Hey everyone, I'm brand spankin' new. You can call me Aerith!

I'm super glad to meet everyone, and start improving myself. I've always been overweight, and the hardest part of wanting to better myself was learning to love who I was in the moment. Especially when you have depression and other mental health issues. But I'd say I've made leaps and bounds even in the face of problems like that. So I'm officially taking my future into my hands...after realizing that the 30 pizza rolls I had for breakfast are 1200 calories and being disgusted with myself. (they weren't even that good.)

I'm a college student, about to be a sophomore this fall, and while I love being at the gym and doing physical things nothing really quite stuck. So hopefully being a part of this community will really help turn things around for me! Being home for the summer is rough without a car, I really took the five minute walk to the gym at college for granted...

Anyway, I'm really interested in just about everything. I'd love to build muscle and work on strength training and I also want to get better at yoga, which is my main form of exercise here at home. I currently hate running but I'd love for that to change. I guess I just want to be well-rounded.

That's my lengthy introduction. Thanks for reading, and if anyone has any guild suggestions or other tips...I'd love to hear em!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LastCetra said:

Anyway, I'm really interested in just about everything. I'd love to build muscle and work on strength training and I also want to get better at yoga, which is my main form of exercise here at home. I currently hate running but I'd love for that to change. I guess I just want to be well-rounded.

You sound like a Ranger to me!  :D  We also seek to be well-rounded, and various members of our corps do weightlifting and bodyweight work, running, yoga, crossfit, obstacle course racing, shooting sports, swimming, rings ... you name it, Rangers do it! You should come and check us out!

But regarding you and your overall journey, welcome to the Rebellion - you sound like a perfect fit to join us! Many of us here are also working to overcome mental and emotional health challenges, so you will be in good and supportive company here as you continue to get healthy in that area of your life; many of us are college students and young professionals, so again, you'll have lots of friends also balancing academics with health and fitness; you already recognize that the food you fuel your body with is crucial to your overall health; you have goals you're working toward and ideas of how to achieve them - you are going to be a very successful Rebel and I'm so excited you're here. :)

One of the first things I was taught when I joined almost a year ago was to take my Really Big Goals (i.e. "look good," "be active," "eat well," etc.) and break them down into smaller Big Goals (i.e. "lose 50 pounds," "start running and lifting," and "eat real food"), then break those down into smaller Manageable Goals (i.e. "use a calorie tracking software to lose 5 pounds each month for the next 10 months," "purchase a gym membership and sign up for a yoga class," and "read 3 books about paleo diet and see what changes I can incorporate into this month's diet"). These are just examples of my goals, and yours will look different; but often we approach our challenges with Really Big Goals that are great, but too big to achieve in a month or two. Figuring out the steps along the path to achieving those goals will set you up for consistent, measurable success and help you start planning small changes to incorporate into your daily habits.

I wish you lots of success in your endeavors, and again, welcome to the Rebellion! I'm so excited to watch your progress!   :) 

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

Welcome to the Rebellion! The Druids do a lot of Yoga and meditation, and the Assassins are all about the bodyweight exercises (if you don't like running, maybe parkour would be a good substitute for you). Lurking in those threads will certainly give you lots of ideas.

"'It's time for a few small repairs,' she said." - Shawn Colvin

Hi, I'm newish too, and your fitness interests sound pretty similar to mine. I've actually been unsure where I belong class-wise, too - I did sign up as a ranger at first because of my varied interests, but yeah, yoga and Druids and my yoga is basically bodyweight exercise and acrobatic tricks, so...Assassins?  Recently I've had quite a bit of luck using power yoga as my strength training, and doing sprints/other short, intense interval stuff for cardio because I also hate running, so I think there are a lot of ways you could go, and I hope it doesn't take you as long to figure out a balance that works as it has for me :) 

• Like 1