• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

RonRoen

Gout and Fitness

Recommended Posts

Summary:

I just need all kinds of advice from fellow rebels in regards to having gout and how you manage/handle it in conjunction with getting fit.

I want to compile real life experiences and advice in regards to this topic because...nothing beats wisdom from experiences.

-------------------------------------------

 

So, I got gout, And weak ankles ("Due to old, unresolved injuries. It is very prone to inflammation and with the gout affecting the same ankle most of the time, it became very weak" - My Doctor).

 

Doctor told me to avoid high impact leg exercises (like jumping jacks or "too much" running/jogging). Will wearing ankle braces during specified exercises help? I heard it makes the ankle rely on them too much, that it eventually makes it weaker, and yet, I might not be able to do specified exercises without it.

Should I really avoid them(running, jumping) - am I "crippled"?

 

The Internet. is very confusing. I have researched (bought a book from the hospital and also googled)...there are tons of conflicting information..."You can't eat this, You can eat this" "This is good. This is bad". I even went to see a nutritionist and all I got was "Slim down. *hands over a list of food to avoid* - which by the way has conflicting information yet again. For now, I am sticking to that list - I paid for that after all...

 

So, nutrition-wise,

what do you do for protein (because I was told too much is no-no for gout, is the daily for muscle building - "too much"?) - No nuts, tofu,beef,(moderate chicken), avoid dairy...sigh...seafood has high purine conent- so its a no-no too

fiber? No green veggies, yes, green veggies...so am I allowed green veggies or not? or should I just nibble on carrots for the rest of my life? what about purple veggies?

 

These are basically my questions I have for now...but I am also looking forward to more advises and experience, even if it doesn't relate to the questions.

I want to compile real life experiences and advice in regards to this topic because...nothing beats wisdom from experiences.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't have gout myself, but your questions got me curious.

 

When the internet's unclear, I gravitate toward sources that tend to be of high quality: for example, this article from the Mayo Clinic on gout and diet.

 

Most articles seem to agree that losing weight and exercise seem to decrease the severity of gout over time, though they don't recommend weight training like most folks on this site are into. Were I in your shoes, I'd start considering low-impact aerobics, like swimming or cycling. And I'd start looking for a doctor or physiotherapist who can give more specific help on how to work around your ankle.

 

Exercising with braces isn't ideal, but it's not bad either and plenty of folks do it. It's certainly better than no braces and no exercise.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2017 at 5:55 AM, PaulG said:

Don't have gout myself, but your questions got me curious.

 

When the internet's unclear, I gravitate toward sources that tend to be of high quality: for example, this article from the Mayo Clinic on gout and diet.

 

Most articles seem to agree that losing weight and exercise seem to decrease the severity of gout over time, though they don't recommend weight training like most folks on this site are into. Were I in your shoes, I'd start considering low-impact aerobics, like swimming or cycling. And I'd start looking for a doctor or physiotherapist who can give more specific help on how to work around your ankle.

 

Exercising with braces isn't ideal, but it's not bad either and plenty of folks do it. It's certainly better than no braces and no exercise.

 

Thanks for the reply!

 

Yeah, I am looking into swimming...I am not a good swimmer, I tried...I float...but somehow couldn't move forward. Well, theres my new goal to work towards: to learn how to swim. It is embarassing...a boy in his 20s and can't swim. Must be all those years of "adolescent stripping-avoiding low self-esteem boy"-years piling up...lol

...and theres another goal to work for: to be confident.

 

I will try to find a physiotherapist. But really, what would they do? If it is just another paper on "go diet and "go exercise" bill..I really wouldnt want to spend money there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following.

 

Had someone improve body composition significantly by taking in bodyweight in protein and lots of vegetables, but doctor suggested gout and wants to cut protein to 3/4. I figured this would be a good opportunity to move to maintenance/slight surplus and work on developing strength.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2017 at 11:28 PM, Machete said:

Following.

 

Had someone improve body composition significantly by taking in bodyweight in protein and lots of vegetables, but doctor suggested gout and wants to cut protein to 3/4. I figured this would be a good opportunity to move to maintenance/slight surplus and work on developing strength.

 

I am sorry I am kinda lost there. So...you/someone wanted to increase protein intake and vegetables but doctor said no/cutback on protein because the person has gout and therefore, now takes on a maintenance phase of developing strength? I really would love to learn more on this hehe. So I could learn train better.

