The Assassins' Den

Hazard

2 hours ago, Jonesy said:

This might be an interesting/scary/depressing/inspiring week. 

At least it's a Tina week and not Louise? (That's an impressive list of adjectives!)

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Learning the art of Failing Upwards... (or: Moving Mountains with Teaspoons!)

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

My minichallenge answer for today is: Because no matter how good or bad of shape I've been in - I've been ashamed of my body as far back as I can remember, and I don't want be.

• Like 3

You haven't seen my Final Form

There is only one god, its name is death; and there is only one thing we say to death: "Not today"

Wow, this has been quite the fall into the rabbit hole.  Peeling back the onion layers of my motivation rationale:

Layer 1: To look good

Layer 2: I will see my family this summer for the first time since I started working out, I want them to notice how much I have changed (fat to muscle conversion) since they last saw me

Layer 3: Mostly my oldest brother.  Growing up he was my hero and he was always the biggest, the fastest and in the best shape.  I want his approval for all the progress I have made

• Like 4
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24High School [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Day 2

A: Because I (don't) feel like it I guess.

From a chatbox convo with someone

Me: I have a very sweet kitty on my lap now

Her: glsd ou are happy at hor

Her: home

Me: she's holding my right hand hostage

Me: Well I am but I'm not

Me: No job right now so I'm just coasting and when I coast for more than a few weeks at a time I become a deadbeat

Her: no youwont

Me: Happens every summer break

Me: Except I've graduated so I don't have fall classes to look forward to anymore

Me: Especially since I'm looking to change my field of specialty

Me: I love music performance but as a career it isn't very lucrative

Me: I've always had an aptitude for science so I've been considering med school

Me: Although computer science (of which I have very little experience) would be more attainable in the shorter term

Me: And with less drama than any medical profession

Me: My uncle has a bachelor's in computer engineering and gets to name his salary because his skills are in such high demand, and he's good at it and he enjoys it

Her: sweety. you decide make up your ming

Me: oh right, that's a thing

Me: actually making decisions for myself

Me: decision making is hard and i have a tendency to never do it and leave it to the last second if i do it at all

Her: research

Me: Even took me forever to decide on Tonic Peddler as a craft here

Me: research is one way I procrastinate

Her: see where you are more sitiable

Her: even if you take aptitude test

Me: For example, getting a second bachelor's in computer science is much cheaper than going to medical school anywhere

Her: yes it is

Me: If I go to med school I want to specialize in pathology. That entire track is ten years. Four years of med school, then internship, residency, and a 2-year fellowship

Me: Plus the amount of time it'll take for me to catch up on stuff I need to learn for the MCAT

Me: As much as I love learning

Me: On the other hand, computer science kind of goes with my current interest in linguistics (I speak Spanish (not well) and I've learned Esperanto and am learning Japanese)

Me: Plus I wouldn't have to work directly with people

Me: Not a lot of women who are into computer science so companies could hire me and claim they're being equalist or whatever

Me: In this age, there will always be a need for better computer programmers and whatnot

Me: Unless of course an EMP happens in which case technology will be obsolete and I'll be out of a job again.

Me: I also like art but that's not lucrative, and I'd rather not turn that into something I /have/ to do

Me: With computer science, I could do digital art I guess

Me: Or program various medical devices or something

Me: The more I think about it, the more it sounds to me like computer science would culminate most of my interests

Me: Except, emotionally speaking, I regard the industry with complete neutrality while I've always been drawn to the other things I've mentioned.  Art. Music. Medicine. Even math.

Me: Languages, to a lesser degree.

Everything I've ever done I've done because I felt like it I guess.

Learning languages because I felt like it.

Taking extra math courses because I felt like it.

Not applying to med school despite wanting to go because I didn't feel like applying.

Watching Khan Academy videos on algorithms because I felt like it.

Did a four-year degree in music performance because I felt like it.

Impulsive much?

• Like 2

Snickie | Level 25 Female Human

Assassin-ish | Level ??? | tall skinny female stick figure

STR med | AGI low | DEX high | CON med | WIS ??? | CHA ???

Current Challenge: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Top right down arrow > Account Settings > Signature

I meant to post yesterday and didn't so here's two days worth of introspection in one go! ;)

This week I want you to ask yourself what it is that is driving your quest(s); your current challenge goals, your longer term goals, your Level 50 Epic goals.  The Life, Universe, and Everything that you envision for yourself.

