• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

So, I read somewhere that endurance training will decrease muscle mass and weaken muscles over time.  I'm already weak and I'm lifting weights 3 times a week to get stronger.  I'd like to start doing some endurance training on my bike because I really enjoy it, but I don't want to defeat my strength training efforts. 

Does anyone have any experience with this, or helpful information online they can point me to?

thanks!

You don't really need to worry about it unless you're really hard on yourself on the bike.  If your goals are primarily to get big and strong as quickly as possible, you won't get there on a bike, but if you just want to be healthier, there's nothing wrong with mixing in some cycling or running if you enjoy it.  You won't undo your strength training unless you're not eating enough *and* logging huge mileage on the bike.

• Like 2

^^^ Yep, that.  Unless you're at the very top competitively of either there is no reason to worry about it.  I go through phases where I will focus more on strength and maintain conditioning, and then go through a phase that's opposite.  They both stay in the mix at all times, though.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's kind of a half-truth that folks with a strength-bias turn into a statement of fact, when it's complicated at best.  You'll have a hard time achieving muscular hypertrophy by endurance exercise alone (though if you look at the legs of pro cyclists, it's definitely not impossible), but you won't suddenly see a drop in muscle mass and strength just because you run sometimes.

• Like 2

Adding a bunch of endurance work may slow your strength gains, but, on the other hand, it may be good for your heart, lungs, and mind. We are versatile creatures, so don't feel like you have to specialize right now if you don't want to. This is supposed to be fun, remember? :)

• Like 1