but then I find a way" - Samurai Jack

Day 1: Putting on workout clothes and doing the workout was simple, since it was a parkour day.  I honestly felt like crap due to the poor sleep and allergies, but class ended up being fine.  We worked a lot on seamlessly chaining vaults, rolling through narrow alleys, pop mounts, and rolling dismounts.  After class, I did multiple runs on a cliffhanger type setup (but with a broad enough base that my entire hands could fit on the top.  Tea + reading + no booze also done!  And posting on NF.  I guess I should have added some fine print that the to-do lists and research were for weekdays and not weekends.  :redface-new:  I'd really be setting myself up for failure by expecting to get all of that done with the family underfoot all day.  

Today: I haven't yet put on workout clothes, but I'm going to do so and then do a quick yoga workout after posting this.  

• Like 6

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Glad you're back.  Sorry about the sleeping thing.  Sleep affects everything else too.  I hope your mini interventions can get you back to the land of z's.  I've heard good things about ZMA, but honestly I've not looked into what it actually even is.

• Like 1

Rangering since Sept 2015

Good to have you back! Following

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

On 5/28/2017 at 10:51 AM, Nymeria said:

1. Put on workout clothes every day.... and then do something.

Its amazing what doing something as simple as this does to our mental state.  Yesterday I had to work and was exhausted and kept zoning out at work and once i got home.  I didn't want to workout but got home threw on my workout gear and knocked out a great workout and then continued to work in my garage and get stuff squared away.

• Like 2

Hey Nym! Sounds like we've both been struggling some the last couple months... #AccountabilityFTW

Sleep is a motherfuckin hard sale each night, I know whatcha mean. I hope you can nail some of those struggles down so you don't have to go to a doctor or rely on sleeping pills.

How's the family? The kiddos staying healthy and injury free? How's your elbow feeling these days?

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

20 hours ago, Marauder said:

Glad you're back.  Sorry about the sleeping thing.  Sleep affects everything else too. 

Yeah.  My motivation and mood are awful when I'm not getting enough sleep, and then my anxiety goes through the roof, which makes sleep even harder to come by.  Really, though, as long as I'm fairly disciplined about eating, drinking, and electronics before bed, I generally sleep well.  I don't know why I let myself get into these bad habits all of the time. 

6 hours ago, Myrik said:

Its amazing what doing something as simple as this does to our mental state.  Yesterday I had to work and was exhausted and kept zoning out at work and once i got home.  I didn't want to workout but got home threw on my workout gear and knocked out a great workout and then continued to work in my garage and get stuff squared away.

I'm only 3 days into this, but I can tell it's already helping.  As soon as I put on the workout clothes, I feel like I need to at least do something.  And somehow not putting them on let me procrastinate and then just run out of time.  

4 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

Hey Nym! Sounds like we've both been struggling some the last couple months... #AccountabilityFTW

Sleep is a motherfuckin hard sale each night, I know whatcha mean. I hope you can nail some of those struggles down so you don't have to go to a doctor or rely on sleeping pills.

How's the family? The kiddos staying healthy and injury free? How's your elbow feeling these days?

Wolf

I really hope the sleep issues get under control too.  I don't mind using things like melatonin or benadryl.  But anything stronger than that makes me very nervous.  

Elbow is fine, as long as I don't abuse it too badly in parkour (which I often do, but at least I let it rest afterward).  Sometimes, it can get a bit tight.  Kids are great, but they're always a bit of a source of stress.  I wish I had the mental fortitude to just homeschool them.  But I really don't.  There's also no socially acceptable way for me to unload all of my school -related agitation on anyone, so I mostly have to keep it all bottled in.  Yeah, I have had plenty of conversations with the husband.  But unfortunately for us, I'm the type of person who gets anxious and agitated if I'm not allowed to beat a dead horse into a pulp and dissect a situation or issue from every possible angle, whereas my husband gets anxious about rehashing effectively the same thing ad nauseam.  

Anyway, life/stress/family/adulting stuff and other things have caused me to just feel kind of distracted over the last many months.  This challenge needs to be my opportunity to just stop doing that and get back on track.

• Like 5

My tutorials:

Day 2:  Workout clothes were worn, and I did a 20 minute yoga session, followed by some pull ups and hang board work.  To-do list and research done!  Sleep habits done!  Posting on NF done!

Day 3: Put on the workout clothes and did 20 minutes of weapons work for the mini, followed by 10 minutes of yoga.  I also already did the To-Do list, and I'm posting on NF.  Vacation research will include booking a few hotels later today.  So far, so good with this challenge. :)

• Like 6

My tutorials:

Just wanted to chime in with some advice on piano teaching. If the kids are school age, it is much easier than you'd think. Once they are reading reasonably well (depending on the kid usually sometime 5-8yrs), they will pick up music theory fast because the abstract ideas aren't so foreign. Until they get to intermediate level piano, you will be fine teaching them yourself from a pedagogy standpoint - it is literally just a matter of getting them doing 5-10min practice every day.

On the other hand, some kids won't listen to their parents teaching and will drive you nuts if you try to teach them. In that case, it is not your fault! And finding an advanced student (university or high school) to teach them that will work for less is probably your best bet...also I used to give discounts to teach 2+ kids from same family (one after the other)

HELLLLLOOOO NYM! 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Awesome goals!

Love the put workout clothes on and do something one. Really when you think about it its a good way to transition yourself into doing stuff like that and making it consistent.

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] <--Current Challenge

21 hours ago, Terra said:

Vacations are planned about a year in advance in my house with me as the main planner!  LOL  

Other than Disney stuff, we're kind of in the "throw it together 0-2 months before going" camp.  So, it's quite a bit more stressful. :)  And I'm stuck doing everything.  

20 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Just wanted to chime in with some advice on piano teaching. If the kids are school age, it is much easier than you'd think. Once they are reading reasonably well (depending on the kid usually sometime 5-8yrs), they will pick up music theory fast because the abstract ideas aren't so foreign. Until they get to intermediate level piano, you will be fine teaching them yourself from a pedagogy standpoint - it is literally just a matter of getting them doing 5-10min practice every day.

On the other hand, some kids won't listen to their parents teaching and will drive you nuts if you try to teach them. In that case, it is not your fault! And finding an advanced student (university or high school) to teach them that will work for less is probably your best bet...also I used to give discounts to teach 2+ kids from same family (one after the other)

They're 9 and 7.  I tried teaching them last summer, and things seemed to be going well.  But then I became worried that I was mangling some of the early mechanics, and I would cause them to have to re-learn everything when they eventually graduate to a real teacher.  So, I put them in classes for the last few months.  But honestly, the classes are really expensive, and I've been feeling pretty underwhelmed by the quality of the instruction (or I don't think it's any better than what I was doing before I became insecure about it). :)    

I'm sure it will be fine.  I'll just have to be disciplined enough to make them stick with it and practice.  And I'll have to steel myself a bit against the whining.  

1 hour ago, cn3wton said:

Awesome goals!

Love the put workout clothes on and do something one. Really when you think about it its a good way to transition yourself into doing stuff like that and making it consistent.

Yeah.  For me, it's a great chance to set aside time for myself in the day.  If the workout clothes are on, that's what I'm doing.  Otherwise, I seem to find 20 other things that need to get done, and then I never quite manage to squeeze in the workout.  Juggling priorities is so tough.  

2 hours ago, raptron said:

HELLLLLOOOO NYM! 

Hi!!! :) 

• Like 3

My tutorials:

So, today was one of those days where my workout plan didn't quite work.  I put on the clothes and first tried some weapons work.  After about 10 minutes, I decided that I wasn't really feeling it and instead moved on to handstands.  And then I did a few pull ups and some rail walking practice.  And then I started a 10 minute sun salutation program, but stopped halfway through it.  So, I couldn't quite get  into a groove today, but I at least gave it an honest attempt.  And I still ended up doing 20+ minutes of stuff.  

• Like 5

My tutorials:

On 5/30/2017 at 0:47 PM, Nymeria said:

Elbow is fine, as long as I don't abuse it too badly in parkour (which I often do, but at least I let it rest afterward).  Sometimes, it can get a bit tight.  Kids are great, but they're always a bit of a source of stress.  I wish I had the mental fortitude to just homeschool them.  But I really don't.  There's also no socially acceptable way for me to unload all of my school -related agitation on anyone, so I mostly have to keep it all bottled in.  Yeah, I have had plenty of conversations with the husband.  But unfortunately for us, I'm the type of person who gets anxious and agitated if I'm not allowed to beat a dead horse into a pulp and dissect a situation or issue from every possible angle, whereas my husband gets anxious about rehashing effectively the same thing ad nauseam.

We sound a lot alike in this regard. The infamous, "approach from ALL angles" type deal. Homeschooling your kids is NOT easy to do and like you said, you have to have a special type of fortitude to pull it off. I know it's not quite the same to unload the frustration on here, but I've always found my challenges or BL is a good enough place as any for that unloading. Bottling in frustrations is a sleep depriver in its own right so hopefully just getting to voice these stresses and frustrations will lead to better sleep. Whats gotcha turnt up, Nym?

I'm glad you're not letting the elbow effect your parkour game...I've gone a little soft with my shoulder injury and I'm kinda nervous to push the boundaries with it these days. Maybe I need more mental strength/trust in myself like you do with your elbow. It's strange for me because I've never had fear of doing something when in relation to a prior injury, so all this is new for me.

1 hour ago, Nymeria said:

So, I couldn't quite get  into a groove today, but I at least gave it an honest attempt.  And I still ended up doing 20+ minutes of stuff.  

20+ min of shtuff is better then "no schtuff" :) 

You're still Lara Croft in my eyes-just sayin

e2869a09f799bc6b15bb4b96d1deafa0.gif

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

23 hours ago, Nymeria said:

And I'll have to steel myself a bit against the whining.

Life goals right here folks!!!  :D

Most all of my vacation planning is either Disney (because Disney Vacation Club, fancy name for their time share) or we use my husband's travel points (airlines and hotels both!) and if you don't plan 10-12 months in advance the options are crap!  So yeah...  I've already planned July 2018's vacation.  :ph34r::panda::P

• Like 3

Ranger-Monk Hybrid

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: Chase the Rainbow

On 5/30/2017 at 10:47 AM, Nymeria said:

But unfortunately for us, I'm the type of person who gets anxious and agitated if I'm not allowed to beat a dead horse into a pulp and dissect a situation or issue from every possible angle, whereas my husband gets anxious about rehashing effectively the same thing ad nauseam.  

Sorry, but this made me laugh. It is so me and my husband. I drive him crazy sometimes, he feels like we've already discussed it, and I want to keep processing. :lol:

• Like 2

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

And here comes the greatest of them all, Nym!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Just found your challenge.  Following along for the parkour & stuff :) 

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

I Second Wild Wolf on venting here if need be.

18 hours ago, Terra said:

Most all of my vacation planning is either Disney

My family is planning a huge Disney World Trip(non Vacation club) in December.  12 people for the full 14 days and then 5 more added into the middle days.

• Like 1
On 6/1/2017 at 0:32 PM, Terra said:

Most all of my vacation planning is either Disney (because Disney Vacation Club, fancy name for their time share) or we use my husband's travel points (airlines and hotels both!) and if you don't plan 10-12 months in advance the options are crap!  So yeah...  I've already planned July 2018's vacation.  :ph34r::panda::P

Well, to be fair, I'm concurrently planning the trip we're taking in July and next year's July trip.... which is a Disney one. ;)  

On 6/1/2017 at 0:52 PM, Elastigirl said:

Sorry, but this made me laugh. It is so me and my husband. I drive him crazy sometimes, he feels like we've already discussed it, and I want to keep processing. :lol:

It's a tough relationship dynamic.  He's much more able to compartmentalize when we've done all that we can and have to just wait for results.  And I get much more obsessive when I feel like things are completely out of my hands.

16 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Just found your challenge.  Following along for the parkour & stuff :) 

Do you do parkour? :) 

7 hours ago, Myrik said:

My family is planning a huge Disney World Trip(non Vacation club) in December.  12 people for the full 14 days and then 5 more added into the middle days.

Neat!  I hope you're squeezing Universal into that trip somewhere.  It's pretty amazing, too!

On 5/31/2017 at 2:54 PM, Wild Wolf said:

We sound a lot alike in this regard. The infamous, "approach from ALL angles" type deal. Homeschooling your kids is NOT easy to do and like you said, you have to have a special type of fortitude to pull it off. I know it's not quite the same to unload the frustration on here, but I've always found my challenges or BL is a good enough place as any for that unloading. Bottling in frustrations is a sleep depriver in its own right so hopefully just getting to voice these stresses and frustrations will lead to better sleep. Whats gotcha turnt up, Nym?

I'll just give the tl;dr vent..... which is actually longer than I had expected... Oops.  

Huge school district out here has a "gifted" program that is super inclusive and takes about 20% of the kids in school.  Most of the kids simply need about a 115 (about 85th percentile) on the tests and a recommendation from school, but the whole process is a "holistic" evaluation, where you send in an application and get results with no ability to contact the people evaluating and with no actual stated criteria.  It's not just a pull out program.  It's a completely different school with full time "gifted" programming.  My daughter scored 128 (96th percentile) and got an exceptionally high recommendation from her school.... but she still got rejected.  Meanwhile, every neighbor kid scored about 120 and got in.  So, I'm pissed.  There are basically going to be no moderately smart kids at her school, so she isn't going to learn a damned thing.  I'm also worried because the only thing that really could have caused her to get rejected is that her written output isn't good.  She has sloppy handwriting, poor spelling, and just bad mechanics.  All of these are really common with kids with ADHD, which my daughter in fact has.  So I'm also concerned that my kid is being discriminated against for having ADHD.  If she doesn't get in on the appeal we submitted (I should find out in the next 2 weeks), I'm going to have to consider doing a FOIA and having to deal with a bunch of legal bullshit.  I really wish they would give some explanation or let us sit down and talk about it with someone.  All you get is a form letter saying that your kid isn't eligible for the program.  I tried asking at my daughter's school, and all I got from the people there was that they couldn't believe she got rejected, it was a completely wrong decision, but they can't really do anything about it.  

On top of that, I feel guilty because I've felt like something was not quite right with my daughter, but it took until 3rd grade for me to get her evaluated for the ADHD.  So, she hasn't been able to get treatment.  She also had a teacher who hated her last year and she was bullied, and I did a horrible job with defending and advocating for her.  I also live in a super competitive area in which a lot of parents put their kids into academic after school programs, force them to do a lot of school work, and don't let them play video games.  I'm much more laid back, and my kids do a lot of just playing and video games.  So, I feel worried that I somehow screwed up my kid, and the committee who evaluated her could just see that she isn't as polished as the kids who don't get screen time...  And she feels dumb now.

Then to top everything off, my son gets nothing at all from school other than I guess some social time with kids he doesn't particularly like.  He's a kid who basically needs to be homeschooled.  I just don't think I can do it.  And I'd worry that we'd both turn into huge hermits.

My tutorials: