Mini Challenge: 50/50 Squat Challenge

The last of the Big 3 for these endurance minis :)

I promise you will have something with less cardio next time.

4c13d9540a6c091d1a1abbe67e8b8ba972acba6c

The challenge is simple. Load the bar to 50% of your bodyweight, put it on your back, and squat it as many times as you can in one set. You can judge breaks between reps for yourself, but it shouldn't be forever. Many will get to the point where you're taking 4-5 breaths between reps if you're really pushing yourself, and that's fine. Re-rack = end of set

EASY and Normal Mode:

The goal is 50 reps. If you can do this, you've got some strong ass legs and some good endurance. +1 Strength and +1 Stamina to any who get all 50 reps. +0.5 of each to those who hit 25. Everyone who makes a honest attempt will get +1 Wisdom.

For you vets of the 50/50 mini-quest (this is a "bench mark" mini-quest, the warriors do it once or twice a year) who have completed the 50 reps before, we've got two advanced ways you can take a run at. This is only recommended for people who have completed the 50/50 challenge as prescribed above.

HARD Mode:

The first is by doing it with front squats. That simple. 50% of your bodyweight across your clavicles for as many reps as possible, with the aim of hitting 50. +1.5 Strength and +1.5 Stamina to any who get all 50 reps. +0.75 of each to those who hit 25.

NIGHTMARE Mode:

The second is by still doing back squats, but using your full bodyweight for as many reps as possible in 5 minutes. The difference here is that you can put the bar down, it doesn't need to be one set. However, the time cap is 5 min. +2 Strength and +2 Stamina to any who get all 50 reps. +1 of each to those who hit 25.

Think that last one is impossible? Watch these bad asses.

Completed both hard mode and nightmare mode before? (looking at you @Flex Luthor) Try Overhead squats for 50/50.

Be careful! This mini-quest will push you to the very limits of your endurance and many, if not most, of you will not complete the 50 reps. Form will start to slip as you fatigue, and fighting to keep it as good as possible is a huge part of the challenge to this exercise. If it starts to slip to the point where you are risking injury, STOP! This is a fun test of high rep squatting and may be a new experience to many of you, but is not worth injuring yourself over. Always use a spotter and/or safeties!

This mini-quest will run through the remainder of the challenge. Good luck!

• Like 10

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Innn! I don't remember if I did this last summer, but I'll give it a crack on hard on Friday, then try nightmare Saturday.

@Rurik Harrgath, @Jarric, @Agnarr, @ArgSki77, @imprimis5, and @Oramac; get your ranger asses on this and tag anyone else that'd be interested. I think @mr_willes and @Broba Fett aren't cleared to squat yet, so they best don some glittery ranger panties and wave the pom poms. 

• Like 8

Whats the timeline of when this ends? Nevermind...I should read the whole thing its the last line.

Im still a bit smoked from squats during Memorial Day Hero WODs...4x24 at 135lbs was not friendly to me. I cant imagine that 1x50 at a higher weight would be much better...but I am in

• Like 1

Level 12 Ranger - Instagram | MFP

Challenges

2016: First - Second - Third - Fourth - Fifth - Sixth - Seventh

2017: Eighth - Ninth - Tenth - Eleventh - Twelfth

Respawn 2017 - CH1

2 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

Whats the timeline of when this ends?

Im still a bit smoked from squats during Memorial Day Hero WODs...4x24 at 135lbs was not friendly to me. I cant imagine that 1x50 at a higher weight would be much better...but I am in

I'll let Marissa wrangle the timeframe, but remember breaks are allowed. Planning to do hard mode on 4x12, and 1x2 as part of my normal conditioning circuits.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, ArgSki77 said:

Whats the timeline of when this ends?

Reread the last line of her Challenge. ;)

1 hour ago, miss_marissa said:

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

45 minutes ago, Laghail said:

they best don some glittery ranger panties and wave the pom poms. 

1. That was a one time thing for your birthday.
  2. I can squat but I'm nowhere near being able to squat ~200 for 50 reps.   I shall watch this one from the sidelines.  Thanks for the invite though. 
  • Like 7
Spoiler

Currently...

Playing (Video Game): RDR2

DMing: Tyranny of Dragons.  First session 11/29.

Broba Fett tracks em down.

Facebook (Personal)  Facebook (Author Page)

Past Challenges:

1 hour ago, Laghail said:

Ranger People: get your ranger asses on this and tag anyone else that'd be interested. I think  and aren't cleared to squat yet, so they best don some glittery ranger panties and wave the pom poms. 

