Wolfen Welcomes Summer and Goes Primal

Your thread inspires me to go outside and soak in nature more often. I'm going to have to make that a priority. Looks like you are doing great with your challenge!

• Like 2

Level: 15 Race: Human Class: Adventurer (Sailor Senshi/Aes Sedai)

STR: 14    DEX: 12    STA: 16   CON: 28   WIS: 26    CHA: 15 

(unspent points: 6? challenges worth)

Weight Loss Progress (SW 12/5/15 272)

Mini-Goal: Get back down to my low 152.2 - SW 6/1/17 170.4 - CW 6/10/17: 166.6

regained the last few months - back on track losing in June

My Battle Log|My NF Character Sheet

Challenges:

1/16-2/16-3/16-4/16-5/16-6/16-7/16-8/16-9/16-11/16-12/16-1/17-2/17-

On 2017/06/02 at 2:47 AM, Wolfen said:

Worked for my mentor (see Get Sun, Sand, and Surf); also had to help his wife by catching a small medicine ball for her as she toss it to me and holding a resistance band up high while she tugged down and pulled towards me while she pulled towards herself.

I really like how you help these two people :love_heart:

On 2017/06/02 at 2:47 AM, Wolfen said:

Greeted the brother-in-law of our new neighbor; the new neighbor's weren't home, but he was cutting weeds for them.

Nice to have such a bil!

You seem to be moving along nicely. I hope you enjoy the week's break at the sea. I love watching the sea, no matter what mood it is in.

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

Update:

• Left Saturday morning (early, like 4am) for the beach. My wife, four daughters, a nephew, and my daughter's best friend. On the way, we stopped at our favorite rest area that has a man-made waterfall, a "green" roof and some rocks for climbing; after hours in the car, we needed an active break.
  • Arrived at Cherry Grove Beach Saturday afternoon.

cherry-grove.jpg

• Lunch: Friendly's -- turkey and cheddar sandwich with tomato and lettuce
  • Relaxed at the condo after an 8+ hour drive.
  • Dinner: Hungry Howie's Pizza (cut me some slack, I'm on vacation.
  • Sunday morning I relaxed on the balcony to a good book (SuperBetter by Jane McGonigal; more on this later).

superbetter-toolkit.jpg

• Breakfast: raisin bran (not the worst choice for cereals).
  • Went out to the ocean with the entire group; spent two hours wading, splashing, and swimming in the ocean. My littlest daughters did their best to build sandcastles; I'm not much for playing in the sand, but I do love the ocean. I'm a lifeguard's nightmare, sometimes going just a little too far out and diving deep into the water, swimming for a bit, and resurfacing behind the waves.
  • Lunch: leftover pizza
  • Went back to the condo and took a much-needed nap.
  • Took a short trip to Barefoot Landing; this is basically an outdoor mall with shops and restaurants, but it sits atop backwater with bridges connecting parts of it. We saw an alligator for the first time (first time at Myrtle Beach; I've seen gators before).

Barefoot-Landing-NMB-Chamber-of-Commerce.jpg

• Dinner: Dick's Last Resort; if you're not familiar with Dick's, it's not typically the kind of place you take your kids, but we love it. I ate fried alligator (ironic, right?) and jalapenos.
  • Back to the condo to relax on the deck, listen to the ocean and read some more (Deep by James Nestor this time -- there's just something cool about reading about the ocean while near the ocean). No, I did not finish SuperBetter; I have what I like to call ADRD--so many books to choose from.

635873821517718970351055939_Stack-of-books-great-education.jpg

• Like 5

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

Rather than let my clumsy words ruin it, I'll let Jane McGonigal explain the concept of SuperBetter.

how-it-works.jpg

There is a book, an app, and a website. Very similar concept to Nerd Fitness quests and challenges. Check it out and let me know if you want to connect.

• Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

3 minutes ago, Dagger said:

Sounds like a great start to your week at the beach! :D

Absolutely. I haven't even written about my workout yet! :)

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Monday Update:

a999adfe26ebc81a94754b364c4881b077ae695b

• Woke up at 4:45am (on purpose), put my trunks on and took the stairs down to the beach.
  • Btw, our condo is on the 9th floor, and I have only taken the elevator twice to carry stuff from the car to the room.
  • Almost no one on the beach this early except a few dedicated seashell hunters equipped with flashlights and seins (most of them older than middle-age).
  • Ran some sprints: 6 total at 50 yards each, 2 of those 80% effort, the last 4 100% effort. If you've never sprinted in sand, you're in for a treat. Your calves will thank/hate you.

10-super-sand-sprints-2f84487f-0b13-4f25-82a2-304b2e5987e5.jpg

That's not me.

• Light run 0.4 miles along the tide to the Sea Cabins pier. I love running in the tide because it awakens so many senses. You have to choose your steps carefully, the sights, smells, and sounds of the ocean are all around you, and the feel of the sand and water at your feet is fantastic.
  • Walked from the pier around the nearby inlet that stops at House Creek. At times, when it is low tide, you can follow sand dunes almost to nearby Hog Island and then swim across House Creek to the island. I have done it once, even though there are signs warning you against it. It is not a shallow creek, and its current is very much influenced by the push and pull of the sea. Plus, all sorts of ocean wildlife frequent the creek, including small sharks. This morning was high tide, so not possible anyway.
  • Enjoyed a light walk back to the condo with the occasional burst of sprints; both Chris McDougall and Erwan Le Corre write about the impacts of sudden snap bursts of movement to activate and strengthen our fascia. Plus, it kind of makes me feel like The Flash

giphy.gif

• Breakfast: Dino's House of Pancakes -- omelet with spinach, mushrooms, bacon, and feta cheese with a side of two pancakes (it's a pancake house, do you really think I would pass them up?)
  • Went to the beach with the group; swam, splashed, waded in the ocean. Two hours in the ocean is a workout for sure.
  • Lunch: blacktip shark filet with spinach and Louisiana hot sauce (yum!)
  • My parents arrived, so I helped them carry bags from their car to the elevator.
  • Relaxed in the room, sitting on the balcony and listening to the waves.

MyrtleBeachSC-MainMap.jpg

• Took one last quick trip by myself (wife and mother went out, kids were at the pool) out to the ocean; beach was mostly empty, so I enjoyed a solitary swim.
  • Dinner: my wife made spaghetti, and it was delicious.
  • Relaxed with a beer and a good book on the balcony with my wife and mother; everyone else went to bed early.
  • Like 7

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

On 6/5/2017 at 2:49 PM, Wolfen said:

• Dinner: Dick's Last Resort; if you're not familiar with Dick's, it's not typically the kind of place you take your kids, but we love it. I ate fried alligator (ironic, right?) and jalapenos.

My kids wanted to go to the one at Mall of America.  Is the food decent?   

Your vacation sounds amazing! 

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

49 minutes ago, LadyShello said:

My kids wanted to go to the one at Mall of America.  Is the food decent?   

Your vacation sounds amazing! 

The food is decent. How old are your kids? The humor can be a little crass, although they're pretty good about subtle innuendo. So unless you have a little one who asks a lot of questions and insists on amswers...

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Wolfen said:

The food is decent. How old are your kids? The humor can be a little crass, although they're pretty good about subtle innuendo. So unless you have a little one who asks a lot of questions and insists on amswers...

My kids are 11 and 13 but, as a family, we are a little crass and pretty good about subtle innuendo. ;) 

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

So I fully recognize that I kind of lost sight of my overall goals while on vacation. Let's call it a speed bump. I may use the free week to compensate for my disorganized way of running things this past week. Although I was faithful to some elements of my challenge, especially the Primal fitness.

But wow do I have some things to share.

