Welcome to the rebellion. Looks like your challenge goals are pretty solid, but what are your long term goals?

You can do this!

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Hey there! Welcome to the rebellion!

I really like your goals. They are tangible, achievable things that will easily improve your quality of life. That is great! 

But like @Red1263 mentioned, long-term goals are also very important, because they help you focus you short-term goals so that everything you do helps you towards an end point.

These goals can be anything you like, with more commons ones such as weight loss, muscle building, toning, or just building endurance. You set your own goals!

If you are looking for some ideas for these goals, check out the guild system Nerd Fitness has going on! You can join a guild based on whatever sounds most interesting to you at the time (Warriors for strength training, scouts for endurance, etc.) and be able to scavenge ideas from their boards! When I first started looking around on these forums, before I officially joined, I would check a few of the guilds that focused on things I liked and wanted to do, and took my goals from some of the users there.

Start off with small thing, and eventually it'll come naturally to you! I'm glad you're here, and I wish you luck with forming your new life habits :)

Level 11 Ranger

My Introduction!

Character Page

I think a good idea for me would be an endurance goal. I've always played sports and would like to get back where I could play something without getting so winded. 

Also so weight loss would be good. I weigh about 155 and would like to lose and maintain a weight 140. 

Okay, first two long term goals: 

1. Weigh 140

2. Run an 8 minute mile without stopping. 

What do do you guys think?? @Isaac Clark @Red1263

@Emilycvaughn Those are good goals for the long-term! Ambitious, but something you can easily do, from the sounds of it!

If those are the goals you want to commit to, you will then want to break them down into smaller goals that you check your progress on periodically. For instance, when I first started on my weight loss regimen (Started at 165, weigh 134 now), I simply made a commitment for just one week to log all of the food I ate on MyFitnessPal, a food tracking app, so that I could see how many calories I ate in a day and throughout the week in total. When the week was done, I looked over everything to see how I did with logging my food, and decided I could do it again for the upcoming week. 

There are a LOT of resources you can find on these forums, on the main website, and throughout the internet about losing weight and building endurance. As a beginner, I recommend you do some reading about Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE), and see where yours is! That way, you can compare it to the amount of calories you consume now, the figure out exactly where to go.

If you're up for it, a challenge that helped me was to aim for, just two or three times a week, give up an unhealthy snack you otherwise would have had out of habit. Things like chips, candy bars, full-calorie sodas, stuff like that.

If you had any questions or I wasn't clear on anything, just send me a PM! :)

Level 11 Ranger

My Introduction!

Character Page

1. In terms of losing weight, it's 80% diet and 20% exercise. So that's more of a conscious effort/goal

2. That's a goal that you've gotta build up over time. Start making running a routine, then focus on shorting the time with more and more sprinting.

Both are great starting goals, Emily!

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

@Emilycvaughn Those are good goals for the long-term! Ambitious, but something you can easily do, from the sounds of it!

If those are the goals you want to commit to, you will then want to break them down into smaller goals that you check your progress on periodically. For instance, when I first started on my weight loss regimen (Started at 165, weigh 134 now), I simply made a commitment for just one week to log all of the food I ate on MyFitnessPal, a food tracking app, so that I could see how many calories I ate in a day and throughout the week in total. When the week was done, I looked over everything to see how I did with logging my food, and decided I could do it again for the upcoming week. 

There are a LOT of resources you can find on these forums, on the main website, and throughout the internet about losing weight and building endurance. As a beginner, I recommend you do some reading about Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE), and see where yours is! That way, you can compare it to the amount of calories you consume now, the figure out exactly where to go.

If you're up for it, a challenge that helped me was to aim for, just two or three times a week, give up an unhealthy snack you otherwise would have had out of habit. Things like chips, candy bars, full-calorie sodas, stuff like that.

If you had any questions or I wasn't clear on anything, just send me a PM! [emoji4]

I've been writing down my food intake, just in the notes on my phone. I'm going to begin tracking the nutrition parts of it beginning next week.

I've actually cut out all sodas and have been drinking just water the past two weeks. I think cutting out random candy snacks will be a good challenge for me. So the rest of this week and next, no candy snacks. I don't eat them but once or twice a week so this should be achievable.

I'm going to look into tdee!!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. In terms of losing weight, it's 80% diet and 20% exercise. So that's more of a conscious effort/goal

2. That's a goal that you've gotta build up over time. Start making running a routine, then focus on shorting the time with more and more sprinting.

Both are great starting goals, Emily!

I've lost weight before, but it didn't stick cause when I got to my goal I gave myself a break which turned into me gaining it all back.

My diet has improved these past two weeks. Only drinking water. Meats and veggies. Less snacks.

The thing for me about endurance is I could probably achieve my mile in 8 minutes tomorrow because I could just force myself. But I want to be able to do it daily when I get to it.

I've began a "routine" this week. Not much of a planned out one other than just running. I'm going to need to work on the timing of it. Like walking and running a mile. Then eventually just running. Then shortening the time of my run by sprints.

Thanks!

On 6/15/2017 at 11:51 AM, Emilycvaughn said:

Hey guys! Just ran a mile in right over ten minutes without stopping!!

Great start to my 8 minute mile goal!!

The fact that you were able to run a mile without stopping in 10 minutes is a hell of a start.  You should give yourself credit for that.  Then, incrementally move to the 8 minute mark, maybe in 15sec or 30sec increments.  Always something to shoot for, but not unreachable.  The last thing you want to to is leave the 8min goal up there and see repeated misses even though your time improves.

- Brian -

Run, never.  Die, often.  Exlpore, ALWAYS!

The fact that you were able to run a mile without stopping in 10 minutes is a hell of a start.  You should give yourself credit for that.  Then, incrementally move to the 8 minute mark, maybe in 15sec or 30sec increments.  Always something to shoot for, but not unreachable.  The last thing you want to to is leave the 8min goal up there and see repeated misses even though your time improves.

That's my plan. I want to decrease the time by 15-30 seconds and reach that (new) goal 2 or 3 days in a row (or days in which I run).

That's my plan. I want to decrease the time by 15-30 seconds and reach that (new) goal 2 or 3 days in a row (or days in which I run).

I'm not part of the academy, but you could try things like ankle weights to run with, you'll have slower times, but you'll give your legs a hell of a workout, and then when you take them off, you'll be faster. But 10 mins is no small feat, you should know that!

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler