I just graduated from college.

I just turned 22.

Time to be a productive human.

Goals:

By the end of each week in the mini, my points >= half the team average.  Bonus points if my points >= team average.

Do one thing every day to be a productive human invested in her future. Log that one (or more) thing here with as many details as is appropriate for an online forum full of strangers.  This can be as small as watching one educational YouTube or Khan Academy video to finishing cleaning/painting my room to filling a box full of things to sell in a garage sale to nagging my doctor friend to follow up when he says we'll be in touch about me shadowing at his office.  Cooking dinner for my family does not count.  Cooking dinner for a friend's family (e.g. our church friends whose daughter is having brain surgery) counts.  Basically I'm not allowed to sit on my butt all day every day being lazy.

Work up to waking up at 6am and staying awake.  This obviously requires going to bed early.

June 3rd is an exception due to going to a potluck, but my parents are eating paleo so I need to eat paleo.  AIP would be even better (cleaner, not because I have any known autoimmune diseases) but somehow I don't think I'll be able to get out of eating tomatoes and coconut milk when my mom uses them to cook. Except for using butter (ghee is such a pain to make/buy), their current diet is almost Whole30 compliant so...

Starting 31 May (because birthday 30 May --> sushi, mochi ice cream, and champagne) and excluding 3 June, eat paleo.

Use BEMER at least once a day.  Bonus points for twice a day.

Go to three church things outside of regular service.  This can include volunteering to pack or distribute lunches for kids who were on free/reduced lunch during the school year.  These can count toward being a productive human although I should strive to have something else as well.

Go through 1 skein of yarn a week.  I guess it can be split up but I want to see some of these million projects done already.  I have 4 bins of yarn under my bed and a basket of reject projects.  Two of them have yarn that is not tied up in or for any project.  I'm not allowed to touch those or buy more until the other two bins are empty.

SUMMARY

#dobetter in the mini

Be productive. Don't be lazy.

Wake up earlier. Naps are for wussies.

Eat paleo.

Use BEMER.

Moar church.

Use up some yarn.

All this in addition to my other ongoing goals: DuoLingo, making the bed, eating breakfast, etc.

Month

Church: X _ _

Mini: X X/ _ _

Yarn: X X X _

Week 1 (4 days)

Mini: X

Productivity: O O / XX

Wake up/bed early: X X X X

Paleo: X X X C

BEMER: / X / /

Yarn: X

Week 2

Mini: X/ (X or X/ only)

Productivity: X X O O X O O

Wake up/bed early: / O / X / / X

Paleo: X C X X X O C

BEMER: / / X / / / /

Week 3

Mini: X

Productivity: X O O O O X /

Wake up/bed early: / / / X / X /

Paleo: C O / X X O O

BEMER: / O X X / / X

Week 4

Mini: /

Productivity: O X X O O X X

Wake up/bed early: / X / X / / /

Paleo: / / / / / / O

BEMER: O X X / / / C

Yarn: O

• Like 3

Snickie | Level 25 Female Human

Assassin-ish | Level ??? | tall skinny female stick figure

STR med | AGI low | DEX high | CON med | WIS ??? | CHA ???

Current Challenge: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Top right down arrow > Account Settings > Signature

Well I am perfectly capable of being a nonproductive human with a college degree and my mother was perfectly capable of being a productive human being without a college degree until the point where she finally graduated with a degree at the age of 47.  I believe in you, @Love_Of_Snuggles.

Added some goals.

• Like 1

I'm 26 and I think naps are amazing... 

Great goals, making the conscious effort to be productive is the best thing you can do!

• Like 2

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] <--Current Challenge

17 hours ago, Snickie said:

This can include volunteering to pack or distribute lunches for kids who were on free/reduced lunch during the school year.

I love this.  There is a huge need for support for these kids during the summer months :( 

Current Challenge: TBD

Past Challenges: Road to Redemption  Spartan! 006 Triwizard Wonder (1/2) Bourne Foundations Storyteller

"Come stay a while and listen" - Deckard

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf 

26 minutes ago, cn3wton said:

I'm 26 and I think naps are amazing... 