This was a vacation of firsts.

• first time seeing a rainbow over the ocean
  • first time swimming in the ocean by the light of a full moon
  • first time seeing an alligator while eating on the deck of a restaurant
  • first time confronting my mother about a growing problem (I'm not proud of this, but it needs to be mentioned)
  • first time on flying.

Even though my challenge kind of fell apart this past week, NF is also about life-changing adventures, and I sure did have a few of those this past week. Burpees on the beach are so much better (and harder) than burpees anywhere else. Swimming in the ocean is its own intense full-body workout; I'm talking about actual swimming, not just bobbing in the waves (although trying to stand still and fight the current feels a lot like leg day to me). I also ate shark and raw oysters and drank kombucha (which somehow is also better at the beach).

I ended my time at the beach by getting up early Friday morning (4:15 am), doing a quick movement session on the beach (stretches, a few Tai-chi-esque moves, some pushups and planks in the tide). It was a full moon morning with no one else on the beach. Although I knew it was risky, I could not resist the opportunity for a solitary swim by moonlight.

And it was glorious. The morning air was crisp, about 50 degrees F, but the water was warm and soothing, and it was the perfect end to my vacation.

Well, almost perfect. There was still the flight home to look forward to. See, my 16 year old daughter and I had to end our vacation one day earlier than the rest of the family because she needed to take the ACT. So my wife bought us one-way plane tickets from Myrtle Beach to Huntington, WV. Neither my daughter nor I had ever flown before. We were excited. And it was every bit as awesome as I expected, from the thrill of takeoff to the gorgeous view of the beach from the sky as the plane actually takes off over the ocean and then turns back towards land. The sky was clear the entire way, and we could see land the whole trip. I brought a book to read, but I never touched it as I just enjoyed the view from the sky. Other than seeing the beach from the sky, my favorite view was of clouds forming over and between mountains as we passed over parts of NC, VA, and WV. I feel like flying would be a drug for me because I'm already craving another flight.

Tomorrow I return to my regularly scheduled program, using the format I designed at the beginning of the challenge in order to maintain my goals. Thanks for tuning in.

• Like 5

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Thanks for sharing Wolfen!  

I'm new here, still trying to learn my way around the site.  I loved reading through your goals and your updates!  I really appreciate the holistic approach of NF, and the idea community supporting each other in leveling up.  I will definitely be participating in the next 4 week challenge.  Gives me time to think about my goals and map out a game plan.

Also loved your beach photo!  So that's what a warm beach looks like!?  Heavenly.  I'm in the Pacific Northwest.  Beautiful coast, but stormy and COLD.  Not nearly as inviting as your pic!

Hope these forums stay pretty active-  I would love to see other people's challenges and progress as well!

• Like 1

Sounds like you had a great vacation (mostly) and that is the point of a vacation is it not? Breaking from routine usually makes me feel good if it is for a short time and because I am having fun.

Your description of flying is nice. I don't feel that way flying anymore because I've done it too many times. But perhaps I'll try to remember how marvelous it is to live in a time where I can fly anywhere I want the next time I fly.

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

8 hours ago, mesara said:

I'm new here, still trying to learn my way around the site.

Welcome! NF is THE most supportive fitness/health site in the world. They will encourage you, motivate you, make you laugh, make you cry (in a good way), and best of all challenge you to be your best self. They'll love you when you succeed and they'll love you if you fail.

I'm glad you're here. Let me know if I can help in any way.

7 hours ago, Dagger said:

But perhaps I'll try to remember how marvelous it is to live in a time where I can fly anywhere I want the next time I fly.

I try to approach a lot of things that have become common as if I am experiencing them for the first time. I still get excited over sunrises, sunsets, rainbows, trains, wildlife, omelets for breakfast, etc. As for flying, I usually can't afford it, so it may be a few years before I fly again. So, maybe it will feel like the first time.

• Like 1

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

I think the confrontation with my mother deserves an explanation.

I love my mother. She is one of the strongest women I have ever known (personally, not physically). For the first few years of my life, my father was barely around. He was either working or hunting. I remember that he bounced from job to job, often quitting because it interfered with hunting season. He finally came home one day when I was 5 and confessed to having an affair, packed his things, and was gone. My mother raised me by herself (with a lot of help from my grandparents) until I was about 8 years old, and then she met my stepfather. My father was not paying child support, and as soon as the child advocacy office would catch up to him, he would quit his job or move and the checks would stop coming. My mother worked five days a week at a call center, making just above minimum wage, and my stepfather was a truck driver. Their combined income was just barely enough even for just the three of us.

So, I have a great deal of respect for my mom. However, once I got married things seemed to change. It's not that my mom suddenly became this horrible person, but she is really good at making my wife feel like shit (either intentionally or unintentionally) by inserting comments like "Well, that's why your daughter does that, because you..." or "Well, if you hadn't...then..."

Unexpectedly, the temperature dropped while we were at the beach. It was about 55-60 degrees F Wednesday and Thursday, and none of us had pants. My mom kept making comments about "Why didn't you pack these girls some pants? You're supposed to pack pants just in case." None of these comments were directed at me. They were all directed at my wife. They were clearly passive-aggressive sorts of remarks, and I could see my wife's face turn red every time my mother said something.

It finally reached its peak while we were eating lunch at a pizza place. My daughter Arabella (5) had broken the tip of her green crayon, so she was complaining that she wanted another one. My other daughter, Gracelynn (6), was using the only other green crayon. The one Arabella had was still useable, it just didn't have a tip. Let me give you a little background on Arabella: she is adopted, biological mother was addicted to meth, and now Arabella has a list of problems (some diagnosed, some undiagnosed) including sensory processing disorder, ADHD, and probably OCD. Our vacation already messed up her routine, so she had been cranky most of the trip. So, of course she gets upset about the crayon and I can see the origins of an impending tantrum. So I ask Gracelynn if they could trade green crayons. Gracelynn (always the sweetie) said "Yeah" and we were about to switch when my mother says "That's what's wrong with her, you give her what she wants."

I don't know. Something just clicked (I won't say snapped, because it wasn't that bad) inside of me, and I stood up, grabbed Arabella, looked at my mom and said, "No, that's not what's wrong with her. You're not in our house, so you don't know what we deal with." And I carried Arabella out of the restaurant to sit her down and talk to her about not throwing tantrums in restaurants (hypocrite much?). My mom passed me, purse around her shoulder, and didn't say anything. I knew I needed to go after her, so I took Arabella (who was calm now) back inside and chased my mom all the way to her truck (she walks faster than I expected). She was crying, and I hugged her and apologized for yelling at her like that, especially in public. She apologized for her comments about Arabella, that it wasn't her place to say anything. I convinced her to come back inside with us, and the rest of lunch was actually peaceful (well, as peaceful as any meal with 6 kids and 3 adults can be).

I know I was out of line confronting her in public like that, but I don't feel I was out of line saying something to her. This has been years and years of comments (again, probably not intended to be hurtful, but definitely not okay) and I finally had to let my mother know there are boundaries and let my wife know I wasn't standing for it anymore.

• Like 7

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Wolfen said:

I know I was out of line confronting her in public like that, but I don't feel I was out of line saying something to her. This has been years and years of comments (again, probably not intended to be hurtful, but definitely not okay) and I finally had to let my mother know there are boundaries and let my wife know I wasn't standing for it anymore.

On behalf of wives everywhere who have had to handle nonsense like that from their mil's I thank you. I'm glad you sorted things out with your mom, and I know it isn't a good feeling to have to deal with it, but sometimes it is needed. The sooner the better, then the rest of your marital life will go easier.

