Well, where to start.

Let's start with the blurb from my character sheet:

"Started life as an elf scout.  4yrs of Cross Country in high school had me graduating at 5'9" and 120lbs.  I could run forever.  A sedentary adult life, most notably after the discovery of beer and women, has turned me into a chubby, balding human desk jockey."

I'm (nearly) 45 and am in probably the worst shape of my life.  As noted above, I spend a majority of my workday camped in front of a computer monitor.  Having said that, my "goals" from my character sheet should give a clear picture of where I am in my head... "I can still get out and go in the woods, but I'd rather it be easier, and less painful to recover"

I enjoy hiking, hunting, fishing, (light) mountain biking, and basically being outside.  I still play paintball occasionally with my son, from short, easy recreational play on weekends to full 26 hour scenario games.  I'd like to do more of all of the above without feeling like death warmed over the following day(s).

Some accomplishments from my outdoor time since I turned 30:

I've hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and camped 3x.

I've done probably 30 miles of trails in the Rocky Mountains on a vacation last summer.

I've competed in 4 or 5 single day "sprint" adventure races, including one that got us about 60 miles on our bikes and over 12 miles of hiking/running through the woods.

Now, looking at all of this, I'd guess my choice of Scout as my character class is probably accurate.  I'd like to be a bit stronger, but in general Scout seems to fit.

From a (movie) nerd perspective, I see myself as more this guy...

MV5BMjA2NDI5MDY4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTE3

than this guy...

Aragorn-in-the-Return-of-the-King-aragor

• Like 3

- Brian -

Run, never.  Die, often.  Exlpore, ALWAYS!

Hey!  Welcome on board, I'm sure the Scouts will be glad to have you.  Have you had much chance to look around the forum yet?  There is a 4 Week Challenge underway (which you could join in with if you wanted), that's probably the most used part of the forum and I'd suggest you have a look at some of the threads to give you an idea of how it all works.  Personally I think the challenges are a great way of helping you reach your goals, and meeting other members too.  Have you joined the academy, or Rising Heroes or anything?  I'm just asking because lots of people do, I have never bothered myself so I don't really know what it's like to give any recommendations, lol!

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Are you into RPGs at all, would creating your own character interest you?  It's not my thing but lots of people really enjoy the role play aspect and "levelling up" their character every time they achieve something and all that jazz.  

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

On 6/1/2017 at 11:23 AM, Guzzi said:

There is a 4 Week Challenge underway (which you could join in with if you wanted), that's probably the most used part of the forum and I'd suggest you have a look at some of the threads to give you an idea of how it all works.

Guzzi is an amazing envoy for all of us, but I will just second this.  The 4 week challenges are really the best way to get into the fight (whatever shape that takes on for your depending on your goals).  I am also a huge advocate of the mini's challenges which are a great way to start off with another person acting as DM...so to speak.

I am a former cross country runner and often seek adventures in the rocky mountains so feel free to reach out if you have questions or just want to chat.

Current Challenge: TBD

Past Challenges: Road to Redemption  Spartan! 006 Triwizard Wonder (1/2) Bourne Foundations Storyteller

"Come stay a while and listen" - Deckard

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf 

Thanks, Six.

The longer I mull over things, the more I'm thinking to hold off on joining the scout team.  I need to increase my cardio, but I don't think any of my goals coincide with increased running ability or long distance endurance.  I need to build strength, particularly upper body strength, and more muscle endurance than cardio.

I got to thinking about recent adventures of mine, and the hiking was never really an issue, it was carrying the pack while doing it.  Additionally, after a day of playing paintball (short, intense movement combined with prolonged crouching, squatting, etc. while holding my arms at shoulder level), I could barely move my arms and my quads and hips were feeling pretty busted up.

I need to further evaluate where I am and where I want to be.  Then I'll figure out what that makes me.

- Brian -

Run, never.  Die, often.  Exlpore, ALWAYS!

45 minutes ago, Versan said:

I need to further evaluate where I am and where I want to be.  Then I'll figure out what that makes me.

Best of luck in your analysis. Don't be afraid to attempt a training routine to see if it fits you. A lot of folks just get started with something like couch to 5k, or stronglifts, and see how the running and/or lifting treat them. Sometimes gathering working data helps make a final decision.

Level 38 [TBD]

1 hour ago, Versan said:

It's worth mentioning that at the end of the day, despite our divergent goals, we're all here to support each other.  One of my inspirations in the Assassins mixes lifting (warrior), Krav Maga(monk), bodyweight (assassins), and running (scouts) -- she's a badass.  Another inspiration of mine was an adventurer who recently realigned with the Scouts, but he does his own animal of exercise (a lot of primal movement in the woods) but also puts a lot of emphasis on improving himself all-around.  But the point is that you should do whatever works for you -- there will be people here with some knowledge that may help you.  You might be able to lend some running knowledge too.  Don't be afraid to dabble or jump in wherever you want.

I hang with the assassins because bodyweight works with my life right now and I love progressive calisthenics.  I'll do an occasional 3-5mi  run, but it's definitely not the focus of my journey right now.  Maybe later?  Maybe not?  

Current Challenge: TBD

Past Challenges: Road to Redemption  Spartan! 006 Triwizard Wonder (1/2) Bourne Foundations Storyteller

"Come stay a while and listen" - Deckard

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf