Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Things are still going well with the challenge.  Yesterday, I went to a park with a fitness course and did that as my daily exercise.  Today, I did 30 minutes of yoga and 10 minutes of weapons, to finish the mini challenge feat for the week.

 

I've been sleeping much better.  It's amazing to me how much turning off the electronics, reading, and having herbal tea really helps me sleep.  

 

And the to-do list has been great for me.  I've been much more motivated and efficient.

  • Like 2

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

 ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Link to comment

Yay for doing well on the challenge! On the spoiler; You are a good mom. I've heard you talk about your kids, the time you spend with them, the times you have stuck up for them and fought to get them what they needed. I can tell you love and care for your kids. I'm sorry the school situation is so rough. I have the feeling that those kids who have parents that are pushing them so hard are going to have trouble later in life. 

 

In our area,  we have areas that are a mix of homeschool and  public. It is sponsored by the public school, you set your curriculum, but a teacher approves it, and you have some school activates. If your schools have something it might be worth looking into. 

  • Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Link to comment

It's not your fault you are surrounded by helicopter parents who don't let their kids have fun.

It's not your fault some bureaucrat screwed up on your daughter's application.

Your ability to homeschool your kids is not indicative of your worth as a parent.

 

EG was right, you are a good mom.

  • Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Link to comment
4 hours ago, Nymeria said:

 

Do you do parkour? :) 

 

I do the components of parkour but don't really use them to streamline my running, which is the kind of the the whole point of parkour.  Instead of free running it is more like free walking :)

 

  • Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

 

Link to comment

@EG and Tank:  I wish we had a partial homeschooling setup.  Unfortunately, I'm in one of the largest school districts in the country, which means that rules are rigid and there's entirely too much bureaucracy to get anything done.  I'm already putting both kids in private school math next year, since the math is completely inadequate in the public schools.  It's not that I'm basing my worth as a mom on my lack of ability to homeschool.  It's more that neither kid is appropriately served by public school, so it's unfortunate that I don't have any great options.  It also isn't the case that the bureaucrat screwed up my daughter's application.  It's more that (s)he looked at my daughter's file, and despite the high test scores and high recommendations, found her lacking in some way.  My theory is that they accept any kid who looks like they might have some potential to be marginally gifted in language arts, but they'll happily shit on any kid who actually is gifted in math/science.  :angry:

 

Saturday update:  Today, we went to parkour!  Class was great, and we got a lot of practice working on fluidly doing tacs into vaults.  I also did a lot of wall run/top outs as well as down kongs.  After class, I did an extra 40 minutes of open gym.  The really great part is that the weather tomorrow should be perfect for swimming, and now we're free to go!  

  • Like 4

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

 ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Link to comment
5 hours ago, Nymeria said:

@EG and Tank:  I wish we had a partial homeschooling setup.  Unfortunately, I'm in one of the largest school districts in the country, which means that rules are rigid and there's entirely too much bureaucracy to get anything done.  I'm already putting both kids in private school math next year, since the math is completely inadequate in the public schools.  It's not that I'm basing my worth as a mom on my lack of ability to homeschool.  It's more that neither kid is appropriately served by public school, so it's unfortunate that I don't have any great options.  It also isn't the case that the bureaucrat screwed up my daughter's application.  It's more that (s)he looked at my daughter's file, and despite the high test scores and high recommendations, found her lacking in some way.  My theory is that they accept any kid who looks like they might have some potential to be marginally gifted in language arts, but they'll happily shit on any kid who actually is gifted in math/science.  :angry:

 

Saturday update:  Today, we went to parkour!  Class was great, and we got a lot of practice working on fluidly doing tacs into vaults.  I also did a lot of wall run/top outs as well as down kongs.  After class, I did an extra 40 minutes of open gym.  The really great part is that the weather tomorrow should be perfect for swimming, and now we're free to go!  

Have fun swimming tomorrow! 

 

Sounds like a wise decision to put them in private school. Do you know which school yet?  That would be awesome if you can find a great fit for them, and a school that will meet their needs.

 

I agree with your theory about schools favoring language arts over science/ math.  One of the reasons I started homeschooling my son is I knew chance are he wouldn't fit into the public school mold. He taught himself to read at 4, was excellent at math, but he hated writing and had poor fine motor skills  when he was young.

  • Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Link to comment
5 hours ago, Nymeria said:

Saturday update:  Today, we went to parkour!  Class was great, and we got a lot of practice working on fluidly doing tacs into vaults.  I also did a lot of wall run/top outs as well as down kongs.  After class, I did an extra 40 minutes of open gym.  The really great part is that the weather tomorrow should be perfect for swimming, and now we're free to go!  

Sounds like a lot of fun, I wish I had a parkour gym near me.  When you are doing your wall runs and top outs are you doing one smooth motion or do you hang on the edge (either dead hang or cat hang)?  I am working on this and am having trouble with maintaining grip when I kick away from the wall to shift from dead to cat or from cat to press.  Do you have any advice?

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

 

Link to comment
7 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Have fun swimming tomorrow! 

 

Sounds like a wise decision to put them in private school. Do you know which school yet?  That would be awesome if you can find a great fit for them, and a school that will meet their needs.

 

 

It's just for math.  They're signed up for AOPS academy, which is a really rigorous program.  And the bonus is that my son is enrolled in their 4th grade math class, which puts him on track to take Algebra in 5th grade. :)  Full private schools out here are absurdly expensive, so there's no way they would be feasible.  

 

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Sounds like a lot of fun, I wish I had a parkour gym near me.  When you are doing your wall runs and top outs are you doing one smooth motion or do you hang on the edge (either dead hang or cat hang)?  I am working on this and am having trouble with maintaining grip when I kick away from the wall to shift from dead to cat or from cat to press.  Do you have any advice?

 

If the wall is lower (like 7'), I do it in one smooth motion.  If it's 9', I usually wall run into the cat hang, and then press from there.  You really don't want to be in a dead hang, as it puts a ton of strain on the grip.  What I do is go into a cat hang, keep one foot high, and drop the other one down.  Then, I will drive the leg that was hanging down upward, while simultaneously pulling with my arms and pushing with the other leg on the wall.  I'm not particularly strong, so this just gives me enough height to throw a forearm onto the wall and press up from there.   The guys at my gym who can do muscle ups with no problem just kind of push on the wall and pop their feet right up on top.  

 

I wish I had a better video for showing this, but this is the best I have:

 

  • Like 2

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

 ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Nymeria said:

 

It's just for math.  They're signed up for AOPS academy, which is a really rigorous program.  And the bonus is that my son is enrolled in their 4th grade math class, which puts him on track to take Algebra in 5th grade. :)  Full private schools out here are absurdly expensive, so there's no way they would be feasible.  

 

 

If the wall is lower (like 7'), I do it in one smooth motion.  If it's 9', I usually wall run into the cat hang, and then press from there.  You really don't want to be in a dead hang, as it puts a ton of strain on the grip.  What I do is go into a cat hang, keep one foot high, and drop the other one down.  Then, I will drive the leg that was hanging down upward, while simultaneously pulling with my arms and pushing with the other leg on the wall.  I'm not particularly strong, so this just gives me enough height to throw a forearm onto the wall and press up from there.   The guys at my gym who can do muscle ups with no problem just kind of push on the wall and pop their feet right up on top.  

 

I wish I had a better video for showing this, but this is the best I have:

 

Thanks, that video was actually very helpful.  I have looked for a lot of youtube tutorials but they usually just say "kick out and away from the wall because trying to push up with your legs will result in no grip and having to use pure muscle to get up" without talking about how to keep a grip on the wall with the outward momentum.  After watching your video it seems that you are able to get good upward momentum without having to push away from the wall more than a few inches.

 

Now I need to go out and give it another try :) 

  • Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

 

Link to comment
39 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Thanks, that video was actually very helpful.  I have looked for a lot of youtube tutorials but they usually just say "kick out and away from the wall because trying to push up with your legs will result in no grip and having to use pure muscle to get up" without talking about how to keep a grip on the wall with the outward momentum.  After watching your video it seems that you are able to get good upward momentum without having to push away from the wall more than a few inches.

 

Now I need to go out and give it another try :) 

 

Technically speaking, you ARE supposed to push away from the wall.  I've just found that if you aren't strong enough to launch your upper body up enough that you can throw it forward over the wall, it just doesn't work.  Pop ups on the lower (like 4' boxes) work the same way.  you push out from the wall and try to get your hips up.  But you have to counter-balance it by throwing the rest of your body/center of mass over the wall/box.  If you can't get enough power from the kick and the pulling to do that, you're going to get stuck or peel off of the wall.  

 

I just do it like a kind of lame assisted muscle up, where I use my feet to give myself a little extra push, then chicken wing it until I can get up there.  It isn't pretty, but it works.  

This site might be useful:

https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/get-up-that-wall-mastering-the-parkour-climb-up

 

At the better "levels", they will kick out from the wall.  But starting at more of a "level 1" climb up is perfectly fine, too!  At best, I have a stronger "level 1" going on. 

  • Like 2

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

 ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Link to comment
31 minutes ago, Nymeria said:

 

Technically speaking, you ARE supposed to push away from the wall.  I've just found that if you aren't strong enough to launch your upper body up enough that you can throw it forward over the wall, it just doesn't work.  Pop ups on the lower (like 4' boxes) work the same way.  you push out from the wall and try to get your hips up.  But you have to counter-balance it by throwing the rest of your body/center of mass over the wall/box.  If you can't get enough power from the kick and the pulling to do that, you're going to get stuck or peel off of the wall.  

 

I just do it like a kind of lame assisted muscle up, where I use my feet to give myself a little extra push, then chicken wing it until I can get up there.  It isn't pretty, but it works.  

This site might be useful:

https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/get-up-that-wall-mastering-the-parkour-climb-up

 

At the better "levels", they will kick out from the wall.  But starting at more of a "level 1" climb up is perfectly fine, too!  At best, I have a stronger "level 1" going on. 

OK, this is a little bit different from the other tutorials I have seen which either have the kick out from the wall first (which creates a grip problem for me) or shooting up the bottom leg to create momentum (which kind of makes sense to me in theory but I wasn't able to make it work).  This way of pushing with the upper leg and then using the lower one for the forward/backward movement is new and I will try it out.

 

For lower walls (5-7 feet) I don't have a problem because I can get good momentum from the wall run.  Getting up from the cat hang is where I struggle.

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 3132Ambition [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

 

Link to comment

@Nymeria

I've read you want to teach your kids piano.

I played several years clarinet. When I switched to trumpet I got really disappointed, because my teacher was so focused on techniques that there was no room for enjoying to play anymore. Find music they enjoy for example soundtracks from films. You can even let them do 4 hand pieces. When they enjoy the music then they will even listen when you explain mechanics.

  • Like 1

Was wäre das Leben, hätten wir nicht den Mut, etwas zu riskieren. Vincent van Goch

Link to comment
18 hours ago, Nymeria said:

My theory is that they accept any kid who looks like they might have some potential to be marginally gifted in language arts, but they'll happily shit on any kid who actually is gifted in math/science.  :angry:

Two guesses as to said bureaucrat's major in college.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Link to comment
7 hours ago, Nymeria said:

They're signed up for AOPS academy, which is a really rigorous program.  And the bonus is that my son is enrolled in their 4th grade math class, which puts him on track to take Algebra in 5th grade. :)  Full private schools out here are absurdly expensive, so there's no way they would be feasible.  

 

Wow, Algebra in 5th grade, that is so cool. Private schools here are super expensive too.

  • Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Link to comment

Hi Nymeria,

 

  Please take what you like below, and disregard the rest.  Your mileage may vary:

 

Spoiler

My son was diagnosed with ADHD many years ago, so I went down that road for a while.

 

In terms of your daughter, if she has been diagnosed with ADHD, the school district is required by Federal law to make reasonable accommodations, either in terms of an IEP or a 504 plan.  In other words, if your daughter would have qualified for the gifted program, except for her handwriting, they would have to accept her.  You might look into a local ADHD group, one that has experience with the particular school district, and they might tell you what you can do (or not do).  

 

We had our son in public school for elementary, but he did middle school and high school as a homeschooler.  In general, it worked out well.  One of the reasons it worked is that my wife really didn't have to do it all - we were part of a homeschooling cooperative, where parents, and interested teachers taught classes to the kids.  This meant that the kids got a wider access to learning experiences, and the parents got a break.

 

I'm definitely not saying you should homeschool your son - I'm saying that there is a lot of support out there, both online, and in person in most areas if you do decide to do it.

It worked out for my son, but it is definitely not for everyone.  Some homeschooled kids that I met and taught would have been better off overall if they had stayed in public school.  It's just a very individual thing.

 

  • Like 2

Rebooting Ranger and Legionary

"Only a Dead Legionary Gives Up" - Day of the Starwind

"It always seems bad at first, but then I find a way" - Samurai Jack

Link to comment

....and just when things were going well, the challenge is now kind of on hold.  Last night, I woke up to find a bat flying around my bedroom.  We stupidly opened windows and within a half hour, the bat left the house.  Oops.  Turns out that we should have trapped the bat and called animal control.  Now, we have to figure out whether to go through rabies shots in case we had some sort of exposure.  It appears that it's entirely possible to get bitten, scratched, or have saliva contact with the bat in your sleep without even knowing.  The local disease control branch recommended against having the kids vaccinated, since the bat wasn't seen in their rooms while they were sleeping.  But the whole thing makes me nervous.  Yeah, it's like a 0.001% chance that anyone was exposed to rabies, but if you are exposed, you absolutely will die.  So....  :angry:  We also have no idea how the bat got in, so pest control is coming out in a few days to determine whether we have an infestation.  I almost hope that we do, so they could test a bat and perhaps spare us the rabies shots.  And I'm still not sure what to even do about the shots.  The expert just gave us soft recommendations to do so, but mentioned that the US is the only country that even has the "bat found in bedroom while sleeping" recommendation.  But the stakes are so high if the bat somehow had rabies and somehow did bite anyone without us knowing.  

 

Why do I have to keep dealing with this shit?!  

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

 ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Link to comment

Wow, crazy night.  We used to get bats in the house fairly often, I never knew we had to worry about them.  We had them living in our current house a few years ago.  It's pretty hard to get rid of them, they can squeeze through an impossibly tiny crack to get back in.  Good luck dealing with it all.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Wow, crazy night.  We used to get bats in the house fairly often, I never knew we had to worry about them.  We had them living in our current house a few years ago.  It's pretty hard to get rid of them, they can squeeze through an impossibly tiny crack to get back in.  Good luck dealing with it all.

 

Yeah.  I didn't realize until googling (and then talking to the local health department) that it's entirely possible not to feel a bat bite or even know that you've been bitten.  The teeth don't even necessarily leave an obvious wound.  So, the protocols are to get the full rabies treatment if you wake up in an enclosed space with a bat, just because rabies is 100% fatal.  We're still waiting to hear back from the doctor, but it's likely that the whole family will head in to start treatment in a day or two.

 

We also have the pest management people checking out the house on Thursday to see if they're roosting somewhere in the house.  It just seems unlikely that a bat just randomly swooped in during one of the short intervals of time that the door was open.  In a weird way, I feel less stressed now that we've decided that we are going to just get the shots for the whole family.  

  • Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

 ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Link to comment

Ugh, I'm sorry!  I'm glad to hear the kids won't need them at least.  I hope you can find out more information and avoid having to get the series of shots.  I would've never thought to trap the thing either.  I would just want that bat out of my house ASAP.

 

Rangering since Sept 2015

 

 

Link to comment
19 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Ugh, I'm sorry!  I'm glad to hear the kids won't need them at least.  I hope you can find out more information and avoid having to get the series of shots.  I would've never thought to trap the thing either.  I would just want that bat out of my house ASAP.

 

That's what makes me really nervous.  We didn't SEE the bat in either of the kids' rooms, but who knows where it went and who it interacted with.  The recommendations were weird, because the health department guy thought my husband should be vaccinated since he's a "deep sleeper".  I was recommended not to get vaccinated, since I'm a "light sleeper", despite the fact that I had melatonin and Z-Quil a few hours before the bat contact.  And we really don't know if it interacted with the kids at all.  I'm going to push to have everyone get the shots, just because we're better safe than sorry.  I don't think I could live with myself if the adults got vaccinated, the bat turned out to be rabid, and either of the kids died.  

  • Like 2

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

 ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Link to comment

I'm sorry!  My daughter was bitten by a status- unknown dog when she was about a year old. We were faced with the same choice and it was recommended we not do the shots (citing statistics, etc.). We were debating and deciding the same thing when the dog owner came forward and let us know the dog was not rabid.  It's not a good situation to be in.  

 

Hugs!

Rangering since Sept 2015

 

 

Link to comment

Post-exposure rabies shots are not as bad as they used to be, not much different from any other vaccine. I've had my pre-exposure shots, and other than some muscle soreness around the injection site (more so than other vaccines I've had, but still not bad), it was all good. And it's better to be safe than sorry, especially when you're talking about something like rabies, even if the chance is small. Any time I've heard of bad side effects, it's never been for more than a day or so, but hopefully your family falls into the 'minor side effect' category.

 

Hopefully your pest control company can seal up your house to prevent them getting in again. I like bats well enough, but would not be happy with one in my house, that's for sure...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines