The No Shampoo Shampoo

I've done conditioner only washes before, but I don't tend to rely on them. I usually do conditioner, shampoo, then conditioner again, and I wash about every 3 days. Or, well, that's what I used to do. Now that I'm exercising I wash on workout days. Which is currently Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. I need to get a bottle of Suave or V05 conditioner for freshening up on the weekend, and for a milder wash on Thursday. I find that I get best results with a conditioner only wash when I use Suave Naturals or V05 or something else without silicones in the ingredients. I love silicone in the second condition of a normal wash with shampoo, but I find it weighs my hair down if that's what I'm using to wash with.

As to what to do when you're showering and not washing your hair that day, I just tie my hair up in a bun and keep my head mostly out of the water. It gets a little wet, but not that wet, and I just let it air dry when I get out. No big deal.

I have a question for those who go multiple days without washing their hair: Do you put it on a shower cap when you shower on non-wash days, or do you get it wet and just not put things in it? I assume you shower more often than you wash your hair, body showers and such.

It depends on whether I've straightened my hair or not. If it's straight, it goes into a shower cap. If it's my normal curly, it can just get clipped up.

I'm another no 'poo-er (and I wish they would call it something else). I rotate between diluted Dr Bronner's and baking soda to wash the hair and diluted apple cider vinegar to "condition". I used to have to wash my fine, thin hair every day or else it was disgustingly greasy, but it turns out that is a direct result of shampoo. Once I stopped using it, I can go 4 days between washes. Water only rinses get rid of sweat. Otherwise I just put on a shower cap if I don't have to rinse it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]The Horror Geek Half Dwarf Adventurer!

My Challenge Thread is here.

I have zombies to outrun! Failure is not an option!

Sometimes I'll do a water-only rinse if I've been sweating a lot, though I haven't been doing that as often since I moved to ND, since the water here is a lot harder than where I'm from. Most of the time I just flip my braid up on top of my head and clip it there. If my hair gets damp while I'm showering, no big deal, it dries quick enough. If I really don't want it wet at all for one reason or another I'll use a shower cap.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that leads to total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -Frank Herbert, Dune

I have a question for those who go multiple days without washing their hair: Do you put it on a shower cap when you shower on non-wash days, or do you get it wet and just not put things in it? I assume you shower more often than you wash your hair, body showers and such.

Yup, I shower or rinse off just about everyday. Throw the hair up in a ponytail. Part of it gets wet.

But I have curly hair, so when it's wet it comes off as curly and cute ;)

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

i've not used any products on my hair since about january, and i work in a workshop, it feels a little greasy if i skip a day but nothing too bad, sometimes after work i'll just get it wet with hot water then dry my hair to get rid of the worst then shower properly at home (if i can be bothered, on a 2pm-10pm sometimes i just can't) and if i don't i'll shower after the gym the next day, as a side not i've not used any type of shower gel on my body and that's fine too, as i said gets a bit greasy after a day or 2 (what with work and gym) but it soon scrubs off both with a towel and them things that look like what oranges get kept in...

no complaints, i've even asked some people (close friends and family, not my parents tho, they haven't got the slightest clue) to smell my and feel my hair, and all that got mentioned was my hair being a touch greasy (i'd only had a very quick shower that day)

Whoa. This thread is interesting. I'm going to give the conditioner only thing a try.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

I use Hugo Naturals (which feels like no 'poo, at first it was greasy, then it felt great) but am trying to move on to baking soda and apple cider vinegar. I hear the end result is the same, but the price is different and I am having trouble moving away from the "bottle makes me beautiful" mentality...

Never tried only conditioner until this week, though. It's been greasier than not washing at all: How long does it usually take to adjust?

I use Hugo Naturals (which feels like no 'poo, at first it was greasy, then it felt great) but am trying to move on to baking soda and apple cider vinegar. I hear the end result is the same, but the price is different and I am having trouble moving away from the "bottle makes me beautiful" mentality...