 

And also, on the protein. Yes, I have done some googling and being the internet...

Some say protein shakes causes gout flares and some say protein shakes are OK. Too much meat and chicken causes purine build up. The suggested amount was 4-5oz of lean chicken breast(after consolidating the sources I googled), that is around 35g ~40g of protein a day. Is that enough? A serving of whey protein on its own is already 25g of protein. I am guessing just 40g wouldn't be enough right? No nuts(because they are bad for gout) to replace protein intake as well. So what do a guy has to do for protein intake on a gout diet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RonRoen said:

I am sorry I am kinda lost there. So...you/someone wanted to increase protein intake and vegetables but doctor said no/cutback on protein because the person has gout and therefore, now takes on a maintenance phase of developing strength? I really would love to learn more on this hehe. So I could learn train better.

 

And also, on the protein. Yes, I have done some googling and being the internet...

Some say protein shakes causes gout flares and some say protein shakes are OK. Too much meat and chicken causes purine build up. The suggested amount was 4-5oz of lean chicken breast(after consolidating the sources I googled), that is around 35g ~40g of protein a day. Is that enough? A serving of whey protein on its own is already 25g of protein. I am guessing just 40g wouldn't be enough right? No nuts(because they are bad for gout) to replace protein intake as well. So what do a guy has to do for protein intake on a gout diet.

 

Good questions. I would research sources of protein that do not carry high levels of purine.

 

It seems (from my extremely non-medical observation) that the effect of protein is often conflated with high purine by some doctors. Sounds like mostly by GPs who don't specialize in gout, which is not unexpected: GPs rarely have much specialized knowledge about chronic conditions other than the most common ones they see, and the GP who actually researches a regular patient's condition to better help with esoteric questions is a rare find.

 

Cursory research shows that protein sources exist (such as legumes) that don't carry much purine with them. If I had gout, I would skew my diet toward those sources.

 

Looking into whether whey or casein protein powders have high purine would be a good idea, as they're an easy and very cheap way to bump your protein intake. If you can handle protein powder, meat will be a lot less essential to your diet.

 

No one seems to know exactly how exercise improves gout outcomes, but the medical community seems to agree that it does. Going out on a limb, it might follow that exercise may enable a person to tolerate higher levels of protein.

 

And there is, of course, also the fact that no one has ever come to consensus on how much protein you really need when you're exercising. A couple studies seem to show up to 0.8-1g per LBM per day has positive effects for otherwise average, active people. But no one knows how far you can go below that and still get most of those positive effects.

 

Basically, weightlifting or exercising people with gout seem to be a medical unknown. Sounds like Machete's client's doctor is therefore recommending a cautious course of action, which is smart advice to give.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RonRoen said:

So, in my attempt to understand gout and its affect on fitness life. I went to see a nutritionist and physiotherapist, on top of the internist I went to.

 

Nutritionist:

Gave me a list of food on what not to eat, which was kind-of-a lazy printout of a list I found easily while googling. I studied that list and dug deeper into the internet. And being the internet, information was conflicted. I will study this more and create a gout-friendly diet.

I wonder is that all a nutritionist should have done. Aren't they supposed to help you create a diet plan or something?

 

Physiotherapist:

Was of no help. Partly my fault because I did not know that I had to be in pain for the doctor to even listen to me. I came in, she said "I see no redness or swelling, I cannot help you. What are you here for?" So I started to tell her my gout history. I had a few questions I wanted to ask (a few from the Gout and Fitness thread I started here.), but before I could even get to that she cut me off saying the same thing about me not being in pain and she could not do anything. I was annoyed (I have kind of an explosive temper), and told her then cant you at least hear me out and refer me to someone who could or a treatment plan or anything. And when she opened her mouth, her words were "look I really cannot help you unless you are experiencing pain." I just stood up, told her sorry for wasting her time and left. To me she sounded like she has no experience in the gout field and/or too lazy to help out this misinformed patient.

 

Well, that was annoying. I wasted her time, i wasted my time and money. I could have googled all that shit or bought a book on it - which I did. Recipe Book and whatnot.

Guess maybe it is because I am living in a third-world country (Indonesia) where the doctors are not educated enough or just plain lazy as shit. (I have friends studying as doctors here - I hope they don't get to see this).