Lol I included that because naps mess up my nighttime sleep schedule. What usually happens to me when I'm home is my mom wakes us all up at 6am so we can have breakfast together before she goes to work and then I go back to bed and sleep in until noon, and go to bed at like 2am. Not very healthy imo.

8 minutes ago, Mr.Six said:

I love this.  There is a huge need for support for these kids during the summer months :( 

I love that my church does this too. I didn't help out last summer though because I met a stalker at one of the distribution events and I was very uncomfortable around him. He was the type who believed he was emotionally stable only if he had a girlfriend and so he texted me all the time "please be my girlfriend I'm so lonely" after having met only once. My exboyfriend was furious at the guy because he knew the guy was probably only looking for pity sex. From that event I learned that I should give boys my dad's cell phone number instead of mine so he can screen those guys out for me. XD

Anyway. Hopefully he's moved on.

• Like 3

Reps are good so far today.  My push-up game is... not so great right now.  My AMRAP might be 6 or 7 at best based on how terrible doing the 5th pushup of every set was, so I'll probably be a little sore tomorrow.  Also wide-footed squats are nice but since I do them so seldomly... will probably be sore tomorrow too. Lol

Didn't do the productive thing (I need to finish cleaning my room).  Did make dinner and did the dishes, but I already stated those don't count.

Woke up just before 8 today.  My dad was being obnoxious because I forgot to turn off the alarms on my cell phone and my mom makes us keep them in the kitchen at night so the EMFs don't give us cancer in our sleep, so it was being obnoxious and he set it right outside my bedroom door.  My radio alarm went off right then so it woke me up then too.  Setting my alarm for 7:50 tomorrow. Going to bed at 10 so as to not screw up my sleep schedule.

Ate paleo today.  Sorted my candy but didn't eat any - maybe I'll have some on Saturday since I'll be at that potluck.  Turkey patty, fruit smoothie. Homemade butternut squash soup.  My burps still taste like that smoothie from this morning.  At least it's the fruity part and not the sunflower greens part.

Used the BEMER once, this evening.  Ideally I'd use it twice a day.

No churching today.  I need to find out what's available on certain weeknights.  I'd like to join a young adults weekly small group but I'm not sure if they run in the summer and the one I went to once meets only once a month and is about an hour drive from here.  I think the large women's group meets tomorrow night.  There's a Kids' Packs packing event on Saturday morning but I already have plans to take my cat to the vet and I might have a friend over.

Maybe I'll crochet tonight before bed but probably not.

• Like 1

Yesterday was low on reps.  My triceps and butt were a little sore and I didn't want to overdo anything.  Did some bicep curls instead with a 10lb dumbbell and a wall walk.  That was basically it.

Was not productive again yesterday, although I did make dinner again (although I didn't do dishes).  Also, and this goes for the day before, I've been brushing up my piano a little bit using Dozen A Day book 3.  I also have book 4 but I glanced at it and I really don't think I'm ready for even the first one.

Alarm set for 7:50 yesterday.  Went to bed at 10:05 or so and read until 10:45.  I'm trying to establish a nighttime routine that includes a half-hour or 45 minutes of reading in bed before actually going to bed.

Paleo compliant - fruit smoothie with spring salad greens and water (letting it sit instead of drinking it right away causes it to congeal and become gelatinous and I can't have that as a texture eater) and a turkey patty.  Dinner was sweet potato, boiled carrots, and flat iron steak.

Used BEMER twice yesterday.  This is good.

No churching.  I found out the women's group meets on Monday rather than Thursday.  I might go with my mom.  Also, confirmed vet appt at 8:45 means I won't be able to go to the Kids Packs thing on Saturday morning at 8. Funny thing is it's just a few blocks from my vet but my cat probably wouldn't appreciate being stuck in a cage all morning/afternoon.

Crocheted before making dinner and finished up one skein. I'm going to move on to a different project for my second skein because that bin is full already without adding extra yarn to that mammoth afghan project.  It'll probably be the knit capelet project since that uses the same kind of yarn, but it's knitting so it'll still take longer to get through.

• Like 1

Gonna go ahead and start on today's log.

No reps so far but I plan to go back on push-ups and squats.

Edit: Did 10 wide squats and that's it.

I pulled some papers from the magazine rack in my room this morning and sorted them.  I hoard music programs but I also found a ton of old artwork from early college and late high school so I might upload some stuff to the scraps section of dA this weekend.  This counts toward being productive.

Edit: Spent the afternoon uploading the artwork to dA and ended up just stacking a few papers right before bed (they were all lain across my bed so I had to move them anyway) but I threw away maybe 7 pieces total out of the entire magazine rack so not what I would call a success.

Alarm set for 7:45.  Sleepy of course so I didn't sit up and stuff until like 8:15.  But I also randomly woke up before my mom left for work, though I didn't get up or open my eyes or anything.  I think I'll move it back 5 minutes for tomorrow since I'm the likely one to take my cat to the vet.  Bed at 10, lights out at 10:30 (short chapter).

Breakfast was leftover soup from Wednesday.  Also I remembered to actually take my vitamins with breakfast this morning instead of dinner like usual.  Dinner was chicken sweet potato curry.  I had no desire to deal with chicken, so my mom cooked it and I had to do dishes.  Side note: our dishwasher (which has been in this house since before we moved in in early 2006) is effectively broken. You can bet Mom was pleased. Not.

Used BEMER this morning, with an extra cycle on my neck because my shoulders are a little sore and I'm not really sure why.  Did not use it in the evening.

No churching.  My mom says she might accompany me to the women's group meeting on Monday, which means I'll have to cook dinner that day.

No yarnwork today.  This is fine since I'm slightly ahead of schedule.

• Like 1

1週間

土曜日

Added a chart to the first post to track my progress in one place. I have an app for the other things.

Breakfast was a turkey patty. No fruit because we're out of oranges and almonds and they make my smoothies worth drinking while just eating fresh fruit is a pain (plus I don't like watermelon, which is what my parents are eating atm).  Due to the potluck, today is a designated cheat day.  I will break into the plantain chips and maybe some candy this afternoon, which will probably trigger my allergies (which have cleared up nicely w/o antihistamines since I switched back to paleo on Wednesday - eating nonpaleo makes me allergic to other things apparently).

Added pasta seafood salad, soda, carrots, bacon-wrapped asparagus, and cheesecake with white-chocolate-and-green-tea topping.  We have leftovers.  I'm the only one who will be eating them.

Took my cat to the vet so my mom wouldn't have to do it. This counts as my being productive for the day.  Also made the pasta salad for the potluck.  I'll give myself 2 points total since I'm down anyway.  I have to finish picking up and cleaning the floor though before I can finish taping my room so that will he primary focus for next week.  I did pull the magazine rack off my wall and organize my manuals drawer though, as well as get some more tape up on the ceiling.

Woke up at 6:45 again and went back to sleepish until 7:45. Sometimes I think I should just get up at 6:45 but what would I do? Also super dry contact lenses make opening my eyes a pain. I really should take them out at night, but I don't because I know I won't put them back in in the morning because lazy.

I am slowly approaching the team average in number of reps.  Lots of push-ups.  Lots of squats.  Lots of one-legged calf raises.  Lots of water so I don't get sore. Go Wholly Averagers!

Potluck lasted past 5:30 so no church tonight. Will church tomorrow morning like usual.

Used BEMER in the evening.

No yarn today.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Following, because you have awesome goals. But what's BEMER?

BEMER stands for BioElectroMagnetic Energy Regulation. It is a medical device that generates an electromagnetic field that is similar to what the Earth puts out naturally and has been shown in the U.S. to improve microcirculation.  The idea is since we rarely have direct contact with the Earth (i.e. always walking on a sidewalk, wearing shoes, even using towels when we lay on the grass), we are not regularly exposed to this natural energy and the BEMER stands to supplement that energy.

2週間

日曜日

Breakfast: fruit smoothie that my mom made.

My mom is insisting that I eat her curry chicken for lunch today so I'm going to save the leftover pasta salad for tomorrow.  She thinks there's enough to split between tomorrow and Tuesday but I'd rather not designate two cheat days this week because then I'd have to have no cheat days next week per some hidden, unwritten self rules I have.  But we'll see.

Dinner was at the local barbecue joint - pulled pork, mustard sauce (probably has sugar but it's the best thing we can eat there), collards. I wanted a slice of bread but I was good and didn't have one.

This is the third morning in a row that I have noted the following routine:

In bed by 22:00 (10pm), reading (physical book)

Lights out by 22:45 (sometimes 22:30)

Awake around 06:45, go back to sleep

Alarm goes off around 07:45. Lay in bed half awake for 15-30 minutes before getting up.

I might start pushing that even earlier in the morning, or allowing myself to go to bed at 10:30 instead of 10, or both, so I stop be woken up in the middle of a sleep cycle. Or, go to bed even earlier so I can finish the one that keeps being interrupted.

Went to bed at 10:15 (cleaned up after painting), lights out at 10:50.

Used the BEMER this morning only.

Picked out some potential paint colors and got samplers.  I moved some stuff from one side of my room and painted swatches on my wall.  Not sure which one I like best but I think we can eliminate two of them.

We did not end up going to the rental property. Our tenant didn't communicate when she would be there and we would've been 2 hours apart so we turned around and went home.

Did some yarnwork while watching the church sermon on TV and again this afternoon. Why does knitting go through yarn so much more slowly than crochet? I'm probably going to work everyday on this in order to finish the skein by Saturday.

Didn't go to church this morning because my dad wasn't feeling well but we did watch the sermon online (hooked up to our tv).  Women's group tomorrow night.  ....Crap, this means I still have to cook.

Last week's rep count was 186 which was above the team average of 176, so I consider that a check plus.  Time to start on this week's reps.  (Hurry and post the challenge, Anim!)

• Like 1

Week 2 Day 2

Well shoot.  My mom came in at 6 something this morning and woke me up so she could look at the paint on the wall that I did last night and then I ended up sleeping until almost 9 even with my alarm at 7:40.  When it kicked on, I reached over to adjust the volume but accidentally hit channel instead so it shut off the auto-dismiss function which I use to keep track of how long I've slept past the initial onset.  I should've just stayed up but noooooo.  I was having a dream about fifteen story escalators and subways with a friend and attempting to perform while we waited for our train to show up and I wanted to go back to that.  So anyway.

I may have to go to bed late because I have a mess in my room from moving stuff. I might have to skip reading, or pick a chapter from Psalms or Proverbs or something.

Updated mini goal this week: rep count = team average at least.  Bonus points if rep count > 1.5x team average.

Resumed push-ups, squats, and one-legged calf raises today.  I should add some inverted rows but my AMRAP for the 10lb dumbbell is >20 last I checked.  I tried shoulder dips just before dinner. Maybe they'll help with my posture somehow (I have a tendency to hold my shoulders forward which drives my mom nuts).

Designated cheat day began with a helping of pasta salad.  And then another helping.  I ended up finishing it right before dinner, and then I had a sweet potato that my mom made (but not the chicken because I'm not that nice).  I have no appetite left for plantain chips so I'll have to eat them on Saturday or something.

Painted new patches in my room and cleaned behind my bed (mostly dust mopping - holy crap so much dust).  Down to 4 colors. Technically 3 because I can't distinguish between the two lightest colors.  I also put tape on the baseboards behind my bed and the nightstand.

1 row of knitting today when I was waiting for the first coat to dry.  Not a lot of progress.

We ended up not going to women's group tonight at my church because my mom got stuck in traffic on her way to Walmart after work, and apparently she also forgot. Whoops. Guess I'll be going to Kids Packs distributions.

Used BEMER once this evening.

• Like 1

Week 2

火曜日

Woke up with my alarm, got up around 8:30. Better than yesterday but I need to self-discipline into getting up when I wake up. Watched America's Got Talent for Mandy Harvey and of course she was last (YAY MANDY HARVEY GOLDEN BUZZER <3 <3) so I didn't get to bed until about 10:45.  No reading.

BEMER this morning and evening.

Turkey patty and fruit smoothie for breakfast.  And of course there's an email from Steve Kamb in my inbox about the benefits of intermittent fasting, which is what normally happens in the summer to me anyway but I've been working to not do. So I sent the article to my mom looking to lose weight and we'll see what happens.

I could definitely feel myself functioning less optimally this morning than I was yesterday, and I'm pretty sure this is due to the pasta salad I had. Fortunately it's all gone so I can go back to paleo.

Leftover butternut squash soup for lunch.