I'm probably out.  My knee being what it is, and having just started with a new trainer, I'm unlikely to be cleared for this mini.  That being said.....

2 hours ago, miss_marissa said:

I'll run it past the trainer and see what she says.  

• Like 2

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

54 minutes ago, Oramac said:

I'm probably out.  My knee being what it is, and having just started with a new trainer, I'm unlikely to be cleared for this mini.  That being said.....

I'll run it past the trainer and see what she says.  

What does this have to do with wearing ranger panties?

• Like 3

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

I'm not allowed to squat for at least 2 more weeks, so I doubt I'll be able to do this in time. I may take it on in the near future, just to benchmark :D 

• Like 4

Thanks for the tag @Laghail. Also think @jonfirestar and @Wild Wolf should have a look in on this.

I don't know at the moment if I can fit this in with my programming, if I do it will be the end of week 4. If not I'll still give it a go, just as a benchmark.

• Like 2

Level 13 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Homemaking - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

23 hours ago, Laghail said:

I'll let Marissa wrangle the timeframe, but remember breaks are allowed. Planning to do hard mode on 4x12, and 1x2 as part of my normal conditioning circuits.

Breaks are allowed! But you can't rerack the bar! You have to stay standing with the bar on your back/clavicles.

19 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

I did it last year and I stopped on 25 reps at 50% of bw. I'll do it again this year to see if there's any change. There shouldn't be because my 1RM has decreased. Let's see! 

1RM and 25RM are very different beasts

I want to remind everyone you have until the end of the challenge to complete, however, the Virtual competition will be sometime toward the end of June (cc: @Gainsdalf the Whey) so just keep that in mind.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

34 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Clarification question for hard and Nightmare mode. Those do not have to be completed without a rerack? Or just nightmare? This completely changes how I approach this challenge.

Hard mode you can't rerack. 

nightmare mode you can, because its an 5min AMRAP.

Wheymen

2 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Did the normal mode tonight at the gym. All 50 reps. I might post a video later.

Edit: Video in spoiler

Hide contents

YOU ARE PHENOMENAL!! How do you even keep count when squatting to 50? I lose count on a set of 10. Did anybody ask you what kind of crazy nonsense you were up to?

• Like 5

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

6 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Did the normal mode tonight at the gym. All 50 reps. I might post a video later.

Hide contents

So awesome!!! And can I just say I love the thumbs up at the end! :D

• Like 2

We will never see the best version of ourselves inside our comfort zone

18 hours ago, AugustaAdaByron said:

Hide contents

FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!

On 6/2/2017 at 0:27 PM, miss_marissa said:

I want to remind everyone you have until the end of the challenge to complete, however, the Virtual competition will be sometime toward the end of June (cc: @Gainsdalf the Whey) so just keep that in mind.

I was just thinking about this over the weekend, knew it was coming up and I have been MIA. I THINK I posted an exact date, so I have to look it up. Will go do so now.

On that note, though I'm not posting right now, I do open the site most week days to check for notifications, So if anyone ever wants to ping me, just tag me like MM did.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Anyone remember where I may have posted dates? All I can find is "challenge 5", which is this one. Lacking dates I'm thinking 6/24 to 7/2.

On 6/3/2017 at 3:37 PM, AugustaAdaByron said:

Hide contents

So many things about that video! That depth! That music! All the lady lifters! Where do you lift where there are so many women? That's awesome. That song was my high school football hype song I'd listen to in front of the locker or on the walk there before games.

I've been thinking recently about how best to get lifting again now that the baby is sleeping through the night often enough that I can recover (last night's 3 hours sleep being an outlier), and this might have inspired me to just get squatting as often as I can at light weights to do this mini by the end of the challenge.

On 6/3/2017 at 6:36 PM, Taddea Zhaan said:

YOU ARE PHENOMENAL!! How do you even keep count when squatting to 50? I lose count on a set of 10. Did anybody ask you what kind of crazy nonsense you were up to?

I counted 51

On 6/3/2017 at 9:40 PM, Grumble said:

First attempt fail. 22 front squats at 140.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

What was the limiter? Last time we did this I tried front squats and failed around the same point, but because I couldn't breath vs muscular/form failure.

• Like 3

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

27 minutes ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

What was the limiter? Last time we did this I tried front squats and failed around the same point, but because I couldn't breath vs muscular/form failure.

Definitely breathing. My legs still had life left in them, and I did 3 sets of 5 at 235 and 270 right after.

• Like 1

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior