• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guzzi

Ladies who shave, advice please

Because I'm hairy as f*ck I've never been one for shaving my legs, opting to have them waxed instead, but because of my health that hasn't been an option for me the last couple of years so I've started shaving them.  Now I've gotten over the stubble rash bit and generally my legs look ok but there is one area that I really don't know what to do about - the bikini line.

shocked+granny.jpg

I'm not talking about what's hidden by your pants (panties?) but the superfluous stuff that can't decide if it's leg hair or pubes.   Y'know, the stuff that grows out the side of your knickers and, in my case, down my thighs.  Yuck!  

Whenever I try to shave the area around the bikini line I just end up with stubble rash and I really don't want to go on holiday wearing a bikini and for my bikini line to look like an adolescent boys top lip.  What do you ladies do, and what would you advise - do I keep shaving and hope that it will calm down, do I ditch the razor and just trim it very short (which is what I normally do but I was looking for a "tidier" look), is there some magic cream that will save the day?

como-eliminar-el-herpes-labial1.jpg

It's my poor mobility that's the limiting factor.  I can't get out to have it done and I'm not sure that I'm up to doing it myself at home.  If necessary I could buy wax strips and wax the area but I'd love to know if shaving could be a viable option.  It would be so much easier and convenient, I've just never shaved there often enough to know if the stubble rash thing will sort itself out or not.

I used to shave and it wax. Then I bought an epilator and got used to the idea it was going to hurt ... and it's so much better. It's already paid for itself over my occasional waxing, it lasts longer than shaving and I can do it in my own home/privacy. Any redness is gone overnight (I do it in the evening generally)

Thanks @Kita, I tried using an epilator years ago and gave up on it but that was because I was trying to do my legs with it, and I'm far to hairy, it took forever! :D  I hadn't thought of trying it for the bikini line, something to bear in mind.  I actually use a bikini trimmer to keep everything short "down there" but you can't get a really close shave with it and I'd like something a bit neater for the bits that will be visible when I'm in a bikini. ;) 

I did find when starting its important to trim to around 5mm then epilate, and that over time there is definitely less hair. (I'm kinda hairy au naturel too)

• Like 1

1. Use a very sharp razor; one of the expensive, multi-blade ones with gel strips.
  2. Use a lubricating shaving gel, preferably one that is advertised for rough beards. Aloe is a bonus.
  3. Don't shave every day.
  4. Shave at least a day before beach time - it'll give any irritation time to calm down.
  5. After shaving, rinse thoroughly and moisturize. Again, aloe vera is a bonus.

That's all I've got. I hope at least some of it helps!

• Like 3

I have that problem with my bikini line and pits. I find exfolitating after shaving helps. I just use baking soda (sodium bicarbonate,  don't remember if its called something different over there) or sugar. Sometimes I rub in witchhazel afterwards if its really irritated.

I just leave that area untrimmed, and wear swim shorts with a little more coverage in the booty and thigh area.  I tried going trimmed down there once and boy did it itch. 

If I had money to burn, maybe I'd get lasered, but that's not happening this season.

(Definitely interested in alternatives though; my mom has a lot less fur naturally and she never taught me much about how to deal with it.  Legs I figured out on my own; personal bits, not so much.)

• Like 1

I use an epilator on my legs, and I'm working my way up to using it on the more sensitive areas I want hair-free.  Until I manage to pull that off, I keep things in line with an electric razor.  I did get it waxed once, which was nice, except for the part where it was almost a week before everything stopped being red. :/  

I am also super hairy, and I used to shave, until I decided I was done dealing with around a week of insanely itchy legs (like, wouldn't stop until I'd scratched them raw.  Didn't matter what I did before or after shaving, how fancy a razor I used, or if I used soap, conditioner, shave gel, or nothing.  I tried every combination and the result was always the same.) for less than one day of smooth.  Tried Nair, but I had a bad reaction to it.  Went to electric razors, because they generally didn't cause the itchy, but I never could find one that really got my legs smooth, so I tried the epilator.  I've been pretty happy with it.

• Like 1

On 16/06/2017 at 4:40 PM, Raincloak said:

I just leave that area untrimmed, and wear swim shorts with a little more coverage in the booty and thigh area.

I am actually thinking about this for normal swimming.  I didn't even know you could get "shorty" swimsuits until recently but I think it's a great idea, much more comfortable!  I'll still go bikini for the holiday though. ;) 

This might be super obvious and maybe you have already tried, but for me everything changed when I started to shave with growth direction. No rash and nothing anymore. Before I would get soooo much irritation and pimples, now nothing. To properly shave, a very sharp blade is important + don't go over the skin more than  necessary. Every stroke irritates it, especially with a dull blade. You wanna aim for going over it once, with growth direction. If you don't get everything, rather repeat the next day. Then do it often enough to keep it short, but not often enough to irritate the skin.

