Giving into peer pressure

So I figured I'd give in and start a log like all the other cool kids, if for nothing else than to give myself some accountability. So here it goes:

Sunday 6/4

Woke up at 5 am, nursed a cup of coffee until about 6 am when I became a functional human being.

Got to the gym and did this:

Front squat

1x5 45 lb warm up

1x5 65 lb warm up

2x5 130 lb work set

1x6 130 lb amrap

Bench press

1x5 45 lb warm up

1x5 65 lb warm up

2x5 125 lb work set

1x6 125 lb amrap

Inverted row

2x10 pronated grip

1x8 supinated grip

Reverse crunches

3x15

Farmers carry

2x60 seconds with 60 lb in each hand

For breakfast I had two scrambled eggs, some toast with peanut butter, and another cup of coffee (I like coffee).

That's all for now.

• Like 1

Sunday 6/4

For lunch I had a chicken sandwich with cheese and spinach, some cantaloupe, and a banana.

Feeling pretty proud about that, seeing as how I also had the choice of adding in a couple of chocolate chip muffins that were fresh baked. 

For dinner, I cooked a chicken breast for the first time and it actually turned out pretty great. I cooked it in a pan and seasoned it with some olive oil, garlic salt, and italian seasoning. I also steamed some snow peas and tossed them with the same seasonings as the chicken. Simple dinner, but damn it was good.

Monday 6/5

Woke up at 4 am and drank a cup of coffee on the way to BJJ practice.

Taught the class and sparred two hard five minute rounds

Came home and made a protein shake w/ 1 frozen banana, a scoop of peanut butter, a scoop of protein powder, and 12 oz of milk

For lunch I had a chicken sandwich with cheese, spinach, and cucumbers, along with some cantaloupe and a granola bar. (Chicken sandwich is my go to for a good lunch)

Ate some peanut butter crackers for a snack later (Actual peanut butter spread on some whole wheat Ritz crackers)

For dinner I cooked two chicken breasts and had some cucumbers and Hawaiian rolls with that.

Feeling pretty good about my eating habits so far, just need to kick my butt back into gear and start training jiu jitsu some more. I missed out on a 6 pm class due to school work, that I honestly could have done later, but I used it as an excuse. Gonna do better tomorrow.

• Like 2

Tuesday 6/6

Woke up at 5 am and drank a cup of coffee on the way to the gym

Deadlift:

1x5 95# warm up

1x5 135# warm up

2x5 225# work set

1x7 225# amrap

Shoulder press:

1x5 45# warm up

1x5 65# warm up

2x5 80# work set

1x7 80# amrap

Barbell row:

1x5 45# warm up

1x5 65# warm up

2x5 125# work set

1x6 125# amrap

Russian twists:

3x20 w/ a 30# dumbell

Farmers carry:

2x60 seconds w/ 60# in each hand

For breakfast I made another protein smoothie w/ a banana, a scoop of peanut butter, a scoop of protein powder, and 12 oz of milk

Lunch I treated myself a little and ordered some chicken fried rice. Mainly just chicken, rice, and a few vegetables mixed in, so not that bad except for all the sauces they mix in with it. Felt like a treat without going too overboard.

Mid afternoon snack was a granola bar. Trying to cut those out of my diet since they're highly processed and they have a lot of sugar, but unfortunately they are currently in my house and I have the willpower of a sugar addict in a donut shop.

For dinner I just ate some dirty rice w/ hamburger meat, some green beans, and some garlic toast. 

Got my butt in gear and went to BJJ class as well. Awesome class, lots of people in there including some old faces I hadn't seen in a while. Rolled a good 5 or 6 rounds, gassed out around round 3 but kept going until I was about to pass out from exhaustion. Need to work on my cardio and endurance, which basically just means I need to keep rolling more rounds. Gotta stay with it.

• Like 2

Wednesday 6/7

Woke up at 4 am and drank a cup of coffee on the way to class

Went over some choke holds and transitions in my BJJ class, then rolled 4 five minute rounds with my students

All I felt like making this morning was some toast w/ peanut butter, but that kept me full until around eleven pm

Got home from school and made a chicken sandwich with cheese, spinach, and cucumbers, along with some crackers and peanut butter for lunch

So, I planned on going to BJJ class tonight, but I ended up falling asleep on the couch while reading a book and didn't wake up until around 7.  The class starts at 6, so I was SOL. Oh well, I probably needed the sleep and I'm planning on training tomorrow and Friday night.  Gonna set an alarm on my phone for 5:30.

For dinner, got a chicken, lettuce, and tomato wrap from a Greek place in town.  

Thursday 6/8

Woke up at 5 am and stumbled my way to the coffee pot.

No school today so I was able to actually enjoy my cup of coffee before I left my house.

Workout:

Front squat

1x5 45# warm up

1x5 65# warm up

2x5 135# work set

1x6 135# amrap

Bench press

1x5 45# warm up

1x5 65# warm up

2x5 130# work set

1x6 130# amrap

Inverted row

2x10 supinated grip

2x10 pronated grip

On the last set with the pronated grip I had to raise the bar slightly to finish the set

Reverse crunches

3x20

Farmers carry

2x60 seconds w/ 70# in each hand

For breakfast I made my usual protein shake w/ a banana, some peanut butter, protein powder, and 12 oz of milk

Ate some peanut butter crackers for a snack and had a late lunch of grilled chicken with some mixed fruit from chic-fil-a.

