Hey rebels, long time no talk.

My name's Justin. I was on the Facebook men's group for a while but ditched Facebook at the beginning of the year indefinitely. Freedom never felt so good ;)

Anyways...on topic. I've been doing Stronglifts more or less on the proper schedule for...3 months plus now? Here's the numbers so far...

Squat 205@5x5

Deadlift 235@1x5

Bench 130@5x5

OHP 105@5x5

Row 130@5x5

My last squat attempt, I made it to the 4th set at 210 and chickened out.

Deadlifts are still going strong.

Bench feels like it is starting to top out, but no failures yet.

OHP I've failed 3 times now, but not in a row. I started failing quite early...85lbs I think.

The row is also going strong still. I feel very under-stressed on this lift.

The SL bible says that I'm supposed to have 3 de-loads before essentially changing up the rep scheme for a given movement. But that requires 3 failures in a row for a single de-load. I haven't really found any other literature that supports that much failure before changing things up. On top of that, I'm not sure I have the patience. On squats, I'm having to wait 3-5 minutes between each and every set to get them done and it is stretching the length of the workouts beyond what my schedule can manage. Back when each lift was hyper-easy, I could get the whole thing done including warm-up and cool-down in 40 minutes or less.

I've had my wife, who is a certified trainer and CF coach put my form for various lifts under a microscope to make sure there wasn't something obvious holding me back...nothing really to report there.

My primary intention was to build a foundation of strength and then begin a more varied routine to help me lean out more and increase intensity/explosiveness (vs just strength or endurance).

So the big question...what should I explore from here on? Should I adopt a SS 3x5 scheme? What kinds of thresholds should I be looking for with each of these lifts? Any help or guidance would be useful.

Many thanks!

Hey JP!

Good work and good for you to seek ways to be better!  There are thousands upon thousands of programs out there, some are brilliant, some, well, not so much. My advice is to ensure your sleep is in check, that your nutrition is dialed in, that your recovery is on point, and that your desire to train is strong. 

If if all the above is spot on, then seek out some one you trust to evaluate areas in your training that need improvement. Just looking at your program, i don't see much in the way of single limb work, DB work, explosive strength/ power work, strength-speed work, or higher rep/endurance work. For me, i need to be varied in my training. Meaning coverage of all the rep ranges (1-2, 3-5, 4-6, 6-8, 8-12, 15+). Looks like you've done 3+ months of work in only the 5 rep range.  It's probably time for a change.

Study the works of the greats (Charles Poliquin, Louie Simmons, Mel Siff, Tudor Bompa, A.S. Prilipin, Yuri Verkoshansky, Brooks Kubic, Christian Thibedeaux, etc). Heck, there's enough programs by those guys to fill your training logs for the rest of your life. Read the works of those that these guys learned from. Determine your weaknesses and CRUSH them!

And for crying out loud, get some direct hamstring, lower back, and abdominal work in!  Get those muscle groups strong NOW. They are the foundation of strength and will protect you. Learn how to brace. Learn how to use intra-abdominal air support.  Learn to fire your glutes on EVERY rep you take. Train outside some.  Pick up stuff and carry it long distances. Sprint. Throw stuff. Move! 

Best of luck in your quest!  If i can help in any way, just say the word. 

• Like 1
On 6/16/2017 at 4:52 PM, JusticioProfundo said:

So the big question...what should I explore from here on? Should I adopt a SS 3x5 scheme? What kinds of thresholds should I be looking for with each of these lifts? Any help or guidance would be useful.

My immediate thought is instead of playing with reps, just eat more.  You are probably at a point where your previous reserves are gone, and now your body just can't recover like it could in the first three months with that extra energy.  Up your caloric intake by 200-300 calories for a couple weeks and see if that helps.

Also, I'm tagging @Flex Luthor because he knows his shit and might be able to help.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

On 6/16/2017 at 1:52 PM, JusticioProfundo said:

The SL bible says that I'm supposed to have 3 de-loads before essentially changing up the rep scheme for a given movement. But that requires 3 failures in a row for a single de-load. I haven't really found any other literature that supports that much failure before changing things up.

You've honed in on the one weakness of the SL program. Most folks don't need the volume that a 5x5 scheme generates for strength development; it's really more of a solution to increase the practice you're getting with the movements. But by the time you're squatting 200, that practice is not necessary, and it's not the most efficient way to develop strength.

You also mentioned SL's deload system, which IMO is written in a dogmatic, overly conservative way. Most trainees are more likely to burn themselves out at your stage of Stronglifts than they are likely to train too little. Deloading is just a method to let your body catch up from the stresses you've accumulated. It can be as simple as cutting your weights to 50% for a week, then going back to it full-bore. And you can deload for as simple a reason as that you're feeling run-down and you're not recovering adequately between workouts.

I would agree that switching most or all of your movements to 3x5 is a good idea. If you're feeling especially run-down, a short deload is a good thing to consider.

I don't think your program needs to be messed with further than that.

Cowardly Assassin
Training Log | Challenges: Current8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st