Steak, carrots, and sweet potato for dinner.

Getting closer to finishing that one skein of yarn for this week!  Unfortunately this is the time when I have to start row reductions so now each row takes less yarn.  Ack!

Did a little spackling on my walls and threw away some old nonworking cords, but otherwise I didn't really get anything done.

Split lunges.  Better than full lunges but still very painful.  Also inverted rows with a 10lb dumbbell.

I wanted to add an extra personal-y thing to today's post that doesn't really fit the log format. In the article that was in my email this morning about intermittent fasting, there was a link to a related article about how to achieve the body you're want to have, and that's doing things that people who have that body already do. My challenge (and all the challenges I've ever done here) has been to build good habits and to #dobetter, but never have I really had a specific goal in mind, a long-term achievable measurable goal. They're always check marks, and the more checkmarks I have the better I'm doing, right? But there's no long-term vision end sight.

I'm fairly comfortable with my body aesthetically and as long as I don't have to go clothes shopping (i.e. the clothes that I have now fit) I'm happy.  I do wish I was more flexible and maybe a little stronger, and it's these small, insignificant seeming things that keep me going but also drag me down.

This isn't just my exercise life though, it's my entire life. So what I think I'm looking for is an exercise long-term end goal that will push me into having a long-term life goal, something tangible and achievable no matter how impossible it seems now. And I'm well aware that there are many options available to me. And as a responsible and productive adult, I have to pick one and just do it, no matter how bored or dissatisfied I get with it (see: music). But as a spoiled little kid, I want to do a little of everything (art, medical science, math, music, writing fiction, wall climbing, running, swimming, hanggliding) and then get down on myself when I'm good but not great at any of them.  And I know I can have One Thing and sprinklings of other things to keep me from getting bored with the One Thing, or change the One Thing after having worked at it for a while, that this is common and expected of everyone in life and I'm not a special snowflake in this scenario. The worst thing that can happen is I don't like it and have wasted my time/money, and then I'll go do something else. Right?

That's why I went to Landmark, to overcome these hurdles I've created for myself and live like they're actually there. Yet even after the program I've prevented myself from disappearing those hurdles. I acknowledge that they're something I made up and through language and action I can disappear them and create a new me and a new future.  So what's stopping me?

I've been reading a book on the science of habits and it suggests I'm going about this the wrong way. I'm trying to make a series of huge changes when I should be identifying my cravings, cues, routines, and rewards.  I should identify one small habit I want to change and let the positivity from the success of that one small habit change spill over into other aspects of my life. I suppose that's the point of what's going on here at Nerd Fitness. The only thing I can speculate is that I'm lacking belief.

The point of the productivity check mark in my challenge this month was to take steps towards my new me and new future. But all I've really done so far is clean my room (important - I'm a packrat borderline hoarder) so I can paint it (unimportant). Painting my room changes nothing fundamentally - that's why I haven't done it all these years despite that my room still looks like it belongs to an adolescent. It has nothing to do with a future career in medicine or medical research or music or anything and is nothing more than a means of procrastination on actually investing into my future. On the other hand, I could choose to look at it as a spit in the face of my normal sense of complacency and stagnancy and use one change to spur on a series of others.

So which is it?  Or how can it be both?

Why am I so afraid of wasting my time that I'm wasting my time doing nothing because I'm afraid of doing the thing that I fear would end up a waste of my time?

Stupid little paradox.  Stupid little snowflake.  My parents had no such luxuries or hesitations.  (False. My mom was a nursing major in community college and hated it and ended up working in business and finance, although she hates that too and would much rather go into real estate and is going through similar reservations about pursuing that as I am. My dad had reservations about going to college in his twenties because he was afraid he wasn't smart enough, and then he was well on his way to law school, stopped only by the onset and diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. Both of them just had to jump in and do it.)

Week 2 Day 4

Again with the waking up at 6:45. This time though I set my alarm for 8 and turned on the light around 8:15 (when I consider myself to be more awake).  Bed should be on time tonight.

Slacking on exercises but I'm still well above the average so....???  Squats and pushups today.  Lunges again tomorrow.  I got that pain in my right pec today like it's not completely healed from last time I did pushups.