 

Action Plan:

Study the books - understand more

Create a gout diet plan - because nutritionist was of no help.

 

From my challenge thread.

 

Am I in the right to be annoyed or was I totally misinformed on how these specialists should have work? I don't know, but that was annoying as shit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2017 at 10:03 AM, RonRoen said:

 

I am sorry I am kinda lost there. So...you/someone wanted to increase protein intake and vegetables but doctor said no/cutback on protein because the person has gout and therefore, now takes on a maintenance phase of developing strength? I really would love to learn more on this hehe. So I could learn train better.

 

We were on 1g / pound of bodyweight, and the doc recommended around 75% of that on training days, which is still a good amount. I tend to lower protein consumption on a surplus anyway. We'd been on a deficit for quite a long time and probably stalled-out, but have never been in a real strength phase, so this seems like the perfect time. A second doctor thinks it's the copious spinach consumption that led to the flare-up.

 

We're looking into experimenting with a Ketogenic Diet for a while as well, and see how that plays out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Machete said:

 

We were on 1g / pound of bodyweight, and the doc recommended around 75% of that on training days, which is still a good amount. I tend to lower protein consumption on a surplus anyway. We'd been on a deficit for quite a long time and probably stalled-out, but have never been in a real strength phase, so this seems like the perfect time. A second doctor thinks it's the copious spinach consumption that led to the flare-up.

 

We're looking into experimenting with a Ketogenic Diet for a while as well, and see how that plays out.

 

Yep, spinach is a major culprit to gout attacks. I told my doctor that as a kid I tend to only eat spinach (I hated other veggies) for my vegetable consumption, and also during my university years, out of habit and simpleness, I mostly eat spinach for my vegetable (where I would prepare them for 5 days out of the week) - and he said maybe that was why I developed such a high uric acid level. And also I hated organ meats, too poor to make beef and nuts a staple diet (in our country, most beef meat and nuts are imported - hence the high price).

 

So the doctor and I couldn't see any other possibilities (nutrition wise) that caused the high uric acid level. I don't think it hereditary either as no one in my family is complaining about gout.

 

Popeye must be hurting man...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In response to your leg issues-

 

I'm not sure if you have issues with your Achilles Tendons/ankles like I do. I injured my ankles several years ago and for a long time even regular walking would cause swelling, pain, and ultimately the joint would freeze. Months of rest would remove the pain and help me regain some mobility, but the a long walk at a Target would drop me back in the same boat. I wore braces for every time I'd be standing or walking for more that about 45 minutes until this year.

 

I discovered the Alfredson Protocol, which isn't fun to do but has helped substantially. I walked brace-free at Disney World this year, and carried my toddlers half the time. I'm 2/3 of the way through, and while I'm not at 100% (tons of standing while painting Saturday led to some stiffness and pain) I have had massive improvement. Normally, after Disney World or even my Saturday remodeling I'd be crippled for 6-8 weeks.

 

In case it helps, here's a link to a PDF that describes the protocol. If it applies and you give it a try, let me know how it goes! If it's irrelevant, my apologies for misunderstanding.

 

http://www.wsm.ca/files/www/Athletes_Edge/AE_Achilles_handout.pdf

 

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
In response to your leg issues-
 
I'm not sure if you have issues with your Achilles Tendons/ankles like I do. I injured my ankles several years ago and for a long time even regular walking would cause swelling, pain, and ultimately the joint would freeze. Months of rest would remove the pain and help me regain some mobility, but the a long walk at a Target would drop me back in the same boat. I wore braces for every time I'd be standing or walking for more that about 45 minutes until this year.
 
I discovered the Alfredson Protocol, which isn't fun to do but has helped substantially. I walked brace-free at Disney World this year, and carried my toddlers half the time. I'm 2/3 of the way through, and while I'm not at 100% (tons of standing while painting Saturday led to some stiffness and pain) I have had massive improvement. Normally, after Disney World or even my Saturday remodeling I'd be crippled for 6-8 weeks.
 
In case it helps, here's a link to a PDF that describes the protocol. If it applies and you give it a try, let me know how it goes! If it's irrelevant, my apologies for misunderstanding.
 
http://www.wsm.ca/files/www/Athletes_Edge/AE_Achilles_handout.pdf
 
 
 
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Hello! Thank you for the suggestion! I am sorry it took so long to reply. I kind of strayed from the forums.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now