I'm Here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubble Gum but Kicking Asses Makes My Feet Stink and I Don't Like Gum

Time for another quasi-semi-annualish respawn.

I've got a trip coming up in July that I'm, well...not looking to get into shape for, precisely. More accurately, I'm looking to use it as a motivation for general, overall improvement of myself. Or, rather, my Self.

The trip's to the beach, and I'd like to transition from this (admittedly studly) skinny-fat dadbod into something I'd be comfortable with exposing. I went back to the Rebel Fitness Guide's Basic Training for a couple of days, but haven't been able to prioritize workouts at home. I've two toddlers to take care of, a novel I'm working on, a guitar I'm trying to learn, and housework to all keep up on. Coupled with nights that are guaranteed to be interrupted at least twice by insomniac half-pints, it doesn't really make for a convenient workout environment.

So, I've been making due at work. Every half hour, it's twenty squats, ten push-ups, and ten dips, with the occasional plank thrown in. I'll also do a bit of yoga at the desk, to discourage muscle stiffness and soreness, though that's only been for the last couple of days. 

I've also incorporated a bit of intermittent fasting and a commitment to better eating overall. My meals are almost always meat and vegetables, with the only indulgence being a bit of milk in my coffee. I've cut alcohol (almost) entirely out, and have done fairly well resisting even a bite of dessert at most family shindigs.

Things are good, but things could be better. I'm not sure if my desk workout is as optimal as it could be. It doesn't really allow for a warm-up or cool-down, and it seems that it may be too frequent. It doesn't leave me terribly sore or anything (though that tenth push-up can sometimes be a real effort), but I'm not sure if it allows time enough for recovery. Additionally, I've a tightness in my lower back that I'd like to incorporate something to help with.

So...advice and suggestions? Food, movement, motivation, anything really is welcome.

Thanks. :)

Good news and bad news:

It's already a week into June.  July is not far away.  There is a limit to how physically ripped you can get in the next several weeks.  But, though the enhancement to your appearance will be slight, the improvements in confidence and aerobic conditioning will be noticeable even after such a short training period.

Your desk workout sounds great.  If pushups are that easy for you, why not try a variation that makes them harder?  Every half hour might be overdoing it if you want to see improvements, although it's fine if you are already somewhat fit and just trying to keep circulation going.  (I'm impressed your coworkers can put up with you getting up and doing that so often.)

Maybe switch to more difficult movements 3x/day, and yoga stretches hourly.

As for your back, check your seated posture, walk as much as possible, and use proper form when lifting those toddlers.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Fortunately, I'm aiming more for 'fit' than 'ripped', and seeing enough progress to keep myself motivated. You're right about the secondary areas of improvement, though.

The desk workout's still going well, and the co-workers don't even bat an eye at it, which is nice. I'm thinking of trying your suggestion about mixing it up, if only because I'm racking up some serious fatigue with so much activity and so little recovery between.

My seated posture definitely sucks; I hunch unconsciously due to my monitors being on desk-level and my body being that of a rather tall, lanky bastard. I may track down a few reams of printer paper today to give them a bit of lift.

And proper form for lifting, always. :) I actually find myself enjoying picking them when I know I'm doing everything right. That alone's a fair workout, most days.

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement, @Raincloak!