Turkey patty and fruit smoothie (orange, cherries, canteloupe) for breakfastish.  Beef soup my mom made for dinner.  Tomorrow night is on me so probably leftovers and something for my dad.

BEMER once today, evening.

Almost done with this week's skein of yarn.  As in I might have 2 rows left before I have to break into the next one for this pattern.  I consider that a success.

Practically no productivity though. But since the knitting is done and I have company coming on Friday night, tomorrow needs to be like no fooling around.

Idek what I'm going to do about churching.

Week 2 Day 5

You already know what I'm going to say about the waking up thing, so I won't say it. IT'S THE SAME THING THAT HAS BEEN HAPPENING ALL WEEK. AAAAA.

BEMER in the evening only.

Phone is broken.  Not having a working phone is making it really difficult to keep the mini spreadsheet updated.  Also, holy crap, I'm falling behind.  I'm slacking!  @JediNickD I'm sorry I'm slacking!  WAAAAH!!!! (ok I'm done now)

Got my desk area cleaned up and all my blanks (empty folders, binders, etc etc etc) put into one box and the tape on the baseboards behind my desk.  Now I just have to clear off my bed so I can sleep tonight and tackle the east wall tomorrow.  Spackling is slow because I apparently lack the hand strength and the guts to pull the stupid anchors out of the wall and I have four of them that are just YUUUUUUUUUUUUGE.  They had a bar that held up these three pink and green panels that I could store stuff in the pockets (but never did because what was I going to store in there? the pockets were super tight).  I finally took that down last weekend but getting the anchors out of the wall has proven so far to be a challenge.

One thing I found in my desk today was a little notebook from 4th grade.  I hated myself in fourth grade, so much so that my parents took me to a family psychologist when they discovered the drawings in my agenda book thing (though I was too afraid of physical pain and the evidence it would leave if I tried to cut myself in self-punishment or anything like that).  So of course there was similar material in that notebook.  Not a thing I was looking to remember.

Turkey patty, smoothie (cherries, orange, grapes).  Leftover beef stew.  I'm going to have to start eating bigger meals if I'm doing this intermittent fasting thing.  Not that I'm trying to lose weight, but it's a pretty nifty thing nonetheless.  Made my dad a thing of nearly-soured ground beef (we both sniffed it before I cooked it and I made sure to very nearly burn it), a yellow squash, a vidalia onion, and some Italian spices.  i've never cooked with vidalia onions and they have an interesting smell to them compared to regular yellow onions.  I suppose that can count as productive too.

No church today, although I did read some Bible before bed (before realizing I hadn't done DuoLingo and getting up to do that).  (After DuoLingo) I was flipping and found the book of Habakkuk which is short but I found it quite relevant.  I probably needed it.

No yarn.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Snickie said:

Phone is broken.  Not having a working phone is making it really difficult to keep the mini spreadsheet updated.  Holy crap, I'm falling behind.  I'm slacking!  @JediNickD I'm sorry I'm slacking!  WAAAAH!!!! (ok I'm done now)

Is "the work" slacking or is "the tracking" slacking?  One is more important than the other.  Just get a notepad to keep track through the day until the phone is fixed/replaced.  Focus on what is important.  No worries after that.

World 5 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2020 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

Spoiler

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 5 Level 5 Stats: STR 144.0 | DEX 152.25 | STA 145.5 | CON 146.0 | WIS 149.0 | CHA 141.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

9 hours ago, Snickie said:

You already know what I'm going to say about the waking up thing, so I won't say it. IT'S THE SAME THING THAT HAS BEEN HAPPENING ALL WEEK. AAAAA.

I've got an idea that might inspire you.  I'm a morning person.  I relish getting up at 5:30 in the morning, because the day is quiet and I can truly focus on myself.  I workout, mediate, play, relax, or work depending on what I want to do (so long as I don't wake anyone up).  When I was in college and grad school, I had a lot of "me time", but now that I am a family man, my "me time" fits in a small time window between when I get out of bed and 7am on weekdays or when the kids get up on weekends.  But I have always been a morning person.  Getting up early is what my body does dating all the way back to elementary school so I could watch my morning cartoons.  So it is easy for me to get up early, even when I stay up late.  But I have always had a good reason to get up early too.

If you are not a morning person, but you want to be, then you need a good reason WHY.  Otherwise, the alarm will just be annoying.  Why do you need to be awake and out of bed at 8am?  What are you going to do with that "me time"? 

Also, don't worry about lying in bed for 30 minutes after your alarm.  Just means you need to set the alarm 30 minutes earlier to get up when you want to get up.  ;-)

Get that WHY nailed down.  Then you won't lie in bed.  You'll spring up to make the morning yours. 

World 5 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2020 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

Spoiler

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 5 Level 5 Stats: STR 144.0 | DEX 152.25 | STA 145.5 | CON 146.0 | WIS 149.0 | CHA 141.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

4 hours ago, JediNickD said:

I've got an idea that might inspire you.  I'm a morning person.  I relish getting up at 5:30 in the morning, because the day is quiet and I can truly focus on myself.  I workout, mediate, play, relax, or work depending on what I want to do (so long as I don't wake anyone up).  When I was in college and grad school, I had a lot of "me time", but now that I am a family man, my "me time" fits in a small time window between when I get out of bed and 7am on weekdays or when the kids get up on weekends.  But I have always been a morning person.  Getting up early is what my body does dating all the way back to elementary school so I could watch my morning cartoons.  So it is easy for me to get up early, even when I stay up late.  But I have always had a good reason to get up early too.

If you are not a morning person, but you want to be, then you need a good reason WHY.  Otherwise, the alarm will just be annoying.  Why do you need to be awake and out of bed at 8am?  What are you going to do with that "me time"? 

Also, don't worry about lying in bed for 30 minutes after your alarm.  Just means you need to set the alarm 30 minutes earlier to get up when you want to get up.  ;-)

Get that WHY nailed down.  Then you won't lie in bed.  You'll spring up to make the morning yours. 

Here's my Why: I don't want to have to cook breakfast for myself on the weekdays (though I've started intermittent fasting so I guess that's no longer an issue).  My mother makes breakfast for herself and my dad at 6am in between everything else in her routine so she can leave for work at 7 and get there at 8, assuming no major wrecks on the roads to slow her down.  Honestly since starting intermittent fasting and not eating until noon (and having control over what goes into my breakfast smoothies), I have completely lost interest in waking up at 6am every morning other than to say I did it.  But I also don't have a job right now.  If I decided to temp where my mother works then I'd be riding in with her.

The situation with my alarm is not just that I'm sleeping past when it goes off, it's that I'm consistently sleeping in until around 8:15, 8:20, no matter if I set it for 7:30 or for 8.  Fortunately it's a radio alarm so at least I get the weather and traffic reports (and birthdays if I set it before 7:45).  The other half is that I am usually half-awake around the time my parents are eating breakfast around 6:30 or so.  I know sleep cycles last about 90 minutes so it makes sense that I would only be awake enough to get up 90 minutes after that happens and I have gone back to sleep.  I just have to make myself make do without that one extra sleep cycle.

I have never been a morning person.  Ever.  Morning cartoons never really appealled to me and I'd've probably just fallen asleep in front of the tv if I had tried.  I have vague memories of my parents getting me out of bed and cuddling me in a chair in the living room at like 6 in the morning before taking me to preschool.  I nearly gave up eating breakfast altogether in high school because I rode in with my mom who always left at 6:50am, until I started driving myself and then I would leave around 7:12, it usually took between 12 and 14 minutes to get to the school and find parking, and that would leave me just enough time to get to my first class before the bell.  I took an 8am class my sophomore year of college and I hated every minute of having to get up early enough to do anything, to the point that I resorted to getting up at like 7:50 and biking to my instrument locker and straight to class, skipping breakfast in the meantime.  I missed class once because my roommate got up and silenced my alarm for me, so I learned not to leave my phone alarm on my desk (my bed was lofted).  There were also times when I would hit snooze and it acted like I had hit dismiss instead and so it didn't go off again, and I once missed class because of that.  The only time I am ever a "morning" person is the morning before a big drive, and that's because I have better night vision than my mom and don't require coffee and I also just really like driving.

I hear the whole "reason" thing though.  Usually I'll just lay in bed until 30 minutes or so before I have to get up and be somewhere or do something.