Never tried only conditioner until this week, though. It's been greasier than not washing at all: How long does it usually take to adjust?

It depends some on the conditioner you're using. For me right from the first time doing it I got out of the shower and my hair was completely clean. I have always loved Dove brand shampoo and conditioner but I've found that the conditioner alone left my hair greasy within 24 hours. Right now I'm trying Tresemme that's for heat protection and I'm finding I can barely go 24-36 hours without feeling the need to "wash" again. I'm still biased towards Pantene so far in my 8 month journey.

Years ago I tried the baking soda and apple cider vinegar washes but what I found was that even though they say that when your hair dries you can't smell the ACV, that as soon as I sweat or got caught in a little rain, the moisture resurrected the ACV smell and I felt like I stunk and was worried I smelled enough that other people could smell it too. That's just my experience and I know a lot of people swear by it. It's all trial and error for each person for what works for them.

“Women are like teabags. You never know how strong they are till they get in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

MyFitnessPal Diary

Well, looks like I'm just a Human

STR 1; DEX 2; STA 1; CON 2; WIS 4; CHA 5

Bumblebee's Quest to Play!

OMG - this thread is going to save me tons of money! I've always been blessed with great hair - very fine but lots of it. I used to wash it every day because it would get so greasy, but that worked better in the 80's and early 90's when it was permed. I finally gave up perming and let my hair grow long and straight, but it's so fine that it never laid flat. It used to get all frizzy or flyaway or tangled - until I started washing it only every other day. For a few years now, I've been washing and velcro-rolling it on Mon, Wed, and Fri mornings for work. Then not washing, but flat-ironing on Tues and Thurs. But I've been using Moroccan oil on most days - very expensive but smells great and doesn't weigh the hair down if you use only a small amount.

I've had envy-worthy hair, but I'm going to try the conditioner-only wash and see if that eliminates or greatly reduces my reliance on the Moroccan oil! Thanks :-)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Level 3: Outcast, Tweets, Pinterest, "Nerd? We prefer the term Intellectual Badass"

I don't remember much of an adjustment period. Make sure you rub it into your scalp really well, and let it sit for a couple of minutes before rinsing well so the surfactants have a chance to work. I usually do it twice and then follow up with a "real" conditioner.

I sometimes use the Tresemme Naturals, but it also doesn't get my hair as clean as V05 (best) or Suave Naturals.

I tried the VO5 and had terrible tangles. I always comb through my hair while the conditioner sits in it but with the VO5 I had trouble recombing after I got out of the shower. I had really really hoped the VO5 would work since it's so much cheaper. Maybe I'll try it again. Still have half a bottle under my sink. :smug:

“Women are like teabags. You never know how strong they are till they get in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

MyFitnessPal Diary

Yeah, it probably depends on hair type. :) I have curly hair but the shaft is pretty smooth-textured (other than a few FRIED FRIED inches at the ends that used to be bleached white). You could try brushing your hair before getting into the shower. Also, I use a LOT of the conditioner - maybe 1/4 of the bottle at a time.

When not shampooing my hair I will either rinse it if I'm sweaty (I have crazy acid/salt sweat that starts eating away at my scalp if I don't wash it out) or just put it in a ponytail and shower while not washing the hair. The ends might get a bit wet but I just brush it out after.

Try another conditioner! The cheaper, the better for washing (and the worse for conditioning...) usually goes. :) For my fine hair only the cheapiest of the cheap (with no silicones of course!) work good enough. All others are just to hard to rinse out for my hair and scalp to stay happy.

Current challenge | Fitocracy | UnTamedTresses

Elf Ranger Level 10STR - 14.75 | DEX - 16.00 | STA - 26.75 | CON - 26.75 | WIS - 27.25 | CHA - 22.00

Try another conditioner! The cheaper, the better for washing (and the worse for conditioning...) usually goes. :) For my fine hair only the cheapiest of the cheap (with no silicones of course!) work good enough. All others are just to hard to rinse out for my hair and scalp to stay happy.

Yeah, exactly... I have to use a "real" conditioner after washing because my hair gets too clean from the cheap ones I wash with. :D

Ok, sweet wonderful ladies...I have a few questions for you. I started out life with fine and straight hair and after having babies, it became tons and tons of hair and wavy and even parts are curly. the top was straight and this last time I got it cut, the top turned curly too, so I decided that I wanted to wear my hair curly and that is when I started to see that some folks don't use shampoo. I used paula's choice shampoo and conditioner and tresemme curl gel and some biosilk added in to stop the frizzes...I only wash about 2 times a week.

I want to switch over but I also want to know how to style curly/wavy hair to look good and not be frizzy if using this conditioner only technique. Could someone tell me (who has shoulder length curly/wavy hair and wears it curly/wavy) what they do? what do you use? how do you dry it? do you use styling products? what hair spray etc? THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

The Conditioner Only is typically only beneficial for curly hair. Those with fine/thin hair will likely end up greasier for it. I know I did.

I have straight hair and it's what I would consider medium texture. It's not baby fine or coarse but pretty straight. I only end up greasier with particular conditioners. It's trial and error I think.

MyFitnessPal Diary

Ok, sweet wonderful ladies...I have a few questions for you. I started out life with fine and straight hair and after having babies, it became tons and tons of hair and wavy and even parts are curly. the top was straight and this last time I got it cut, the top turned curly too, so I decided that I wanted to wear my hair curly and that is when I started to see that some folks don't use shampoo. I used paula's choice shampoo and conditioner and tresemme curl gel and some biosilk added in to stop the frizzes...I only wash about 2 times a week.

I want to switch over but I also want to know how to style curly/wavy hair to look good and not be frizzy if using this conditioner only technique. Could someone tell me (who has shoulder length curly/wavy hair and wears it curly/wavy) what they do? what do you use? how do you dry it? do you use styling products? what hair spray etc? THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!!

I can't share my experience since I only have a slight wave in my hair, but I'd recommend http://www.naturallycurly.com, especially the forum, and googling "curly girl method". Other suggestions that seems to work for many curlies is to only comb the hair in the shower, when drenched in conditioner, using a gel for styling, plopping (google!), never ever touch the hair while drying but afterwards scrunching the curls to soften the gel, and sleep on a silk pilllowcase/use a bonnet. :D

The Conditioner Only is typically only beneficial for curly hair. Those with fine/thin hair will likely end up greasier for it. I know I did.

I agree with bumblebee that it is trial and error. I have fine hair and ditching the shampoo was the best thing I ever did to it. Yes, I need a very light conditioner for conditioner only washes to work, but they certainly do it! Sorry that it didn't work out for you. But for some it might just not work at all, we are all different.

Current challenge | Fitocracy | UnTamedTresses

Elf Ranger Level 10STR - 14.75 | DEX - 16.00 | STA - 26.75 | CON - 26.75 | WIS - 27.25 | CHA - 22.00

I always wear my hair curly. Wash it every couple of days, shampoo my scalp, and then condition it and comb out tangles in the shower. I've been using products for ethnic hair recently. It's the only thing I've found that doesn't make my hair crunchy or leave it feeling greasy. As for drying it, I use a towel to soak up water, then put in product and let it air dry. Hair spray is only for when I pull it back.

I did do no 'poo for awhile, but had to stop due to unrelated scalp and skin issues. Went from medicated shampoo to Head & Shoulders regularly. I started growing out my hair last year, though, and it always gets frizzy at the bottom and I lose a ton of it, so I think I might try going back to no 'poo.

Human Ranger

My Current Challenge

So I've been doing the conditioner only thing this week and so far... AWESOME! Today my hair was at the slightly tacky/more greasy than usual post-shower stage which is PERFECT for putting up, so I have pin curls in today! I LOVE sculptable hair andso far everything is going awesome. My hair type is super-straight, very thick, but not very coarse.