• Like 4

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

3 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:
8 hours ago, Wolfen said:

On behalf of wives everywhere who have had to handle nonsense like that from their mil's I thank you. I'm glad you sorted things out with your mom, and I know it isn't a good feeling to have to deal with it, but sometimes it is needed. The sooner the better, then the rest of your marital life will go easier.

Totally seconding this! 

Also, glad you had a wonderful vacation!

• Like 4

Sunday:

tumblr_mte7xmNDx81shqluzo1_400.gif

Get Fit:

• Worked a 6 hour shift at the movie theater; movements -- walking, lifting, squatting
  • Did some light walking around the neighborhood
  • 10,894 steps total

giphy.gif

Get Spiritual:

• Daily scripture was from 2 Chronicles 6:7-9 and 12-15; devotional was about prayer and what's really important: "Whether we kneel or stand before God, whether we lift our hands heavenward or close our eyes so we can better focus on God—it is not the posture of our body, but of our heart that is important."
  • Said a few prayers of gratitude and of worship.

giphy.gif

Get Fed:

• Breakfast: omelet with mixed greens (spinach, kale, chard) and mushrooms, topped with mustard
  • Lunch: Ham and turkey sandwich with mixed greens, mayo, and mustard
  • Dinner: my wife bought a waffle maker, so we had waffles; I'm not ashamed.

tumblr_mqlce27heK1sppna1o1_500.gif

Get Connected:

• Did not call my mother because she was mostly busy with church
  • Spoke to a cashier at Sheetz and asked her how her day was going.
  • Took the girls to Vacation Bible School at church and reconnected with some people I hadn't seen for a while.

64670f416b9bd55ce16b6b8fd2c9cacf.gif

Get Smarter:

• Read a bit of Tender Warrior by Stu Weber
  • I've been neglecting and brain training apps lately, so...
  • Listened to an episode of Jocko's podcast.

tumblr_oktweiWI6Y1sk0xezo1_500.gif

Get Some Sun, Sand, and Surf: (Going to the beach at the beginning of June, so even though I will only be there for a week, I felt the title was fitting).

• Spent some time outside in the yard with my daughters and my dogs.
  • Had to get under the house to retrieve my cat, Ashes, so I definitely got low to the ground and crawled through some mud.

tumblr_o312ocnVtg1qd3lbbo1_500.gif

Get Rest:

• Went to bed at 11:00 pm.
  • Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Posting this because the quotes are awesome, and I really like Casey Neistat's pursuit of adventure. In an interview with Tim Ferriss, Casey said that the ultimate quantification of success is not "not much time you spend doing what you love. It's how little time you spend doing what you hate."

Disclaimer: Just as you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, please don't judge this video by its cover frame. It really is an inspiring video.

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

On 6/11/2017 at 1:38 PM, elizevdmerwe said:

23 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Totally seconding this! 

Also, glad you had a wonderful vacation!

I third this. In addition to how those comments make your wife feel, saying things around kids that start with 'that's what's wrong with them' generally aren't good for their self esteem.  Glad you were able to work it out with your mom even if it didn't start out that well.  And super glad you had a great vacation.  

• Like 3

tumblr_nh5mhfAoqj1u6blemo1_500.gif

Get Fit:

• Sprint Day! Ran two 80 yard sprints at about 85% effort and two 100 yard sprints w/ slow start then 100% effort.
  • Worked with my mentor: wiped the steps in his house, vacuumed the upstairs and the landing, used the leaf blower on front and back porch, and fed/watered the chickens and collected the eggs.
  • 10,915 steps total

tumblr_mx0yhg54IU1smeej6o1_500.gif 

Get Spiritual:

• Daily scripture was from 1 Corinthians 15:42-48; devotional talked about how nothing we do in service to God, no matter how little, is ever useless: "When we serve the Lord, no job or act of love is too menial to matter."
  • Said a few prayers of gratitude and of worship; also prayed for my mentor and his wife.