24 minutes ago, Snickie said:

Here's my Why: I don't want to have to cook breakfast for myself on the weekdays (though I've started intermittent fasting so I guess that's no longer an issue).  My mother makes breakfast for herself and my dad at 6am in between everything else in her routine so she can leave for work at 7 and get there at 8, assuming no major wrecks on the roads to slow her down.  Honestly since starting intermittent fasting and not eating until noon (and having control over what goes into my breakfast smoothies), I have completely lost interest in waking up at 6am every morning other than to say I did it.  But I also don't have a job right now.  If I decided to temp where my mother works then I'd be riding in with her.

I hear the whole "reason" thing though.  Usually I'll just lay in bed until 30 minutes or so before I have to get up and be somewhere or do something.

Sounds like a job would be a game changer.  Maybe right now, you are just doing it for yourself, to say you did it, and you'll be prepared for when you get a job.  That's a good WOOT.  But to do that, it sounds like you need an outside motivator, an actual thing that you have to do 30 minutes after you get up.  Have any friends that workout or run in the morning? 

Or maybe you could race the sunlight?  Take a dollar and lay it by a window but in spot that is shaded before you want to get up and in the sun a while after that time.  If you get to the dollar before the sunlight, then it is yours.  If the sunlight gets it, then you "lose it". You determine what "lose it" means or even where this money comes from or what it goes towards.  I know currency is a great incentive for me, so I thought of this idea.  Be creative, I'm sure you can come up with something.

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, JediNickD said:

Sounds like a job would be a game changer.  Maybe right now, you are just doing it for yourself, to say you did it, and you'll be prepared for when you get a job.  That's a good WOOT.  But to do that, it sounds like you need an outside motivator, an actual thing that you have to do 30 minutes after you get up.  Have any friends that workout or run in the morning? 

Or maybe you could race the sunlight?  Take a dollar and lay it by a window but in spot that is shaded before you want to get up and in the sun a while after that time.  If you get to the dollar before the sunlight, then it is yours.  If the sunlight gets it, then you "lose it". You determine what "lose it" means or even where this money comes from or what it goes towards.  I know currency is a great incentive for me, so I thought of this idea.  Be creative, I'm sure you can come up with something.

A job would also be, you know, money to do the dollar thing with. lolol

Also, the only window in my room faces east and my bed faces the window.  As soon as the sun comes up, it's light.  I've been leaving the blinds half open the past few nights and, once my room is painted and furniture rearranged, I'm going to be using a Himalayan salt lamp to try to reduce the amount of blue light my ceiling fan light bulbs (fluorescents which will be replaced soon because fluorescents EMFs are bad) give off at night by reading by the lamp light instead of the ceiling lights.  If I can shift my bedtime routine back a little bit (I've been slacking just a little with only cleaning off my bed at 10 instead of getting into bed at 10 which is what I'm supposed to do) I might be able to mitigate it a little.

I tried to get my mom to run with me in the mornings last summer when I was doing Couch to 5k three times a week.  Problem is I wanted to run in the morning (that's what I had been doing during the school year) instead of the evenings (would be around 7 or 8pm depending on dinner, plus I didn't want to run on a full stomach).  So in order for her to run (routine is roughly 1/2 hour) and have time to shower afterwards, we would have to go out between 5:15 and 5:30 and I would be on breakfast duty for the whole family.  I just said I didn't want to have to cook breakfast for myself, nevermind my parents too (and my dad won't eat the turkey patties, only the pork sausage links, and idk how to prepare those), and 5:15 is much earlier than I ever wanted to get up.  I always ended up going back to bed and sleeping in until like noon.  It was fine during the school year; my running group took off at 7:15 on the dot and that was actually really good for me (though I struggled not to fall asleep in ODE afterwards lol).  I don't have any friends in the area - I'd have to drive ten minutes to get to the nearest one and she works at the local supermarket so maybe not even then.

The other thing is that she "pulled a muscle in her calf" on our third outing.  I guess I should have expected that somewhat since she's not a runner at all and we were running on hills (probably the only really hilly place in this state lol).

I could just run by myself in the next neighborhood after my mom goes to work.  Get up at 6:45, step out at 7 right when my mom leaves.  That just leaves the other two weekdays.

• Like 1