Day 2: Because, when in doubt, always be Batman. I want to be able to do at least some of the cool human tricks that everyone else can do, just because it's cool. Incredibly shallow motivation, but hey, 'learn cool human tricks' is one of the reasons I can play computer games on my treadmill! :lol:

Day 3: Because I want to be 'productive' and 'accomplished', one of those folks that people say 'Now that's a person who is an Adult!' ... I fear this will never happen. But if I can just get a little bit better at being a grownup every day, then it has to happen eventually, right? *clings to hope*

responsibility14.png

Go read this if you haven't seen it before! :D http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/06/this-is-why-ill-never-be-adult.html

• Like 4

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

I feel like I should post here too for some accountability:

S: I don't want to identify/be identified as a fat person
S: I don't want to be limited in my activities
M: I want to be able to admire myself, and be admired 
T: So I can prove to myself and others (particularly those who knew me growing up) that I can do it and they're not actually better than me like I always felt growing up

They definitely aren't as noble as I'd like, but so far they feel the most true
  • Like 3

"You can have what you want, or you can have something better"

Character Page                Current Challenge    

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

PACT challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

To set an example for my patients and my family.

To no longer feel inferior or held back because of my weight.

To gain more confidence and be proud of my appearance.

Starting Weight: 290 lbs

Main Quest: Reach my Ideal Body Weight of 190 lbs

Today's answer: Because I like the way I look now (and secretly I want others to like the way I look too)

• Like 4

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24High School [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

21 hours ago, sylph said:

This week I want you to ask yourself what it is that is driving your quest(s); your current challenge goals, your longer term goals, your Level 50 Epic goals.  The Life, Universe, and Everything that you envision for yourself.

Today's answer (and most days, probably): vanity. ;)

Today: I like defying people's expectations (which is probably a subset of vanity). I am a small, female person. I like surprising people with the unexpected--pull ups, BW bench press (getting back to this eventually), riding a motorcycle... Apparently I care a lot about what other people think?

• Like 4

I'm not doing a current challenge, because it would be yet another "keep it up while finishing school," but my current day-to-day goal is pretty much that: just keep going. Long-term, my goal is to be a badass 100-year-old, still active and kicking butt. 

I'd say I'm partly motivated by wanting to stay healthy and active in order to live longer (realizing that's not a guarantee) and partly motivated by wanting to look good (to myself) and feel strong. 

• Like 2

Manarelle the Level 54 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Mountains-and-Teaspoons-Heraldic-Shield-227-x-300.jpgThis week I want you to ask yourself what it is that is driving your quest(s); your current challenge goals, your longer term goals, your Level 50 Epic goals.  The Life, Universe, and Everything that you envision for yourself.

Day 4: I really really really want to murder my anti-finishing bug where I will give up on a project before I finish it. Eating better, getting in shape, learning to Do The Things, all of it! I want to accomplish the goals and check off the things... and not get distracted by the newest shiny thing that pops up. I want to Do The Things so I get better at Doing The Things. To that, if I don't try I won't ever get better, so even if I fail all these 4-week challenge at least they keep me moving in the right direction. :)

Here's to moving mountains with teaspoons!

• Like 2

Day 5: "You are what you leave behind."

• Like 3

Day: whatever day this is

Not sure if it is an addiction or a habit, but I tried to imagine myself not exercising at all and couldn't do it

• Like 4

Level 2 Ninja

On 7/19/2017 at 9:46 AM, Manarelle said:

I'm not doing a current challenge, because it would be yet another "keep it up while finishing school," but my current day-to-day goal is pretty much that: just keep going. Long-term, my goal is to be a badass 100-year-old, still active and kicking butt. 

I'd say I'm partly motivated by wanting to stay healthy and active in order to live longer (realizing that's not a guarantee) and partly motivated by wanting to look good (to myself) and feel strong. 

I'm about halfway convinced that society will experience a massive upheaval in my lifetime, and I'd like to have at least a fighting chance of surviving it, be it zombies, anarchy, collapse of the government, outside invasion (terrestrial or not) or what have you. 

• Like 4

Day 4 - because someone else suggested it and it didn't sound like a terrible idea so I went with it

Day 5 - because I signed up for it so the least I can do is see it through

• Like 3

On Friday (July 21st), I want you to then sit down with your list of answers and read them out loud to yourself.  Take a moment to pause after each one and give it just a little more thought.  See how true it rings now.  See which one really jumps out at you as being the Truest for you. That one is, quite possibly, your real Big Why.

