Original post:

Spoiler

Title liable to change once I figure out what I'm actually doing. 

Not sure what my challenge will actually be yet but it's good to get started so here're some things I'm thinking about and some things I know are coming up this month: 

1. Channel my inner dog: take pleasure in existing. Do everything wholeheartedly; when doing something, let it have my full attention until it's time to move on. Take naps. Play. Enjoy the outdoors. Be enthusiastic. 
2. Write every day. I'll be participating in a fanworks exchange in my fandom this month anyway so I'll need to step it up in this arena. 
3. Do something active every day. Use your judgement as to whether or not it counts.
4. Create a life plan. The 4WC Planning Worksheet is a decent place to start, but there're lots of things to do in this vein. 
5. Minimize room. Can't work on this until I go home in two weeks but it's always good to shed extra junk. Minimalism is calling me. 
6. Finish TEFL. Program expires on 26/7 so I have exactly one month to finish it. Once done, I can start job searching for a job I actually want (yaaaay escape customer service!) 
7. Serve half of what you want to eat at every meal. If I'm desperately hungry, I can always go back for more, but I tend to always "finish my plate" so mindfully serving less might help. 

When I know what I'm doing I'll come up with scoring criteria. 

Challenge goals: 

1. Minimize room.

2. Stretch every morning. 

3. Exercise every day. 

4. Serve less food at mealtimes. 

Details: 

1. Let go of excess clothing, books, papers, miscellany, mementos, etc. Marie Kondo-style. Except she gives clients 6 months and I'm going to do it in four weeks (or five if I spill over a bit into zero week) because challenge timeframe. And because I still basically live like a college student with all my life possessions stored in a single room, so I don't have to do the whole house. 

2. Greet the morning with a full-body yoga session. I've gotten really stiff and lost a lot of my flexibility from lack of stretching lately, and I want it back. Although I pretty much stay hidden in my room first thing in the morning, regardless of how much mess I make with goal #1 I should still have space for a yoga mat in here. 

3. Two part goal, first part is do something active: swimming, walk 2 miles, do a day of Elements, do a dumbbell workout. If I come up with some other workout plan I like, I might consider adding it, but I think I already have so many options it's probably better to stick with what's here. Second part is just put pull up bar up in my doorway every day after Mom leaves the house (and take it down when she comes home). Usually having it up is enough to remind me to spend some time playing with it, but I can't keep it up 24/7 because the door doesn't close and my mom hates the sight of it. So just while she's not here! 

4. Try to down-adjust "normal" portion sizes by serving a bit less at every meal. If it wasn't enough, go back for more, but check in and make sure it REALLY wasn't enough first. Does not apply to salad. 

Title: 

It would be more accurate to say "Wobbegong Cleans It Up" because exercise habits, physical space, and diet habits are all getting tidied this challenge. However, "Makes a Mess" sounds like more fun, and at the very least step 1 will result in a mess (temporarily). 

• Like 10

Wooo here for this. 

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

2 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

Sounds great!  Good luck!  (I could do with #7 as well)

Idk "not going back for seconds at dinner" was a challenge I gave myself two 4WCs ago and it turned out to work really really well but dinner is really my only "I go back even when I'm full" issue. All my other meals are just "I eat too much in the first place." And now that I'm not doubling down on dinner I find myself overfilling my plate in advance... 

So maybe #7 would work really well? Idk still thinking about it. I might try it out this week and see how it goes. 

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

1. Channel my inner dog: take pleasure in existing. Do everything wholeheartedly; when doing something, let it have my full attention until it's time to move on. Take naps. Play. Enjoy the outdoors. Be enthusiastic. 

Oh! I love this bit! 

• Like 2

The Sarcastic Computator

2 hours ago, deftona said:

Oh! I love this bit! 

Yeah, it's been on my radar at least since last winter when I had to explain to some friends why I love running in the rain. (Everything smells different! There are puddles to jump in or jump over! Jumping is fun! I can come home covered in mud! Running in the rain feels like an adventure!) Unfortunately rainy season has ended, although we're still in the thick of June Gloom. 

The only issue with this goal is that I don't really know how to make it actionable... But I could probably come up with some specifics that would at least contribute to the points listed. 

• Like 3
21 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Title liable to change once I figure out what I'm actually doing. 

Not sure what my challenge will actually be yet but it's good to get started so here're some things I'm thinking about and some things I know are coming up this month: 

2. Write every day. I'll be participating in a fanworks exchange in my fandom this month anyway so I'll need to step it up in this arena. 
3. Do something active every day. Use your judgement as to whether or not it counts.
4. Create a life plan. The 4WC Planning Worksheet is a decent place to start, but there're lots of things to do in this vein. 
5. Minimize room. Can't work on this until I go home in two weeks but it's always good to shed extra junk. Minimalism is calling me. 
6. Finish TEFL. Program expires on 26/7 so I have exactly one month to finish it. Once done, I can start job searching for a job I actually want (yaaaay escape customer service!) 
7. Serve half of what you want to eat at every meal. If I'm desperately hungry, I can always go back for more, but I tend to always "finish my plate" so mindfully serving less might help. 

When I know what I'm doing I'll come up with scoring criteria. 

For your minimize room, have you thought about how you are going to do it? I do a thing called declutter 365 where I just find one thing a day to purge, either in the trash or give away to charity. It may help. And again, its not as overwhelming as saying "I am going to get rid of everything I don' t need today."

Maybe you could do something similar with your life plan and just work on it a bit a day for the challenge. It is just me thinking out loud.

I am sure you will come up with a great system. I look forward to following along

• Like 1

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

37 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

For your minimize room, have you thought about how you are going to do it? I do a thing called declutter 365 where I just find one thing a day to purge, either in the trash or give away to charity. It may help. And again, its not as overwhelming as saying "I am going to get rid of everything I don' t need today."

Maybe you could do something similar with your life plan and just work on it a bit a day for the challenge. It is just me thinking out loud.

I am sure you will come up with a great system. I look forward to following along

This is really useful advice because I am definitely the type to say "I will do it all today!" and then get overwhelmed and not finish and hide from my failure (aka not deal with the huge mess I made during part 1 of "do all the things"). 

Especially for the life plan it seems like a good idea, but for minimizing, I do not have a year to go through everything slowly. If I'm still living in my old bedroom at my parent's house in a year, I will be a very, very sad wobbegong. However, going through it over the course of a month does sound doable. On the minimalists blog, there's a 21-day journey into minimalism (that actually looks a little intense and not necessarily doable in my mother's house but maybe). I was planning to reread Marie Kondo's "Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up" during 0 week and maybe also take a look at Fumio Sasaki's "Goodbye, Things." 

But yes, planning an approach that doesn't involve doing everything in a day sounds like a good idea. As the Declutter 365 people said, "we were worried we would get rid of things we need and keep things we don't" and that doesn't sound very useful. 

• Like 2

Unfuck Your Habitat is my fave for cleaning/organizing/etc. It's not strictly minimizing but it's definitely motivation for getting shit in order.

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

1 hour ago, fleaball said:

Unfuck Your Habitat is my fave for cleaning/organizing/etc. It's not strictly minimizing but it's definitely motivation for getting shit in order.

Ok so aside from looking for ways to donate books I've just spent the last hour poking around this website, and there's still so much content left to review. Whew! This is why I don't have a tumblr lol. 

I do like the idea of reminders for orderliness, but I'm definitely on the "pare down so there's less shit to get disorderly in the first place" train at this point. But you're right it's a good kick in the pants either way. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

This is really useful advice because I am definitely the type to say "I will do it all today!" and then get overwhelmed and not finish and hide from my failure (aka not deal with the huge mess I made during part 1 of "do all the things"). 

Especially for the life plan it seems like a good idea, but for minimizing, I do not have a year to go through everything slowly. If I'm still living in my old bedroom at my parent's house in a year, I will be a very, very sad wobbegong. However, going through it over the course of a month does sound doable. On the minimalists blog, there's a 21-day journey into minimalism (that actually looks a little intense and not necessarily doable in my mother's house but maybe). I was planning to reread Marie Kondo's "Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up" during 0 week and maybe also take a look at Fumio Sasaki's "Goodbye, Things." 

But yes, planning an approach that doesn't involve doing everything in a day sounds like a good idea. As the Declutter 365 people said, "we were worried we would get rid of things we need and keep things we don't" and that doesn't sound very useful. 

Well, I know the living at home is temporary, but I didn't expect you to do it for a year. Maybe a month or so. Or even set a 3 things a day goal.  I know I can't do the whole house ina day, but after over 2 years of it (We had a ton of baby stuff and Youngest is 9) I am finally feeling like I am getting somewhere. Plus, I have time to think "Will I miss this in 10 years...)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Well, I know the living at home is temporary, but I didn't expect you to do it for a year. Maybe a month or so. Or even set a 3 things a day goal.  I know I can't do the whole house ina day, but after over 2 years of it (We had a ton of baby stuff and Youngest is 9) I am finally feeling like I am getting somewhere. Plus, I have time to think "Will I miss this in 10 years...)

Well, now that I've realized this challenge actually starts the day I get back home, I'm thinking I probably will make minimalism a challenge goal. Spend a month working on it, but taking it one day at a time, don't try to do every little thing at once. It's great to hear that approach is finally starting to pay off for you, too! 

Of course, ask me again in two weeks (when the challenge starts and I've spent a day or two on it) if I still feel so gung-ho... lol. We shall see. 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Marie Kondo's "Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up"

Kondo worked for me, even though I haven't completed absolutely everything.  But the concept of categories really resonates with me and helps me break things into manageable chunks.  For example, last week I Kondoed summer tops; some time ago I did jumpers and cardigans.  Last year I did stationery and it's still tidy and only replenished as necessary (and I'm a notebook fiend!) :D 

• Like 2

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

14 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Well, now that I've realized this challenge actually starts the day I get back home, I'm thinking I probably will make minimalism a challenge goal. Spend a month working on it, but taking it one day at a time, don't try to do every little thing at once. It's great to hear that approach is finally starting to pay off for you, too! 

Of course, ask me again in two weeks (when the challenge starts and I've spent a day or two on it) if I still feel so gung-ho... lol. We shall see. 

Waiting to see how I feel when the challenge starts makes sense. Granted, that is why I am starting now since I know if I take a break, I will do the "Oh I can do all these bad things since it doesn't matter" It is all about making sure I make the good choices all the time. I just use the challenges as times to add new ones.

Well hopefully you find a way to do the minimalism that will work well for you. I will say when I started to used the 5 minutes in the basement, it took awhile before I really felt like I was making a difference. I just felt like I was doing was moving stuff around. Then one day, I could actually walk down there. Then a bit later I noticed I could really see the floor and it looked cleaner. I guess its that whole, it was happening the whole time, I just didn't see it since I was use to the mess.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vibrantella said:

Kondo worked for me, even though I haven't completed absolutely everything.  But the concept of categories really resonates with me and helps me break things into manageable chunks.  For example, last week I Kondoed summer tops; some time ago I did jumpers and cardigans.  Last year I did stationery and it's still tidy and only replenished as necessary (and I'm a notebook fiend!) :D 

That's awesome! Yeah, I read Kondo's book before and it's definitely motivating but I think I had a bit of trouble with the "spark of joy" sentiment. I Kondoed my whole wardrobe (sort of) but I got a little tripped up between "this item invokes a nostalgic response and I still use it so I might as well keep it" and "I don't really feel passionately about any of my clothes so where's the middle ground...?" Which is why I'm definitely thinking I should re-read it, I'm sure she addressed those issues. But basically I ended up with a wardrobe full of things I do actually wear but still too many of them for my tastes. 

3 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Waiting to see how I feel when the challenge starts makes sense. Granted, that is why I am starting now since I know if I take a break, I will do the "Oh I can do all these bad things since it doesn't matter" It is all about making sure I make the good choices all the time. I just use the challenges as times to add new ones.

Well hopefully you find a way to do the minimalism that will work well for you. I will say when I started to used the 5 minutes in the basement, it took awhile before I really felt like I was making a difference. I just felt like I was doing was moving stuff around. Then one day, I could actually walk down there. Then a bit later I noticed I could really see the floor and it looked cleaner. I guess its that whole, it was happening the whole time, I just didn't see it since I was use to the mess.

Yeah, I'm basically just continuing my previous challenge's goals during zero week but in kind of a "no pressure" way, just to reinforce good habits. If I truly said "oh, two weeks between challenges equals two weeks in the land of do-as-you-please" I would end up gaining ten pounds and probably get depressed. Gotta keep moving! 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

That's awesome! Yeah, I read Kondo's book before and it's definitely motivating but I think I had a bit of trouble with the "spark of joy" sentiment. I Kondoed my whole wardrobe (sort of) but I got a little tripped up between "this item invokes a nostalgic response and I still use it so I might as well keep it" and "I don't really feel passionately about any of my clothes so where's the middle ground...?" Which is why I'm definitely thinking I should re-read it, I'm sure she addressed those issues. But basically I ended up with a wardrobe full of things I do actually wear but still too many of them for my tastes.

Honestly, I Get this. I really don't have much in the way of clothes. To me, they are all dumb looking and its worse when you hate how they look on you. T-shirts for hubby I can steal... Totally okay with. But they are his, I just wear them just about as much, so he calls them ours. Those I get weird about because honestly, how is Mordor is Metal not too cool to throw away?

5 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Yeah, I'm basically just continuing my previous challenge's goals during zero week but in kind of a "no pressure" way, just to reinforce good habits. If I truly said "oh, two weeks between challenges equals two weeks in the land of do-as-you-please" I would end up gaining ten pounds and probably get depressed. Gotta keep moving! 

See and this makes sense. Especially where you are. I am trying to ride the new "I am going to do this" before I crash with the "Realilty hit" so may as well start. I just need some control, and right now, the only thing I can control, is  me. So better to put it to good use and keep going.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2017 at 3:39 PM, Wobbegong said:

Ok so aside from looking for ways to donate books I've just spent the last hour poking around this website, and there's still so much content left to review. Whew! This is why I don't have a tumblr lol. 

I do like the idea of reminders for orderliness, but I'm definitely on the "pare down so there's less shit to get disorderly in the first place" train at this point. But you're right it's a good kick in the pants either way. 

I think I'm on the purge train too. It's been two years since I got married and I still haven't even used some of the wedding gifts. Time for them to find homes with someone who actually will use them. Otherwise they are just eating up my precious precious space in my tiny tiny kitchen. 

Going to do what I can to follow people more this challenge. Excited to see what you decide to tackle! :) 

• Like 2

Rebel Death Knight

Level 3 : Progress [ = _ _ _ ]

Challenges: [4] Current / 3 / 2 / 1

Thanks @Hymnusal! I'm excited to have you here. Please cheer for me! (Whatever I end up doing.)

I totally feel you on the tiny kitchen thing. I was looking at this book and while I'm not sure I'll buy it I do think the author has a good point. The book is really just her examination of what she owns, but from the "look inside" peek I saw, it looks like it's in a very thoughtful, "what do I actually use" way, and she takes care to reiterate that the things that work for her may not work for everyone else. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

I would probably do the same thing if I didn't have a challenge. The idea of two zero weeks (or a 6 week challenge) was a little much though, so I made a simple 2-week challenge.

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

On 6/26/2017 at 2:13 PM, Wobbegong said:

wholeheartedly

Brene Brown uses this word a lot in Daring Greatly. And it makes world alot easier.

your goals are realistic and meaningful. Your success is only a positive outcome.

• Like 1

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

14 hours ago, Hymnusal said:

I think I'm on the purge train too. It's been two years since I got married and I still haven't even used some of the wedding gifts. Time for them to find homes with someone who actually will use them. Otherwise they are just eating up my precious precious space in my tiny tiny kitchen. 

Going to do what I can to follow people more this challenge. Excited to see what you decide to tackle! :) 

I have some of those wedding gifts (mostly crystal) and we have been married 15 years. I get it. But mine are luckily in a safe spot in another room where I don't think about them much.

14 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Thanks @Hymnusal! I'm excited to have you here. Please cheer for me! (Whatever I end up doing.)

I totally feel you on the tiny kitchen thing. I was looking at this book and while I'm not sure I'll buy it I do think the author has a good point. The book is really just her examination of what she owns, but from the "look inside" peek I saw, it looks like it's in a very thoughtful, "what do I actually use" way, and she takes care to reiterate that the things that work for her may not work for everyone else. 

I may look into the book. My kitchen is rather full, but most of it is stuff I use like the canning supplies and things. I do need to empty out the kid cabinet since the agents are finally using adult plates and cups. I keep some around for my nieces and nephews tho.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

I would probably do the same thing if I didn't have a challenge. The idea of two zero weeks (or a 6 week challenge) was a little much though, so I made a simple 2-week challenge.

Yeeeeeah. Two challenges ago (not the one that just ended, but the one before) I respawned and showed up halfway through the challenge, so I just said fuck it and made a two week challenge. It was the first one I ever finished! And off of that momentum, I was able to finish my first 4WC! So 2WCs are great, definitely go for it. 

12 hours ago, Butternut said:

Brene Brown uses this word a lot in Daring Greatly. And it makes world alot easier.

your goals are realistic and meaningful. Your success is only a positive outcome.

I might have to check that out. In fact, I'll open an(other) Amazon tab right now so I don't forget! 

What does "my success is only a positive outcome" mean? Is it "success is only one positive outcome of many" or "success can only be positive"? I haven't been very successful yet but I do look forward to changing that!

3 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I may look into the book. My kitchen is rather full, but most of it is stuff I use like the canning supplies and things. I do need to empty out the kid cabinet since the agents are finally using adult plates and cups. I keep some around for my nieces and nephews tho.

Yeah, I'm from a big Irish Catholic family so there're always children running around at family events who need break-proof cups especially. (They don't usually run around with plates.) But overall, if you're not feeding kids multiple times a day on that hardware, you could probably let go of a lot of it. 

• Like 4

UPDATE

(original goal ideas list:)

Spoiler

So at this point I'm definitely thinking working on minimalism (goal #5) will be a thing, although I'm still deciding how exactly I want to pursue it.

Goals 2 and 6 are going to have to happen one way or another because deadlines, but I don't want to clutter up my challenge with all these "life" goals (even though historically "fitness" goals are usually the worst for me and "life" goals tend to be more in line with stuff I really like. Since those two are happening anyway, it kind of feels like a cop-out to double down on them by giving them challenge points here too). 

Since goals 2 and 6 are happening one way or another, I'm a little concerned about having enough time to do goal 5, but at the same time I genuinely think clearing out a bunch of stuff will make me much, much happier, as well as more productive overall. 

I really want to do goal 1 just in general but I think it may need to take a backseat this time around and have a whole challenge dedicated just to it in the future. Especially because a. I don't have actionable goals related to it yet and b. it seems like some extra research on what exactly I mean and what other people have done could help a lot. So I will delegate that to August. 

This leaves goals 3, 4, and 7. 3 and 7 (exercising more and eating less, respectively) are the only two (aside from 1, maybe) that are actually in line with NF suggestions for 4WCs, so I'll probably go with those. I might make 4 my 0 week challenge just to knock it out of the way, but then again, 2 and 6 probably need to take priority... hroooooom. 

So much to do, so much to think about! For now, I think I'll say I'm leaning towards using just those three for this challenge, though: #3, exercise every day; #5, minimize room; and #7, serve half of what you want. I tried #7 last night and ate the perfect amount, so that was fantastic. 

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm open to them, please hit me up. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Yeah, I'm from a big Irish Catholic family so there're always children running around at family events who need break-proof cups especially. (They don't usually run around with plates.) But overall, if you're not feeding kids multiple times a day on that hardware, you could probably let go of a lot of it. 

Well, the good things is no, we are not feeding off it, however, most of this family (They are choosen, not blood) is just starting to have kids. So ina  couple weeks, aside from my agents, I will have a 5 year old, a 3 year old, a 15 month old and a 11 month old running around who needs the plates and things. Maybe more. so it easier if I keep a couple sets around since almost all of these families drive at least 4 hours and it cuts down on what they have to pack. Its the same reason I still own the Agents' high chair and pack n play and toys. The hardware stage is hard enough without those having to come too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

So at this point I'm definitely thinking working on minimalism (goal #5) will be a thing, although I'm still deciding how exactly I want to pursue it.

Goals 2 and 6 are going to have to happen one way or another because deadlines, but I don't want to clutter up my challenge with all these "life" goals (even though historically "fitness" goals are usually the worst for me and "life" goals tend to be more in line with stuff I really like. Since those two are happening anyway, it kind of feels like a cop-out to double down on them by giving them challenge points here too). 

Since goals 2 and 6 are happening one way or another, I'm a little concerned about having enough time to do goal 5, but at the same time I genuinely think clearing out a bunch of stuff will make me much, much happier, as well as more productive overall. 

I really want to do goal 1 just in general but I think it may need to take a backseat this time around and have a whole challenge dedicated just to it in the future. Especially because a. I don't have actionable goals related to it yet and b. it seems like some extra research on what exactly I mean and what other people have done could help a lot. So I will delegate that to August. 

This leaves goals 3, 4, and 7. 3 and 7 (exercising more and eating less, respectively) are the only two (aside from 1, maybe) that are actually in line with NF suggestions for 4WCs, so I'll probably go with those. I might make 4 my 0 week challenge just to knock it out of the way, but then again, 2 and 6 probably need to take priority... hroooooom. 

So much to do, so much to think about! For now, I think I'll say I'm leaning towards using just those three for this challenge, though: #3, exercise every day; #5, minimize room; and #7, serve half of what you want. I tried #7 last night and ate the perfect amount, so that was fantastic. 

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm open to them, please hit me up. 

I think you have a good grasp on this> I think you are right that goal 1 might need its own challenge, and maybe a bit more definition. I think 3 may need a bit more definition. Being active is good, but if I didn't have a set "This is what needs done" i would probably lie to myself and say "Hey, I carried the trash to the curb, that counts." But if you think you can be that clear with yourself, then it would work (I just know, there are days that lazy bum side is very loud).

For 5, how are you thinking of doing the minimizing? Are you going to set a time to work in your room, or a number of things to go?

I think 7 sounds good, so keep it the way you have it.

• Like 1