Didn't have anything to eat in the house for dinner so I ran by Subway and got a 6 inch sandwich on wheat bread w/ chicken, american cheese, spinach, cucumbers, tomatoes, pickles, salt, and pepper along with some apple slices.

Had an awesome BJJ class tonight. Went over some good techniques, and I got to help one of my buddies get ready for his upcoming fight. If you follow UFC at all, you might have seen his last fight. His name is Jason Knight. I got to do some rolling and drilling with him along with some other high level guys in there. Overall I feel exhausted but it's the good kind of exhaustion.

• Like 1

Friday 6/9

Woke up at 4 am, drank the coffee, went to the gym

Went over some good techniques, but the guy I was with was injured so no sparring.

Ate some oatmeal with some crunchy granola, honey, and a banana mixed in to change things up.

Made some chicken and rice for lunch, and I ate the leftovers for dinner.

BJJ class was fun, I spent most of it doing drills and rolling with a buddy who was getting ready for an amateur fight. 

Saturday 6/10

Workout:

Deadlift

2x5 135# warm up

2x5 235# work set

1x7 235# amrap

Shoulder press

2x5 45# warm up

2x5 85# work set

1x7 85# amrap

Barbell row

2x5 65# warm up

2x5 130# work set

1x3 130# amrap

Time to deload some weight

Russian twists

3x20 30#

Farmers carry

1x60 seconds 70#

1x45 seconds 70#

Made my usual protein smoothie for breakfast, added an extra scoop of peanut butter for fun.  Spent most of the morning tearing down a fence as well, so I suppose that counts as a workout.

For lunch I ate a turkey sandwich with some after I was done with the fence. 

For dinner I decided to try something new and ordered some sushi that I never tried before. Can't say I liked it, but I'm trying to get a little more adventurous with my eating habits so it's a step in the right direction.

Sunday 6/11

Nothing really noteworthy today, had a rest day and caught up on some school work. 

I did treat myself a little with breakfast. I ate some cinnamon rolls, but I did make up for it by eating a salad for lunch. 

Monday 6/12

Woke up at 4 am and taught my morning jiu jitsu class

Got in some good rolls with my students, figured out some key points to work on them with

Tonight, we had two black belts come in from another gym and teach class

Went over some very interesting techniques and spent a lot of time drilling

I got back into Muay Thai tonight after taking 3 years off. Did some combination drills and two rounds of light sparring. Feels good to be back in there and knocking some of the rust off.

Meal wise I feel pretty good, could be eating more vegetables though.  I need to start counting my protein intake as well. Don't really care about calories, since I could stand to gain some weight.  I'll get on that tomorrow.

Tuesday 6/13

Workout:

Front squat

2x5 65# warm up

2x5 140# work set

1x4 140# amrap

Time to deload

Bench press

2x5 65# warm up

2x5 135# work set

1x6 135# amrap

I'd just like to say, I was freaking ecstatic after I knocked this one out. I used to lift a couple years ago, but in all that time I could never hit a 135 pound bench for more than 2 or 3 reps. Might not seem like a lot to some people, but damn I'm happy.

Inverted row

3x10 supinated grip

Reverse crunches

3x20

Farmers carry 

2x60 seconds 70#

Probably gonna be switching up some of my accessory work here soon.  I'm gonna try to target my arms a little more and build some more strength in my triceps since that's where I feel myself burning out the most during bench and OHP.  Also gonna switch from inverted rows and start working chin ups and pull ups, and possibly add in some Turkish get ups to supplement my jiu jitsu.

As far as jiu jitsu goes, I was unable to go to class tonight due to some school stuff that I am still trying to get straightened out.  It's looking good for me though, and I'll be back in class tomorrow night.

Meals felt good today, and I did start counting my protein.  I was slightly under 200 g of protein total for my intake today, and at 208 lb I figure that's a good number.  I could still stand to eat more veggies though. 

Wednesday 6/14

Taught jiu jitsu this morning, went over some fun techniques and I rolled a good 4 rounds.  I'm happy to say my students are getting better and it's getting to the point where I can't take it easy on them anymore.

Went to class tonight to burn off some stress and ended up training for about three hours. Class was wrestling drills and then I rolled probably around 6 or 7 rounds until I was completely exhausted. Spent some time working with some of the fighters after that helping them get ready. Left the gym feeling spent but loving it.  No Muay Thai tonight, they were doing a belt test, and since it would have been my second night back, I certainly didn't feel ready for it.

Completely blew it on meals, started off good with breakfast, then it just went downhill from there. I was tired all day and in a bad mood, and I ended up splurging on a cheeseburger and fries.  I was so exhausted tonight that I didn't have the energy to cook dinner, so I just ate some crackers and laid down.  I'm pissed off at myself, but I'll get some good sleep tonight and start fresh in the morning.

Thursday 6/15

Workout:

OHP

1x5 45# warm up

1x5 65# warm up

2x5 90# work set

1x5 90# amrap

Chin ups

3x3 BW

Deadlift

2x5 135# warm up

2x5 245# work set

1x6 245# amrap

Barbell row

2x5 65# warm up

2x5 115# work set

1x7 115# amrap

Had some errands to run and was in a hurry, so I skipped the core and grip work

Went to night class for BJJ tonight, pretty fun and I got some good rounds in. Focusing on being more technical and controlling and not getting put on my back so much.

Day was hectic, didn't bother counting anything, but I ate fairly clean and feel good.

• Like 1