Day 6 (Final Answer): It's a bit silly, but I'm back to wanting to be Batman again. It would be so awesome to be one of the people who can do cool human tricks and I keep wanting to do things that require all sorts of skills (and muscles) that I don't have! :lol: I want to get out and go hiking and see all the nature, and I want to go play sword and board with the SCA, and I want to bounce around on jungle gyms and do handstands and balance on things because it's fun. I want to chase that fun, not just sit here and watch other people have it.

• Like 4

On 7/16/2017 at 6:48 PM, Snickie said:

Day 1

A: nothing. 

On 7/17/2017 at 11:57 PM, Snickie said:

Day 2

A: Because I (don't) feel like it I guess.

Reveal hidden contents

From a chatbox convo with someone

Me: I have a very sweet kitty on my lap now

Her: glsd ou are happy at hor

Her: home

Me: she's holding my right hand hostage

Me: Well I am but I'm not

Me: No job right now so I'm just coasting and when I coast for more than a few weeks at a time I become a deadbeat

Her: no youwont

Me: Happens every summer break

Me: Except I've graduated so I don't have fall classes to look forward to anymore

Me: Especially since I'm looking to change my field of specialty

Me: I love music performance but as a career it isn't very lucrative

Me: I've always had an aptitude for science so I've been considering med school

Me: Although computer science (of which I have very little experience) would be more attainable in the shorter term

Me: And with less drama than any medical profession

Me: My uncle has a bachelor's in computer engineering and gets to name his salary because his skills are in such high demand, and he's good at it and he enjoys it

Her: sweety. you decide make up your ming

Me: oh right, that's a thing

Me: actually making decisions for myself

Me: decision making is hard and i have a tendency to never do it and leave it to the last second if i do it at all

Her: research

Me: Even took me forever to decide on Tonic Peddler as a craft here

Me: research is one way I procrastinate

Her: see where you are more sitiable

Her: even if you take aptitude test

Me: For example, getting a second bachelor's in computer science is much cheaper than going to medical school anywhere

Her: yes it is

Me: If I go to med school I want to specialize in pathology. That entire track is ten years. Four years of med school, then internship, residency, and a 2-year fellowship

Me: Plus the amount of time it'll take for me to catch up on stuff I need to learn for the MCAT

Me: As much as I love learning

Me: On the other hand, computer science kind of goes with my current interest in linguistics (I speak Spanish (not well) and I've learned Esperanto and am learning Japanese)

Me: Plus I wouldn't have to work directly with people

Me: Not a lot of women who are into computer science so companies could hire me and claim they're being equalist or whatever

Me: In this age, there will always be a need for better computer programmers and whatnot

Me: Unless of course an EMP happens in which case technology will be obsolete and I'll be out of a job again.

Me: I also like art but that's not lucrative, and I'd rather not turn that into something I /have/ to do

Me: With computer science, I could do digital art I guess

Me: Or program various medical devices or something

Me: The more I think about it, the more it sounds to me like computer science would culminate most of my interests

Me: Except, emotionally speaking, I regard the industry with complete neutrality while I've always been drawn to the other things I've mentioned.  Art. Music. Medicine. Even math.

Me: Languages, to a lesser degree.

Everything I've ever done I've done because I felt like it I guess.

Learning languages because I felt like it.

Taking extra math courses because I felt like it.

Not applying to med school despite wanting to go because I didn't feel like applying.

Watching Khan Academy videos on algorithms because I felt like it.

Did a four-year degree in music performance because I felt like it.

Impulsive much?

On 7/18/2017 at 9:06 PM, Snickie said:

Day 3

A: because maybe it'll turn out alright? But really I just want to eat and not feel guilty about it

15 hours ago, Snickie said:

Day 4 - because someone else suggested it and it didn't sound like a terrible idea so I went with it

Day 5 - because I signed up for it so the least I can do is see it through

????? (Final answer tbd)

• Like 1

On 7/19/2017 at 8:46 AM, sylph said:

Today: I like defying people's expectations (which is probably a subset of vanity). I am a small, female person. I like surprising people with the unexpected--pull ups, BW bench press (getting back to this eventually), riding a motorcycle... Apparently I care a lot about what other people think?

This still rings pretty true for me today.

My reason for striving to be a badass is so that other people will tell me I'm a badass.