• Like 1

Something that helped me personally with pimples and stuff:

Exfoliate first. I've got a salt scrub that I had somewhere but a homemade salt scrub would work well.

(Some people recommend using baby oil next. I usually end up with more zits when I do that because I'm naturally kinda sweaty down there.)

Sharp razor (mens are actually really good because they're made for faces) and a really good shaving cream (I use the EOS brand)

blotting rubbing alcohol to close pores and disinfect

deodorent in all the little creases (unscented is best) to help avoid chafing (I actually use baby powder instead if I'm concerned about chafing)

• Like 1

I am a dude, but I had this issue with shaving my beard and neckline. Same concept though. These are things I did and it helped remove my problems.

1. Echoing the sharp razor.

2. Wash thoroughly. Dirt will clog the razor super quick. This does a few things: removes dead skin, softens the hair, etc.

3. WET the area. Seriously, saturate the hair

4. Shaving Creams are okay -- I use a shave butter -- Use a thin layer and let it sit for a few seconds, let the hairs get loose.

5. Short strokes. LIGHT touch, do not just push the blade into your skin as you shave. Long strokes actually clog the blades of the razor and require you to go back over it again and irritate it more.

6. Keep the razor clean and the area to be shaved wet. Allowing it to dry is a huge reason for chafing and such. Keep it wet and apply shaving cream as needed.

Repeat 4 to 6 until hair is at desire length/removal.

7. When done, use cold water to rinse off excess cream and loss hairs this closes up the pores.

8. Pat dry -- Rubbing causes chaffing and could lead to bleeding in some cases as the skin is super sensitive and actually pretty thin at this point.

9. Lotion with something unscented and apply a deodorant stick to the area if need be to prevent chafing and such.

This area will still probably irritate if not use to shaving.

Here is a decent Youtube related to shaving faces, it mentioned preshave oil, this is actually not required but if you have it it wouldn't hurt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G__lySaTeNM

From the Art of Manliness, they talk about using a Safety Razor, but the info is still good: http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/01/04/how-to-shave-like-your-grandpa/

• Like 1

@noxiousGnome - Cheers dude!  Though I'm starting to think that shaving isn't going to be the solution for me...  

I thought it would be a quick and easy - couple of strokes - kinda thing but it probably needs a little more attention than I can be bothered with.  I'm thinking of buying an epilator and just keeping on top of it when ever the hair starts to grow back in.  I'm seriously lazy! :D 

I get irritated super easily but I've found a creme rich in panthenol - you can find it usually marked as sunburn relief, applied generously right after I shave anywhere and then once more during the day, it calms things down significantly. Also, mom uses a zinc oxide cream for irritated of inflamed skin she gets from work , and a coat of that helps on really bad days. 

I don't get irritated easily but one of my friends who does says everything changed for her when she started using a single blade. I think she subscribed to that razor service? Cheaper than waxing and less irritation because it was one blade vs 395783838, and she was guaranteed for it to be sharp since the replacements came to her. Not sure if you're still exploring shaving options but that might be useful.

I've heard Nair is great but I've never used it personally.

1 hour ago, Cataleya said:

I've heard Nair is great but I've never used it personally.

I have, and I do NOT recommend Nair in the bikini area, not if the skin is easily irritated by shaving.

I don't know what kind of chemicals they put in that cream, but in hindsight it kind of makes sense that a chemical mix that dissolves hair might possible be hard on the skin. I had to stop wearing clothing in the general bikini area for 24 hours until it healed. Yes, all kinds of clothing, not just the close fitting underwear kind. Thank heavens it was weekend and I didn't have to call in sick to work!

I have since gone back to shaving. I've learned from my mistake.

Nair is great on less sensitive skin though. I used to use it on my legs a lot.

Edited by scalyfreak
Clarification. Nair is not bad, it's just not for sensitive skin.
  • Like 2

I have, and I do NOT recommend Nair in the bikini area, not if the skin is easily irritated by shaving.

I don't know what kind of chemicals they put in that cream, but in hindsight it kind of makes sense that a chemical mix that dissolves hair might possible be hard on the skin. I had to stop wearing clothing in the general bikini area for 24 hours until it healed. Yes, all kinds of clothing, not just the close fitting underwear kind. Thank heavens it was weekend and I didn't have to call in sick to work!

I have since gone back to shaving. I've learned from my mistake.

Nair is great on less sensitive skin though. I used to use it on my legs a lot.
Oh definitely good to know! Totally makes sense and I'll keep that in mind if anyone else brings it up.

Beard trimmer. Technically not actually shaving.  Doesn't tick off the pores. Takes 2 min once a week.

Why? I ride a bike everyday. The panty line/jeans/razor bump combination is a complete non starter. (I'm also a lazy bum and only shave to the knee for similar reasons.)

• Like 1