tumblr_mk8gofo3Ai1qd134co2_500.gif

Get Fed:

• Breakfast: Coffee with grass-fed butter and coconut oil
  • Lunch: mixed greens salad with lemon pepper tuna, duck egg, and mushrooms
  • Dinner: blueberry-pomegranate protein shake with Greek yogurt and a small bite of my daughter's cream burrito and some chips and salsa

giphy.gif

Get Connected:

• Did not call mom because I forgot.
  • Worked with my mentor; talked to his wife about our beach vacation.
  • I also chatted with the cashier at Healthy Life Market where I bought a bottle of Buchi kombucha; she gave me a bottle opener and told me to keep it.

tumblr_omhcs3opX41txj8weo1_500.gif 

Get Smarter:

• Read a bit of Tools of Titans by Tim Ferriss; no, I haven't finished it yet because it's more like a reference book than a book you read straight through. (Side note: Tim Ferriss now has his own TV show called Fearless, but it's only available for DirectTV subscribers; it's basically a talk show, so kind of a visual version of what he already does on his podcast -- interview famous people and dig into the secrets of their success).
  • Still slacking on the brain-training app. I need to set a reminder.
  • Continued an episode of Jocko's podcast about Viktor Frankl's book Man's Search for Meaning. If you're not familiar with it, Frankl was a Holocaust survivor and the book is half memoir half philosophy, and yes it is a tough read.

picgifs-assassins-creed-1131610.gif

Get Some Sun, Sand, and Surf: 

This is where I thrived today:

• Took a shirtless and shoeless walk with the dog in the morning
  • Did some stretches and bends to wake my muscles up a bit
  • Sprints were also barefoot and shirtless
  • Took a quick swim in the river; the water was muddy but cool in spite of the hot sun
  • Stripped down and laid out in the sun for some naked sunbathing (sorry if that's tmi, but it feels amazing).
  • Sat outside with my daughters and read some more of Tender Warrior (told you, I have ADRD) while they played in their little inflatable pool.

Get Rest:

• I slept in until 6:30 when my wife's alarm went off.
  • Took a brief power nap around 3:00 pm
  • I'm struggling with the "no technology before bed" challenge, but I think I'll get there.
  • Went to bed around 10:50 pm.
  • Like 5

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Tuesday:

Get Fit:

• Lift Heavy Objects: Did some bodyweight exercises: burpees, pushups, crawls, pull-ups. I also took a brief barefoot hike and followed a deer up a hillside to a thicket and had to crawl my way out, ducking under the overgrowth.
  • Worked closing shift at the movie theater (first time in almost a year that I've closed): lifting, walking, standing, squatting, reaching.

Get Fed:

• Breakfast: Coffee with grass-fed butter and coconut oil
  • Lunch: 3 eggs with a side of mixed greens, mushrooms, and fish steaks with Louisiana hot sauce
  • Dinner: chips and cheese and salsa

Get Connected:

• Called my mother yesterday; she was on her way to work.
  • Talked and joked with a variety of customers while working at the movie theater

Get Smarter:

• Read a bit of Tools of Titans by Tim Ferriss
  • Played one session of Peak.
  • Also started listening to Siddhartha by Herman Hesse because it was highly recommended
  • Continued the episode of Jocko's podcast about Viktor Frankl's book Man's Search for Meaning.

Get Some Sun, Sand, and Surf: 

This is where I thrived today:

• Took a shirtless and shoeless walk with the dog in the morning
  • Did some stretches and bends to wake my muscles up a bit
  • Bodyweight workout was outside, shoeless (not shirtless because I was waiting outside of a graduate school for my daughter, Gracelynn, who was meeting with a Child Psychology student who is working on research).

Get Rest:

• I slept in until 6:30 when my wife's alarm went off.
  • Took a brief power nap around 5:00 pm
  • Because I had to close, I did not get home until after midnight and did not get to bed until almost 1:00 am.
  • Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler