Experiences with "Good Bread"

cn3wton

So I am back after a long hiatus and gaining quite a bit of weight after my previous success. I am looking to get back on track.

Before the only carbs I got where from vegetables. No pasta, bread etc. Not even whole wheat or multi grain.

Now that I am back I have purchased healthy multi grain bread. Lowest carb I can find with high dietary fiber and all that. But my concern is this. I am always worried that when I find a substitute for something (like bread) it makes it easier for me to spiral into abusing it. For instance I had been using whole wheat wraps in my diet before, but started eating them at every meal. I know that this bread can fit into my current macros, but I guess my real question is this.

What is your experience with subbing in things like whole wheat or multi grain bread. Do you feel like it helped you or just made it easier for you to fall back to unhealthier types of carbs?

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Battle Log | Challenge

Well, personally, I limit bread because too much wreaks havoc on my digestive system. I've also found that sourdough breads, really anything with a longer ferment, is not only tastier and stales slower, but is easier on my tummy too.

In terms of adding it back to your diet, abstinence vs moderation is an entire personal decision. Have you had a history of binging, or stringing along too many 'cheat days' in a row? Maybe you could stay bread free weekdays, and have it as a treat for one meal each on the weekends? That provides a nice structured way to indulge, but with easy limitations that you can't pretend with.

• Like 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

2 hours ago, Defining said:

Well, personally, I limit bread because too much wreaks havoc on my digestive system. I've also found that sourdough breads, really anything with a longer ferment, is not only tastier and stales slower, but is easier on my tummy too.

In terms of adding it back to your diet, abstinence vs moderation is an entire personal decision. Have you had a history of binging, or stringing along too many 'cheat days' in a row? Maybe you could stay bread free weekdays, and have it as a treat for one meal each on the weekends? That provides a nice structured way to indulge, but with easy limitations that you can't pretend with.

I definitely binge... Ive read some stuff on how things like bread affect the gut. I guess I should look into that. I generally feel fine afterwards but who knows maybe I'm just used to it.

Part of mE wants to try it as an exercise in self control. The other half thinks I'm just using it as an excuse....

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Battle Log | Challenge

Multigrain bread is vastly overrated imo.  same with fiber-enriched, sprouted grain, etc.  They're usually sweetened (sometimes with honey or grape juice, which are still sugars), they're squidgy soft unless toasted, and they taste like cardboard.  Don't get me started on 'low carb' bread.  It's about as worthwhile as 'fat free' ice cream, I think. 

Maybe some people find those substitute pseudo-foods useful.  They're certainly a profitable industry.  But I'd rather have bread that tastes like bread and ice cream that tastes like ice cream, and just eat smaller portions of them.

I prefer those crusty toothsome artisan breads, and I treat the bread as a side dish, not the main course.  Make sure it's accompanied with plenty of plant matter, a modest chunk of protein and a spoonful of fat, and you'll be doing it right.

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

1 hour ago, Raincloak said:

Multigrain bread is vastly overrated imo.  same with fiber-enriched, sprouted grain, etc.  They're usually sweetened (sometimes with honey or grape juice, which are still sugars), they're squidgy soft unless toasted, and they taste like cardboard.  Don't get me started on 'low carb' bread.  It's about as worthwhile as 'fat free' ice cream, I think. 

Maybe some people find those substitute pseudo-foods useful.  They're certainly a profitable industry.  But I'd rather have bread that tastes like bread and ice cream that tastes like ice cream, and just eat smaller portions of them.

I prefer those crusty toothsome artisan breads, and I treat the bread as a side dish, not the main course.  Make sure it's accompanied with plenty of plant matter, a modest chunk of protein and a spoonful of fat, and you'll be doing it right.

I agree with you about how I think a lot of this stuff is kind of just hype. It may have fewer calories but is it really better for you or an equal replacement. I have always kept the idea that if your replacing something with a healthier option go in not expecting it to be the same, doesn't mean the replacement isn't good, its just not going to be the same.

The bread I have found is 110 calories per slice, with 19 carbs, 2 fat, 5 protein, its actually this. I have done well so far, and am going to continue to view it as a test of self control. Not toasting half the loaf and making garlic bread...

Battle Log | Challenge