• Like 5
23 hours ago, Manarelle said:

I'm about halfway convinced that society will experience a massive upheaval in my lifetime, and I'd like to have at least a fighting chance of surviving it, be it zombies, anarchy, collapse of the government, outside invasion (terrestrial or not) or what have you. 

I seriously think about this way too much!

DAY 1 - I want to be strong and I want to have healthy habits.

DAY 2 - If I look in shape, maybe someone will love me.

DAY 3 - I take up so much space and I want to be comfortable walking through a crowded bar. Not that I go to bars but it's something I've been embarrassed about in the past. Which is why I don't like to go out to bars or other places where I'm not sure if I'll be able to maneuver around the place without drawing attention to myself. When people ask me to go out, I just say it's not my thing. 

DAY 4 - I'm tired of avoiding looking at myself in mirrors or not taking pictures with people. Do I love myself? Of course. Do I like myself on a personality level? Heck yea! Do I the gift wrapping? Not at all.  

DAY 5 - I want to be able to buy cute outfits at a reasonable price. 

DAY 6 - I like the feeling and confidence I have when I'm doing good, when I'm eating healthy and working out. I like that feeling when I am proud of what I've accomplished. 

• Like 5

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 2020: 1.20  - 2019: 1.19 l 2.19

2018: 1.18 l  2.18 l 3.18 l 4.18 l 5.18 l 6.18 l 7.18

2017: 1.17 I 2.17 I 3.17 I 4.17 I 5.17 l 6.17 l 7.17 l 8.17 I 9.17 l 10.17  

2016: 1.16 l 2.16 l DA v.1 l DA v.2 I DA v.2 Reloaded I DA v.3 I DA v.4 I 8.16 I 9.16 I DA v.5 I 11.16 

2012: 1 2013: 2 l 3 l 4 l 5 l 6 l 7 l 8 2014: 9 l 10 l Not Done Yet l Time to Conquer l  Conquering 

Fitocracy  GoodReads

HFC for Life!

Bottom line: I feel better when I work out and eat mindfully. Maybe not at the time it's happening, but overall. Yes, I want to be healthy, look good, accomplish things, etc, but the memory of constantly feeling icky and uncomfortable is what ultimately gets my butt in gear when I don't want to. 

• Like 4

Completing the second minichallenge quest.  My Big Why that feels truest for me is: For happiness.  I do what I do both because I suspect/hope it will lead to future happiness, and also because I try to do things that make me happy now, in the moment of doing.   

It's an "enjoy the journey" kind of thing.  No goal I can think of that I've ever reached has made up for suffering an unhappy journey to reach it.  I always remember the time - what feels like wasted time - being spent unhappy to get there.  There's many ways to reach the same destinations.  If the path I'm on consistently sucks, it makes total sense to me to hop off it and try for a happier path.

Being happy on the journey toward a goal, I've found, is every bit as important for me as the happiness that comes with reaching the goal.  Possibly even more so.

• Like 7

You haven't seen my Final Form

There is only one god, its name is death; and there is only one thing we say to death: "Not today"

I have a lot of reasons why I do this, but in the end they all come down vanity (#like@sylph )

• Like 4

Level 2 Ninja

Answers:

S: I don't want to identify/be identified as a fat person
S: I don't want to be limited in my activities
M: I want to be able to admire myself, and be admired 
T: So I can prove to myself and others (particularly those who knew me growing up) that I can do it and they're not actually better than me like I always felt growing up
W: I want to be in control, not addicted to food or feeling like I don't have a choice
T: So I can do cool things like super heroes
F: Overall I'm quite happy with my life, and I'm pretty much where I want to be in all areas but physically. I guess I'm looking for a feeling of completion in that sense. 

Most truest: 

I think the one for today rings the most true overall, which is interesting, because I've never thought of it that way before, it just sort of came to me. I think that is also in some ways part of the reason it's been hard for me to stick to my goals - I don't have as much motivation from other important areas of my life because overall I feel pretty good about them. I guess that's a blessing really, and it also might be why my other answers feel pretty shallow. My physical state is a weakness, and I want to make it a strength. 
  • Like 4

"You can have what you want, or you can have something better"

Character Page                Current Challenge    

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

PACT challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

To set an example for my patients and my family.

To no longer feel inferior or held back because of my weight.

To gain more confidence and be proud of my appearance.

Starting Weight: 290 lbs

Main Quest: Reach my Ideal Body Weight of 190 lbs